« Video: Bobcats suffer their worst blowout ever | Main | A postscript on Bobcats-Hawks »

November 28, 2012

Charlotte Bobcats injury update on Biyombo and Henderson

Charlotte Bobcats big man Bismack Biyombo declares himself ready for the matchup with the Atlanta Hawks, after missing the last two games with a contusion of his left lower leg.

“It’s doing pretty good,’’ Biyombo told the Observer before morning shootaround.  “I’m going to play tonight. I’m going to play tonight!’’

Biyombo hurt himself in a fall last Friday in another game against the Hawks. They hoped he’d miss no time, but he was a scratch just before tip-off in Washington Saturday, then sat out Monday’s blowout loss in Oklahoma City.

They clearly need Biyombo’s at-the-rim defense, as a backup to center Brendan Haywood. Gana Diop has struggled to fill in for Biyombo’s absence.

When captain Gerald Henderson will return from a sprained left foot is still an open question. Henderson has missed the Bobcats’ last 11 games. He’s improving, but still not close enough to target a return date.

The encouraging thing is Henderson is now cleared to run and jump. But he still feels some pain and hasn’t yet done some of the reflex things that could place his foot in awkward positions.

“It’s almost there,’’ Henderson said.  “I haven’t done a lot of contact yet; that’s what I’m waiting on now. There’s still a level of soreness in there.

“The big thing now is doing reaction stuff where I can gauge my foot and what it’s doing if something unexpected happens. To do those kind of things without pain.’’

Henderson couldn’t pinpoint how many more games he’ll miss, but he sounded optimistic.

“I don’t know. Some days I’ll go really hard and the next day it will be really sore. There are setbacks,’’ Henderson said. “But those are growing pains. I’m close – the next few games.’’

Posted by Observer Sports on November 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM | Permalink

Comments

This is going to be a very telling game coming off the debacle in OKC. I hope we rise to the occasion.

Posted by: apauldds | Nov 28, 2012 1:48:01 PM

^^^Agreed. Just to keep this competitive would be saying alot. I thought the Hawwks handled the Cats pretty well in Charlotte. Now they are in the ATL after that beat down on Monday. Tough bounce back.

Posted by: Spencer | Nov 28, 2012 1:59:21 PM

A couple games ago I declared Henderson should not rush to get back. After seeing Kemba struggle the last two games (3 for 23) I think he is logging waaay to many minutes so we need another credible #2 to play along with Ramon...no disrespect to Ben Gordon but his defense is non-existent.

Posted by: Get Real! | Nov 28, 2012 2:07:25 PM

if TThomas & Biz had of played monday i think they would have only lost by less than 15! Haywood & Diop got out rebounded every time they went for a ball

Posted by: 336nda704 | Nov 28, 2012 2:24:23 PM

Ben has been "playing" with no emotion. He clearly does not want to be here. I am no Gerald fan, but he at least gives it his all.

Posted by: Tim Coope | Nov 28, 2012 4:41:08 PM

Hope we can rebound from the OKC game. Never thought we can get blown out that bad, after the start we had. I think this game might determine who the Bobcats really are.

Posted by: David | Nov 28, 2012 4:46:02 PM

Gordon is what he is-selfish, me-first and only energized on the court with the ball in his hands. He is a Cancer that should be released sooner rather than later.Maybe Cho is waiting for Gordon's departure after Henderson is cleared to play...Taylor has developed nicely at BOTH ends of the court in his Role as a Starter.Leave him there even after Henderson returns. There are 6 players on this Team who are dead weight-Gordon, the 3 Centers, Higgins and Williams.

Posted by: HootEvers | Nov 28, 2012 4:54:09 PM

good to know biyombo will be back for this game.

i'm just hoping they play well and don't get blown out. they should be wide awake now. a win would go a long way for morale but a close loss will feel a lot better than monday.

fans have to keep their expectations in check. we still haven't beaten a team at full strength. nobody is projecting us in the playoffs still. statistically, we're still near the bottom. long way to go but the early wins felt nice. now it gets more difficult. road games are hard enough as is.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 28, 2012 5:03:26 PM

Take your time, Gerald. Jeff is doing just fine!

Posted by: Michael | Nov 28, 2012 5:13:13 PM

Go Bobcats!

Posted by: Paul B | Nov 28, 2012 6:27:36 PM

WHEN IS THE TRADE DEADLINE? I JUST HAVE A FEELING THAT CHOO HAS A TRADE OR TWO UP HIS SLEEVE. WHAT DO YOU'INS THINK?

Posted by: ttom tom | Nov 28, 2012 6:39:23 PM

I hope that if he does....it involves gordon or diop or picks. I don't think we really need a whole lot of anything except time.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 28, 2012 8:21:59 PM

Solid game tonight. Can't be mad at close losses on the road against veteran teams. Good to see biz back and blocking shots.

Posted by: charlottean | Nov 29, 2012 12:31:19 AM

What a waste of a #7 pick.

Undersized, no offensive skills, don't know how old he is...just a joke.

Posted by: George Hanson | Nov 29, 2012 10:39:11 PM