« A postscript on Bobcats-Trail Blazers | Main | Bobcats rookie MKG was "scared to death'' he wasn't good enough for the NBA »

December 04, 2012

Video: Bobcats collapse in 4th, lose to Trail Blazers in OT

The Charlotte Bobcats gave up an 18-point lead with less than five minutes to go and ended up falling to the Portland Trail Blazers in overtime, 118-112. Ben Gordon had a game-high 29 points.

Posted by Charlotte Observer on December 4, 2012 at 02:25 AM | Permalink

Comments

As much as I love Dunlap and I really think he is doing a great job with this team....he was the only reason the Bobcats lost the last two games.

He continues to live and die with that SUPER small lineup of Walker, Sessions and Gordon. When he did it vs the Hawks, it made sense because the Hawks had Teague, Harris and Stevenson, none of them too tall nor long.

But he did it with the Sixers (Holiday, Richardson and Turner) and it was a clear disadvantage for the Bobcats. Then he did it yesterday again vs Portland (Lillard, Matthews and Batum), and I cannot believe how he didn't see the clear damage that was done.

I understand those three guys can create and score...but they cannot defend together. How good is it for them to score 25 in a quarter if they give up 35 to the other team. The biggest leadt this team built last night, was playing MKG or Taylor at SF, Mullens at PF and Biyombo at C. as soon as he took MKG/Taylor and put in the Walker/Session/Gordon backcourt, everything went south in heartbeat.

The only thing I can really think of, is that they are showcasing Gordon as the capable and huge scorer he is, and infalting his stats, in order to trade him for some expiring contracts at the trade deadline. My other options are that the Bobcats are tanking or that he is indeed a bad coach - none of these I believe is the case.

Coach Dunlap, please give up on the idea of playing Walker/Sessions/Gordon for 20 minutes of every second half...you should be able to see by now (after 3 losses) that it doesn't work. That can be good for 5-8 minutes, but not for most of the second half.

Posted by: RobC | Dec 4, 2012 9:33:14 AM

I totally agree, Rob. I was at the game, and it was painful to watch as the lead slowly melted away in the final minutes as Portland got offensive rebound after offensive rebound.

When you are up 18 with only a few minutes to play, you don't need much on the offensive end. What you can't do is let the other team continuously grab offensive rebounds only to kick it out for wide open threes.

Biyombo should have been in the game.

Posted by: Carr | Dec 4, 2012 3:07:10 PM

Rob,

Great comments. I do think Gordon was feeling it and I can understand going with the hot hand, but defensively it just didn't work.

Posted by: cornchip | Dec 5, 2012 4:31:26 PM

the great thing about dunlap is that he acknowledged it after the portland game. dude gets it. he's not oblivious. he made a gamble that paid off in a few games and failed us in others. it's more of a call for other guys to get better so that he doesn't even feel compelled to do it.

last night the small ball matched up with the opponent, but gordon played like a tool after he made that 3 to put us up 8. the young guys haven't established themselves in the clutch yet. they will. I'm hoping we will see way more walker/henderson/mkg or taylor/mullens/biyombo down the stretch. that's where our future lies I would rather see some growing pains than steal a few wins when gordon isn't giving the ball away like he's joe forte point shaving at chapel hill (he absolutely did it).

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 6, 2012 12:09:46 PM

Yeah isn't this the second game in a row that they trapped him(gordon) after half court and he acted like he had no clue what to do?
Then stand there on the inbound and just act like you don't know what to do again, throw off the back of another player, throw it up in the air. don't just stand there.

FOR GODS SAKE THE BULLETT PASSES TO BIYOMBO HAVE GOT TO STOP. Sessions and Gordon. That is how many turnovers in 2 games because of that? At least 4 or 5 I think.

OK now thats out of my system... Gordon has well been money, so thanks for that.
This team needs some wins these close losses scare me for their confidence. Played their asses off!!
Got to go..... have to give Henderson some Love!!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 7, 2012 10:02:23 AM

I say they keep throwing the bullets to biyombo. Speed of the pass hasn't been the problem, a lot of times they haven't been great locations. Hit him in the chest. If he turns it over, he does. but he'll learn.

Gotta let em grow. Keep giving him the ball. He could be a legitimate post up threat if we make him be one. but if we keep him on the diop leash, he'll have the offensive game of diop.

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 7, 2012 4:49:26 PM

oh yea, no was not saying just Biyombo, just the passes in general were bad.

We have a lead tonite late in the 4th, bury Gordon!

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Dec 7, 2012 6:12:53 PM