« No Jackson tonight | Main | Q gets a two-game suspension »

April 07, 2011

Howard craves to be a Bobcat...

I bet you think Dwight Howard would look great in a Charlotte Bobcats uniform. He thinks so, too. He shouted as much at the Bobcats’ bench Wednesday.

OK, here’s the disclaimer: Howard is a prankster, so no one probably put too much weight on what Howard said during a stoppage of play. Still….

According to an eye witness at courtside, Howard was standing next to Bobcats center Kwame Brown when he shouted to Charlotte’s coaches, “Hey, wouldn’t I look great here next to Kwame? Twin Towers – Kwame and me.’’

Having heard this I got Bobcats coach Paul Silas aside after the game to confirm this happened. Before I could finish my question, Silas gave me a familiar grin and started laughing almost conspiratorially.

That’s Paul’s way of acknowledging what Howard said without doing anything that could suggest he encouraged any of it.

So here’s your chance, Bobcats: The best center in the league, the best defender in the league, maybe the MVP is pleading with you to rescue him from a town that makes Mouse Ears a fashion statement.

I mean, I realize Bobcats owner Michael Jordan made his bones with Nike, and Howard is Adidas’ basketball front man, but hey, can’t we just all get along?

Posted by Observer Sports on April 7, 2011 at 02:01 AM | Permalink

Comments

This is weird. I wonder if he tells that to all the girls?

Posted by: John W. | Apr 7, 2011 6:16:08 AM

I'm not buying it. There's never enough money for top players here, no one from outside the area thinks very highly of the city (hence the civic boosters going ape-dung over what other people think of them), and even our own GM says this is not a "destination" team for superstars. If Howard really wants out of Orlando, I guarantee you he wants to go to the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls or Celtics.

Posted by: J | Apr 7, 2011 7:13:30 AM

Better to play beside him than to play against him. Kwame's not the athelete that Dwight is, but to see both of them go at it last night was like the clash of the titans. Bet there both real sore. Quick thoughts: Q Rich: PUNK. DJ, C'MON MAN! USE YOUR LEFT!

Posted by: HPCatsFan | Apr 7, 2011 7:19:36 AM

DJ should have had that layup...or at least some type of foul call.

Posted by: Whos Barry Badrinath? | Apr 7, 2011 7:51:25 AM

He would sell out Time Warner and we certainly have the cap space for him now.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Apr 7, 2011 7:57:46 AM

@J

Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, or Celtics? Neither of those teams can afford to add Howard to their lineups without completely gutting the rest of their team for cap space, and in Chicago's case, why would they?

Depending on how the new CBA looks, Charlotte should be one of the handful of teams able to afford a superstar, or two. That's MJ's plan at least.

I think Dwight will either stay in Orlando, or follow Chris Paul wherever he ends up. I've also heard the Nets could try to persuade him to join Deron Williams up in Brooklyn.

Posted by: M | Apr 7, 2011 8:05:52 AM

I'd love to see him in Charlotte. Best part is all those people last night wearing Howard's Orlando jersey will be wearing the Charlotte version. Not likely to happen though. Though it would be interesting to see how many technical fouls he and Jax could amass in a single season.

Posted by: PantherDave | Apr 7, 2011 8:22:43 AM

Yeah right, and the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus will sign here too.

Folks, I hate to say it, but the bobcats are totally irrelevant in today's NBA, and they will stay that way until either A: they are forced to move, or B: Jordan sells the team to someone who's serious about building a winner, not just feeding his ego.

Posted by: TP | Apr 7, 2011 8:41:01 AM

When I saw the headline, "Howard Craves to be a Bobcat," my first thought was "it couldn't be Dwight Howard. Maybe the article is about Juwon Howard."

Posted by: Chuck | Apr 7, 2011 9:04:27 AM

TP:
Tooth Fairy has no ups and Santa Claus is Eddy Curry in a red suit. No way to build a team.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Apr 7, 2011 10:26:10 AM

The Bobcats are not a relevant team. No one wants to play here. Jordan should just cut his losses now.

Posted by: JD | Apr 7, 2011 10:37:45 AM

How about Kevin Love?

Posted by: Nick | Apr 7, 2011 10:50:50 AM

I don't understand what people like JD and TP get out of coming on here and bashing the team. Must suck to live a life that is only satisfied by being a total prick online.

The Bobcats have been around for 7 years and people expect them to have the Celtics or Lakers record and pedigree. Its totally irrational. The Bobcats are fine and completely relevant as long as Jordan owns them.

When Jordan washed out on Carmelo (thank god) I think his mind switched to the next possible thing... Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. Both are totally feasible options with our cap space and draft picks. Now that Dwight is publicly open to it, its a real possiblity. CP3 would love to play here and you know it, and Dwight would love to play with CP3.

I know it satisfies your daddy issues to come on websites and piss on a young struggling team, but when this happens I know you will be in the arena pretending you've been a fan all along. d-bags.

Posted by: Mustachio | Apr 7, 2011 11:05:04 AM

That's what I'm talkin' about!
that is a REAL Bobcats fan.
They will bebandwagoners when we get Dwight and CP3 together.

Posted by: KBROWN | Apr 7, 2011 11:10:33 AM

We still won't have cap space to sign a player like Dwight Howard even with Gerald's salary off the books unless Diaw opts out of his contract or we can convince a team to use their exemptions on Stephen Jackson or Desagana Diop in exchange for a 2nd round pick. None of those are likely to happen. I would say the Lakers, Nets, and Celtics are in the best position to nab Howard. I don't include the Knicks because signing Billups to an extension (which they are likely to do) could wipe out their cap space needed to sign Howard and totally erases the need to sign CP3. The Lakers because they could do a straight up swap with Bynum and added pieces if Orlando wanted, the Celtics because they have a championship pedigree and Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett's massive salaries will be off the books by then, and the Nets because they have Deron Williams and could offer the Magic a package that included Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries. However, I won't say it's completely impossible and our chances are likely to sky rocket if we could acquire Chris Paul, who actually has somewhat of a desire to play in Charlotte outside of the contending teams. With our new draft picks and young developing talents, we could be in a position to put together a realistic trade to make that happen. I wouldn't bank on it, but you never know. It's not really about the cities these days with EVERY superstar, just a few. Amare reportedly would have been willing to sign an extension in Cleveland (which a lot of people feel like is one of the worst cities in the NBA) had he been traded their and LeBron stayed. As long as there are multiple "stars" on the team and they are winning, players are contempt. I wouldn't bank on such a scenario playing out, but Jordan owning the team has to pay off with our ability to acquire talent one day. Hasn't yet, but it's possible. We were for a while in the Carmelo Anthony and Deron Williams sweepstakes, so adding a superstar is definitely on Jordan's agenda.

Posted by: Mr. Brown | Apr 7, 2011 11:59:41 AM

I'm not a hater, I'm just a realist. Believe me, I would love nothing more than to see the bobcats become a great franchise, but under this ownership it just won't happen. Jordan has surrounded himself with beancounters and yes-men instead of professionals, and it shows.

Posted by: TP | Apr 7, 2011 2:43:00 PM

I agree about folks bashing the team...The Panthers suck and I haven't seen them being bashed...

What is the difference. The Jordan owned Bobcats have existed for 1 year. Give the man time to move some bad contracts and get life into the team. Give him 5 years. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words.

Posted by: Andrew Lail | Apr 7, 2011 2:49:43 PM

Andrew, was MJ not working as "head of basketball operations" for Bob Johnson when, say, Sam Vincent was hired and Adam Morrison was drafted...let's get real.

Posted by: jason Rider | Apr 7, 2011 3:23:45 PM

@ Jason

What is your point? If we didn't pick Adam Morrison, Portland would have picked him with their next pick. That draft was EXTREMELY weak. Go back and look at the picks. Jordan also found two gems in D.J. Augustin and Gerald Henderson, but no one ever discusses that. You wanna talk about Sam Vincent? Why not discuss Larry Brown or Paul Silas? Because they did well in their tenures here? C'mon, that's a weak argument. Even the almighty Chicago Bulls had Vinny Del Negro coaching them. Even the big bad L.A. Lakers fell apart when Rudy Tomjanovich was brought in. What has Jordan done SINCE HE OWNED THE TEAM that would make you really think he has no clue? GM's grow and get better over the years just like players do and they learn from their mistakes. Give Jordan a chance to learn from his instead of bashing him so much because of past failures. Every team in the league and every GM in the league has drafted players that could be considered "busts", but since it's M.J., the ones he drafted become oh so memorable. It's always, "well, Jordan should have picked Brandon Roy instead of Morrison". Well, look at Brandon Roy's knees an the contract Portland has to pay him. And look at how the Hawks passed on him as well to select Shelden Williams. Was that not a bad pick? You really think Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson, or Shane Battier wouldn't have been considered "busts" had Jordan not picked them instead of Kwame? The only players proven to be worthy of the number one picks in the draft were Pau Gasol (who was drafted by the Hawks and TRADED immediately after) and Joe Johnson who fell all the way to 10. C'mon guy, be realistic.

Posted by: Mr. Brown | Apr 7, 2011 3:47:27 PM

Rick, I'll pick my favorite parts from your article above: "OK, here’s the disclaimer: Howard is a prankster", and about coach Silas' response: "Silas gave me a familiar grin and started laughing". I did too.
It's a shame you couldn't have such great material ready six days ago (April 1st), but of course, the less-than-great-timing is to be blamed on Howard only.

Posted by: Sandy | Apr 7, 2011 5:04:29 PM

Man Jordan has done a pretty good job in the eyes of anyone who has long-term vision. May have cost us this years playoff but we wouldn't have won a series anyway. Only difference is now our payroll match our record. That means we can afford to improve. When I read that Larry brown wanted iverson but Jordan wanted Henderson and the young guys to grow, that told me he wasn't thinking about now but the future. Henderson benefited to and he also benefited from Wallace trade. I never read any of you talking about that. I guess that's to positive for you. Point is we are in a better position now in my eyes. And like the guy said earlier. At some point, mj popularity has to play a part with some of these free agents

Posted by: chill | Apr 7, 2011 5:05:27 PM

I know is this a bunch of non-sense! Why would Howard want to come to this lousy organization?????

Posted by: big daddy | Apr 7, 2011 5:28:14 PM

@ Mr. Brown

Dwight Howard will not become a free agent until the end of next season. Boris Diaw's contract expires at the same time. When you combine Diaw's expiring contract with the money Charlotte saved by trading Gerald Wallace, that leaves the Bobcats with plenty of cap space to sign a big name free agent. The bigger question is A. Will superstars like Chris Paul and Dwight Howard leave a small-market team to sign with another small-market franchise; and B. Even with the available cap space does Michael Jordan have the financial resources to pay even one superstar when the current trend in the NBA is for big-market teams to sign two or three superstars? The Bobcats' best chance to find a true franchise player is the draft, and I'm not sure they will find any help in this summer's lottery.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 7, 2011 7:15:32 PM

If the Bobcats had a 1% chance of landing Howard, I don't think they would be offering a buy two get two free season ticket sale!

Posted by: Dom | Apr 7, 2011 8:56:48 PM

How about a package deal in the summer of '12 with Howard, CP3, and Patrick Ewing as coach

Posted by: Bronsyn | Apr 8, 2011 1:41:07 AM

So many haters here. Even Bonnell who, under other names, attacks blog-posters who don't care for his writing style.

I'd be rather stunned if Howard would opt for Charlotte, but stranger things have happened. If we could create "a perfect storm" of opportunity regarding other free agent signings, and the draft picks we have this year, along with a coach....... who knows? Also, if the owners win with the new CBA... smaller market teams could develop into more competitive teams.

While I think Dwight has a good thing going in Orlando... trading for Arenas was a critical mistake considering his salary and knees.

I, for one, am starting to believe that MJ is staring to perform much better than his Washington stint and his initial Charlotte moves. Many overlook that, while he made mistakes with Washington, he also had them with some nice cap space when he got fired.

-GO CATS- THE HECK WITH NBA REFS-

Posted by: Downtown Sports | Apr 8, 2011 2:11:31 AM

I think it's totally possible for the Bobcats to sign a player like DH-12 or CP3 in 2012. For those of you who don't know the NBA... The Bobcats are only on the books for 28.9M in 2012... That means we could sign 2 FREE AGENTS TO MAX DEALS! Like CP3 or D-Will and Dwight... Now will that happen? Who knows... But Bobcats fans can hope, right?

People act like we have bad fans... We were #1 in attendance for a period of time in the 90's when we had the Hornets... Great fans here. They have just been waiting for a winning team. When the Hornets left everyone became fans of other NBA teams instead of waiting on the Bobcats. Not me of course... I've been watching since day 1 in 04. I hate fans who bandwagon and then when their local team gets good again they jump on that bandwagon and act like they were fans all along... smh...

Jordan has a plan and it's better than making the 8th seed every year and getting the 15th pick. At least we have a shot at a top 5 pick in the lottery. You never know.

Anyway guys I'm a Mod on an NBA forum site hoops-nation.com. I would love to have more Bobcats fans there to help me out. We only have a few :(

Here is the link to this article on our forum... Read the haters reactions... Smh... lol. I'm C-Buc32 on there. I hope we get a few Bobcats fans on there!

Posted by: C-Buc | Apr 8, 2011 5:16:35 AM

Its not realistic but....given the youth potential on the team, and the same division switch, I could see the appeal. But only if he and another guy are planning on going to the same spot.

And there are other teams that will be able to sign & trade all the same. Watching denver's success I think more teams will dump the stars for boatloads of talent and picks. Its not 1 on 5.

Bobcats need to be focused on harrison barnes. Howver they have to get it done, they better.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 8, 2011 3:10:41 PM

Wow, nobody should be taking this seriously, but i was always told to never say never. This team could be a contender with D Howard at the Center, but you need another star as well. I am liking the team's chances with DJ much rather CP3, Hendo, Cunningham, DJ White, kwame, and Matt Carrol, Liv. I think you can build around these guys. Jack is my guy on this team but he is getting older now and the hamstring amongst other things are wearing down on 82 game season. You guys really don't know where the draft cards are falling but the Morris twins look good for a pick. We are not getting Barnes especially if goes top 5.

Posted by: tbird | Apr 8, 2011 6:00:08 PM

I can see it right now. Cam newton in the city this year. DHoward and CPaul, Barnes 2012. Man NBA2K12...Thats funny, bet yet nice!!! However Michael Jordan will get it on a winning championship track!!! A Championship for the city of Charlotte within the next five years; by 2015!

Posted by: BobcatsFan | Apr 10, 2011 4:00:30 AM

I say blow the team up as soon as possible in order to rebuild. Keep Thomas, Augustin, Henderson and some short-term pieces (one year deal for Kwame?) and deal Jackson while he still has some value. Keep Diaw unless you draft another forward, but do not trade him for more long-term contracts (like the Chandler deal). Then rebuild through the draft and set up serious cap flexibility for 2012 - when the next big free agent wave hits (even if we can't get any of the big names, maybe we can steal some nice players from teams looking to dump salary).

Above all, the team needs to get younger and cheaper fast so they can hopefully have a better shot to contend more. No sense is battling it out for the 9th spot and barely miss the playoffs every year (and when NJ adds pieces to Deron Williams this offseason, they'll claim that last playoff spot - meaning the Bobcats will have no shot without a suprise).

Posted by: Joshua | Apr 10, 2011 11:35:04 AM

It probably was a joke, but stranger things have happened. Is Charlotte a premier destination for free agents? No, but neither was San Antonio before Timeye. The fact is we will be one of the few teams with the money for Chris and Dwight to look twice at. Especially if the league does go to a hard cap. Boris Diaw and others are expiring next season. Our payroll is currently only 28 million for the 12/13 season. With that much money open these two would have to at least consider the possibility of playing together here.

Posted by: Geraldmutumbo | Apr 12, 2011 10:51:00 PM