« Silas will sit injured Jackson | Main | Bobcats make Temple official »

March 05, 2011

Wallace: Bobcats betrayed me

Clearly, ex-Charlotte Bobcat Gerald Wallace hasn’t gotten over the shock and hurt he felt over being suddenly traded to the Portland Trail Blazers last month.

“Basically, you feel betrayed by somebody you love,’’ Wallace told the Observer before Saturday’s Blazers-Bobcats game. “I totally didn’t see it coming. I’d been there seven long years and then you feel like you’re not wanted anymore. That’s a bad situation to be in, especially for me, who committed so much to the organization.

“I understand the situation – it’s a business and they’re looking to start all over. They wanted cap room, and I guess I was the logical answer for them trying to get draft picks.’’

Wallace is coming off the bench for the Blazers, who have been using him at least as much at power forward as small forward. Wallace said he’s OK with not starting, for now, while he learns coach Nate McMillan’s system, but expects to get into the starting lineup eventually.

“I told them, I worked so hard to be a starter in this league that I’m looking forward to (getting back to) that,’’ Wallace said. “At the same time, I know this is an adjustment period and I have to learn all of the plays.

“I have confidence in myself that once I get the plays down, I’ll be starting.’’

Wallace has two seasons left on his contract, at $10.5 million each. His family is back in Charlotte, so as not to uproot the children from their schools, but Wallace said he and his wife will come to Portland in the off-season to find a new home.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 5, 2011 at 09:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Gerald has it right that it's a business and that makes it hard to separate the emotional aspects (rejection, impact on his wife and children, etc) vs. the pure analytical business decision aspects.

Gerald has made a real positive impact on the Charlotte community and I hope his family simply rents a home in Portland, keeps the house in South Charlotte and comes back to live here after his playing days are over.

He'll be welcomed in whatever he wants to do in once the basketball career is over.

Hope Gerald or his family read this!

Posted by: bobfan1 | Mar 5, 2011 9:36:06 PM

It's probably the best thing that could have happened to him. At least now he's with a franchise that actually has a clue.

Posted by: TP | Mar 5, 2011 9:46:11 PM

I hope Wallace scores 40 against us tonight. Still a stupid trade.

Posted by: Steve simonetti | Mar 5, 2011 10:03:02 PM

He has a right to feel this way. Having practice, shooting around with MJ, then next thing you know your out the door.

On another matter, I got my "PLAYOFF TICKET" Invoice in the mail today. What a joke. These guys are hurting so much for money - even raised prices for the potential playoff games. I find it humorous that you have to pay half up front, but it can go towards your season tickets for next year. This is a scam in my opinion to get more money on hand. I wish I wouldn't have renewed my seats for next year.

Posted by: I'm Stupid for being a Season Ticket Holder | Mar 5, 2011 10:06:03 PM

It must be a blessing in disguise for Gerald. Can't help but think everything happens for a reason. He was my favorite player, since he's gone I have lost all interest in the Bobcats. He was the heart and soul of the Bobcats to me. I will be pulling for Portland against the Bobcats tonight. I bought a 20 pack and have NO interest in going to any of the remaining games. No one else left on the team works as hard as Gerald did. No one is deserving of being my favorite player now. I guess I will come around...in the meantime I'm a Portland fan! Go Gerald! You're awesome! I will miss you. Hope you read this.

Posted by: Laura | Mar 5, 2011 10:09:59 PM

I agree with Gerald. He was betrayed. What a competitor. He was the heart and soul of the Bobcats. I have difficulty pulling for a team that starts Gerald Henderson, knowing he deliberatly blooded Tyler's nose.

Posted by: wrangler | Mar 5, 2011 10:18:21 PM

Oh MJ hope you are making the right moves for the future. Have a long term plan and stick to it or the Bobcats will be awful for a long time. I mean even worse than a 7 or 8 seed in the east. Learn to draft because this season we probably will have a high draft pick

Posted by: bigdookie33 | Mar 5, 2011 10:18:43 PM

1 - Felton
2 - SJax
3 - Wallace
4 - Tyrus
5 - Chandler

OR

1 - Augustin
2 - Gerald
3 - SJax
4 - Boris
5 - Kwame

What a shame.

Posted by: Adam | Mar 5, 2011 10:52:04 PM

I wanted to see #3 in the rafters.

Posted by: G | Mar 5, 2011 11:00:25 PM

Sure is tough having such cheap owners in Charlotte these days.

Posted by: chris in union county | Mar 5, 2011 11:15:12 PM

I wish I was "kind of betrayed"to the tune of 10,000,000 a year. I hate losing GW,watched him work himself to where he is today and I can understand where he's coming from, but get real dude. Ask Deron Williams!! any NBA player should be ready for the minute they get traded,cut, etc -from day 1. Nobody is going to forget Gerald Wallace and his part of Bobcat History. The place will be loud as helz on friday for him.

Posted by: GWfan | Mar 5, 2011 11:43:28 PM

Note this, at the end of the 3rd..... Bobcats 19 PF to Portlands 9. Now let's see how that gap closes in the 4th!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Mar 5, 2011 11:53:41 PM

MJ think about losing money but how about losing fans before he is only losing money but he lose money at the same time lose fans too see MJ most of the fans they are thingking not to renew their season ticket is that another losing money. Gerald Wallace is an asset player and even can gain more fans because of his hard work what else you want for gerald he is very good in offense and especially in defense good shot blocker monster rebounder only first bobcats player became an All Star he suffered for concusions because of his hard work defense Gerald is not arrogant player he always involve in technical foul this is the worst trade in history in NBA GIVE UP all star player without getting any assurance that you get also best player draft picks is not still sure if you will get a good player???but im still hoping for the best what is the use of having agood coach if you dont have good player to be coach it shoull always balance MR.MJ and what is the use of having good player and good coach if you dont have fans to watch you team???

Posted by: AL BOBCATS | Mar 6, 2011 1:00:13 AM

MJ thinks he is at the roulette table with this franchise..you can't bet your future away by gutting the franchise hoping some 17 year old now in high school will take you to the promise land..

Posted by: david | Mar 6, 2011 1:04:28 AM

Cont. GW IS NOT AN ARROGANT PLAYER BECAUSe HE IS NOT always INVOLVE FOR TECHNICAL FOUL.this is a correction for my first comment.

Posted by: AL BOBCATS | Mar 6, 2011 1:04:51 AM

Production between Wallace and the combination of Cunningham/Pryzbilla were a wash tonight. Wallace went 1-7, 7 pts, 6 rebs, 0 asts, 3 stls, 1 bs. Cunningham/Pryz went 4-7, 9 pts, 5 rebs, 0 asts, 1 stl, 2 bs. Hard for this team to get points on the board without Jack in the lineup.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 6, 2011 1:07:37 AM

Do you agree that Gerald Wallace contributed lots of points when he played in games for the Bobcats? Do you agree that Gerald did not play in every game since the start of the season? Do you agree that an owner should consider changing his roster if his major player is continually hurt and out of the game? Would you agree that it is financially wiser to take a risk on 2 first round picks vs 1 up and down top injured player though you have close ties with him? Do you agree that there is a time frame for owners to trade his players for college picks and/or NBA/CBA players, and that the owners do not always and scouts do not always know what an offer requires? So, now, wouldn't you agree that neither MJ nor his personnel intended to betray Gerald or anyone else for that matter, but that he, MJ, acted in a manner in which he rationalized would bring to Charlotte the best cutting edge players to Charlotte to create an optimal team which could poosibly lead us to a possible championship plus continual sporting entertainment for you, the fan? Though many may have felt betrayed, I hope my comments allow those of you who were hurt to see the trade made for Gerald from a business perspective. In conclusion. Finally, Gerald is still playing for the NBA and making a hefty salary which will permit him to still take care of his family. He will be missed, but MJ does have a business to run!

Posted by: Kayla Wila | Mar 6, 2011 1:57:29 AM

Do you agree that Gerald Wallace contributed lots of points and more when he played in games for the Bobcats?

Would you agree that it is financially wiser to take a risk on 2 first round picks vs 1 up and down top injured player though you have close ties with him? (Gerald whom by the way played many times through his injuries/pain and with greatness and love for the game)!

Do you agree that there is a time frame for owners to trade his players for college picks and/or NBA/CBA players, and that owners and scouts do not always know what an offer/trade requires prior to trade talk?

So, now, wouldn't you agree that neither MJ nor his personnel intended to betray Gerald or anyone else for that matter, but that he, MJ, acted in a manner in which he rationalized would bring Charlotte the best cutting edge players; and create an optimal team which could possibly lead us to a championship and give us continual sports entertainment. I believe MJ did this trade for the benefit of the fan! Remember if you ever came to a game or turn on the tv for a game, you'd always see MJ sitting right there beside Gerald.

Although many of us may have felt betrayed, I hope my comments comfort you, as they did me as well as I, too, as a fan. We all had to accept this trade including MJ. I am sure like you he is still hurting, too. Yet, as a former entrepreneur, I know that the trade made for Gerald was done solely from a business perspective.

Finally, Gerald is still playing for the NBA; and making a hefty salary which does permit him to still take care of his family at the lifestyle level in which he is accustomed. Gerald, I am sure, will be missed dearly, I am sure by MJ, and all of his fans, but MJ does have a business to run and entertainment to bring to us in the Carolinas!

So like I am doing, let's buy our season tickets now because when the Bobcats begin getting into more playoffs, it is going to be difficult and more expensive to buy them later:)! Hey, Charlotte, Let's hope for the Best! See the Glass Half Full!!!! Positive Thoughts!!! Good Luck Gerald!!!!And GoBobcats!
Kayla, A Fan Experience Perspective

Posted by: Kayla Wila | Mar 6, 2011 2:36:37 AM

***** Please note"""""I do not work for the bobcats, I just responded to a comment of the Bobcat page and did not know what URL was needed!!!

Posted by: Kayla Wila | Mar 6, 2011 2:41:09 AM

Playoff tickets, what a joke. These guys are gonna get their asses handed to them every night. I have been a season ticket holder for five years, but I'm pretty much done. I understand trades are sometimes necessary but you are supposed to get value in return. Wallace was the face of the franchise and they traded him for a grab bag. Every year I suffered through losses knowing that one day it would change. Last year was a glimmer of hope pointing to what could be. Now they aren't even competitive with the Washington's and Minnesotas of the world.

Posted by: Claydog | Mar 6, 2011 4:13:21 AM

I'm sure Gerald knows a lot about betrayal, both personal and professional. It's a completely effed up feeling. Nobody is immune to it, nobody! Suck it up and keep it moving.
The NBA should be renamed IAB for "Its A Business ". You hear that all the time from the players.

Posted by: digal704 | Mar 6, 2011 5:03:49 AM

Agreed digal. It's part of the business when you are making almost 10 million guaranteed no matter how poorly you are playing. If you are not happy with their production your only choice is to make a trade and get something in return. I liked Wallace and this team is now painful to watch, but this was the right move. Any real "star" would not have to tell his new team that he wants to be a starter. He might have been our best, but that was leading us no where.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 6, 2011 6:25:30 AM

Hey, bobcat fans..just boycott the games....do you want to see the bobcats lose by 30 points?
Jordan, you are a one foolish idi**

Posted by: championshipss | Mar 6, 2011 6:36:59 AM

ok, gw is gone, deal with it, he can't even crack portland starting line up, this guy is no real star but he was the bobcats first allstar which no one can take away..but he is a little above average at best..we need a real star for this team and i hope mj is working on the cp3 trade, since he is a endorser of the jordan brand

Posted by: teemac1974 | Mar 6, 2011 8:23:58 AM

The primary reason a player gets traded in the NBA is his inability to make a difference at the highest level of competition relative to that players position and as determined by generally accepted criteria of greatness and by those who's job it is to discern and evaluate the players improvement and direct trajectory over time to meet the REQUIREMENT any player has to perform at that level. Gerald Wallace lacks above average skill-skillset ( the primary determinent of a difference maker / greatness in the NBA) in Shooting, Ballhandling, Passing, and Playmaking.He can not and will never be able to draw double teams. He is essentially the player he was in Sacramento. An excellent athlete with easily translatable from that, defensive and rebounding skills. I thought he should have been traded instead of extended several years ago. Ask yourself a simple question: If Wallace were elite, why is he relegated to a bench role in Portland. Melo, J Williams, players who are elite can make a difference in any system. Also, what sealed his fate is that when he was injured the Bobcats ( and im a non fan of them) played played well. This is the best move Jordan has made as an executive in the NBA. Jordan knows of course, what a difference making player is and how they must perform. And as far as his value as " Monster defensive player- energy guy...whatever)Those skills are NOT attributes which contribute PRIMARILY to WINS in playoff NBA series games 2nd round and beyond.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 6, 2011 8:55:36 AM

I agree with you Kayla Wila, Bobcat fans need to look at this glass as HALF FULL!!! Does anyone think this was such an easy decision for Bobcats management to pull the trigger on this trade? This trade went down during the final hours of the last day of the trade deadline. Bobcats management has to do what is best for this organization. I am sure that management realized the impact this trade would have on the fan base, but the long-term future of this team is so important especially with other Eastern conference teams solidifying themselves for playoff success with blockbuster trades. Do you think this team could compete year-to-year for playoffs spots in the East with teams like New York, Chicago, Boston, Orlando, Miami & Atlanta. Then Bobcat fans take a look at young, up-and-coming teams like Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Indiana. Heck, Washington has a very young, athletic and promising core of players. The Bobcats need to make changes within this team in order to compete for playoffs spots for years down the road.

As for G-Dub, we all wish him continued success in Portland, but for him (as a seven year veteran) not to see the business side of NBA trades is amazing. His name came up several times before in trade talks, and this was the same person who was left unprotected on the Kings roster during the expansion draft. Of course any player would feel a sense of immediate betrayal, none the less than Cleveland fans feeling the ultimate betrayal, or Nugget fans or Kendrick Perkins the former Celtic. Will he feel betrayed when he remains the backup power forward on this Blazers team? Will he feel betrayed as the Blazers continue to play him out of position against stronger, taller and more powerful forwards; thus allowing his body to take a pounding night-in and night-out? Will he feel betrayed losing more minutes to Nicolas Batum and Luke Babbitt, young forwards whom the Blazers have vested interests in their continued development?

Better question, do you think Joel Przybilla felt betrayed after being traded from the Trailblazers?

Posted by: WCLionAlumni | Mar 6, 2011 9:22:30 AM

Gerald is smart enough and professional enough to know that he was the only heavily-paid player with any trade value.

Put a fork in this Bobcat team now. Watching grass grow is more entertaining than viewing the last two games.

The sun will rise tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, Mike's plan for next year's version will become a reality.

Posted by: eduardo | Mar 6, 2011 9:51:39 AM

Opt out - come home - finish a Bobcat - first retired number should be our first All Star.

Posted by: onandon | Mar 6, 2011 10:20:13 AM

I had season tickets for 4 years, I liked the direction they were going. Now I gave up all hope... this team is NOT going anywhere anytime soon. I thought they were finally on the right track last year. Now I failed to pay my invoice and totally gave up on MJ.

Posted by: Bobcats Season Ticket Owner | Mar 6, 2011 11:59:57 AM

MJ are you gambling again....???

Are you in debt...?

what is up with the Jordan family....

SLIM SHADY??

Posted by: Scott | Mar 6, 2011 12:34:03 PM

You were a season ticket holder that bought into Bob Johnson and Larry Brown, but are giving up after 1 year with Jordan. Weak. Let me know if your seat location was any good. I know some people that want to watch Harrison Barnes, Kemba Walker, Jajuan Johnson etc play for the Cats next year.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 6, 2011 12:44:33 PM

@WCLionAlumni

Luke Babbitt? Clearly you have no clue about the Blazers. That kid doesn't even get playing time in garbage minutes. He's in the D league right now anyway.

Batum is the real question. I don't see Portland keep both Batum and GW past this summer. One of them will get dealt with Miller and/or Camby for Portland's long term PG/C positions.

As far as Przybilla goes, no he didn't feel betrayed by Portland because he knew it was going to happen. Take note of the numerous standing ovations the guy got last night. Portland LOVES Przybilla. Hopefully he'll come back this summer.

I feel for GW right now. McMillan playing his rotation games isn't fun for vets to deal with, but this year really isn't about winning for Portland as much as evaluation of parts. They have to find out if Roy can play, and having Wallace just makes the roster more flexible to target their desired player this summer. That would be Chris Paul, who they almost got last summer for Miller/Batum/Przybilla. With Chris Paul now being hobbled, I don't know if they'll do it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see either Paul & Okafor or Paul & West in Portland next season.

Posted by: wow | Mar 6, 2011 3:48:40 PM

And one more thing....Please take care of Dante and Joel. They're good guys. Dante deserves a ton of playing time. He's too good of a defender not to.

Posted by: wow | Mar 6, 2011 3:49:43 PM

People complain about this trade and how cheap the owners are but NO one comes to the games. This is a fair weather sports town. You can't have football and basketball if you don't go watch it. Show up on a Wednesday night game against the hawks to cheer on the team and then we can see what happens. As a season ticket holder, the fan support is sad.

Posted by: LB | Mar 6, 2011 4:02:20 PM

No offense, but GW made one all-star game in 7 seasons in the league. He's a good player, but far from great...and hardly worth the "retiring his number" that some of you have mentioned. Seriously?

He's a role player. Role players need a supporting cast around them to be effective. He did not have that here. And with his contract, never would have. We needed cap space and we needed picks. We just accomplished that.

Don't get caught up in the now. Judge this trade three years from now. Three years ago, who cared anything about OKC? Now, there a team on the rise. It takes starting fresh and acquiring super stars in this league.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 6, 2011 4:19:32 PM

zero chance of ever getting barnes. 4 first round picks next two years expect something more like 4 alexis ajinca.

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 6, 2011 5:01:45 PM

@ WOW

My point about Nicolas Batum and Luke Babbitt versus Gerald Wallace is that Batum and Babbitt were first round draft picks. Babbitt, was selected with the 16th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves then shortly traded to the Blazers. Batum was selected with the 25th pick by the Rockets then traded to the Trailblazers. These guys are still young, raw talents and Wallace already has reached his ceiling, talent wise.

Now, I don't follow the Trailblazers regularly so I did not know of Babbitt's assignment to the D-League, but I know that if NBA general managers had to choose between Wallace or Batum or Babbitt as far as long term potential, they would not choose Wallace.

As far as Przybilla, he was initially hoping the Bobcats would buyout his contract so he could return to Portland. He knows the NBA is all about business decisions and he handled the trade the way a true veteran NBA player would, where as Gerald felt betrayed. That is the point I was making.

Posted by: WCLionAlumni | Mar 6, 2011 6:03:20 PM

Nice headline Rick. That is not what he said. Pathetic.

Barnes might be playing his way into a better draft positon, but you might want to start looking at the players coming out. Cats will get some talent.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 6, 2011 7:00:08 PM

While I understand the theory of why Jordan thought it was a good idea of trading GW for draft picks, I have zero confidence in the Bobcats to parlay the draft picks into anything approaching the talent or skills of GW. I also have seen no evidence that the Bobcats will be buyers of quality free agents.

For years, I had a 50% share of two Hornets season tickets for the first several years the Hornets were here. This year, I bought a pair of Bobcats tickets in a 5-game package. I did so even though I was already a little discouraged that the Bobcats had let Felton "walk" away instead of at least doing a "sign-and-trade" deal to get some value for him.

Speaking as one fan, GW was my favorite Bobcat and pretty much was the reason I bought the 5-game package. I will not be renewing unless I see the Bobcats actually spend some of the money on quality free agents that they saved by "donating" GW to Portland.

Posted by: WoodyJ | Mar 6, 2011 7:53:53 PM

Just in case you read this GW, Charlotte misses you. Your presence is sorely missed in the arena.

There is a place for some semblance of loyalty in sports.

Rick, the titling of this blog post is lacking. I don't think it conveys the spirit of his comments. This is not a simple case of sour grapes.

Posted by: long | Mar 6, 2011 8:38:56 PM

Batum yes, Babbitt a resounding NO. Don't try to school me on where they were drafted and all that stuff. I follow it a heck of a lot closer than you do, obviously. GM's would take Wallace over Babbitt 100% of the time, no questions asked. The idea that you'd even start to think otherwise is laughable. Now, if you're talking about Batum, that's a much different story. One that makes me question what Portland's long term answer is going to be. Do they stick with Wallace in his prime, or trust that Batum continues to develop into what they think he will? If they stick with Batum, they're going to have to trade Wallace. Will there be any takers? More than likely. And he may be the trade chip they need to get the player(s) they covet. It sucks for Wallace, but at this point, he is what he is. Hopefully he'll settle in, but I've got my doubts. He's only going to be "ok" with coming off of Portland's bench for so long.

Posted by: wow | Mar 7, 2011 12:58:12 AM

This is the reason all those idiots who were ,and still are, angry with Lebron for making a choice to leave when he could and go where he wanted. nobody makes a big deal when temas trade players whenever or wherever. So it now works both ways with the players deciding to go elsewhere. Your job can fire you and you have to go find work elsewhere. You can also quit and go find work elsewhere. Funny how people respond to it when the player decides his move.

Posted by: EJ | Mar 7, 2011 1:16:11 AM

Bottom line....the bobcats cannot draft morrison..ajencia..henderson..trading crash n some drat picksfor a super star waz the only choice if he did have to leave..jordan needs to pay someone to run his franchise....if he can find a clearance deal

Posted by: pitbull phil | Mar 7, 2011 5:42:42 AM

You were never going to get a superstar in return for a player like Wallace.

This will be Jordans first draft with his own money on the line. You would think there will be some additonal focus.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 7, 2011 7:50:52 AM

WOW, again good points about the Trailblazers. I respect your opinion and loyalty to your team. I will leave it at that, because out of respect for Bobcat fans, this blog is for their discussion to articles pertaining to our team; good or bad.

As I stated before, I currently do not follow the Trailblazers regularly. We all wish Gerald Wallace the best in Portland, and he will definitely contribute heavily to their team.

And concerning the Trailblazers Luke Babbitt, obviously someone within the Trailblazers organization believes in this young guy. See the link to the article below. You may, or may not have already read this article.

Posted by: WCLionAlumni | Mar 7, 2011 9:27:50 AM

Gerald Wallace

You are and will always be a warrior and the heart and soul of the Bobcats. The reality is that of the three "better" players on the Bobcats you were the only tradeable asset, Boris is soft and inconsistent and Jackson is a loose cannon and has no clue of how to play defense or move the ball which is clearly what a playoff bound team would want.

To all who post here you can say that Wallace was peaking and that we got something for him before he became untradeable like Jackson, but to criticize his lack of skills is absolute bulsh**. You were probably the same fans who were praising him in the triple OT versus the Lakers.

To all of you who speak about this being Jordan's first draft wake up, go back and read the articles about who was the brains and driver behind the Adam Morrison pick, who personally picked Kwame? The answer is MJ.

MJ was a great basketball player, but his ego will not let him put together a professional staff to properly scout players. The other reality is that MJ after his divorce does not have deep pockets so don't expect him to spend anything. His goal is to get worse to get better through the draft. As for CP3 his numbers are only slighlty better than DJ's this season and that includes the period under LB when DJ was playing "tight".

I have had season tickets for 5 years and have not renewed. I will probably downsize my subscription but I will wait until late to make the decision.

We would have been better off with a professional consortium like Postillo's assembled to buy the Cats but Stern wanted MJ to have the team for obvious reasons.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 7, 2011 10:17:07 AM

This is all that needs to be said about Gerald Wallace and all you GW lovers:

Joe Lacob's honeymoon may be over at Golden State. Were there deals to be made in February? Among other possibilities, Lacob said the Warriors could have acquired Gerald Wallace before Charlotte traded the athletic, high-priced forward to Portland. "We could've gotten Gerald Wallace -- not somebody we thought would make us better," Lacob said.

Wallace is a great guy but the Warriors did not even think he would make a difference on a team in worse shape then the Bobcats. Get over Gerald Wallace, with him we were getting worse then we were last year. He brought nothing more to this team and it was his time to go. Lets end the GW discussion and move on.

Posted by: kman | Mar 7, 2011 10:46:10 AM

KMAN
Why don't you do the same

Posted by: Bob | Mar 7, 2011 12:50:53 PM

@kman

Lacob is talking out of his rear. For the style of offense GSW has, Wallace would have fit perfect. Bottom line is, all Lacob was willing to offer was Biedrins. Any takers there? Anybody? No? Portland's offer was WAY better. Lacob has a bad case of sour grapes, and he deserves it for the way he over values his own players.

Posted by: Sour Grapes | Mar 7, 2011 1:41:47 PM

Ten days later: the view from Portland

I'd guess most NBA players feel unappreciated and unvalued when they're traded away, especially when they've been with the franchise for years, and even if the move is not unexpected. Joel is a consummate pro, but even he looked like a moose in the headlights. (Trade deadline: when the airports are filled with really tall zombies.)

No amount of salary really mitigates those feelings, although it may be a comfort over time. For players like Joel and Gerald, there can be a kind of rejuvenation in the change, working with a new set of players under a different coach. This seems to be happening already with Joel, and we've certainly seen some flashes of absolute brilliance from Gerald.

He's going to be fine. Really. He couldn't be working for a better organization, or with a nicer group of guys. We have to hope Portland will become a second home for him (we understand his deep roots in Alabama). Joel's roots, by the way, are in Wisconsin; he's shuttled back and forth for most of his career.

Somebody mentioned the resurgence of OKC over the past few years. The Blazers' new GM this season is Rich Cho, who was an integral part of the Thunder re-build. If Cho was willing to trade what he did for GW --a little piece of Rip City's heart and soul-- it's because he's expected to make a major contribution to the team. We've done our research, and know how good he is.

The conferences tend not to know each other's players, except for the leading lights who get to the playoffs. Be advised that the stats for Dante and Joel don't tell the whole story: they will be good for the Bobcats. Dante is the guy who does the quiet dirty work. He's always there on defense, and the guy can shoot, too. Joel doesn't back down from anybody, including Dwight Howard and Shaq in his prime. Nobody messes with Joel's teammates, either. (Note: counterintuitively, it's PrZYbilla.)

You guys are probably in for a couple of rough seasons. Hang in there. It's small consolation, but you now have a slew of fans in the upper lefthand corner of the nation who'll be rooting for the Bobcats --whenever they're not playing the Blazers.

Posted by: occassia | Mar 7, 2011 4:36:43 PM

Thank you MJ, this helps the pain of not drafting you. We love GW!!

Portland