November 02, 2012
Charlotte Bobcats' Rod Higgins responds to D.J. Augustin's comments
It’s safe to say Charlotte Bobcats management feels ex-Bobcat D.J. Augustin did them wrong.
Augustin, now a backup point guard with the Indiana Pacers, was quoted in Friday’s Indianapolis Star as saying he “never knew where I stood’’ with the franchise during Augustin’s 282-game career here.
“I never felt like I was secure here,’’ Augustin continued. “That’s just how I felt. They didn’t talk to me about anything. I guess that’s how they do things.’’
Those comments came as a surprise and a disappointment to Rod Higgins, who heads the Bobcats’ basketball operations. The Bobcats offered Augustin a lucrative contract extension last season that he turned down. When the Bobcats came to terms with Ramon Sessions, the team rescinded a qualifying offer for more money than the one-year, $3.5 million contract Augustin signed with Indiana.
“I’m not going to go into specifics, but we offered him more than he signed for in Indiana,’’ Higgins told the Observer at Friday shootaround. “I don’t think it would be appropriate to comment further than that.’’
Augustin started about half his games as a Bobcat, to mixed results. It’s clear the front office here feels they treated him with respect and patience.
Posted by Observer Sports on November 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM | Permalink
DJ didn't want to be here. Good ridence. Happy to have guys that want to be here.
Posted by: PantherHead | Nov 2, 2012 11:28:37 AM
he sucked. the little leprichan
Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2012 11:35:14 AM
He better keep his Resamay upto date like West. He sucks
Posted by: Tiny Tom | Nov 2, 2012 12:15:23 PM
let's give rod some context.......he signed for less because he was restricted until they rescinded his qualifying offer AFTER most teams had exhausted their cap room or already signed a pg. dallas, houston, phoenix, new york, toronto, and others were all said to be interested and by the time he was unrestricted had already made moves.
whose resume is more credible? the gm who hasn't retained a single draft pick and drafted a 1st round pg right before offering said extension, the same guy who said the erick dampier trade was to "save money" even when it didn't.......or the guy who hasn't made any comments in the past and says he was in the dark.
Posted by: charlottean | Nov 2, 2012 1:31:39 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.