« Five thoughts on the Charlotte Bobcats | Main | Jordan addresses players at practice »

October 26, 2012

Charlotte Bobcats exercise 2 options, plus other preseason notes

A couple of quick thought on the Bobcats, entering their last preseason exhibition tonight in Dallas:

--The team announced late-afternoon that it picked up the third-season options in rookie-scale contracts for Bismack Biyombo ($3.2 million) and Kemba Walker ($2.7 million).

This would only have been news had they not chosen to do so. The Bobcats used lottery picks to select Biyombo and Walker and both started by the end of last season. Walker has had back-to-back strong games this week. Biyombo has been in-and-out of the starting lineup this preseason, as coach Mike Dunlap figures out different big-man combination.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Biyombo plays less this season than last, yet develops faster. Working with Brendan Haywood – someone who can teach him nuances about center play in the NBA – should greatly benefit Biyombo, who arrived in the NBA with minimal basketball background.

--Going into tonight’s final exhibition, 10 Bobcats have started at least one game this preseason. Dunlap said before training camp he’d be mixing-and-matching the lineups to experiment with various rotations.

He’s learned a lot about his players this way, but Dunlap acknowledged Thursday that some veterans haven’t been able to establish a rhythm yet.

“That’s on me,’’ Dunlap said. “Some of them feel like pinch hitters, where they only get five pitches (per game) to hit the ball.’’

--The only player who has started every game for which he was available is power forward Byron Mullens. That reflects on Mullens having the best preseason on this team. Walker has started five of six, and got into a groove in games against the Miami Heat and Milwaukee Bucks this week.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 26, 2012 at 06:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

walker/henderson/mkg/mullens/biyombo

gotta get that group used to playing together. haywood will surely get plenty of minutes as biyombo gets in early foul trouble. he needs to learn to be the starter and finisher both.

let the veterans off the bench keep things moving or fix disasters but the young guys HAVE to play together to develop chemistry.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 26, 2012 6:39:39 PM

I know its preseason.... 30 of 99,
32 percent seems like an achievable goal nightly(sarcasm). I swear to Goodness, I would think we are shooting a FOOTBALL on our offensive end(for how many seasons)!

JUST!!!!....... Fair enough, ok! Let's see what happens.
K! got it out of my system! Just had to say it!
Ready I think.
Look I know this is going to be tough!
Forgive me.

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 26, 2012 11:53:07 PM

The cats got a bunch of athletic raw payers who can't shoot to save their lives. They need to let a couple of players go( I'm looking at you higgins) and get some player that can score. I have a feeling though that the FO is incapable of finding such players. I can't remember the name of the stiff they picked up last year. He almost finished the season with 0% shooting. This is who the cats worked out and sighned for the remaining of last season.

Also so far I am not impress with dunlap at all. His substitution pattern is very suspect. I under trying different line ups but aren't you suppose to find some chemistry as the pre season progresses?

Posted by: crymeariver | Oct 27, 2012 1:23:05 AM

That stiff that they brought into shoot and he couldn't was Jamario Moon, the team will be bad again but just having a streak shooter like Gordon will at least make them better than last year.

Posted by: charlottesports | Oct 27, 2012 8:10:15 AM

A lowpost game will greatly increase their shooting %. They are purely a perimeter team right now. No one should be surprised. There wil be many nights like this until they address this need.

Posted by: Ball expert | Oct 27, 2012 8:45:17 AM

^^ K!
Anyway I understand it is preseason please forgive me!
Maybe it is just guys are ready for a break before the season starts.... Fair enough.
Just saying.. Somewhere around 2 and half minutes in the first quarter 2 0f 22= 9.1%FGM. Yes went on a run at the end of the quarter Great, just dont understand.

could care less about stat.s! SMH

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 27, 2012 9:05:35 AM

yea my math is off, was watching the box score and listening to the game together.

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 27, 2012 9:29:05 AM

i just struggle to understand the point guard that is 2 for 11 at one point and keeps chucking away. it just doesn't add up.

it's like damn mullens has a horrible game and he's shooting 1 for every 3 but makes up for it with 19 boards.....walker's over here dreaming of 1 for every 3. right when it looked like he was starting to turn the corner a bit, he helps me regain my doubts.

meanwhile, augustin had 13 assists over 1 turnover. his assists numbers here were deflated severely by guys inability to finish and complete lack of respect from officials. i would easily pencil him in for 17 and 8 this year if it weren't for george hill and his 40 million dollar contract.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 27, 2012 10:11:03 AM

Dunlap's 'pinch hitter' pre-season philosophy will be judged starting next Thursday. This team HAS to get to the line, and often, to score.

Posted by: eduardo | Oct 27, 2012 10:36:23 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^AMEN!!!!!
"Holy Jackpot"... As my kids say. Mullens WOW!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 27, 2012 10:36:43 AM

^^^^ AMEN(Charlottean)!!!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 27, 2012 10:38:08 AM

I was thinking the poor man's dirk comparison basically equated to a ryan anderson type break out year this year for him......I am completely thinking at this point that he could go way more in the direction of dirk if given the proper guidance.

they should immediately be in talks with Holger Geschwindner to join the staff.

the thing about mullens that will be frustrating is that he's shown on multiple occasions now that he can get his kevin love on a bit. you want to see it every night. sometimes it's matchups that dictate otherwise but I think this is way more him than his opposition.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 27, 2012 12:53:05 PM

This bobcat team has zero finishers. Not exactly a prime place to be a point gaurd. I am sure DJ will have solid numbers surrounded by George, Granger, Hibbert, West, etc. all who would start on the Bobcats. To denigrate Kemba ability to be a point guard based on what he has on this team shows a serious lack of perspective, if you are DJ fan that is fine. He was a nice player here, hopefully being on playoff team will unlock his full potential. But Kemba has no choice but to "chuck" right now. If there is a low post threat on this team, I would love to know who it is. Doesn't make it very you to guard the perimeter players when you don't have to worry about anyone in the paint.

Posted by: Ball expert | Oct 27, 2012 5:05:23 PM

^^^^^* absolutely spot on. I was a fan of DJ and think he will do well in Indiana. But we saw his numbers with the Bobcats last year. Tough to evaluate a point gaurd on a team this bad.

Posted by: Skip | Oct 28, 2012 2:44:04 PM

Nothing against MKG because I believe he will be a great talent. I just didn't understand drafting him when we had Henderson and Walker who don't shoot well from the outside either. Not too mention, there is no one that scores well in the post either. To me, the roster is completely one dimensional and it will be tough to win games even when they play to potential. There needs to be some changes made at the trade deadline.

Posted by: buckshot jenkins | Oct 29, 2012 9:01:11 AM

I have some thoughts:

I was reading your column on Stern, how he was the visionary that saw Charlotte as a major-league market, and still thought so as the Hornets were leaving (BTW, when in his life has Ray Wooldridge NOT been red-faced?). He must not think much of us now, allowing us to be given a schedule that leaves us almost no shot of winning until after we set the record for most consecutive losses - if we don't beat Phoenix in game 3, we're not going to win until at least game 10 against Toronto.

I saw your tweets about how foolish the Rockets were for trading for James Harden, because he's not a max guy, and chiding Bobcats fans for wanting us to get him. Whether he's a max guy or not, he's better than every player we have, unless MK-G develops like we hope. When you just fielded the worst team in league history, you need all the good players you can get.

Am I the only one who has the feeling that DJ is going to get revenge on us with a triple-double in game 1?

Posted by: J | Oct 29, 2012 12:06:43 PM

triple double would be steep but a double double is probable.

i know I compare kemba and DJ a lot but it's because we picked kemba over DJ and i think it was a clear cut wrong decision. augustin had his fair share of time with limited talent around him including last year. he still didn't play anywhere near to the level of ineptitude that walker displayed not only last year but during the summer league. when DJ was off, he was looking for his teammates. when kemba is off....he keeps shooting. that's ok if you are a proven durant or kobe or jordan.....not okay when you shoot horrible %'s and take horrible shots and completely fail to get teammates in positions to succeed.

I'm holding out hope for the development because after all....i am a charlottean and hope for the teams success with eternal optimism but the decision to let DJ go was a horrible one. whether he wanted to go or not. he was the guy. walker should have been the 6th man and nothing more.

asfor harden, he wasn't worth the price.

rockets gave up not only a max deal for him, but jeremy lamb, courtney lee, jordan hill, kyle lowry AND kevin martin. they did get cole aldrich back but still that's a lot of pieces they moved and came away with harden being overpaid. i mean he's worth it in the sense they weren't going to get anybody else of that caliber so it's a good move that way he's not durant. you would absolutely give that up for a durant.

I would argue that the difference between harden and henderson is development. we failed to develop where okc didn't. and mullens can absolutely step up to harden level this year. same draft class for all 3 of those guys. henderson a year or 2 older I believe.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 29, 2012 1:33:25 PM

Best move we have done in past 3 seasons I have seen is pick up Mullens.
Every other move has either yet to play out or was just bad.
Kemba still a work in progress but I think he has already shown he could be way better than DJ. We shall see but neither is a superstar PG for sure.
Missing the Davis draft #1 and not trading for picks 4 and 24 or something else was stupid.

Posted by: Season Ticket holder for now | Oct 29, 2012 3:11:33 PM