« Charlotte Bobcats trade Matt Carroll for frontcourt help in Hakim Warrick | Main | Video: Charlotte Bobcats slam winless Washington Wizards »

November 13, 2012

A post-script on Bobcats going 3-3 in this early season

Some post-game thoughts on the 3-3 Charlotte Bobcats’ 92-76 victory over the Washington Wizards.

--Rookie Jeff Taylor isn’t registering much on the box score as a fill-in starter, but coach Mike Dunlap likes what he’s seeing in terms of development. Dunlap says Taylor will eventually be “a lock-down defender, a Bruce Bowen-type, who can make a 3 and be a stopper defensively.’’

--I wrote about Ramon Sessions’ closer persona in Tuesday’s Observer. Here was Dunlap’s take post-game on how Sessions’ calm might rub off positively on Kemba Walker:  “When he goes in the huddles, he uses a low voice. He has a quarterback’s presence.’’

--Rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist had another solid game – 15 points off 6-of-11 shooting and eight rebounds. However he’s still a rookie – five fouls and two turnovers. A work-in-progress.

--After that big game in New Orleans, Bismack Biyombo has seemingly regressed in the last
two. He committed two fouls in his first two minutes Tuesday. In 13 minutes he had one rebound, no blocks and no points.

--Tyrus Thomas showed some life with 10 points, six rebounds, two blocks and taking a
baseline charge.

--The idea of a Bobcats opponent shooting 30 percent for a game would have been
preposterous last season.

Posted by Observer Sports on November 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

I hate to say it but, do we even miss Gerald Henderson? I just can't see giving him a big contract in the offseason. I think Jeff Taylor with a full season under his belt can replace Gerald at 1/10th or 1/20th the price.

I like Hendo but, no way we can pay him more than $6M per. this offseason

Posted by: Charlotte Hornets #1 | Nov 14, 2012 8:36:26 AM

Charlotte Hornets #1:

I understand were your coming from with your comments. But I think you are over reacting. Last season the Miami Heat won 3 in a row with some "unknown" rookie starting in place of LBJ. Reggie Miller as a commentator was JOKING and making fun about how the Heat now should trade LBJ because they are playing good without him.

Gerald Henderson is missed more than a lot of fans think or realize. He is an extremely young, athletic, solid defender at one of the more crucial positions in the NBA and he can give 15ppg every night. He will sign a deal in the same range of Lou Williams, Thabo Sefolosha, JJ Reddick, etc. Something in the neiborghood of $20-25M and 4 Years (which is similar to your number). But the truth is the Bobcats need Gerald Henderson more than any other team in the NBA.

Posted by: RobC | Nov 14, 2012 9:17:25 AM

My thoughts on Henderson: with the amount of money the 'Cats have to spend we should atleast entertain the idea of bringing in someone more dynamic offensively. Moving forward w MKG we are going to need a playmaker at SG and I don't think Hendo's got the skills to carry this team offensively.

Posted by: nick | Nov 14, 2012 9:44:50 AM

At some point, we all need to let this Charlotte Hornets thing go...it would be realistic if Shinn had just moved the team and left the Hornets name like Art Modell did in Cleveland after moving his team to Baltimore, but that is not the case here.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 14, 2012 10:14:05 AM

I was worried when I didn't see Gordon on the bench but it turns out it didn't matter. Hopefully our energy keeps us in games until we get Hendo back. I like Taylor and I think he has great potential, but he's not an NBA starter yet.

Posted by: apauldds | Nov 14, 2012 10:27:16 AM

Watched the game as usual and a few thoughts:
1- Fans coming out a little more and definetly more into it. You can actually feel energy now in the team and the fans. If we win tonight and battle well vs Memphis it could move mountains. Although I still want us to finish bottom 5 and get a star next year in the draft.
2- MKG looked fantastic again!! His contribution and hustle is great. Look at his per 48 folks. It's crazy where he is ranked when you look at 3-4 categories. he may never be LBJ but he is only 19 and I bet in 5 years we will be dying to keep him forever.
3- Biz has just been lost this season. Huge letdown so far.
4- Kemba is really developing and learning. Him and sessions are so beneficial to each other. We need to lock him down at some point. he could be a top 10 league PG at some point. Build a good team around him and he has 7-10 assists a night as they are dropping tons of good passes or not converting the shot.
5 - Mullens. he is just launching 3's!! If he could stay down low and post up and get a 10-15 footer shot going great.
6- Haywood was a real steal!!! I mean solid and he is motivated out there.

Forget the name change (although everyone would love it). If this team get's Noels or Zeller (by the way Noels looked awesome last night even with losing) down low and a trade or two big score.

Oh Hendo. Guys stop selling him out. He is and can be really good. Yes good 6th man on championship team but if we can sign him for $8mm or under well worth it. Oh Diop makes that as a reminder.

Posted by: Season Ticket holder for now | Nov 14, 2012 10:49:50 AM

Please shut up about a name change. It is an insult to all the fans who have supported the team for the last 8 years!

Posted by: Brad | Nov 14, 2012 12:26:21 PM

The lack of talent is still there, but deam these guys give everything they got night in night out.
You must respect the hard work and the willingness to win! I will go to a Cats game over Panthers game just for them playing like man

Posted by: Hai | Nov 14, 2012 12:40:08 PM

@Apauldds:

Dude, I think you nailed it on the head. Hendo is our best, young all-around player, followed by Kemba, MKG, Mullens & Sessions.

Haywood needs to stay healthy and he definitely looks hungry to contribute out there.

Thomas deserves a little love and last night when he cam from behind to get that hustle block, the place (1/2 full) went nuts! That's all we've asked for is maximum effort.

I'll be honest with you: I don't want them to settle for a Top 5 pick by sucking all season. I think this team is currently playing as a Top 20, maybe Top 15-18. Being 8-10 seed for this young team has the potential of doing more for the franchise over the long term than another Top 5 pick possibly could. I mean, let's face it, we have a pretty poor drafting and developing talent record since the new franchise came to town.

I think MJ would listen to Cho and spend the $ on a top FA. And, who is to say that we couldn't find a steal or two in the draft anyways? Jeff Taylor might very well end up being a good example of that, but only time will tell.

3-3 seems pretty sweet after last year's abysmal season.

Posted by: Murdock | Nov 14, 2012 1:15:18 PM

Sorry, message meant for Season Ticket...

Posted by: Murdock | Nov 14, 2012 1:17:58 PM

Hendo is garbage. Overpaid and usless on this team. He can be replaced for 1/5 the cost. His stats speak for itslef.

The NBA already ahs a team called the Hornets. As MJ and Stern has been saying all along, it would take at least two years AFTER N.O. lets go of the name to implement it. Soooo, that means 2014-2015, at the earliest. By then the Cats will be firmly ingraned into the loacl fabric. No way we change the name back to that horror show. I was there in '88, and had seats right up till the last playoff game. By the end there were not 5,000 fans in the stands, and that ws for the playoffs. Leave that horrible memory in the past! GO CATS!!!!

Posted by: MJisTheMan!! | Nov 14, 2012 1:45:59 PM

can be replaced for 1/5 of the cost? i think the minimum is more than 1/5 of his salary. dude is making 3.1 this year. 4.3 is the qualifying offer. how is he NOT worth that? even just to stash on the bench as insurance incase someone got hurt? I think he's absolutely worth extending at the right price, but I am starting to shift towards the jeff taylor needs more playing time bandwagon.

I think henderson fits this team greatly though. more so than gordon. put henderson in gordon's role and leave everything else in tact? I think that's a solid recipe. Give him 5 a year for 3 or 4 years and go from there. Mullens is going to command a lot of money because of his size, skill and young age. probably upwards of 8. brace yourself for that.

my money is on houston giving him a big offer if they don't make a move prior to free agency.

we still have 2 more years on kemba and biyombo and taylor, 3 on mkg. but keep them all keep them all. we absolutely have the room to do it. I would even notion tyrus thomas to stay for a minimal deal as payback for all the overpayment he's received. he is fitting in nicely with this group as a role player. reggie williams should stay around a bit too for the right price.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 15, 2012 2:16:29 PM