« Kwame Brown out tonight | Main | Augustin, Livingston miss practice »

March 29, 2011

Two post-game thoughts

-- Everyone who thought Garrett Temple would be essential to beating the Milwaukee Bucks tonight, raise your hand….OK, Garrett’s mom and Garrett’s agent, put down your hands…

This was fun to watch, and while the Bobcats were certainly lucky to win – that was Paul Silas’s stated impression – I appreciated the Bobcats’ perseverance.

To all of you who say the Bobcats should be tanking games, that’s not how athletes think, and you don’t want to set that precedent.

-- I got an email today from a reader saying I should stop writing about playoff implications and that the Bobcats would be much better off chasing lottery luck.

I get that email a lot, and frankly it disregards how the weighted draft lottery works these days. If you’re one of the last teams to reach the playoffs, you have a miniscule chance of a top-3 pick (about a 1 percent chance for each of those picks). Meanwhile the Bobcats would have a far greater chance (about nine percent) of actually moving DOWN in the draft order.

The playoffs are fun, and even if they were clobbered in the first round, the Bobcats would gain experience by participating. You can’t convince me finishing ninth in the East is better than finishing eighth. And you sure don’t want to send the message to players that losing is ever better than winning.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM | Permalink

Comments

I always thought this guy had talent Rick, Why this guy was an allstar NBA dleaguer and u wonder why the Spurs liked this guy. I just wish he got more time, He is bigger than most guys like Liv but more of a mobile guard. So I guess I would be the third hand raised.

Posted by: tbird | Mar 29, 2011 12:27:30 AM

What's the deal with DJ's injury rickalicious?
Is it big or meh?

Posted by: jumpinjehosophat | Mar 29, 2011 12:41:09 AM

My sentiments exactly on the value of the playoffs vs. moving up a spot or two in the draft order. I'd take another first round sweep over a bitter 9th place finish in a heartbeat.

GO CATS!

Posted by: Newsinz | Mar 29, 2011 6:46:54 AM

tbird, to be fair, Alexis Ajinca was also a NBADL all-star.

And I'm digging this "Rickalicious" nickname.

Posted by: Ben Swanson | Mar 29, 2011 6:54:31 AM

That was a pretty gritty win. They pulled it off though. If they could play that hard every game they wouldn't be chasing that 8th spot. I agree with your saying that the players want to compete and not just give the game away. I don't think they would be playing at this level if they didn't play to win.

Posted by: digal704 | Mar 29, 2011 7:55:09 AM

Rick - do you have any info on the injuries to DJ and Shaun? Hopefully they were not as bad as they looked. You could hear how hard Shaun hit the floor from the upper level.

Posted by: PantherDave | Mar 29, 2011 8:10:30 AM

Went to the game last night, maybe a few thousand other people there. Terrible attendance. I'm normally a college basketball fan, but was given some free tickets and decided to go.

I was glad the Bobcats won, and they were able to pull it out when it mattered and didn't give up. However, what a poor display of negative body language. Every single time a player on the Bobcats felt he got the short end of the stick on a foul, no call or turnover, he sat there sulking about it.

Suck it up, act like a man and play the game instead of acting like a friggin' baby! I saw Diaw turn it over a couple of times where he apparently thought he was fouled and it resulted in a fast break for the Bucks. Instead of hustling down the floor to play defense, he chose to complain to the official, then sulk, then move down the floor at a leisurely pace, making his teammates pick up the defensive slack.

Don't even get me started on defense in the NBA, that's a lost cause already. The lackluster defensive effort on both ends of the floor had me laughing. Pretty soon the NBA will turn into a simple shooting competition, where neither the Bucks nor Bobcats will fare very well, given they could only manage 86 and 87 points last night, respectively.

The main thing I took away from that game was the poor attitudes and body language from the Bobcats players, though. For a team that amazingly has a shot at making the playoffs despite being 11 games below .500 (seriously?!?!?), they should play with much better attitudes and enthusiasm. Compared to the collegiate game, those guys, though hugely talented, were sleepwalking out there.

Posted by: GK | Mar 29, 2011 8:57:09 AM

I would like to see them get some playoff experience and think it'd be great to be able to watch the cats play for a while longer.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 29, 2011 8:58:10 AM

digal704 - I think they do play hard every night. They did seem to give up vs Indy once they got down by double digits, but every team has those nights every so often. These guys have been playing hard since Silas took over.

I agree, 8th is always better than 9th. And when you consider how rotten our luck has been in the lottery - not who we have drafted, but where we have drafted - you realize that tanking games is absurd. Remember 2005, when we had the 3rd worst record headed into the draft and managed to see 2 teams with better records get top 3 spots? If we were in the 3rd slot as we should have been, Chris Paul would be our point guard right now. So no thank you, I'll pass on tanking games and depending on dumb luck to get a top 3 pick.

Posted by: J | Mar 29, 2011 9:23:22 AM

GK: A monday night game with 2 sub 500 teams a day after the elite 8 and you're wondering why attendance was low? You should have been there Sat. night. The place was packed to the gills.

Posted by: apauldds | Mar 29, 2011 9:56:47 AM

I was one of the people who thought they should tank/draft. But I came to understand that the draft is exactly what it says: A lottery. A whole year of development isn't worth a "chance" to draft a superstar (we all know MJ and Co. aren't adept at drafting well). So lets build up DJ, Hendo, TT and show them that hard work wins seasons, no the luck of the lottery.

Posted by: On and On | Mar 29, 2011 10:42:37 AM

I'll update the injury situation after practice today, because no one knew much last night. My guess is Livingston will play, even though that looked worse. He was really sore, but once you knew he didn't seriously damage his back, that was about pain, not injury. D.J.'s ankle could cost him time.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Mar 29, 2011 10:50:11 AM

apauldds - the game Saturday was DURING the elite 8 and it drew better. That nullifies your argument. Go to Utah, go to Golden State or go to Phoenix. None of these teams are any closer to playoff contention than the Bobcats are and they are either sold out or close to sold out on any night of the week. I hate to say it but intest here is lacking, period. Not because of your rationale. I am a season ticket holder and each year I hope things change and that we'll get more interest but we never do. It is very discouraging.

Posted by: steve | Mar 29, 2011 11:20:25 AM

apauldds - I honestly didn't expect a packed house. It was a weeknight game against a team without superstar quality, a big market or a winning record. However, when I can count the number of folks in a number of upper sections on my fingers and toes, that's pretty lousy.

It also didn't help that the few fans sitting around me (section 114) seemed to enjoy making fun of the Bobcats' level of play. The level of support for this team really doesn't seem to be all that high. If they can make the playoffs, that will certainly help create a great environment, so I really hope they do.

Posted by: GK | Mar 29, 2011 11:58:26 AM

Big Ben,
buddy I don't think Alexis Ajinca was that bad of a player. No player will be good if they sit on the bench for LB. And to answer your question Rick and all the others. DJ A and Liv are gametime decisions, but Kwame is expected to be back in the line up. It is great to see Kwame family doing well.

Posted by: tbird | Mar 29, 2011 1:28:38 PM

I was proud of the Bobcats last night, However was scared s#!tless.

W/out Kwame,DJ and Livingston at the end... Bobcats should feel good and proud, use this momentum all week this week.

Rick right on... Nickname lol! I don't know about that. to easy to shorten to "Liciuos" or "aliciuos".

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Mar 29, 2011 1:59:15 PM

Sorry about my spelling of the Nickname.

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Mar 29, 2011 2:01:15 PM

According to sports karma law, the best way to approach this situation is to root for the Bobcats to make the playoffs.

Posted by: Hal Bialeck | Mar 29, 2011 10:39:24 PM

I am often disappointed with attendance. I have to make nearly a 250 mile round trip and still manage to attend 25% of the home games. I would attend all of them if I lived near Charlotte.

I love college basketball (live on Tobacco Road) but for those who thinks there is no defense in the NBA then explain why many of the top scorers in college basketball struggle to score in the NBA. Adam Morrison isn't the only one. Logic tells me that scoring should be easier when the defense is inferior.

Posted by: Murrell | Mar 30, 2011 12:23:45 AM

Rick - can you explain your math on the 9%?

If the Bobcats finish with #11 pick, I can see where the chances of them getting Top 3 is 1%, but how could the chances of them getting a worse pick be 9%? If all three teams below them in the lottery magically got the Top 3 picks and the Bobcats fell to #14, I can't see how that has a 9% probability. I think it's 1 in 1000 as only 1 of the 'ping pong' ball combinations would have that outcome (if that). I don't recall, but I think only 1 team can move up - not 3.

Posted by: bobnfan1 | Mar 30, 2011 9:59:54 AM