« Agent: Bobcats inquire about Warriors' 3-point shooter Williams | Main | A predictable bow to the TV gods »

December 06, 2011

Kwame Brown visits Bobcats

Agent Mark Bartelstein confirmed to the Observer today that center Kwame Brown met with Charlotte Bobcats management to discuss him re-signing here.

Brown, an unrestricted free agent, finished last season as the Bobcats' starting center. As of now, Gana Diop, coming off a ruptured Achilles tendon, is the only true center under contract to the Bobcats.

Brown expressed gratitude at the end of last season to Bobcats owner Michael Jordan, player-personnel chief Rod Higgins and coach Paul Silas for re-igniting his career. Bartelstein said it's still uncertain where Brown will sign, but acknowledged what a good experience Brown in Charlotte.

"No question he is tremendously appreciative of the opportunity Michael and Rod gave him,'' said Bartelstein. "And also the opportunity Paul gave him'' when Silas took over as coach in December.

"All those things, that's not lip-service. But by the same token, it's a business.''

Bartelstein expects a decision sometime in the next few days. The earliest free agents can sign contracts is Friday, the anticipated end of the NBA lockout.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 6, 2011 at 03:37 PM | Permalink

Comments

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but if Kwame Brown leaves this team, we're doomed. He did an excellent job for the Cats last year.

Posted by: Smitty | Dec 6, 2011 3:58:13 PM

Smitty:
I think Kwame is valuable, and I thought so all the way back to when they originally signed him. But "doomed'' might be too strong a word.

Posted by: Rick Bonnell | Dec 6, 2011 4:00:16 PM

I can't beleive we have been reduced to getting excited about The Return of Diop, and being the potential power ball winning team that gets to sign the amazing Kwame Brown.

Tremendous. My investment in this team as a season ticket holder is looking strong.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 6, 2011 4:00:29 PM

Just good to be talking NBA again.

Posted by: PantherHead | Dec 6, 2011 4:20:52 PM

Dont overpay!

Posted by: Deon | Dec 6, 2011 4:48:10 PM

In other words, even though he has a good situation here, he's going to whoever pays him the most money.

Posted by: DaveT | Dec 6, 2011 5:44:45 PM

I do hope we resign Kwame. He is a good fit here. I think we may shape into a competitive team, playing PAUL_BALL!

Posted by: really? | Dec 6, 2011 5:45:34 PM

I believe you keep kwame brown to a 2 year contract but at a small amount. the way i see it is that bismack is the future but i also believe with that been said if the bobcats have bad year which they will hope to get the #1 pick and get the big man out of UCONN or Barnes from carolina but this my wild card Quincy Miller out of Baylor the freshmen he is from high point and could be the next kevin durant

Posted by: dluckey | Dec 6, 2011 6:00:54 PM

Please mj don't let kwame trick you twice. He played well in his contract year thats all. He is not gonna make any big difference with this team. Maybe 3 or 4 wins difference. Do not go past 2m or 2.5m.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 6, 2011 8:40:05 PM

Signing Reggie Williams would be nice, but Charlotte really only needs to make two moves this year. Sign Brown to a contract similar to Darko Milicic and trade Maggette and maybe Cunningham to the Wolves for Beasley and Webster. I'd love adding Anthony Randolph to this trade somehow and drop DJ for someone else, but that's probably asking too much.

Posted by: Larry | Dec 7, 2011 1:42:00 AM

@dluckey- Quincy Miller is from Chicago, IL he just went to a private high school in High Point on an athletic scholarship.

I would love to see the Bobcats draft Miller too if he is available, he could be special.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 7, 2011 2:58:33 AM

@Larry- Quincy Miller is actually from Fairmont, NC well let's say this his family, but was raised in chicago then moved to Fairmont, NC in robeson county his 9th grade year played there and they realize the potential he had and sent him to Quality Education to get the exposure and skill training. So he wouldn't mind playing in Charlotte...

Posted by: Dakingnc | Dec 7, 2011 7:17:55 AM

We need bigs! Jared Sullinger!! Enough said! Forget Barnes & Miller!

Posted by: DL | Dec 7, 2011 9:19:06 AM

Yea DL the bobcats need another power forward... We don't already have 4

Posted by: Spaceman mike | Dec 7, 2011 9:28:08 AM

the bobcats have to give their 1st pick to the chicago bulls for the trade for.........tyrus thomas.

Posted by: zach | Dec 7, 2011 9:34:59 AM

zach....wrong.

the pick is protected if its in the top 14 of this draft. i'm sorry i meant to say 'when' it's in the top 14.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 7, 2011 10:48:05 AM

Zach,

Next years Bobcats pick is protected. I believe is top 10 protected (correct me if I'm wrong). Meaning that if the Bobcats get one of the first 9 picks, they get to keep it. The current roster "in my opinion" is projected to be a lottery team.

Posted by: RobC | Dec 7, 2011 10:55:50 AM

The Bobcats should have one of the Top 3 or 5 picks in next years draft. Unless we get completly screwed up by the lottery. That means we get to keep our pick one more year.

Posted by: RobC | Dec 7, 2011 10:57:42 AM

I hope Kwame signs with the Bobcats. But, the Bobcats need to give him fair market value.

mike t.

Posted by: Michael C. Teniente | Dec 7, 2011 1:13:50 PM

I think it would be a mistake for Kwame to sign with Miami. You talk about politics in basketball? Kwame has been a victim of basketball politics since he came into the league. Going to Miami with James, Wade, and Bosh; Kwame would be walking straight into a political situation, again.

Previous political situations for Kwame:

Playing with Jordan and Arenas in Washington.

Playing with Kobe in Los Angeles.

Playing for the dump coaching staff in Detroit.

Kwame playing with the Bobcats last season was his first season where the politics were down and he got a chance to play. Little by little he grew to be a decent center with the chance to improve by working on his shot with coach Silas.

If I were Kwame I would sign with the Bobcats, but it has to be a reasonable offer by the 'Cats.

mike t.

Posted by: Michael C. Teniente | Dec 7, 2011 1:22:24 PM

In response to crymeariver, Twolves do not need Maggette they have a glut of small forwards on their team. If we had a two guard for trade maybe

Posted by: Justin | Dec 7, 2011 1:29:06 PM

I hope Kwame resigns, but I hope even more that the team doesn't overpay. The team's roster needs work and has to have flexibility. They probably win 22-25 games this year with or without Kwame, but hopefully they can really start building a team. That will be hard to do if they overpay for anyone. They already have to contend with the salaries of Diop and Maggette, and previously overpaid for Carrol (who, incidentily was traded for Diop and was then reaquired, which means they ended up with both bad salaries).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily down on all these players. I'm just saying some of the salaries are justified in terms of production.

Posted by: Phillip | Dec 7, 2011 1:48:47 PM

Don't listen to silas. He is only interested in how the team does this year. Don't overpay kwame. If he asks for more than $2.5m let him go to miami. Overpaying kwame does not affect them the way it affects this team. Please tell me this management is smarter than previous ones.

Posted by: crymeariver | Dec 7, 2011 7:39:15 PM