« | Main | There's clearly a deal to be made »

September 30, 2011

Playing at home appeals to Steph Curry

Stephen Curry says emphatically he's a happy Golden State Warrior.

But if somewhere down the road he reaches free-agency, and the hometown Charlotte Bobcats choose to pursue him, the former Davidson star would find playing here quite appealing.

"Of course I'd like to play here - it's home and I know a lot of people. But that doesn't mean I'm trying to get out of Golden State,'' Curry said Thursday in a wide-ranging interview with the Observer.

"There's no reason I would not want to play in Charlotte. Maybe the pressure of being around family all the time would affect some people, but I wouldn't be opposed to any of that.''

Curry is back at Davidson, taking three classes toward his sociology degree, while the NBA and the players union work out their differences. Read about Curry's adjustment to being a student again and a new husband in Sunday's Observer.

Curry and his wife of two months, the former Ayesha Alexander, bought a home near Weddington that they plan to use as their permanent residence regardless of where basketball takes them. For now, Curry plans to rent in San Francisco once the lockout ends.

Curry said he's excited about the Warriors' recent change in ownership and new coach Mark Jackson, a fellow point guard.

"I think the Warriors are headed in a good direction, and I want to be a part of that,'' Curry said.

The Bobcats are in a youth movement, and figure to have plenty of room under the salary cap in the next few years. Based on the previous collective bargaining agreement, Curry wouldn't become a restricted free agent before the summer of 2014, and couldn't reach unrestricted free agency before the summer of 2015.

Of course, if Steph became a Bobcat, his father, Dell, would have to critique him every game as the television color analyst.

"He'd kill me every night,'' Steph joked.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 30, 2011 at 01:32 PM | Permalink

Comments

We need to do this

Posted by: DNYCE | Sep 30, 2011 2:25:49 PM

Chucker!!

Posted by: Show me | Sep 30, 2011 2:58:58 PM

dat would be da bomb...then maybe someone would actually care about da BobbyCats

Posted by: Vinny T. | Sep 30, 2011 3:22:21 PM

I think that would make a lot of locals happy in Crown Town.

Posted by: PantherDave | Sep 30, 2011 3:30:28 PM

NBA needs more players like this kid.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 30, 2011 3:30:41 PM

Vinny-people do care about the Bobcats...and you cared enough 1. click on the story. 2. Drag your mouse to the comments section. 3. Make your dumb a#* remark

Posted by: TherealJD | Sep 30, 2011 3:36:30 PM

Bobcats are going to be really good once Byombo and Walker get some experience. Those two along with DJ, Magette and Henderson are going to be real strong... Thomas is solid and his back up DJ white is good to.. Diaw needs to go - but otherwise i like the Cat squad. We would have to move DJ if we added Curry

Posted by: Dirt | Sep 30, 2011 3:54:49 PM

I forgot Brown! he is solid too... trust me - the Cats got two of the top three players in the draft and will add two more guys in next year's draft.

Posted by: Dirt | Sep 30, 2011 3:55:53 PM

I love this guy! A great player on and off the court. No tattoos and piercings also a plus.

Posted by: vicktor | Sep 30, 2011 4:43:59 PM

If an NBA season gets cancelled does anyone notice? I actually like the NBA and go to some Bobcat games but there is no where near the angst for this lockout like there was for the NFL lockout.

Posted by: James Reed | Sep 30, 2011 8:50:00 PM

Yeah I notice as do a lot of fans. I think basketball is a better game, a sport that is actually playable by amateurs after high school.

Posted by: jayteebeetee | Sep 30, 2011 11:23:41 PM

I would love to see Steph Curry in a Bobcats uniform!

Posted by: Jimmy | Oct 1, 2011 12:18:47 AM

WHY are we talking about the NBA? Rick Bonnell, I have told you time and again to take the year off. In fact, I informed you of this last Christmas that you were going to get a much deserved break.

There will be NO NBA season this year. You know it and I know it. Steph, you're on the wrong coast. Do you need a map? No, you're NEVER playing in Charlotte.

Posted by: David Stern | Oct 1, 2011 6:01:48 AM

They should have traded Wallace and Jackson for this kid. Would've been a great PR move.

Posted by: jb | Oct 1, 2011 9:53:43 AM

I live in Virginia now, but will be returning to Charlotte in three years or so. I'd buy season tickets to see Steph play.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 1, 2011 8:27:29 PM

It would be refreshing to have a local hoops talent with the Bobcats, why not have a player here who wants to be here, only makes sense, I heard him speak this past summer & he appeals to young kids as a role model, Steph is going to be a Star wherever he plays, why not here??? I would buy tickets to Bobcats games if he plays here, bring him back home!!!

Posted by: Gerard Karli | Oct 3, 2011 10:26:20 AM

Posted by: Damp proofing services | Oct 3, 2011 12:14:07 PM

If he comes back, maybe my nephew,robert hartnett, can get a contract and feed him the ball. i(robert's uncle) needs a drivers job. mdf.

Posted by: michael fowler | Oct 24, 2011 2:03:32 PM