« Agent David Falk: Huge gap between Anthony Davis and the rest of the draft | Main | Nate McMillan in town to interview with Charlotte Bobcats »

May 16, 2012

Kyrie Irving speaks highly of Nate Tibbetts, Bobcats coaching candidate

I don't know whether Cleveland Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts is ready to be an NBA head coach, but I do now appreciate why the Charlotte Bobcats thought enough of him to bring him in for an interview.
    Tibbetts was the first guy former Duke star Kyrie Irving thanked at the press conference Tuesday to announce Irving was NBA rookie of the year.
  "I'd like to thank the coaches, .. coach Tibbetts and coach (Byron) Scott,'' Irving began.
    "Coach Tibbetts would pull me over at the start of the season and I was always such a shy guy, all I did was come into practice. I was here three hours early, getting my shots up because I was so nervous to come in and I wanted to make everything perfect...
    "Coach Tibbetts told me what to do and what not to do every single day after practice...He told me to work hard at my profession and be the best every day.''
    Like I said, I don't know enough about Tibbetts to say if he's ready. But Irving's quotes suggest traits -- teacher, patient, encouraging -- that the next Bobcats coach will need in what figures to be a challenging rebuild.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

Comments

Let's stay away from hiring a former D-League coach without much NBA experience. That didn't work too well last time

Posted by: bronsyn | May 16, 2012 10:42:51 AM

kyrie irving also said coach K assurred him he would be coaching team USA in 2016.

Posted by: charlottean | May 16, 2012 12:26:09 PM

How much experiece did Scoot Brooks have before he got the job in OKC?

Posted by: Big Time | May 16, 2012 1:08:03 PM

man this is so boring no news that talks about what we should do if the lottery doesn't give us DAVIS

Posted by: vin | May 16, 2012 1:51:27 PM

scott brooks played in the nba for like 10 years and then was an assistant in the nba for like 5 years and had another few years of playing and coaching experience in other leagues. guys that played in the league for a long time really don't need much experience as an assistant to know how to run a team.

avery johnson was proof of that, as was larry bird, doc rivers, etc.

but the other guys? they need to be in the league for a while in ANY capacity (see the spoelstra's and what not) before they should be running the team.

Posted by: charlottean | May 16, 2012 2:27:01 PM

Hire him! I can't wait for that championship tradition he brings from Cleveland!

Posted by: joe cool | May 16, 2012 6:01:15 PM

Rick, what is it with you taking shots at mj on twitter? I noticed when when you don't get someting you want from this organization you always resort to taking shots at mj. Why blame mj for Diaw when higgins is the president? Are you afraid that you will lose your only source in the organization?

Posted by: crymeariver | May 17, 2012 12:08:14 AM

Rick thanks for once again producing another lame article can you do something relevant like talk about possible Free Agents or who Bobcats would take at 2,3 or 4? Does anyone monitor your work or lack there of??? Please do us a favor and retire

Posted by: Your Mom | May 17, 2012 9:26:28 AM

I'm patience, a teacher and do encourage people. Hire me as next Bobcats coach.

Posted by: bobcats | May 17, 2012 9:55:58 PM

@ Bobcats

If u were a teacher you wold know that it is "I'm patient"

On another note Ewing interviewed yesterday and not a word in CO yet it is in the New York papers. This clown Bonnell needs to go.

Posted by: TrueBBallFan | May 18, 2012 12:07:59 PM

Well, that's a ringing endorsement from the Rookie of the Year. I have yet to hear such endorsements like this for any of the other candidates. Doesn't that tell us something?

Posted by: J | May 21, 2012 12:38:02 PM