« More on Cho from news conference | Main | ESPN ranks Bobcats No. 66 »

June 15, 2011

Quick thoughts from the workout

BOBCATS_07 Wednesday, the Charlotte Bobcats worked out Colorado's Alec Burks and Providence's Marshon Brooks, along with four others. The media only gets to see the last few minutes of those workouts, but here are some impressions:

-- Brooks has modeled his game after Atlanta Hawks guard Jamal Crawford, and it shows. Same kind of shifty moves to the left and right, to set up defenders. He'll be effective creating his own shot at the next level.

Brooks describes himself as a scorer, not a shooter. To be productive with that approach at the NBA level, you have to be expert at forcing defenders to commit shooting fouls.

-- Burks seemed strangely nervous when we interviewed him. That surprised me, in that if you're a star in the Big 12, and you've lived in a major media market (Boulder is just outside Denver), you should be experienced and comfortable fielding media questions.

-- I think Brooks is definitely among the players who have impressed the Bobcats. I think Florida State's Chris Singleton and Southern California big man Nikola Vucevic have also caught their fancy.

I'm certainly not suggesting those are the only three players they like. But in this draft, where it's so challenging to predict an order, might it make sense to go ahead and pick Singleton ninth and Brooks or Vucevic 19th? Those might be "reaches'' according to some draft pundit, but in a murky draft, why not trust your own instincts?

Posted by Observer Sports on June 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

That would help on Defense and rebounding but, still wouldn't address our biggest need - Outside Shooting threat!

Posted by: The Guru | Jun 15, 2011 12:58:49 PM

Actually, Guru, Singleton shot 37 percent from 3-point range last season. I'm not saying he's JJ Redick, but he's no slouch.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Jun 15, 2011 1:04:41 PM

If we don't take a big that can atleast diawly (adj.) Guard the 5 spot, we are really banking a lot on brown resigning, diop recovering AND getting in shape and growing a game, or free agents like 1 of the 6 centers the heat have falling in our laps.

I will stop worrying about higgins making more idiotic moves the second cho nails this draft and makes that one trade that tells us that we finally got a real nba franchise to replace the hornets.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 15, 2011 1:32:59 PM

Singleton and Faried are classic NBA small forwards and the Cats should be able to get one of them at 19. Vucevic could still be around at 39 - along with a few good guard prospects like Georga's Travis Leslie and BC's Reggie Jackson. Nolan Smith who would be a steal at 39. The tricky pick is #9... I think the Cats have to go best player on the board for that one. Burks, Thompson, Ferrette - maybe one of the KU twins - lots of options.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 15, 2011 1:37:28 PM

I think Singleton would be the bigger reach there based on the team's needs. He reminds me a little of Gerald Henderson, which is not a bad thing, but the team seems to have plenty of 3's and 4's that are defensive minded. It doesn't have much in the way of true centers or scorers coming off the bench. If you're going to reach, then reach for the center or scoring combo guard. I doubt Vucevic lasts until the team picks at 19. Singelton probably will be there.

Posted by: Phillip | Jun 15, 2011 1:40:41 PM

If Marcus Morris is still on the board and they take Singleton then it's a huge reach Bonnell. Do you think they would make a move like that?

Also, the 19 pick will end up being a pointless discussion as soon as MJ sells the pick to the Mavs or some team for "cash considerations".

Posted by: Frank | Jun 15, 2011 1:45:18 PM

I think the Cats should trade Boris Diaw for a mid to late first rounder. Maybe something around 15. Then they could grab Vucevic with that pick and Singleton or Faried with #19. Jackson or Smith or Brooks at #39 and then Marcus Morris or Burks or Leonard at #9.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 15, 2011 1:47:00 PM

Also Rick Bonnell...why are you neglecting to tell us why Cho got fired from Portland? If he did so well in OKC why is he no longer there? Would love to know why this guy constantly gets kicked to the curb but I guess since you love him so much you don't want to tell us?

Posted by: Frank | Jun 15, 2011 1:51:04 PM

Brooks is starting to show up on some mocks above 19. I think he's exactly what the Cats need and would love to see us trade down to get another 2nd, then deal both of those 2nd round picks to get another 1st, thereby drafting all three of those guys (Brooks, Vucevic and Singleton). Brooks is the kind of guy who will begin shooting up boards and may be in the lottery by this time next week. My prediction is both he and Vucevic will be gone by the 19th pick. So just take the guy you really want at 9 and pick Vucevic or Singleton at 19 (my order of preference).

Posted by: Bassman | Jun 15, 2011 1:54:28 PM

I personally like Jordan Hamilton > Klay Thompson > Singleton > Tristan Thompson at 9. Hamilton is more athletic than Marcus Morris, a better 3 shooter, had a high rebound rate for a SF. He can score as good as anybody in this draft. Makes sense even if it's a little bit of a reach at 9.

At 19 I like Marshon > Faried > Vucevic > Markieff. Vucevic might actually win out because of the demand for true centers in the NBA. Faried rebounds extremely well and rebounds translates from college to the NBA as well as anything.

Posted by: DanielTDenny | Jun 15, 2011 2:12:54 PM

Alec Burks will be a major BUST....

MARSHAWN BROOKS will be a STAR !!!!!!!!

.....draft the right Brooks please Bobcats!

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Jun 15, 2011 2:25:05 PM

Bobcats dont pass on Reggie Jackson at #19. Celtics want him at 25 but he definately wont last that long. That is your starting pg of the future. Augustine isn't big enough to be a starting pg for a playoff team. Needs to move back to the bench. Take Klay Thompson at #9 and you got your backcourt of the future!!!! Dont sleep!! You heard it here first!!!!!! REGGIE JACKSON IS THE SLEEPER IN THIS DRAFT

Posted by: guest | Jun 15, 2011 2:27:33 PM

Why does everyone hate Boris Diaw so much... yes, someone needs to light a fire under his butt, but he is a good player.

WE NEED A CENTER. Donatas Motiejunas = a 20 year old Dirk this should be our first pickup

with 19 and 39 we can look for shooters but step one needs to be a BIG man and why not get one that can shoot the 3 as well as go down low?

after that we need to take a strong look at free agency.

Posted by: MOUTH | Jun 15, 2011 2:28:38 PM

What do yall think about IVERSON coming back and does anyone want him in Charlotte?

Posted by: MOUTH | Jun 15, 2011 2:48:49 PM

Frank, you're an idiot. It's clearly been stated that he didn't get along with Portland's owner, Paul Allen, who in turn is one long fingernail away from being the next Howard Hughes. Give Bonnell a break. Cho built the Thunder. If he plans on building the Bobcats the same way I'll take our chances.

We need to go after some combination of Kemba/Brooks/Burks or Morris/Faried/Singleton with the 9th and 19th.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 15, 2011 2:56:32 PM

Chad Ford has us taking the Morris twins with 9 & 19.....I'd love Brooks or Singleton though. Kawhi Leonard would be great too, but I don't think he will fall to #9. If Kemba dropped to 9, would we take him?

Posted by: tom P | Jun 15, 2011 3:48:53 PM

we should trade diaw to the timberwolves for their 2nd pk they are trying to get rid of.. and trade diop to the new jersey for thier 5th pick.. look to pick up justin know with #39.. need a big physical guy

Posted by: mtm | Jun 15, 2011 4:57:35 PM

justin knox i mean

Posted by: mtm | Jun 15, 2011 4:58:41 PM

we trade diaw to Minn for thier #2 pick and trade diop and najera to NJ for thier #5 and pick up Jusin Knox with #39

Posted by: mtm | Jun 15, 2011 5:00:26 PM

Either one of the Morris twins would be a big disaster...we NEED a TRUE 3 (Hamilton-great shooter, Singleton-great athlete/defender) with the 9th pick....and a solid big with the 19th pick.

I'd be happy to get even a second round pick for Boris Diaw (much less the #2 pick in the draft- David Kahn has made some bad choices...but he's not an idiot)

Boris Diaw is GOING to be here next year and even if he is, we gave away a 1st round pick and then payed Tyrus Thomas...now let him play!!!

Posted by: CLO | Jun 15, 2011 5:07:17 PM

I honestly think we move Diaw and Jackson, I'm trying to figure out what for, but I think that might happen.

Posted by: tattoo | Jun 15, 2011 5:19:47 PM

Bismack Biyombo, strong rebounder and shotblocker with 7'7" wingspan. And then Reggie Jackson at #19.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 15, 2011 5:51:37 PM

I'm with tattoo. Clock is ticking on Jackson and Diaw. Cho already said (correctly) that he had no interest in being a lottery fringe team which this team is at best a 6 seed next year. No way both those guys are still around unless the CBA is so tight that no one can go over the cap. One thing that the Mavericks showed was that veterans are valuable in the playoffs.

I could see either filling needs for Memphis, San Antonio, OKC. I think Jackson would be great in Chicago. Unfortunately you won't be getting decent picks back but the extra 10 spots the Bobcats will get next year in the draft without them would be worth it. Might allow them to take a legit franchise guy like Barnes or Sullinger.

Posted by: sfinsf | Jun 15, 2011 9:33:30 PM

I don't know that I am well enough versed on any of them to have a decent opinion. I just hope we find a diamond in the rough in this bunch somewhere. As far as Diaw, rather that give him away now, I would hang on to him until close to the February deadline. He is in a contract year and may play with a little more urgency thereby increasing his perceived value.

Posted by: Claydog | Jun 15, 2011 9:45:14 PM

Umm...Do you really think there are teams out there that would trade a first round pick for Boris Diaw? Seriously? Seriously????

Posted by: Freaky Ty | Jun 15, 2011 10:11:24 PM

I really feel like Singleton is not a reach at 9. He can guard teams best players such as Durant,Carmelo, Lebron etc. But if the guy from Congo fall to 19, I think we should pick him there. Brooks or Reggie Jackson at 19. Under Silas, he can make Jackson a really good player. Or if we sure CP3 is coming get Brooks or the Congo guy

Posted by: Tee | Jun 15, 2011 10:14:33 PM

I believe in this draft that we focus on getting the best available. With that been said i believe we use the #9 pick on. Burk, Klay thompson, J. Hamilton, or Jan Vesley. Then use the #19 pick on: Jeremy Tyler, Dontras M. the europe big man, or Bertain Davis.
I believe we need to trade jackson and diaw and see what the young guess due.

Posted by: dluckey | Jun 15, 2011 11:25:55 PM

mtm, seriously, WTF? It's bad enough to think we can get the second overall pick for Diaw, but getting the fifth pick for Diop... Really? Last time I looked, madden didn't have a basketball game. Diop is out for the first half of the season and has way too many years and way too large of a contract. Even Larry Brown admitted the guy is untradeable.

Fifth pick.... Please.

Posted by: Phillip | Jun 16, 2011 8:54:34 AM

the guy that said diop for the 5th pick should get hired by new jersey immediately.

i think we should be looking at philly and trying to figure out ANY WAY possible to grab evan turner from them. we could build around a augustin/henderson/turner/thomas core.

If not we damn sure better be gunning for a top pick next year to grab barnes.

whatever we do, we should not be picking a 1 or a 2 unless they are planned backups. our back court could be stellar with a year or 2 of experience. the guy who was railing on augustin's size obviously didn't see that barrea and bibby were the starting pgs in the finals. henderson will work his way out of his limitations, he has what lebron doesn't have........THE CLUTCH GENE.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 16, 2011 11:16:08 AM

If we could trade Boris Diaw for a Mid 2nd Rounder that would be great.

Also, Singleton is NOT a reach at #9, actually, he is the best pick at the #9, unless Walker or Leonard fall here.

If we can get another 2nd Rd, as I mentioned above, then draft Brooks with 19, Nolan Smith with the 39 and Jeremy Tyler with the other 2nd rounder.

If not, draft Nikola Vucevic with the 19 and Nolan Smith or Darius Morris with the 39. But Singleton should be the #9.

Posted by: RobC | Jun 16, 2011 12:56:26 PM

this last post by RobC is hilarious. you can always tell the ones that only watch ACC basketball and nothing else.

and trade Diaw for a 2nd rd pick, come on man. name one 2nd rd pick drafted by the Bobcats that has ever contributed? don't be ridiculous.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 16, 2011 2:28:52 PM

The lineup we should have in the draft should be either a combo of: Burks/Vucevic/Singleton. I don't like Singleton @ 9 b/c Vucevic has been getting more looks than expected and probably won't be available @ 19 and definitely not 39. Our team has enough defensive heads; WE NEED SCORERS!!! I'm sick of seeing players like Cunningham and Najera on this team. I want someone worth seeing. enter Marshon Brooks/Alec Burks and Nikola Vucevic. Trade back from 9 and get a vet in return and draft Brooks and then trade up with a vet in the trade with 19 to get Vucevic

Posted by: fakethis | Jun 17, 2011 12:31:19 AM

If we keep 9 we should get Burks and then trade up with a vet from the team and the 19th pick to get Vucevic. Singleton?!!!!!!! Not again!!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!! Is how I'll be in front of the television cause I'm not coming to see another Bcats team that can't score!!!! But plays like demons on the defensive end. And I'm sure people won't be as intrigued by that pick either. I understand we need defense, but dog. Singleton should be a last resort in my opinion. Or trade someone to get a young defensive player. Please people get a clue on fun plus successful basketball.

Posted by: fakethis | Jun 17, 2011 12:40:49 AM

The only way I can see us getting Singleton is if we work out a way to get 3 picks in the 1st round. If we get 3 picks and are able to draft 3 players; whether it is a combo of (Burks/Vucevic/Singleton) or (Brooks/Vucevic/Singleton) in the right order to be able to grab all the players in one of those combinations. Then I say welcome back Gdub clone @ #9. Do your thing Cho!!! Peace!!!

Posted by: fakethis | Jun 17, 2011 12:48:13 AM

I'd like to see the Bobcats trade the 9 & 19 picks along with Diaw to Utah for the 3 & 12 picks. Then take Enos w/the 3 and best wing avaiable w/12.

Posted by: TheRockness | Jun 20, 2011 1:49:27 AM

The Rockness - that is a great Idea - and Singleton should be on the board at #12...

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 21, 2011 7:38:15 PM