« Toughness is a post-Wallace issue | Main | John Wall among NBA's coveted jerseys »

April 11, 2011

A good night for a good guy

Major-league athletes are some of the most jaded people I know. Not all of them, but a significant cross-section would rival bar-bouncers and homicide detectives on the gruff/cynical/seen-it-all scale.

Which makes D.J. Augustin’s personality so refreshing: He’s jade-free.

Augustin recently won the NBA’s Sportsmanship Award for the Southeast Division. I’m not surprised. He’s a gentleman to everybody – even annoying sportswriters – with a patient, humble approach to life. I’ve always said he and Raymond Felton were classic products of good parenting.

That made the post-game Monday a lot of fun. I asked him about that 18-foot fadeaway he launched in the final second to beat the Nets. Now, anybody would be happy to make such a shot, but he was giddy, and injected a sense of fun to the post-game interview.

I asked him when the last time that happened, and D.J. – always the pleaser – wracked his brain for a good answer. Then it hit him: He was 10 years old, playing in a national tournament, and his shot advanced his team to the championship game.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 11, 2011 at 11:10 PM | Permalink

Comments

Awww, this is a sweet article. Go DJ!

If he reads this, encourage him to get a coach to improve his public speaking skills. He could be one of the great ones.

Posted by: aqui | Apr 12, 2011 12:20:39 AM

a public speaking coach, really? Do you want him sounding like all the other NBA players out there. I dont mind him being different. As Rick said it's refreshing

Posted by: james plowright | Apr 12, 2011 5:31:26 AM

Why is this news?

Posted by: JD | Apr 12, 2011 9:37:11 AM

This is a blog JD, not a news article. And congrats to DJ for the Sportsmanship Award! I hadn't heard that, so it's NEWS to me ;)

Posted by: Mack | Apr 12, 2011 10:14:12 AM

Congrats to you DJ on your award, you always treated your fans well. I can vouch for you on that also. I thought DJ hit a game winner for us against the Hornets in NO, under the LB regime. Or was it a game tying three at the buzzer. If anyone know's the right answer let me know.

Posted by: easye | Apr 12, 2011 12:30:59 PM

As Rick alluded to, DJ's personality is a direct product of his raising. I had the great pleasure of meeting DJ's parents on the concourse once, and they were just as pleasant and polite as their son. DJ truly deserves this award! His personality is what endears my family to him, and why my kids think he's the best thing since sliced bread!!

Posted by: Hoagie58 | Apr 12, 2011 12:44:09 PM

JP, it comes down to marketability. Look at all the successful players in the league and think about how they present themselves. You'll notice a trend. Speaking is something DJ has to work on if he wants to be more than just a player.

I find his youth and humility refreshing. I am sure he was well-raised and he seems to be a hard worker. And, he can be refreshing while speaking coherently. Not mutually exclusive.

Congrats to him on his sportsmanship award.

Posted by: long | Apr 12, 2011 12:59:05 PM

The last one was when he was 12,not 10(lol).

Posted by: horse7461 | Apr 13, 2011 11:13:13 AM