« Boris Diaw, Charlotte Bobcats agree to buyout | Main | Kemba Walker to start for Charlotte Bobcats »

March 28, 2012

NBA wants advance notice when Stephen Silas coaches Charlotte Bobcats

The NBA wants to know in advance which Silas is the Charlotte Bobcats’ head coach for any single game.

Coach Paul Silas told me at shoot-around this morning that the league has asked the Bobcats for a heads-up whenever lead assistant Stephen Silas is taking over the team for a game. With the front office’s blessing, Paul Silas is having his son coach about once a week the rest of the season as a training exercise.

The likely next game Stephen Silas will coach is Saturday, on the road against the Detroit Pistons.

It makes sense that the league office wants to inform that night’s officiating crew in advance that Stephen Silas is in charge. Referees give head coaches more latitude – to stand throughout the game, to argue calls, to ask for interpretations – than they do assistants. So it makes sense for refs to know how to delineate between Paul’s and Stephen’s roles.

What Paul Silas is doing with his son isn’t unprecedented. Former Golden State Warriors and Dallas Mavericks coach Don Nelson used to let assistants Avery Johnson and Keith Smart coach games on occasion. Johnson now coaches the New Jersey Nets. Smart now coaches the Sacramento Kings.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 28, 2012 at 01:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

Fantastic. So now our embarassment of a franchise has turned into a coaching internship. Why not let a fan coach the team like that stupid Whoopi Goldberg movie they filmed at the old coliseum. I have really made an attempt to support this franchise and bring a more positive outlook, but I am done with that nonsense. It is painfully obvious that MJ simply wants to say he owns a team and has no plans to actually make them decent. Get read Charlotte fans, you are about to be home to the WORST TEAM IN NBA HISTORY.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Mar 28, 2012 2:30:10 PM

since your an app fan im assuming your a panthers fan. Im honestly curious about your opinion on armanti edwards.. just so i can know how seriously to take you.

Posted by: zach | Mar 28, 2012 2:41:10 PM

Does it really matter, they are losing either way.

Posted by: Robert Openhiemer | Mar 28, 2012 2:45:18 PM

AppGrad04, here's a news flash...Bobcats won't make the playoffs. Your muted outrage comes across as either someone who hasn't seen the Cats long-term goal (which most sane people support) which has been discussed ad nauseam or just likes to kick MJ every couple weeks. Get Real!

Posted by: Get Real | Mar 28, 2012 2:49:08 PM

I agree 100% with AppGrad04. This is a friggin joke! Bonnell, one thing you neglected to mention in your article is that Avery Johnson and Keith Smart aren't Don Nelson's sons! This is nepotism of the highest order. As a Bobcats season ticket holder, first and foremost, let me just say I am an idiot. I am an idiot for believing this team is really trying to put the best product on the court. They aren't.

Let me say this too - the customer service the Bobcats provide is outstanding...way better than anything I've ever gotten as a Panthers PSL holder...the Bobcats provide all kinds of added-value for their season ticket holders...in the end, though, it doesn't matter. The Bobcats, for all they try to do to keep me happy, have failed in providing a winning team. That's what I care about MOST. Worse yet, they appear not to be trying.

I am done as a season ticket holder after this year. I'll go to games, but it won't be on my dime.

What a friggin joke.

Posted by: MP | Mar 28, 2012 2:53:34 PM

my deddy said to be quiet or he's gonna be mean.

Posted by: Stevie Silas | Mar 28, 2012 2:59:30 PM

Which Silas is in charge?

Is neither an option to that question?

I was watching the two coaches on Monday, Doc is up, barking, marching up and down, pointing, directing....

I look over at the Bobcats bench, the coaches looked like they were chilling in a hot tub.

Guys, get up, get engaged, lets show some passion, maybe it will spill over to more than just Kemba and Bismack.

Posted by: Dropkick Murphys | Mar 28, 2012 3:00:46 PM

Rod Higgins' son Cory is rotting on the bench wasting a roster spot. Paul Silas' son Stephen is running an internship. Hell why dont we just bring in Michaels son Jeffrey to run the point for us while were at it.

Posted by: Jason Warren | Mar 28, 2012 3:02:20 PM

Good points. The team is aweful enough now we have to openly admit that this is an internship for the coach's son. Come on.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 28, 2012 3:08:26 PM

So we are now paying for his coaching lesson? You buy a ticket, you would think you get real players and real coaches. I admit Silas seems to have already checked out for the season but come on, letting his son play coach? That's not why we are there.

Posted by: Ande | Mar 28, 2012 3:15:32 PM

I don't see what the big deal is with the fans about who is in charge. We all knew this season was a throw-away. Silas Jr might be a better coach than his dad is and he might be the next guy in line here so relax. This is a learning season for everyone.
Most of you would probably argue a coach is worthless anyway. So who cares. We might have a rising coaching star sitting here and without a chance to prove it we would never know. It isn't like Paul Sr is has us in the playoff hunt and this will hurt our chances. Might as well experiment while we have the chance

Posted by: bdubb | Mar 28, 2012 3:23:23 PM

Some of these "Fans" don't have a clue about the game or coaching...lol Especially these "Some-Timey" Charlotte fans, who whine about anything. This was a throw away season, and next season won't be any better. They are BUILDING...or trying too at least. I don't expect them to make every decision a PERFECT decision...but the fan base around Charlotte is Crappy. Sometimes, I feel the City doesn't even deserve a team.

Posted by: Mackey | Mar 28, 2012 3:40:05 PM

TO all the uneducated fans out there that just aren't getting it. THe Bobcats suck. Yes they stink out loud...but we knew they would. They shed so-so players that will only take you so far in order to get better. News flash!!!! If you are drafting high enough to get a difference maker you weren't very good. What the Bobcats are doing isn't new and it usually works. There are alot of teams that don't do it because they care more about bottom line than winning. They want a young core that they build around and be good for years to come not just 2 or 3. THe Thunder did it where are they now? The Panthers did it and are on the rise. It takes time people. Right now our interior defense is non-existent but imagine it with Biyombo and a certain Kentucky player in the middle. Think what will be not what is now.

Posted by: JerryL | Mar 28, 2012 3:49:04 PM

My concern isn't that Son of Silas is getting games to practice head-coaching. The bigger problem is lack of results, player development or overall team improvement. THOSE are the results of good coaching and training that show up on the court in even miserable seasons...IF they are happening. Paul complained about injuries, and that is a difficult thing. But, every team deals with injuries. Lack of talent? Absolutely. Lack of effort? Some nights it is there...but most of these blowouts demonstrate otherwise. We need a completely new regime after this season is over. Stephen may indeed head coach one day, but it should not be here.

Posted by: Bassman | Mar 28, 2012 3:51:43 PM

If we aren't fortunate enough to get the first pick in the draft, I hope we don't settle for Andre Drummond. Please go with Kidd-Gilcrest. He'll be the closest thing to Crash.

Second rounder could be Ezell or Melo. Either could help us down low.

Posted by: usc88 | Mar 28, 2012 3:55:46 PM

In response to the post by Get Real....this team has no long term goal. We have been hearing 'long term goal' since day one of the franchise. At some point that goal needs to be reached. I do not see any promise of that any time soon.

Not related to your comment (this is mine) NONE of this performance can be blamed on either Silas. This team is made up of scrap pieces. All you can make out of sraps is a big pile of scrap. #1 pick will not help much.

Posted by: SteveS | Mar 28, 2012 4:14:38 PM

Get Real, Mackey & Jerry L keep drinking the Kool-Aid the spaceship will be here anytime now. Gave up my season tickets at the end of last year. This "plan" may work or may not, if it works then I'll buy tickets again at the exact same season price that the clowns who have kept their tickets will be paying. Until then I can watch 30 point blow outs on SportSouth and have beer at 1/8 th the cost of flat arena beer.

Posted by: TrueBBallFan | Mar 28, 2012 4:20:06 PM

Paul Silas is a joke. Dude sleeps during games, literally falls asleep. He must be working for free to not have been fired already.

Posted by: Frank | Mar 28, 2012 5:09:53 PM

if you have more than one head coach you don't have a coach! What a joke! Coach K told me he let Collins coach against Lehigh! No respect for the game or it's fan base!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 28, 2012 5:26:21 PM

This franchise is the laughing stock of the NBA!

Posted by: George Hanson | Mar 28, 2012 6:36:50 PM

Some of these posts have been the most entertaining things I've read concerning the Bobcats all season.

This season is just dragging along. The NBA draft can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: Smitty | Mar 28, 2012 7:08:51 PM

this would look really bad to me if younger silas hadn't been in the league as an assistant without his dad for the past several years. still doesn't look great.

i doubt d'antoni is really interested in the job but with guys like augustin, henderson, mullens, biyombo, tyrus thomas, derrick brown, kemba walker, and a big draft pick to build around........he seems like a very ideal candidate to bring in.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 28, 2012 7:33:18 PM

Silas jr is not the answer or he would not tolerate putting an offense together where the roller gets the ball,bigs pass to bigs inside for layups,cutters going back door get the ball ..

If you put thomas even in the man movement like kevin love is put in he would score. White or henderson too. They wouldnt hit the threes but cutting and getting the ball back for layups would go along way.

Posted by: Ironman | Mar 28, 2012 9:31:29 PM

Hire Bill Laimbeer to coach! Kevin Love will play for him!

Posted by: joe cool | Mar 28, 2012 11:23:31 PM

The only reason this is taking place is because Silas has lost all desire to coach this team. Watch him during games and tell me I am wrong. The man looks tired and defeated before the game even starts. As for the "long term plan" I have heard that song and dance since the team came around. That was why we traded this player, passed on that player, bought out this guy, cut that guy. The reality is that Jordan's track record as a front office guy is pitiful and Silas has lost his fire. We have a few good young players and nothing else. Now we are holding spots on the bench for a "Coach In Training" and Higgins' kid? We have passed the point where this can be considered a legitimate franchise.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Mar 29, 2012 9:25:02 AM

Just to be clear, I legitimately want this franchise to be successful in Charlotte. I can remember sitting in the top row of the old coliseum for Hornets games as a kid and I want to have the opportunity to take my son to games as well. My problem, like many others, is that I do not see that there is real leadership coming from the front office. Look at the way the Gerald Wallace situation was handled last season. Look at the way the Boris Diaw situation was handled this season.

Posted by: AppGrad04 | Mar 29, 2012 9:32:52 AM

Y'all won't be upset when u have Anthony Davis starting next year. I would venture to believe the coach next year isn't a Silas

Posted by: kray | Mar 29, 2012 12:09:10 PM

I am resigned season ticket holder for next year but will see after that. When my same tickets I paid $110 a seat for sell for $30 outside every game I feel like a fool.
Now as for Jr here sub coaching I really hope the plan isn't to have him run the show next year?!?! We need a real fiery new coach with energy that will be here a while and is good at developing talent

Posted by: Chris | Mar 29, 2012 12:10:10 PM

Truth be told, it doesn't matter which Silas is coaching the team right now, because they both use the same stupid player rotations. For anyone who has actually watched this team play more than a game or to; you'd realize they are not as bad as our record indicates - they're just plagued by inconsistant scoring.

It seems like every game, we get down by 10 or so in the first quarter, storm back in the second, then go down even further in the 3rd. And the reason for this starts with 'DJ' and doesn't end in 'White'. Augustin has been terrible over the last month of this season. Last night he had 0 points, 8 assists in 24 minutes. Monday he had 2 points, 1 assist in 21 minuts. Now granted he is only playing right at half the game; but he always plays the enitre 1st and 3rd quaters - never Kemba. Let Kemba run with the A team for a few games and see what happens!

I thought Silas was the right guy to take over for Larry Brown last year; but I think the game has passed him now. I figure D'Antoni is headed to Washington, so maybe we can grab Nate McMillian and bring him back the NC next year.

Posted by: WDB | Mar 29, 2012 1:22:47 PM

People, People
Relax. They were no good in the beginning give these guys credit. Young team rebuild mode will get better. We a difference maker and some more defensive and spot up shooters. Like a A. Davis, maybe Sully or Robinson, then maybe Barnes, Gilchest or McAdoo (if he leaves)can come afterwards. Cap room and draft picks make things easier in the long run. Stop all this b******it doesn't help or hurt the team. Who cares who is coach? I wouldn't care if Chris Rock coached this year. The season is overrrrrrrrr. Let's hope to get the number 1 draft pick r number two. I honestly am glad they lose, heck don't wont to mess that up. Maybe we could sign a bigger point guard for DJ. I like him but defensive liability, and he has a drop off in some guys. I am sorry pgs don't need to drugged every night. free agents need to picked up but they have to be quality free agents. The heat is on.......

Posted by: tbird | Mar 29, 2012 2:02:49 PM

8 assists in 24 minutes is actually a great game out of your point guard. now you want him to hit 2 of the 4 shots he took, but still. he's playing pretty bad. they say he's hurt and you have to believe that's part of it.

kemba DID have plenty of time to run with the 1's. he is getting plenty of PT to show what he can do with the 2's and he's not consistently doing much either. I don't think point guard is the problem, even though neither has stepped up and owned the position. 2 guard isn't the problem when hendo is healthy. he's developing into a stud.

the front court has been the problem and we've seen flashes of brilliance from mullens and biyombo at times, we've seen consistent play from d.j. white and we've seen really consistent play from derrick brown. they just need time. you add a stud front court player to that mix and give them time....you're going to see results.

coaching is a whole other issue. mcmillan, d'antoni, patrick ewing, sam cassell, lawrence frank if detroit lets him go....there are quite a few solid options out there. i thought silas would have gotten more out of guys by now. really only henderson and derrick brown have steadily progressed under silas. everybody else has been pretty inconsistent.

Posted by: charlottean | Mar 29, 2012 8:50:05 PM

Would be a little surprised if Detroit fires Frank. Don't forget Porter if we're talking mid-tier. He got the most out of a less talented team in MIL and he still had a +.500 record even though he wad thrown under the bus by Kerr not having a clue what it means to be a GM. The report about Kerr going to Portland is preposterous. Whoever gives him the keys to car should be fired themselves.

Love Ewing as a player; can't say I know if he should be a coach. An unproven FOM wouldn't work here though. Still would love someone to give him a chance to prove if he can or not.

Frank would be a steal; so would McMillan. I'd give Cassell a shot just for the helluva it.

Posted by: Downtown Sports | Mar 30, 2012 8:01:48 AM

Posted by: Jason Warren | Mar 28, 2012 3:02:20 PM

LMAO!

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 1, 2012 8:42:56 AM

i have the most incredible idea of how mj can improve the team and sell more tickets: fire rod higgins.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 1, 2012 5:33:59 PM

D'Antoni, Frank, McMillan, Ewing... How many rings do these guys have combined?

What's that?

None?

Oh.

They have just as many rings as Stephen Silas. Amazing...

Posted by: J | Apr 3, 2012 8:56:57 AM