« Knee bruise limits Charlotte Bobcats forward Byron Mullens in practice | Main | Five thoughts on the Charlotte Bobcats »

October 23, 2012

A nice moment between Gerald Henderson and Mike Krzyzewski in Raleigh

I saw something pretty neat in the Charlotte Bobcats’ post-game locker room Tuesday: Gerald Henderson’s college coach, not just dropping by to be sociable, but offering some quick guidance.

Henderson shot 4-of-15 against the Miami Heat and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski watched most of the game from the stands at Raleigh’s PNC Arena. Obviously that’s far below how Henderson wants to perform offensively.

Krzyzewski stopped by after Henderson had showered. After some pleasantries, Krzyzewski and Henderson walked over to a grease board in the corner of the locker room with veteran shooting guard Ben Gordon. The three got their heads together and Krzyzewski discretely diagramed a few things he saw.

I wasn’t looking to eavesdrop, but I was interviewing point guard Ramon Sessions nearby. I couldn’t help but notice how engaged Krzyzewski still was in helping Henderson work through a problem. Hendo doesn’t wear a Duke uniform anymore, but that doesn’t mean Krzyzewski doesn’t still feel like his coach. Krzyzewski wasn’t butting in; he was offering an extra set of eyes.

I’m sure North Carolina’s Roy Williams or N.C. State’s Mark Gottfried would do the same for one of his former players. I’m not nominating Krzyzewski for sainthood. I’m saying it’s cool that Krzyzewski is still vested in Henderson’s success, and Henderson is still vested in Krzyzewski’s direction.

When coaches say it’s all about relationships, I feel like I’m being spun. Watching this scene felt far more real, because it sure wasn’t for my benefit.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM | Permalink

Comments

I've never met Williams or Gottfried, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't do something similar, especially Williams. My impression of Williams is that he would do something similar if the circumstances warrant. I'm no Tar Heel fan (or a fan of any ACC team for that matter), but I do sense these coaches care about the players that come through their programs. I think all 3 of these programs are in good hands.

Posted by: J | Oct 24, 2012 8:02:31 AM

Aw, come on. Let's nominate him for sainthood.

Posted by: SH | Oct 24, 2012 8:44:18 AM

yeah all those ex-tarheels hang out and play ball every summer at the hill but don't get any advice from willams and the coaching staff.

good grief.

Posted by: Phil Ashley | Oct 24, 2012 9:22:34 AM

Cool anectdote. Coach K loves his players. It was also cool that Ben Gordon was over there as well.

Posted by: G | Oct 24, 2012 10:23:45 AM

I haven't met the State coach, but Roy Williams really is a sweet old man. I am sure that he would do the same. I am just not sure that many of his former players are humble enough to take the advice.

Posted by: Geraldmutumbo | Oct 24, 2012 11:55:47 AM

it's going to be hard when coach K is diagramming up those mid range jumpers that hendo was draining all year last year and dunlap is telling him to step out behind the arc.

I have been thoroughly on board with a lot of what dunlap is bringing to the table. but the way he's got hendo and bismack playing thus far is troubling.

oh and to end the unc vs. duke debate......carolina players aren't going 4 for 15 in preseason games on the regular so it's a moot point.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 25, 2012 3:37:33 PM

Coach K was at the right place at the right time to guide his former player - Henderson. We all need someone who will correct us when necessary.

Posted by: Leigh | Oct 25, 2012 11:18:40 PM

As a UNC and Bobcat's fan, I appreciate the coach and man coach K is. I can't stand the guy or Duke, but this shows something bigger than that. Thanks Coach K.

Posted by: TarHeelKid | Oct 26, 2012 2:11:05 AM