« Some Day II thoughts on Mike Dunlap and the Charlotte Bobcats | Main | Syracuse's Dion Waiters this draft's mystery man »

June 23, 2012

A Bobcats-Cavs swap of picks makes sense

After calling some sources with lottery picks Saturday, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Charlotte Bobcats and Cleveland Cavaliers swap draft picks in Thursday’s draft. In that sort of a deal, the Bobcats would pick fourth and 24th and the Cavs would move up to No. 2.

From the day he became part of this front office, general manager Rich Cho has talked about gathering extra assets, and that generally means extra first-round picks. It’s a strategy the Oklahoma City Thunder leaned on when Cho was part of that front office.

Generally I’m not a fan of swapping quality for quantity in the NBA draft, but this might be the exception. Three long-time draft scouts all told me roughly the same thing; that after Kentucky’s Anthony Davis goes No. 1 to New Orleans, there won’t be a big difference between the next three to five players chosen.

I think picks 2 through 4 will be some order of Kansas’s Thomas Robinson, North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes and Florida’s Bradley Beal. (Kentucky’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could fall to, and perhaps past, the Sacramento Kings at No. 5).

Say, for the sake of argument, that the Bobcats don’t have a huge preference between Robinson, Barnes or Beal. Coming off a 7-59 season, the Bobcats have holes to fill everywhere, so adding a second first-round pick could be worth dropping from 2 to 4. Cho’s Thunder sure made out well in 2008, picking Serge Ibaka 24th overall.

Why might the Cavs do this? Just a guess, but I wonder if Cleveland has a strong preference for one player (Beal?) who they see the Washington Wizards drafting third. Cleveland has a potential superstar in point guard Kyrie Irving and a young big man in Tristan Thompson. A wing scorer is logically next on the to-do list.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 23, 2012 at 05:17 PM | Permalink

Comments

If this happens, Fab Melo @ 24?

Posted by: Ocracoma | Jun 23, 2012 5:42:44 PM

The Cavs also have the 33 & 34 picks. It would be nice if Cho and company could get them to also include one of those second round picks.

Then the CATS take Harrison Barnes at 4.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 23, 2012 6:01:27 PM

Hope Cavs do it!

Posted by: TruCatFan | Jun 23, 2012 6:48:15 PM

Do this trade immediately, take Robinson at 4 and then Barton from Memphis at 24. Then go for best available talent with 1st pick in 2nd round. That should be 3 players that can help immediately.

Posted by: biff | Jun 23, 2012 6:58:27 PM

Rick, Do you think we could then package #31 and #24 and move back up. If so how far? I would love to get back in the top 15.

Posted by: PatB | Jun 23, 2012 6:59:14 PM

Whoever they pick for with 2nd pick or the third pick will go on to become a star. Everybody including you will then blame the pick on mj as usual

Posted by: crymeariver | Jun 23, 2012 7:24:31 PM

We should try to get at least one of those seconds OR both if possible. I say take Robinson with 4. Jeff Taylor or Royce White at 24. Festus(31) and Tyshawn Taylor (CLE pick)...of course I'd be happy with Will Barton, Kevin Jones, Kim English or John Jenkins in the second rd. I'm all for offering up RWill and Hendo if we can move back up to 15-20 (realistic range)

Posted by: focus | Jun 23, 2012 9:28:23 PM

Not ready to give up on Gerald Henderson just yet, he has shown growth every season and he is arguably the best player on our roster. Maybe with the right coaching and a better scorer around him he can excel.

I am, however, all for any deal that can get Tyrus Thomas off our roster. Crossing my fingers, but doubt any GM in the league is that dumb.

Posted by: Ocracoma | Jun 23, 2012 9:50:56 PM

This is a logical move for both team if Cleveland really wants Beal. The Wiz are sure to take him 3rd. If the Cats get 4 & 24, do not expect any other picks to come along....that's a very fair deal. Then, move 24 & 31 to move up, perhaps with Houston for one of their picks (14 or 16). If Robinson is gone ad we have to pick Barnes I would love to add Moultrie in the middle rounds. If we still get Robinson look for a SF there (maybe Terrence Jones or Moe Harkless).

Posted by: Bassman | Jun 23, 2012 10:17:15 PM

This trade makes absolutely no sense. As a Cavs fan, I don't see any chance of this happening. Cleveland, like Charlotte, needs lots of help. Since all the players after Davis are tier 2, why in the world would they give up a 2nd first round pick to move up 2 spots(or a 2nd rounder also as suggested by a poster. Come on man!)? They may like Beal, but one of the other guys, MKG, Drummond, Barnes, Robinson, are going to be there. Grant should be FIRED if he makes that trade.

Posted by: JaxCav | Jun 23, 2012 11:30:40 PM

biff, if ANY player picked 31 or higher can't help this team immediately, he was a real bad pick.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 23, 2012 11:35:59 PM

Rick
Nice story on cho. But calling rod higgins cho's boss kills any hope I have for this franchise. I know he is a good source for you, but the guy is simply horrible. He puts his son on the team just because he has the power to .Also the reason why you no longer hear about mj changing his mind on trades is because we have a competent gm. Unlike higgins,cho knows the financial consequences of trades.

lastly, I have yet to hear higgins take responsibity for last season while everyone is blaming mj. Atleast cho took blame. All higgins seems to do is remind people he didn't draft Adam morrison.

Posted by: crymeariver | Jun 24, 2012 1:18:55 AM

Henderson for a 15thpick in this draft would be idiotic. He's the best player on the team w two more yrs of development. He's a top 5 defender who scored 20 or better 20% of the time averaging 16 a night w a midrange shot and dribble drive. On a team with a passing point guard he averages 20.

Posted by: Ironman | Jun 24, 2012 8:32:43 AM

I'm a life-long Tarheel, but I really hope they don't take Harrison Barnes. Good guy, good shooter, probably won't ever be an NBA difference maker.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 24, 2012 8:47:31 AM

Why would the Cats take Robinson when we have Bismack? I don't understand anyone's logic with the Bobcats selecting Robinson. Bismack is 6'9 and Robinson is 6'9. We are not selecting Robinson unless we project Bismack at Center or Robinson at SF. The pick will be Barnes! Then we may get a center at the 24th pick if we trade with the Cavs.

Posted by: Gmoney | Jun 24, 2012 3:22:22 PM

barnes for 4th pick, fab melo for 24th pick..that is a start..or beal and melo combo as well

Posted by: pantherlove | Jun 24, 2012 8:22:53 PM

draft drummond!

Posted by: sectime | Jun 24, 2012 10:54:22 PM

The team that drafts John Henson is going to get a steal.

Posted by: jmurr | Jun 25, 2012 12:36:44 AM

We should draft Drummond. He is the only one who could be a superstar! He looks a lot like a mix of Dwight Howard/Amer'e Stoudemire. Andre Drummond is the only one we should get from this draft.

Posted by: CharlotteFan | Jun 25, 2012 6:37:24 AM

Watching Drummond play is like waiting for syrup to boil.....

Posted by: amosby | Jun 25, 2012 9:45:27 AM

jaxcav,

cleveland has a ton of wholes to fill but the hardest holes to fill out are your star players and they have 2. the worst thing possible to happen to cleveland in this draft is to be picking 4th with beal AND barnes off the board. you don't want to have irving, thompson and robinson and have alonzo gee and omri casspi as your best options on the perimeter. both teams have the cap room to engage another team to add draft picks so replacing that 24th pick isn't that hard for cleveland. Miami def. doesn't need their pick and would probably love to move it for a future pick. Same for one of boston's picks, indiana, san antonio would probably entertain the idea since they have a few guys coming over from europe this offseason. thing about the 4th pick is......for us there is a ton of value in moving back because I think between barnes and robinson we are back and forth and would prefer someone else to make the decision for us and get a pick in exchange for the decision. For cleveland though.....that's a huge gamble. You would have to hope you land a stud at 24 to make up for missing out on barnes and beal at 4.

charlottefan your nuts. there will be several stars in this draft. atleast 3 out of beal/robinson/barnes/gilchrist/drummond/henson will be. I like drummond if we trade back with portland and take him 6th but I wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on a guy who did less in college than dwight and amare did as 18 year old rookies. 29.5% from free throws is ALARMING to say the least. people will stop calling it "hack-a-shaq" if he doesn't fix that immediately. he makes bismack look like mark price.

gmoney,

I think it's more robinson vs. mullens and realistically we have no depth behind mullens and biyombo, you could have the 2 of them and robinson playing 36 mpg in a 3 man rotation in the post. I prefer barnes, but if we're picking 4th and getting the 24th and robinson is who's left at 4....he's the right pick. at 2, i'm not so sure. if we take robinson we have a gaping hole at the 3 and quincy miller should be an absolute target of any deal we can possibly get another pick with. There will be a good player available at 31 but I don't think miller will be.

Posted by: charlottean | Jun 25, 2012 9:47:22 AM

I'm another who doesn't understand what we will do if we take Robinson. I also don't understand the MKG lovefest. Don't we already have a MKG in Hendo? Love the trade idea if they can get Cleveland to swap, but don't see it happening. Beal or Barnes should be the pick as much as I hate to say if for the ABCers. Both would add immediate scoring, which is greatly needed and Barnes would certainly add perimeter shooting. Anyway we go though, won't make Bobcats fans happy. I don't really know what would...

Posted by: MW | Jun 25, 2012 9:50:52 AM

i agree that while i like thomas robinson, biyombo isn't a center and is our PF of the future. while i hope the team can make that deal with the cavs, if i'm the cavs i don't do it. work out barnes and gilchrist and then take the player rich cho believes is the best.

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 25, 2012 9:54:19 AM

Only way a trade would make sense is if the Cavs take a salary dump. If we can get rid of Tyrus Thomas or Diop then I'm all for it. Preferably Tyrus Thomas.

Posted by: DS | Jun 25, 2012 10:20:06 AM

People seem to forget that we lost Diaw and Tyrus Thomas was in la la land last season. If a tough PF like T-Rob is available when we pick we should take him.

Posted by: apauldds | Jun 25, 2012 10:31:32 AM

First of all, I'm a huge uconn fan (watched every game this past season) but idc where all the love for drummond is coming from. Drummond is only 6'9 and didn't do anything at uconn besides being associated with the scandal that occurred. Dude doesn't have an ounce of immediate offense capability besides oops and putback dunks. Go look at the regular season game films. Cats don't draft guy!!!

Posted by: ucanwithuconn | Jun 25, 2012 10:31:40 AM

Easy trade to make... I would throw in DJ White too and get the 4, 24 and 33 picks and then I would try to move DJ Augustine (sign and trade) and #24 to Portland for #11.

-4 Robinson - he should project to being a SF in the NBA simular to LeBron James (Yes I said that...)

-11 Kendall Marshall - and I am a State fan - but this guy is going to be great in the NBA

-31 Miles Plumlee - he is going to be better in the NBA than he was at Duke. Has legit hops and size and doesn't mind doing the dirty work of setting screens and blocking out.

-33 Will Barton or John Jenkins or Darius Miller. All these guys are going to be wing shooters and Jenkins has the best shot of the bunch but Barton has the most potential (but i think he will be gone).

Lineup:
1 Walker -- Marshall -- Higgins
2 Henderson -- Jenkins or Miller -- Carrol
3 Robinson -- Maggette -- Brown -- Williams
4 Mullens -- Thomas
5 Biyombo -- Plumlee -- Diop

Note: Robinson, Plumlee and Biyombo can also play PF and Mullens can also play center so those guys would move around based on fouls and matchups.

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 10:57:04 AM

check out the size of the players ...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 10:58:10 AM

I honestly in my heart believe that Robinson is the physical specimen. I mean u cant even compare him to Biyombo or any other forward on this team. He will get u a double double every night. Dude is a beast, and as far Barnes yes he can shoot but lacks creating his own shot, getting to the basket, and dribbling both hands. This will be the biggest stage nba. Whatever we do we need to use that pick wisely. Don't see the difference between 2 and 31. Beal can shoot but at what expense is he the top 5 pick for the bobcats. Cleveland may grab him......but can't wait to see how this plays out.

Posted by: tbird | Jun 25, 2012 11:11:18 AM

Beal has great potential but if we drafted him at #2 we would have to trade Henderson so we need to trade down.

MKG is small - and projects to a SG in the NBA. We can't draft him because of that since he isn't an upgrade on Henderson and we can't draft a backup at #4.

So that leaves either Barnes or Robinson depending on what the Wizards do at #3. Either one will become our starting SF in 2013.

I would do everything i could to move up to get Marshall like I said but my backup plan would be to grab a guy like Will Barton or Troy Wroten at #24 and then Miles Plumlee at #31.

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 11:15:04 AM

If we do this trade take Drummond with the fourth pick! We need his size and speed to help Bismack.

Posted by: Bobcats | Jun 25, 2012 11:15:24 AM

Sorry guys but Drummond is going to be a short (only 6'9.75") version of Diop...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 11:27:14 AM

Why would we have to trade Henderson if we pick up Beal? We need depth and scoring. Henderson would not be a starter on any other team so he should be ok with a 6th man role.

Posted by: DS | Jun 25, 2012 11:48:48 AM

I'm sooo glad Cho will be making this decision and nobody on this blog.

Posted by: JW | Jun 25, 2012 11:53:38 AM

If I am Charlotte I am all over this. Though I am not a huge fan of Barnes, a great scenario would be Barnes at 4 and Draymond Greene at 24.
They could also go with MKG or Robinson at 4 and get Teague at 24. Love the options with this scenario

Posted by: Dave | Jun 25, 2012 11:56:06 AM

I guess we could move Henderson to 6th man role - I just think we should keep him as a starter and draft a guy like John Jenkins to provide shooting off the bench. Another player I really like is Kevin Jones. Not as a first rounder - but if we could somehow get the #24 and #34 out of Cleveland for #2 and DJ White I would seriously consider after Jones at #34...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 12:01:18 PM

JW - save this blog and see how it compares to what these rookies do next year... I rarely miss on my projections on prospects. The Cats have not made any draft picks I would have made except Biyombo - I like him. Henderson was about the best available so they had to take him (same with Okafor) so three picks they have made I agreed with... Walker - I was very much on the fence on him. I had him as a mid first rounder because he is too small to play SG. Hopefully he is able to become a good PG and proves me wrong. I wanted Leonard or Faried at #9 - and if we could pull those blogs from last year you notice me pushing them...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 25, 2012 12:11:43 PM

Another move I would support would be trading #2 and DJ White to Portland for picks #6, #11 and #40.

We should be able to get MKG or Drummand at #6 and either Terrance Jones or Marshall at #11. At #31 I would grab Plumlee and then at #40 we should be able to get Kevin Jones.

So you add four players to the rotation - I don't like Drummand at #4 but he is a good gamble at #6. Terrance Jones is projecting as a combo forward so we could have him start at SF but drafting Marshall would be very tempting if we could trade DJ. Kevin Jones is simular to Terrance Jones - both have double double nightly potential as starters. Plumlee would be a fine role player af PF or C.

Posted by: Dom | Jun 25, 2012 12:45:12 PM

Make the trade and draft Barnes or Robinson at #4 - whichever one the Wizards don't draft! Then get Jonny Flynn as a FA and then sign and trade DJ this summer for a 2013 first rounder! Bobcats are not going to win much next year either and might end up winning the lottery and getting Nerlens Noel (C) from UK! If they don't win the lottery next year they can go after Gorgui Dieng (C) in the top ten! Either way this is a two year project so whoever they draft they need to be considering what is possible next year too.

Posted by: Dirt | Jun 25, 2012 1:05:02 PM

I actually REALLY like the idea of Plumlee with a later pick if we can get him. He has the size, some hops, and the rugged attitude this team needs. It doesn't take a superstar at the center position. All we need is size and serviceability. Plumlee gives that and more. It would be FANTASTIC to find a way to get Kendall Marshall. I think he's going to be pretty solid as a pro.
I'm all for "growing our own" rather than taking someone else's "superstar". They can't be all that super if their current team is willing to part with them.

Posted by: MrMixx | Jun 25, 2012 1:39:33 PM

I have been waiting for some information about how Plumlee looked on Friday... I think the Cats have told the Observer folks to keep quiet on it so he will slip to #31...

Posted by: Dirt | Jun 25, 2012 2:29:31 PM

If the Cats plan to draft either: MKG, T. Robinson or H. Barnes (which seems to be the case), they definetly need to do this trade (as long as the Cav's are for real). Two of those three will definetly be avaliable, and Robinson will 100% be one of them. Maybe all three will be avaliable.

As for taking Thomas Robinson, the guy is a best and he will be a phenomenal PF in this league. I know we have Biyombo, but this team needs assets right now. Remember when the Thunder drafted Ibaka, and they already had Jeff Green? Green later became Kendrick perkins and that's the Western conference championship Center.

If both Biyombo and Robinson develop to be All-Stars, then that's a GREAT problem to have, any team will give up key pieces to get one of those two guys. For the first time in years the Bobcats will actually have leverage.

Posted by: RobC | Jun 25, 2012 3:21:18 PM

A combo forward is a guy who can post up, shoot from the outside, pass and run the floor (LeBron James is a classic combo forward). The most succesful NBA teams normally have a combo guard and/or a combo forward and a bunch of good role players. Jordan/Pippen; Wade/James; Magic/Worthy; Westbrook/Durant; Ainge/Johnson/Bird. The other succesful duo is a combo guard and a dominant center like Bryant/Shaq; Drexler/Hakeem; Parker/Duncan. Normally a third player emerges who is either an outside shooter or a foward. When is the last time a team led by a point guard has won a title?

This is the deepest year at combo forward I have seen in a long time with three classic combo forwards who all have all-star potential:

Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson
Terrance Jones

There are also some other guys who have potential to be combo forwards with some development:

Harrison Barnes is currently more suited as a small forward and most likely won't mix it up in the paint much in the NBA. His rebounding is a little weak and he needs to work on his ball control and passing - but he has potential.

Draymon Green is a better inside player than Barnes but is even shorter. I really like his game though - soild player who will be very good in the NBA.

John Henson has the size and shooting ability to be a combo forward but he needs to work on his ball handling and add some strenth in order to post up.

Royce White and Kevin Jones are sleeper combo forwards who have the skills but need to get thinner to be able to run the floor as needed.

The Bobcats have never had a true combo forward (Diaw was close but too lazy) and now they can get one or perhaps even two.

There are two strong combo guards in this draft with Beal and MKG. Of the other guards in the draft Will Barton, Troy Wroten and perhaps John Jenkins could become true combo guards.

So - for the Cats I would focus my draft picks on Combo Forwards, a backup Combo guard for Henderson and role players to set screens and play defense.

Posted by: Dirt | Jun 25, 2012 4:33:45 PM

BTW - three other players have great potential as combo guards I didn't list since they are not good enough to go top five and we won't get a shot at them unless we trade up... Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb, Austin Rivers

Posted by: Dirt | Jun 25, 2012 4:59:21 PM

IF WE DONT TRADE DOWN WITH CLEVELAND I'D SAY WE TAKE BRADLEY BEAL HE IS CLEARLY THE 2ND PICK, THEN WE HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION ON GERALD HENDERSON TRADE OR KEEP, BUT I THINK WE WOULD KEEP HIM AND HAVE HIM PLAY SF, WHICH IS GREAT FOR OFFENSE BUT TERRIBLE FOR DEFENSE. BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE BEAL AT 2. BUT IF CLEVLAND DEALS YOU 4TH AND 24TH PICKS YOU TAKE IT, THIS IS IDEAL BECAUSE THAN THE BOBCATS CAN DRAFT THOMAS OR BARNES OR MKG.BUT I FEEL IF WASHINGTON CANT GET BEAL THEY WOULD TAKE HARRISON BRANES AND THEN TRADE TERVOR AZRIA OR ASK HIM TO BE A SIX MAN OFF THE BENCH, BUT FOR WASHINGTON AND CLEVELAND, BOBCATS TAKING BEAL WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE

Posted by: RAHSHON GAMBLE | Jun 25, 2012 5:38:14 PM

If we could find a way to trade back into the top 15 (DJ and DJ to Houston for #14????) then I would draft Beal #2, Terrance Jones #14 and Miles Plumlee at #31.

I would start two combo guards

1 Beal Walker
2 Henderson Carroll/Willaims
3 Terrance Jones Maggette/Brown
4 Mullens Thomas/FA???
5 Biyombo Plumlee/FA???

I don't know if that is possible and that is why i have been leaning toward the trade with the Cavs - but I think a backcourt with Beal and Henderson matched up with a combo forward like Terrance Jones would be a playoff team in two years.

Posted by: Dirt | Jun 25, 2012 6:20:34 PM

If this trade goes down and Thomas Robinson is still there at 4 the draft for us is a block buster If we have to settle for Barnes it's still a success. It's nice to have a team at draft time that's so bad that it needs players at every position. GO CATS!!

Posted by: nucat | Jun 25, 2012 7:35:45 PM

Hopefully the Bobcats can get #4, #24 and #33 for the #2 and DJ White. I like White a lot but he is going to be lost in the shuffle again here and the Cavs can use another PF so this makes the trade easier for them to do. Then we draft 4 Robinson, 24 Melo, 31 Jenkins and 34 Plumlee or James. Then take a shot at Jonny Flynn as a FA PG to back up Walker and sign and trade DJ Augustine for a mid first rounder in 2013 (Portland maybe?). If we could trade up and get Terrance Jones - then maybe we take Beal at #2. I just wish I was at the workouts so i had a better idea of Robinson's shooting range...

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 26, 2012 7:59:42 AM

We want Robinson period!! If we can 24th pick and take chance going to #4 and still make that happen perfect. And could see that with Wizards but big maybe.
And for those who didn't watch college hoops this yeat 27 double doubles and looked like stud all thru tourney even against AD. So why would you not have him and BB down low. Give me Robinson.

Posted by: Season Ticket holder for now | Jun 26, 2012 11:51:16 AM

One thing is very clear to me based on these blogs, Charlotte has a major crack problem (except for season ticket holder for now).

Posted by: TrueBBallFan | Jun 26, 2012 12:52:24 PM

Inside information suggests Cleveland is backing off the trade...

So the Cats have to either deal down with Portland for #6, #11 and #40 or stay at #2 and take Thomas Robinson and John Jenkins or Draymond Green at #31.

If they deal down they should be able to take MKG or Dion Waiters at #6. Then I would try to trade #11 and DJ White to Boston for picks #21 and #22 (they want Rivers or Ross to replace Allen so they might do it). At 21/22 I would take two of these four guys in order: Terrance Jones, Arnett Moultrie, Festus Ezeli and Fab Melo.

Then get John Jenkins or Draymond Green at #31 and Kevin Jones or Miles Plumlee at #40.

Posted by: TheTopScout | Jun 26, 2012 2:58:34 PM

Would Humphries play C or Bismack? Amnesty Tyrus and sign Humphries to a similar contract and u improve....Marshon Brooks being added would be great too....get rid of G Henderson at the same time and u have upgraded with little change in cost....

Posted by: David | Jul 10, 2012 12:57:45 PM