« Bobcats sign Cory Higgins | Main | Bobcats' Augustin says he'll play tonight »

December 26, 2011

Ex-Bobcat Stephen Jackson: "When Gerald left, I really left''

Ex-Charlotte Bobcat Stephen Jackson, now with the Milwaukee Bucks, said he lost his love for playing here once the Bobcats traded close friend Gerald Wallace last February.

“When Gerald left, I really left,’’ Jackson said at morning shootaround at Time Warner Cable Arena.

“Considering what we did (getting to) the playoffs, and then all those changes. To take Gerald away really took a lot out of me. I still was trying to do my job as best I can, but it was a lot harder.  When they got rid of Gerald, that let me know they didn’t want to win. I didn’t want to be part of a place like that.’’

Jackson and reserve point guard Shaun Livingston were traded to the Bucks on draft night in a package that acquired the seventh overall pick. The Bobcats used that selection to take power forward Bismack Biyombo.

Since the Bobcats were swept in the 2010 playoffs by the Orlando Magic, Wallace, Jackson, point guard Raymond Felton and center Tyson Chandler have all left the team. The Bobcats start their season tonight versus the Bucks in a major youth movement.

“It was a surprise,’’ Jackson said of being traded, “considering that I brought this team to the playoffs and that hadn’t been done since the organization has been here. At the same time, it’s not the first time I’ve been traded. The first day is always a shocker, but the next day you wake up and you still have a great job and a great gift to play basketball.’’

Any extra motivation tonight?

“There’s not any bad blood,’’ Jackson said. “I know people are probably thinking, ‘He’s coming in wanting to get 50.’ I’m not that focused on this game.’’

“I think I’ve got a better situation to get to the playoffs with the team I’m with now than being here. And that’s what I want to do. I hate to lose.

“If they’re going young, and they feel like they’re going to lose, it was the best situation to move me. I wasn’t going to be happy with just losing. I agree with them on that.’’

Posted by Observer Sports on December 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

jackson said that when wallace left he really left then why give the front office all that bad pub over the summer saying they kept him out of the line up when his injured hamstring was healed because they were trying to lose. the only lose here is jackson and his primadona act. cant wait for henderson to score 50 on jackson tonight because as usual jackson will be too busy arguing with the refs to get back on defense.

Posted by: thevoice | Dec 26, 2011 1:02:50 PM

Many of us checked out when Gerald left. It wasn't that he was Lebron or Chris Paul or Howard- it was that he was the only original Bobcat, and that he gave 110% every night. Gerald Wallace WAS the face of the Charlotte Bobcats. As a long time season ticket holder, my grieving is done, and I'm ready to move on. If Jordan continues to take the steps toward success that he is taking, I see us being a contender for the conference within 2-3 seasons. Go Bobcats!!

Posted by: Hoagie58 | Dec 26, 2011 1:24:41 PM

this guy is delusional, he talks about it like boris, gerald, raymond, tyson, etc. had nothing to do with that playoff birth.

he even made the comment regarding the bucks and andrew bogut that "last time i had a big man (in san antonio) I won a championship"

as if he was the entire reason and the key to the spurs winning the championship in 2003 or whenever it was. the guy is delusional.

the team was LOSING with gerald and jack. the dampier trade and signing thomas instead of felton killed the playoff chances of the team last year. trading them both was the right move.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 26, 2011 1:48:07 PM

Why do you dismantle a team after getting swept in it's first playoff series! Hoping a ping pong ball with your logo on it getting picked for the #1 pick is no plan for the future! Hopefully Kemba and Jackson take turns trying to win the game in the last minutes tonight!

Posted by: joe cool | Dec 26, 2011 1:48:39 PM

I am thankful for him helping us make the playoffs and liked him when he was here, but I don't mind seeing him on the visiting team tonight....

Posted by: Gary | Dec 26, 2011 2:28:34 PM

REALLY was upset when Felton left, more than anything. I like the youth movement Bobcats are trying to do, just wish we could bring in a lowcost veteran that could help, kinda skeptical about Maggette. Like many on here, what has Corey ever done. JACK was good and bad for the Bobcats,,,but the Bucks aren't going anywhere in the East either.

Posted by: JC | Dec 26, 2011 2:53:37 PM

Ballhog crybaby thug. Good riddance.

Posted by: Phil | Dec 26, 2011 3:26:08 PM

What are the odds on Jack getting ejected tonight?

Posted by: Cranky | Dec 26, 2011 3:54:57 PM

I agree with the youth movement. This is the first chance the Bobcats have to really become something. This year is more than likely going to be rough but if we can become better I am ready for it. Stephen Jackson was a good player but not that good.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 26, 2011 4:05:09 PM

i just think that Jackson is pretty angry because he knows this team just needs a few pieces to win the final. We have beaten Lakers and Boston with our non superstar team. Meanwhile, what do the Bucks have?

Posted by: vinh | Dec 26, 2011 4:31:20 PM

The Kemba era begins in T minus 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Posted by: Skip | Dec 26, 2011 4:43:17 PM

Jackson also was a big part of what was wrong with this team. He was a technical foul and turnover machine. He scored a lot of points, but he wasn't reliable ... he wasn't as good as he thought he was.

Posted by: Brad | Dec 26, 2011 5:30:43 PM

Does anybody STILL think we should have let Ray Felton go in order to sign Tyrus Thomas?? Hopefully Kemba will erase that pain.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Dec 26, 2011 5:57:05 PM

". . . considering that I brought this team to the playoffs."

See-That statement sums up Stephen's problem.
*I* *I* *I* *I* *I*

Posted by: Sports Phan | Dec 26, 2011 6:17:29 PM

JC & deLaQuest I rides with both of you! I miss Jack and wish him the best!

Posted by: Digal704 | Dec 26, 2011 6:27:39 PM

Jack will be fine whoever he is with....

I am liking some Byron Mullens(Agressive allover). Think we have found "A Diamond"!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 26, 2011 10:52:40 PM

BJ Mullen was impressive for someone that wasn't notice by the Thunders. He just needs more minutes and he will provide us with a future center.

Posted by: vinh | Dec 26, 2011 11:05:17 PM

Mullens could be a monster allowed too be!!!!!!!!!!!

I love his aggressiveness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could care less about his shooting!!!!!!!!!!! All around aggressivenness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love it

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 27, 2011 12:14:32 AM

was many DIOP,,, JUST SAYING!!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 27, 2011 12:54:47 AM

Mullens looked decent. DJ & Gerald looked great thanks to Larry Brown who rode there ass, maybe too much during games but they learned something. Silas may be a better bench coach more patient but Silas and staff can't "coach'em up". Kemba is overrated he needs to play more in control and is 3-4 years away from being a true point guard if ever. The ball does not move when he is in the game. Bismarc is a real project hope he spends time in the off season with someone who can "coach'em up".

Posted by: TrueBBallFan | Dec 27, 2011 10:08:04 AM

Getting to the playoffs and then being hopelessly swept out of them is not the cusp of success Jackson seems to think it was. He never fit here in Charlotte and looking at all his moving around, I would say he doesn't fit well in a lot of places.

It's hard to think of players we should have kept that are gone now, Jared Dudley comes to mind...Gerald Wallace was fun, but fits in better with Portland.

Felton was not a good clutch PG. He rarely came thru at the end of games, which is when most NBA games are decided.

Posted by: Sportsdon | Dec 27, 2011 10:37:51 AM

DJ had a great game even though he started 0-4 from outside. hope he's not injured. bismack will be fine....he's (supposedly/hopefully) really young. he can be a major rebounder and shot blocker in this league SOON. everything else will take a few years.

nobody will talk about it, but boris was insane. 9 points, 11 boards, 9 assists. 2 blocks, only 1 turnover. dude never gets credit.

maggette was the black hole that he will be. but to his credit, him knocking down those 2 jumpers in the 3rd jumpstarted everything. that dunk was incredible. but 6 turns and 6 of 15 from the field and no FT trips is not worth playing him for. minutes better served going to brown and others.

i love walker in the role he played. he is absolutely IDEAL to backup augustin. dude is a ball of energy and augustin really isn't that at all. it's a great combo. if they give augustin 30-32 mpg and walker 18-20. this could work big time. walker can put up 15 points in 20 minutes when he's leading and playing against 2nd teams. he's been great taking care of the ball but augustin distributes so much better. great combo game last night....hope that stays that way as opposed to being problematic.

the heat game will be ugly. they made orlando look like washington. we should be happy with moral victories wednesday.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 27, 2011 10:45:50 AM

I know I sound like a broken record.

Let's drop the Bobcats name and colors and bring back the Hornets. I promise more people will come to the games and wear team memorabilia. PLEASE MJ!

Does anyone know if the Hornets are sold and the name changed, whether we can acquire the colors and the name?

Posted by: long | Dec 27, 2011 11:44:05 AM

I agree with Jackson and he said we..not I.

Also bobcats are pathetic, they traded Tyson Chandler for nothing after they traded Emeke Okafor for him. So there 1st franchise pick gone for nothing, and then another original bobcat Gerald Wallace for nothing. So I can't blame him. Bobcats have a history of making poor decisions when building their franchise. Not drafting Brook Lopez when they still had Raymond Felton.

“Considering what we did (getting to) the playoffs, and then all those changes. To take Gerald away really took a lot out of me. I still was trying to do my job as best I can, but it was a lot harder. When they got rid of Gerald, that let me know they didn’t want to win. I didn’t want to be part of a place like that.’’

Posted by: Jason | Dec 27, 2011 1:16:01 PM

A lot of good contributions last night. I'm jealous of folks who got to see it at the arena. You could tell it was electric.

I like BJ Mullens as a potential longterm compliment with the potential interior stud Biyombo. A 7-footer who can stretch the floor with outside shooting? Have we ever had anything close to that? If he can keep that up, it will be HUGE for our offensive spacing, especially since Gerald and Kemba are much more midrange guards than 3-point shooters.

It cracks me up to see some folks dissing Biyombo on the web after one game. What a joke.

How can you not love Boris Diaw last night? Being Boris but adding more rebounds.

A wing player's development will likely suffer this year, especially if we try DJ and Kemba together. You know Maggette and Henderson will get their minutes. That leaves Derrick Brown, Matt Carroll, and eventually Reggie Williams to compete for meager time. I hate to shut down the fan favorite Carroll, but that seems to make sense for the future.

And of course there is the logjam at the four spot. I fear we will not get to see much of Biyombo this season. I hope it doesn't squash his enthusiasm and work ethic. Let's remember he is a young guy a long way from home.....

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Dec 27, 2011 3:52:35 PM

Biyombo will eventually get diops minutes.

Jason,
I hear what you're saying ....but we got 2 first rounders for gerald. That was a decent deal up until we didn't keep cunningham. Not keeping him or getting anything in return helps make the deal look worse. But he had to go. The guy walked off the floor forcing kwame to shoot game tying/winning free throws last year (that he missed of course) and gerald wasn't even injured. He was at practice the next day. It was time for him to go. It was great while it lasted.

But yea....they traded tyson chandler for nothing. They actually traded the guy for bad contracts. Rod higgins should be getting a ring for that deal.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 27, 2011 9:31:15 PM

It's a little early to assume Biyombo will get Diop's or any other player's minutes THIS season. When Thomas returns we could be looking at a Boris/Mullens combo filling at Center and Tyrus/White at the 4 spot.

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Dec 28, 2011 2:19:04 AM

i agree it's early to assume anything really but keep in mind he JUST started practicing. he's already a young rookie, and missed practice time. it'll take him a minute, but they aren't going to sit their top draft pick behind some out of shape 30 year old all year. to start out with to get his feet wet? absolutely. probably a 10 mpg cap on the kid the first month or so of the season.

long term? they're gonna give the guy 20 mpg later in the year. i expect some sort of trade to take place this year. i look at boris and maggette as training wheels for this group and once they can ride the bike without, you take em off. i want them to keep boris permanently (maggette not so much) but somebody will come along and need him more than we will and it will open up a ton of minutes. maggette will be a tough move but if we can move him instead and move boris to the 3 that would be ideal. opens up for a

augustin/walker/not higgins
henderson/williams/carroll
boris/brown
thomas/white
mullens/biyombo/diop

type of scenario at the end of the year.

i want to see biyombo guard lebron tonight. even if just once. would make my day if he blocks dudes shot. just as good as a win.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 28, 2011 9:30:06 AM

The Bobcats are undefeated. Just wanted to say that while it's still true.

Posted by: apauldds | Dec 28, 2011 10:02:00 AM

"long term? they're gonna give the guy(Biyombo) 20 mpg later in the year."

Okay, Charlottean, I'm gonna hold you TO that. I wouldn't mind it because I want to see everything he can do and build for the future. I just hope the Bobcats see it that way.

Is there an Ammo sighting? I thought he quit Serbia and was looking to play in this hemisphere.....

Posted by: DeLaQuest | Dec 28, 2011 6:30:10 PM

seems like silas sees it that way.....he put him on the floor in the 4th quarter key situations yesterday. Silas is the PERFECT coach for this group. I believe in continuity and I actually think he should have a life contract (coach as long as he wants) and his son should be first in line to replace him.

he played 6 minutes game 1, 13 minutes last night.....thomas coming back eventually will probably throw a wrench in that but I expect SOMEBODY to get moved to create a roll for him. I think you're gonna see him get in that 13-15 mpg range NOW and more later if he earns it. you can already see the potential havoc, the energy he brings, the guy plays HARD. i love it.

cut the fat (maggette) like i mentioned above and you're sitting on a young 10 man core that can grow up together. they learn how to win together and sky is the limit.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 29, 2011 2:30:16 PM