« A step back from the ledge | Main | Quick thoughts on draft's eve »

June 22, 2011

Some notes off the last workout

Seen and heard at the Charlotte Bobcats' final workout before Thursday's NBA draft:

-- Coach Paul Silas was clearly impressed with Bismack Biyombo's shotblocking and defense. Also, Silas said he didn't find Biyombo as limited offensively as he'd heard. Of course, considering what's been said about Biyombo's offense, the bar of expectations was set quite low.

-- Silas thought Kansas forward Marcus Morris auditioned better in this second workout than the first time Morris was in Charlotte. Silas seemed more receptive to the idea that Morris could play small forward, as well as power forward. If Morris can play multiple NBA positions, it would be easier to justify selecting him with the No. 9 pick.

-- Silas seemed pleasantly surprised by how well Purdue forward JaJuan Johnson played. Johnson, a senior, has a skinny body, but Silas said he never shied away from contact. I don't know if Johnson will still be around when the Bobcats pick 39th, but I'd think he'd get strong consideration as the Bobcats' second-round pick.

-- Not much was said about Florida State's Chris Singleton, but I'm sure he's in the discussion at No. 9. I don't have a feel for who they'd take if it came down to Singleton-vs.-Morris.

-- I still think the most entertaining scenario Thursday night would be Jonas Valanciunas lasting to No. 9. Valanciunas is a top-five talent and a big man. But his contract issues in Europe mean the team drafting him might not get him for a year or two.

Would the Bobcats wait a year or more to get access to such a value pick? Sure would be interesting to find out.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 22, 2011 at 02:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

I am surprised J. Johnson of Perdue is not receiving better press....this kid is highly skilled and his game will translate better in the pro's than it did in college...I think the Bobcats are trading this pick....load up guys...its a deep draft and this team neeeds "ballers"

Posted by: Scott Silverstein | Jun 22, 2011 2:53:11 PM

It'll be interesting if Biyombo is still on the board when Charlotte picks. Tough decision.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 22, 2011 2:57:41 PM

Is Alec Burks no longer in the discussion for No. 9? I would think that a back-up SG behind Henderson would be a pressing need for the current Bobcats roster.

Posted by: frankie83 | Jun 22, 2011 2:58:34 PM

What is wrong with brooks from providence, we need a scorer, do anybody think we can get him with our 2nd pick, also rick do you think mj and cho will look at the trade rumors on tony parker and go for him, if we do, we would make the playoffs for sure, that would put dj back on the bench, but he could lead on 2nd team..

Posted by: panthers world | Jun 22, 2011 3:07:16 PM

If the 'Cats are second to dead last in scoring and 3 point shooting...why are they spending the last day until the draft working out bigs? With the exception of JaJuan...none of the others will be around at 19. The 'Cats need talent over position but they have glaring needs at the wings. Draft Marshon Brooks, Klay Thompson, Jordan Hamilton, or Kemba Walker (if he slides).

Posted by: Ben | Jun 22, 2011 3:07:53 PM

I would likely grab Biyombo or the USC center at #9 and then Hamilton or Faried at #19. I like Singleton but I think he will go aronud 12 so we will not get him if we want Biyombo. Johnson or Nolan Smith at #39 would be a steal.... A solid backup center for Brown, a SF to compete with Cunningham (who they better sign) to replace Jackson in a year or two and some guard depth are the best moves for the Cats.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 22, 2011 3:15:17 PM

Rick, the 'Cats do NOT need another PF this year; we need a healthy development of TT! Kawhi Leonard is the answer with the 9th pick and he replaces the void left by GW...IF he is still there. The fallback at 9 is Alec Burks, who is compared to Eddie Jones.

Biyombo is just going to get posted up, Marcus Morris is a dime a dozen, and our true needs are an outside shooter at 2, a replacement for GW, a bonafide 1, and a bonafide 5.

Posted by: Dug E Fresh | Jun 22, 2011 3:17:54 PM

I know Biyombo is not Emeka Okafor but don't they have similar qualities? An undersized center (Biyombo could play the 4) with shotblocking and defense but limited on offense. And why would the 'Cats draft another project (and yes, Biyombo is a project) after the disastrous experiment of Alexis Ajinca (which cost them a first round pick).

Posted by: Ben | Jun 22, 2011 3:20:49 PM

I think more minutes for Carrol will help solve the three point shooting issue... Besides - many of those bad threes were takin by Wallace and Jackson... So the numbers are skewed. Wallace is gone and Jackson will hopefully shoot better next year. Henderson's shooting will contiune to improve as will DJs - so don't focus on a skewed statistic. Jackson is solid trade bait for a contender and if we trade him we have nobody at SF.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 22, 2011 3:21:15 PM

Biyombo is much thicker than Alexis Ajinca - who was really drafted just because he is 7foot. Bottom line is we have not been in the workouts - and Silas can coach a big man so Biyombo could be a great pick. Personally, I hope they get Leonard or Singleton at #9 and Hamilton or Faried at #19 then Johnson or a solid combo guard at #39.

Posted by: Dominator | Jun 22, 2011 3:27:34 PM

I'm sure it's not likely, but I'd love to see the Cats package 9 and 19 along with a player (maybe Diaw?) to move up to #2 and select Derrick Williams. The kid has off the charts athleticism, has range on his jump shot, has an NBA body, and by all accounts, is a strong character guy. I think he's capable of playing multiple positions too.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 22, 2011 3:30:10 PM

whats up with your font size, Rick?

Posted by: byteAbit | Jun 22, 2011 3:45:23 PM

That's what she said!

Posted by: Heelcat | Jun 22, 2011 3:57:55 PM

Dominator...you are aware that the 'Cats GM Cho is a stat guy, right? Also, Crash took 2.2 3pt attempts a game so other than Captain Jack's usual erratic shooting...there are no "skewed stats" when it comes to shooting on this terrible team. This team has no All-Star talent. No one wins in this league without exceptional talent. I do like Silas as a player's coach but I would prefer Nikola Vucevic over Biyombo.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 22, 2011 4:06:12 PM

You have to draft Biyombo to play center and go along with TT. They would atleast have a good shot blocking front court, which is a must with Howard,wade,james,wall in the central. You have to have one piece of the puzzle at the time. We could pick up a SF with 19thpick. I would trade Jackson to NY for there pick and add a extra piece to the puzzle. If were rebuilding, we have no use for a 34 year old SG/SF.

Posted by: jaybird | Jun 22, 2011 4:41:58 PM

you cannot cannot cannot justify drafting marcus morris with the pick. I think he's a solid rotation guy and maybe can play SOME 3. but he's a 4. and tyrus thomas and boris diaw and dante cunningham can ALL move over and play the 3 just as well as morris if not better in cunningham and diaw's case.

assuming 1-4 is irving/williams/knight/kanter as it should, our board should fall as such:

vesely, leonard, biyombo, valanciunas, singleton. if walker is what's left you think long and hard about it and see what's available for augustin on the trade market but it would have to be SWEET to make that move.

then you pray that vucevic is available at 19. its looking more and more of a sure thing biyombo won't be there at 19.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 22, 2011 4:51:26 PM

Regarding Matt Carroll, I'd love to see him stay in Charlotte bc what little bit he's been given extended minutes, he's put up some great numbers! I'd like to see what he could do next season. It'd be nice to keep Stephen Jackson too, but a lot of teams are interested and it sounds like Charlotte may go into rebuilding mode with Rich Cho taking the helm as GM. So if it's better for the long term, I'll support whatever MJ and Cho decide to do. I'm excited for the future of the Bobcats though!

Posted by: Jay | Jun 22, 2011 5:18:15 PM

I agree jaybird! Biyombo would have a tremendous impact in the middle. With a 7'6-7'7 wingspan and solid body he will play the center position fine. That is one of our two biggest weaknesses. With the other being wing scoring. Most mock drafts have Jordan Hamilton lasting till the 19th pick. If that were to happen we would be sitting pretty.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 22, 2011 5:18:34 PM

can we all get on board with ben hansbrough @ 39 unless somebody major slips? rod? rich? mike? paul? yvette? all on board?

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 22, 2011 5:27:22 PM

Biyombo is a big dilema, everyone things he'll be something similar to Ben Wallace in his prime. After all, Detroit won a Championship with that guy. If the Bobcats get Biyombo at #9, I just hope thet Jordan Hamilton is avaliable at #19. If that is the case, then it would be a great draft. However, I would get Singleton over Morris.

Posted by: RobC | Jun 22, 2011 5:31:19 PM

i just think taking a 3 other than vesely or leonard at 9 is a waste. we need more scoring out of that position than singleton can provide so realistically, how are we going to find the guy minutes? if those 2 and biyombo and valanciunas are gone, then singleton is the pick for sure. and that could very well happen.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 22, 2011 5:40:16 PM

I don't think Biyombo lasts 'til the 9th pick, but if he's there I would take him. I have a feeling the Bobcats are going to make some noise, but 1 year from now is when they will make the very aggressive moves. I think they will do just fine this draft and add a couple of valuable pieces.

Posted by: semperdemperfefifo | Jun 22, 2011 6:14:46 PM

charlottean, you really need to get past your private little obsession and go out and find a job, hobby or girlfriend. I rather suspect you have none of the above.

Posted by: BarelyCareAnymore | Jun 22, 2011 6:15:09 PM

Biyombo is more PF than C. If he can be Ben Wallace (a PF masquerading as a C) great but if he can "only" be Dennis Rodman (without the weirdness) that'd be worth using the 9th pick on too. And Vucevic may still be available at 19. If so the'd have a high-post C and low-post PF for the next 10 years. Then with the 39th pick they can take a defensive-minded wing with 3-point range. Someone like DeAndre Liggins.

Posted by: Morris | Jun 22, 2011 8:59:50 PM

Rick, what do think the bobcats would do if kemba is there along with biyombo and singleton?

Posted by: cory | Jun 22, 2011 9:39:00 PM

You're on a bobcats blog mad cause I'm hype about the draft. And I'm married and have owned my own business for 5 years now. And I'm 25. And you hate yourself. Let's talk basketball now.

If biyombo goes before 9 that means vesley, leonard, or valanciunas is left.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 23, 2011 1:20:51 AM