« Memphis Grizzlies do salary dump, relieving pressure to trade Rudy Gay | Main | Video: Charlotte Bobcats edge Minnesota Timberwolves, 102-101 »

January 23, 2013

Bobcats commission polls on possible nickname change to "Hornets''

By Rick Bonnell

rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

With the New Orleans Hornets announcing Thursday afternoon they’ll change their nickname to the Pelicans, the Charlotte Bobcats face this question:

Would adopting “Hornets,’’ the nickname first associated with NBA basketball in Charlotte, drive up sales of game tickets and team merchandise?

The Bobcats are already engaged in market research to find out. They’ve hired Harris Interactive, a nationally prominent polling company, to survey both current Bobcats customers and the general Charlotte sports market about a possible change.

The Observer obtained a copy of the survey Harris emailed to various Bobcats season-ticket holders Wednesday. The electronic survey takes about 30 minutes to fill out, and asks all sorts of questions about the Bobcats, the Hornets and the general perception of what would sell more game tickets and team gear.

One question, about halfway through Harris’ survey, is the crux of the issue:

“If the Bobcats were to change their nickname to the ‘Hornets,’ would you attend more games than you currently do, attend fewer games, or attend about the same amount?’

The Bobcats aren’t commenting on the situation in New Orleans, since the name change won’t become official until a Thursday afternoon news conference. However, an NBA source confirmed to the Observer Tuesday night that Hornets owner Tom Benson has been given permission to switch the nickname to the Pelicans, an iconic bird in the state of Louisiana.

A grassroots effort called “Bring Back the Buzz’’ has lobbied for a name change from Bobcats to Hornets for over a year. Several hundred members of that group attended Saturday’s home loss to the Sacramento Kings.

Sitting mostly in the upper deck, they wore Hornets teal-and-purple merchandise and occasionally chanted “Charlotte Hornets’’ during the game.

That group was heartened when Benson, who also owns the NFL New Orleans Saints, said he wanted a nickname more associated with Louisiana.

The Hornets name is seemingly now available. NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said in April that if the Bobcats want the Hornets name, “it’s something we would clearly look at.’’ Silver added that a switch would be relatively simple since the league already owns all the trademarks.

Bobcats president Fred Whitfield told the Observer last month that a name change would cost the team at least $3 million to implement. Whitfield added that the team’s current stakeholders – season-ticket holders, sponsors and suite-holders – would have a big voice in any decision.

“Some of them have invested in us for nine years as Bobcats fans,’’ Whitfield said.

The issue isn’t just whether “Bobcats’’ or “Hornets’’ is more appealing to the Charlotte public. It’s whether a name change would actually drive sales of tickets, merchandise and general interest in this team.

Or as one item on the Bobcats’ survey posed, “When you think of the team nickname ‘Hornets,’ what comes to mind?’’

That is the $3 million question.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

No question...the Bobcats nickname has to go. Bring back the Hornets! Hey, would 'Zo consider a comeback too?

Posted by: PhilW1957 | Jan 23, 2013 7:10:25 PM

No Brainer!!! More tickets, more merchadise, more excitement. Hornets or bust!

Posted by: Persistent1 | Jan 23, 2013 7:17:13 PM

Yay!!! They better bring back the purple and teal colors, too. That will seriously increase merchandise sales.

Posted by: Susan | Jan 23, 2013 7:17:32 PM

This franchise needs the re-brand badly. The name Bobcats has never fit, and as you can see they have tried multiple times to mess with the logo/color schemes, and it has changed nothing. Bringing back the Hornets name will bring some interest back to the city and hopefully put a spark back to the franchise.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 23, 2013 7:28:16 PM

I'd buy merchandise and tickets If they would bring the name back! "Bobcats" is ridiculously stupid

Posted by: Buck | Jan 23, 2013 7:29:26 PM

The current bobcat name is one of the reasons I don't attend games. How can I get behind an organization that is using the name of the former owner? As a former hornet season ticket holder until the end, changing the name to the hornets would get me more interested in the nba, and perhaps a season ticket holder.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 23, 2013 7:30:44 PM

The Hornets name will drive more sales of everything the team needs...tickets, merch, and sponsorship money. BRING BACK THE HORNETS TO WHERE THEY BELONG IN CAROLINA.

Posted by: CharlotteHornets | Jan 23, 2013 7:32:11 PM

Bring Back the Hornets and i will gladly hang up everything Bobcats that i ever bought and buy all new Teal and Purple Hornets Gear

Posted by: Kemba Walker | Jan 23, 2013 7:37:07 PM

I personally wouldn't attend any more games bc of a name change. I want them to win more games and I will go. Get some players and spend some money and I will do the same regardless of name.

Posted by: Spaceman mike | Jan 23, 2013 7:38:14 PM

$3 million? That's it? How much does Tyrus Thimas make? I know it's more than three million dollars, and the Hornets name is worth a heck of a lot more than Tyrus Thomas!

Posted by: TribeHeel | Jan 23, 2013 7:45:38 PM

This is a no brainer for Jordan. If you're willing to spend $10 million a year on a player like Gerald Wallace (a few years back), why in the world wouldn't you do this. Current Bobcats supporters are probably gonna say they are fine with the Bobcats name, but I also bet the majority wouldn't oppose a name change. A name change, would get folks like me, a former season ticket holder, excited about the franchise. Yeah, I know, it all comes down to the product on the court, but I hate wearing Bobcats colors and gear b/c it reminds me of Bob Johnson. I own and wear more Hornets stuff just for the simple fact I love the colors, logo, and name. The name belongs back in Charlotte. Don't screw this one up Jordan like you do draft picks!

Posted by: stickyd | Jan 23, 2013 7:53:38 PM

I bought lower level season tickets today because I heard they were doing the survey. I'm excited to rid Charlotte of the name Bob cursed us with. Bob also called Charlotte "arrogant and incestuous" on his way out of town.

Bob would have chosen Bobcats if the team was in any city, Charlotte just happened to be the place the NBA picked to award the franchise.

I want a name that represents my hometown, not Bob's ego.

The Bobcats got my money today on good faith that they will do the right thing and bring our name home. They can keep getting my money if they bring the Hornets name home back to it's rightful home.

Posted by: JGibstweetspot | Jan 23, 2013 8:00:42 PM

They have to ask the question to season ticket holders to cover their bases. A sports fan in Alaska much less an executive in the TWC Arena , knows that the change would raise more than $3M dollars. Heck they would add 3M in additional revenue in year 1. I would purchase a small season ticket package the day it would become offical, and I live in GA.

Changing the name to Hornets would improve the market like moving the Nets to Brooklyn or Kings to Seattle. The NBA as a whole would be better off if this happened.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 23, 2013 8:15:57 PM

Please bring the name back I'm a fan of both versions, however this team has been bad soo long lets start over and drop the losing name. We've had one winning season in 9 years and endured the worst season ever. Lets show some goodwill to the fans and let us wear something that isn't associated with losing. The bobcats have been the worst NBA franchise since its inception. Bring back the Hornets!!!!!!

Posted by: Matt Tyson | Jan 23, 2013 8:17:34 PM

If a simple name change would make you support the SAME team then, there is something wrong with YOU! I just never understood what reasonable person would really start supporting their local team because the name changed.....so what the last owner was a jerk? Do you always pout when things don't go your way? The jersey still says CHARLOTTE on it and they represent our city wherever they go..forget about the nickname.

Wins should be the main factor to determine fan interest...and be REAL about this--IF the Hornets name comes back home, would you REALLY buy season tickets?? I think most of you would probably attend a game or two and buy some merch so all this hoopla about "I'll do this and I'll do that" is just random talk posted on message boards and call in radio shows on WFNZ.

I support the team regardless and choose to not because I like Bob Johnson, not because I agree with all the moves they've made but because its still the home town team!

Rant over...thanks

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Jan 23, 2013 8:18:12 PM

Easiest question I've answered in years

Posted by: Fraser | Jan 23, 2013 8:20:06 PM

Fact is most people, places and things get their name for some reason or another. This could be setimental, because of a historical event or etc. So for those who don't understand why we want the name back, how would you feel if you had your name and identity taken, given to someone else and then asked to take a totally different name and identity which DID NOT reflect who you are? What's in a name? Everything! BRING BACK THE HORNETS! BTW: if its so crazy, do you think Seattle will keep the name 'Kings' when they move from Sacremento?

Posted by: Name Game | Jan 23, 2013 8:24:04 PM

You used the non current logo in the story!!!

Posted by: Steve | Jan 23, 2013 8:25:12 PM

Because it's not at all like begging your ex girlfriend to come back after she's banged a bunch of other dudes for the past 12 years.

That's always a great move.

Posted by: charlottean | Jan 23, 2013 8:37:25 PM

Team had to conduct a survey? Are you kidding?

Posted by: rb` | Jan 23, 2013 8:44:04 PM

Bismack would look awesome in purple and teal.

Posted by: Timbo | Jan 23, 2013 8:50:33 PM

Judging by their performance, this team is clearly cursed. The malevolent Spirit Shinn put an evil spell on the club. Bringing back the magical Hornets name will remove the curse and return happiness, prosperity, and more wins to the kingdom. Verily I say to King Michael - Restore the Glory, defeat the curse, and Bring Back the Buzz!

Posted by: archie | Jan 23, 2013 8:52:33 PM

If Mike brings back The Hornets I might even be persuaded to give up something I really like for Lent.

Posted by: jim jordan | Jan 23, 2013 8:54:34 PM

Surveying current customers is stupid, they will fail unless they GROW THE FAN BASE.

2nd problem is the responses they get will largely come from morons, only a moron would spend 30 minutes on such a form. Why would you base a business plan on what morons think?

This much is fact, I travel all over the east coast and west coast, and I often see Hornet hats and jackets....I have NEVER seen a single piece of BOOBcat gear anywhere outside of Charlotte, EVER.

MJ, SAVE YOUR SURVEY MONEY AND GET ON WITH THE CHANGE!

Personally I'm not hung up on it in any big way but do think it would be a VERY smart PR move. ANYTHING this rag tag organization can do to generate some positive publicity should be undertaken, $3 million seems like a bargain to me.

Having said all that, I won't be surprise if Air Minimum & The Yes Men soldier on as the BOOBcats....

Posted by: Spider S. | Jan 23, 2013 9:11:57 PM

Terry, I'm watching our team get beat right now, the jerseys do not say "Charlotte" on them...

...they say "CATS"...

...the "BOOB" part is implicit.

Posted by: Spider S. | Jan 23, 2013 9:16:39 PM

Here's a solution: Move the team to a real city that can actually support it.

'charlotte usa' is one of the smallest markets in the nation with an NBA franchise, much less two pro franchises. They are lucky there is no decent college in town to pull more money away.

Posted by: Uncle Jesse | Jan 23, 2013 9:20:34 PM

Is this article correct that the survey takes 30 MINS to complete?!?!? Seriously? I haven't seen my survey yet, but that's ridiculous. I'm not in marketing but even I know a good survey is less than a third of that...

Anyway, I think it's a no-brainer to switch back to Hornets. I'd happily buy some new merchandise. Bobcats has always been a silly name.

Posted by: allen | Jan 23, 2013 9:37:17 PM

Im sorry but this team should be go the LOSERS instead of the Hornets or whatever else!!!

Posted by: Big Daddy | Jan 23, 2013 9:56:59 PM

go=called

Posted by: Big Daddy | Jan 23, 2013 9:57:54 PM

Not much to say for me but the same thing I've been saying the past year now. Bring back our Charlotte Hornet name ASAP.

Posted by: Freedom Huggins | Jan 23, 2013 9:58:38 PM

bring they hornet back man. i still have my old ish. hey bring back trepicka and chapmans and larry johnon heck bring gene little to. -s

Posted by: Stankonya | Jan 23, 2013 10:09:00 PM

I will buy $3 million in Hornets gear if MJ would drop the dead-ass B-Cats name and Bring Back the Buzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

Posted by: Mad Matt | Jan 23, 2013 10:09:46 PM

Let me survey the Charlotte Bobcats organization one time. Would increased ticket sales and more fan appreciation motivate the owners of this pathetic team to supply a product that is not an embarrassment? You do your part first and then we'll buy the tickets. A name is merely a name.

Posted by: Charlie B | Jan 23, 2013 10:16:41 PM

I still have all of my Hornets gear....Shinn could have taken the team but he should have left the teams name & logo !!! The Bobcats name has nothing to do with Charlotte or the region.

Hornets has to do with the Revolutionary war and how it was fought in this area, which is why it was choosen in the first place.

Posted by: AntMan007 | Jan 23, 2013 10:40:43 PM

Absolutely, bring back the Hornets please!!!

Posted by: Chad | Jan 23, 2013 10:41:42 PM

@Bobcat Terry- I bought season tickets today in support of he team survey to bring he Hornets name home.

If what you type is true- you will support the team equally no matter what the name is.

The argument I've heard the most is a true fan will support no matter the name... So we have 2 large groups

1. Hornets name proponents - they claim they will take more interest, buy more stuff, go to more games, etc, etc.

2. True fans who will support no matter what the name is.

So by changing the name, the team attracts more fans and keeps the ones they already have... Where's the downside?

Posted by: JGibstweetspot | Jan 23, 2013 10:51:09 PM

A few hundred people sitting in the upper level is not going to get it done. That is for sure. What a joke.

Posted by: Spencer | Jan 23, 2013 10:54:16 PM

HORNETS

Posted by: Wolflover | Jan 23, 2013 11:37:43 PM

they're surveying the current Bobcat ticket holders? they need to be surveying the city at large. then they'd find out if there was any additional interest. as a former Hornets season ticket holder, i have never attended a Bobcats game and never intend to. If they "bring back the buzz", i'd reconsider.

Posted by: Alexa | Jan 23, 2013 11:50:11 PM

DO IT YESTERDAY! IF THEY BLOW THIS CHANCE, THEY WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL. NO ONE LIKES THE BOBCATS NAME.

Posted by: Brendan | Jan 24, 2013 12:00:43 AM

Bring back the buzz! Go Hornets!

Posted by: Joe | Jan 24, 2013 12:35:22 AM

hornets all day..i stil have my larry johnson jersey from the old days.. hornets baby

Posted by: panthernation | Jan 24, 2013 1:01:09 AM

there are some odd balls that WANT to keep the Bobcats name. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants to remain the CHARLOTTE BOBCATS is clearly not from around here. CHARLOTTE HORNETS is a classic NBA name. bobcats < Hornets

Posted by: ZacGarrison | Jan 24, 2013 1:20:11 AM

There are very few times in life that you get the chance to truly wright a wrong. The Hornets Name never should have left Charlotte and we want it back. Bring back the buzz!

P.S. If the observer could fire Sorensen and Bonnell and replace them with sports writers who actually have a shred of insight that would be icing on the cake!

Posted by: Jason | Jan 24, 2013 1:32:09 AM

As a previous season ticket holder all I care about is wins! Figure a way to get some talent on this team which is easier said than done. Mascots and color schemes are unimportant and only detract from the real issues. Seriously, do you people who advocate a name change really beleive a top notch free agent will choose to sign with Charlotte because the name is Hornets vs Bobcats?
The critical question is how does this team get better talent? The latest CBA is a step in the right direction but it still does not offer enough assistance to small market teams. Combine that with an NBA draft which doesn't guarantee the top pick to it's worst team and you have to ask what chance does this organization stand? Until the NBA does more to help out the small market teams we're likely going to remain a bottom feeder regardless of nickname. Jordan needs to table this issue until he can figure out how to put a winning product on the floor.

Posted by: Aggiedecks | Jan 24, 2013 2:15:41 AM

I am trying to understand the logic behind a lot of these posts.

The Bobcats, as a team, are still horrible. Yet, a name change back to the Hornets, will increase attendance? If you put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Winning increases interest/attendance, not a nostalgic name change.

Posted by: FM | Jan 24, 2013 4:44:26 AM

history and heritage !! we ARE the hornets and forever will be.

CHARLOTTE HORNETS 2.0

jordan knows branding, and this is by far a rebranding slam dunk bonnell

Posted by: brendan | Jan 24, 2013 6:16:05 AM

While I understand the 'Cats have to do their due diligence with this whole process (I'd expect nothing less), I'd say we've already done the majority of their market research for them...

CHARLOTTE HORNETS 2.0

Beelieve that.

Posted by: John Morgan | Jan 24, 2013 6:35:37 AM

I wholeheartedly support the name change back to the Hornets. The day they announce the change I will purchase two season tickets and new merchandise because I support a Charlotte team that has history behind it. People who don't understand why the Hornets name is so special are evidently not from Charlotte. You had to experience the magic the first time around to understand. GO HORNETS!

Posted by: Candy | Jan 24, 2013 6:45:18 AM

I love my Bobcats, but would be a million times happier to say I LOVE MY HORNETS! I've bought a couple Bobcats shirts, but I would buy everything CHARLOTTE HORNETS THAT IS MADE AVAILABLE. Walk around Charlotte or the entire US, and I know for a Fact you will see more Charlotte Hornets gear compared to Bobcats or Cats.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 24, 2013 6:46:01 AM

BRING BACK THE CHARLOTTE HORNETS!

Posted by: b | Jan 24, 2013 6:51:15 AM

I want my kids to grow up going to Hornets games like I did. I would definitely be more-inclined to purchased tickets, and merchandise for the Hornets. I am a sporting purist - I appreciate when team names mean something!

Posted by: David | Jan 24, 2013 6:56:18 AM

It's a matter of history, as well as regional pride. The Hornets, and everything that goes with the name, belong in Charlotte. Bobby Phills' number should hang in our rafters. The memory of 'Zo, Grandmama, Muggsy, Dell, DW, Rice, Mason ... they all belong in Charlotte. This needs to happen. I'd buy season tickets as soon as the name is changed. Period.

Posted by: Sean O'Connell | Jan 24, 2013 6:59:39 AM

The Hornets nickname ascribed to Charlotte dates back to the Revolutionary War when area residents clashed with British troops. The term was used by General Cornwallis to describe the fiery independence of Charlotteans. This name means something to the city and residents....something the Bobcats never did. The NBA should have never allowed the name to leave Charlotte.

Posted by: Tom | Jan 24, 2013 6:59:47 AM

A rebrand would change the entire culture. Almost all of my friends that were hornet fans would be back on board, buying merchandise and tickets. The hornets are charlotte's team! Bring back the buzz and the people will come. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Jason | Jan 24, 2013 7:01:30 AM

Here's a 3 million dollar question... How much of that 3 mil did they have to pay to conduct this survey in which the public had already spoken and as far as merchandise isn't the Charlotte hornets hat the best selling for like 3 years straight? Bring back the buzz!

Posted by: Jimmy white | Jan 24, 2013 7:03:08 AM

The name Hornets evokes strong feelings for our community and BEElongs to the Queen City. We received a back stabbing from George Shinn and Ray Woolridge years ago and I would love nothing more than for MJ to heal this city and right our NBA legacy by taking the name back. Not only would I attended more games, I'd have the whole family dressed in Hornets gear. We BEELIEVE!

Posted by: Mark | Jan 24, 2013 7:09:23 AM

Growing up in Charlotte brought with it all the joys of being a Hornet's fan! I have never been able to identify with the Bobcats name even though I was a Lees-McRae College Bobcat. Bring back the buzz and you also bring back a Hornet's fan, one that attends games and buys merchandise!

Posted by: Lindsay | Jan 24, 2013 7:13:26 AM

$3 million dollar question?? Seems like an easy choice...What do bobcats have to do with Charlotte?? Nothing!! HORNETS all the way...it's historical I mean the police badges are hornets nests!

BRING BACK THE BUZZ!!!!!

Posted by: Samantha | Jan 24, 2013 7:18:26 AM

Agreed. I've never attended one Bobcats game. I had tickets for the Hornets. I'd get interested in them again...and for the butt that ranted above: I fell in love with the Hornets. When they moved I was ticked, and felt betrayed. I wasn't in love with Shinn...I was in love with the team, THE HORNETS. I pulled for the Hornets, wore the gear of the Hornets, went to the Hornets games and made sure to catch every game on TV when I couldn't. I didn't want a replacement team, I wanted MY team.

Posted by: B Greene | Jan 24, 2013 7:22:34 AM

I support the Bobcats team but there's no question, I'd rather the name be Hornets! I grew up with that name along with many other charlotteans. Bring back the hornets name and bring back a lot of fans. Continue to draft good players and test the free agency water, everyone's happy. Seems that a lot of current bobcats season ticket holders don't care about a name, just wins. So the answer to the magic question is simple.....Bring Back The Buzz!!!!!! Alive in the hive!!!!

Posted by: Justin | Jan 24, 2013 7:25:52 AM

No doubt, I would be there more for games if they were the Hornets.

Posted by: Chad | Jan 24, 2013 7:26:57 AM

Bring back the Hornets! I'll buy more merchandise and attend more games! We BEEELIEVE in the Hornets!

Posted by: Andy | Jan 24, 2013 7:30:23 AM

You guys have already said it all. Bring back the Charlotte Hornets!!!

Posted by: G Hough | Jan 24, 2013 7:30:53 AM

Ask the current players how they feel about going out on to the court to play as the Charlotte Bobcats. A name that Charlotte natives, like myself, as well as the remainder of the city, are discomfited by. If your fans aren't proud to represent your name, how could you, as a player, be excited and motivated to play well after so many years of being snubbed. If nothing else, bringing back the Charlotte Hornets would excite fans, making our players a little more enthusiastic about winning for their fans. Now, that's not to say that the same team would win all of their games simply because of a name change, but it would bring some passion and devotion back to our arena.

Go Hornets!

Posted by: Frances | Jan 24, 2013 7:37:56 AM

I lived in Charlotte in the 90s and I love my Hornets! They are the heart and soul of Charlotte! I would drive from Atlanta (where I live now) to Charlotte for the games it they bring back the Charlotte Hornets!

Posted by: Loretta | Jan 24, 2013 7:38:34 AM

When I first heard that there might be a possibility we could get the Hornets back in Charlotte my thought was "that would be so cool! I would totally go to Hornets game" Then my mind went wandering about getting my mother-in-law going to games again, and getting the awesome hornet's gear back on. I am in love with the idea of getting the Hornets back!

Posted by: Tegan | Jan 24, 2013 7:40:14 AM

Bring back the Hornets!

Posted by: Rusty | Jan 24, 2013 7:49:13 AM

The Bobcats name has got to go. When someone asks me hat I think of when u think of Hornets, I think of Alonzo Mourning hitting a jumper to beat the Celtics. I think of Grandma-ma. I think of 23,000 strong cheering on my pro ball team. I think of a team that led the NBA in attendance for 10 straight years. Bring back the Hornets!!

Posted by: Marc | Jan 24, 2013 8:01:12 AM

It's a 3 million dollar question? How much money did you sink into having Harris Interactive do this questioner for you? Honestly, I think someone within the front office should have been intelligent enough to develop a list of questions themselves and save you this expensive fee. If you're looking for places to save money, you just missed that one. Just bring back the Hornets!

Posted by: Michael | Jan 24, 2013 8:04:14 AM

Who actually cares, this team is going broke either way and will be out of Charlotte by the end of the decade. and this city will be a better place for it

Posted by: WhoCares | Jan 24, 2013 8:05:16 AM

The best thing a Bobcats fan can do for Charlotte is to support this change.
Bring Back The Buzz!

Posted by: MamaBuzz Kent | Jan 24, 2013 8:08:24 AM

When I think of the Hornets name I think about the excitement I grew up experiencing. I think about seeing Muggsy & LJ & Mourning and then transitioning to Mason and Divac, all before coming to my favorite Hornet of All Time, Glenn Rice! I never owned a Hornets jersey nor have I ever attended a Hornets home game (I live in Pennsylvania), but I promised myself long before this situation seemed close to becoming a reality, that if the Hornets name moved back to Charlotte I would make the trip to attend a Charlotte Hornets home game and show support to the team that made me a fan of the NBA.

Posted by: Cameron Gee | Jan 24, 2013 8:10:19 AM

Would the name change bring more talent? They are still going to suck whether you call them the Bobcats, Hornets, Cougars or Ladybugs

Posted by: does it matter | Jan 24, 2013 8:13:22 AM

If the bobcats were smart enough to change the name back to hornets I would instantly buy a hornets hat and at least a 5 pack of tickets for next year. Growing up in Charlotte remembering my first basketball experiences in the Charlotte colliseum surrounded by teal was awesome and having the team yanked from us was the first understanding of the disgusting politics of money. I have gone to a few cats games over the last few years, but it just feels awkward for those of us who grew up with the hornets in Charlotte. Bringing back the hornets name would put a lot of our frustrating history behind us and definitely increase attendance. And, we would finally have a throwback uniform they could wear cats on throw-away days, I mean throwback days.

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2013 8:13:49 AM

I'M A BOBCATS FAN. NOT A HORNETS FAN.

Posted by: Bobcat Bucks | Jan 24, 2013 8:17:44 AM

If they bring back the Hornets, I will buy 3 million dollars worth of merchandise.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 24, 2013 8:21:09 AM

I can't explain it, but - yes, I'd be more likely to go to games, because I'd feel a greater attachment to the team. My wife says it will reinvigorate the brand. It ought to be worth well more than it's going to cost to make the change.

Posted by: Alan Houck | Jan 24, 2013 8:31:19 AM

It blows my mind that anyone would want the Bobcats name. Please tell me your connection with the nickname? Does it remind you of Bob Johnson and how much he did for the city and how he egotistically named the team after himself? Does it remind you the NBA losing streak record? Are you in love with the logo and colors that have changed 3 times since their inception? Please tell me why you would be against bringing back a name, logo, and colors loved by true Charlotteans....and people all over the world? You won't find a single piece of Bobcats merchandise in any other city, much less another part of the world. Yes, we'll have the same under-performing team on the floor, but if we can sell more merchandise, at least it promotes the Charlotte name. I feel the team is moving in the right direction, but even if they were a top team in the East, I wouldn't buy their merchandise. If Jordan screws up this easy lay-up, I won't go to another game or buy a single piece of apparel until they are contending for the East.

Posted by: ktown8 | Jan 24, 2013 8:40:26 AM

All I can say is that Charlotte is known for the hornets not Bobs cats bring back the buzz!

Posted by: hornets fan for life | Jan 24, 2013 8:40:48 AM

Sorry to say the only way to increase attendance is for the team to win. Fortunately changing the name WILL MAKE the team much BETTER so go for it!!!!

Posted by: JB | Jan 24, 2013 8:43:43 AM

I'm a Charlotte native, born and raised, never lived anywhere else. I grew up watching the great Hornets teams in the 90s with all the great players (Zo, LJ, Muggsy, etc.). I even remember the next batch of players like Elden Campbell, Baron Davis, David Wesley, Jamaal Mashburn, etc. when those guys swept the Heat out of the playoffs, and everyone was wearing a headband. I just want that prefaced before someone jumps on me for not being a true Charlottean.

This team needs our support no matter what the name is. Charlotte gets a bad rap as a sports city because we are fairweather fans. A prime example is the Carolina Panthers. When they win, we're Super Bowl bound. When they lose, the team is the worst ever, and we need to trade everyone.

With the Bobcats, it's definitely been more losing than winning. I get it. There's been a lot of bad draft picks, bad teams (7-59) and bad ownership (Bob Johnson). However, changing the team name is only going to do just that: change the name. It will still be the same players on the court every night. It will not magically infuse talent onto the court and make our team instant contenders.

If everyone on here is that serious about supporting this name change and coming out to more games, there should be a waiting list for season tickets. Support this team no matter what, and come out every night to support these guys.

Posted by: JP | Jan 24, 2013 8:53:00 AM

Dug around in my storage and pulled out my old Hornets gear this past weekend. Got the clothes, pennant, pom poms, and all to go in my sports room along side my Carolina-VA Tech- kids sports items. Bring it back!

Posted by: Chris | Jan 24, 2013 8:53:10 AM

Hornets! I loved the hornets and we would sell more tickets AMD merchandise!

Posted by: KB | Jan 24, 2013 9:00:56 AM

MJ don't do it! Fans that can't support this franchise because of a name are not fans that will be there long term. Read these posts, all of these hornets fans still have their old hornets gear to wear to games so there goes your merchandise sales if you rebrand, they'll re-wear their old stuff. And the people that are upset because of Bob Johnson naming the team the Bobcats need to realize this: THERE WOULDN'T BE AN NBA TEAM BACK IN CHARLOTTE IF IT WASN'T FOR BOB JOHNSON (and the other initial investors, MJ included!) So who cares if they're called the Bobcats. Be grateful we have a team back in the QC!!

Posted by: JMo | Jan 24, 2013 9:01:25 AM

Are they aware how much Charlotte Hornets merchandise CONTINUES to sell even though the team hasn't been around for a decade???

Posted by: Allen | Jan 24, 2013 9:02:33 AM

HORNETS HORNETS HORNETS

Posted by: WFDDeac | Jan 24, 2013 9:06:56 AM

I am a Charlottean Born & Raised Here... grew up Loving the teal & purple.. hardly missed a game at The Hive! Bring Back Our Hornets MJ! I will Vow to Purchase Season Tickets & attend every game I Possibly can... I have only attended only 2 bobcats games since they came to the Queen City. Reason? The bad taste left when our Hornets Left & Bob Johnson's Ego that Named our team... Bring Our Hornets Back...

Posted by: Tyson Man | Jan 24, 2013 9:14:22 AM

I think they bring back the Hornets name in 3 or 4 years when the team has imporved in talent. There will bne a lot of good will wasted if they change the name to the Hornets then go 20 and 62 for two straight years.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 24, 2013 9:15:09 AM

It's evident JMo isn't originally from Charlotte. Please JMo, tell me why you are so in love with the Bobcats name, colors, and logo? No one from outside of the downtown area surely don't like any of it b/c I never see it anywhere except at home games. You cannot discount a beloved nickname, colors, and logo as a way to bind and tie fans and a team together. Sure, it won't get us more wins on the floor, but for some the name symbolizes a man and his ego. Not to mention the colors and mascot/logos are ugly. And if you don't think names matter, go over to hornets247.com and see all the uproar (positive and negative) over N.O. making this change. So don't tell me a nickname, colors, and logo doesn't matter. CHARLOTTE HORNETS!!!!

Posted by: ktown8 | Jan 24, 2013 9:15:45 AM

3 Million or 20 Million, Its 100% Worth It!

Posted by: Tyson Man | Jan 24, 2013 9:16:21 AM

ABSOLUTELY BRING BACK THE HORNETS!!! It is a no brainer. The 16 years that the Hornets were here were our cities best years ever! We led the league in attendance every year and had the craziest fans in the NBA. MJ finally got rid of Bob Johnson so let's make it official and get rid of the "Bob"cats name for good and get our NBA team, name and colors back to being fun and winning.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 24, 2013 9:16:35 AM

Improve the product on the floor. A name change does not address the poor product put on the floor each night by the Bobcats. Sure you will sell more shirts and hats with the Hornets name. But is that really the goal? The goal is to win games...right?

Posted by: Beth | Jan 24, 2013 9:19:02 AM

THE BUGS ARE BACK.. What a knockout marketing plan by Jordan.. As an ex Hornets season ticket holder,I still have all my old purple and teal Hugo gear,I would def. consider purchasing tickets again if they do it right..

Posted by: CJ | Jan 24, 2013 9:20:14 AM

BRING BACK THE HORNETS AND RESIGN DIOP!

Posted by: Sambo | Jan 24, 2013 9:28:06 AM

Charlotte = Hornets basketball!!! Take those B**cats and erase their existence. Charlotte was and always will be the Hornets nest. So lets "Bring Back The Buzz" so we can all enjoy those fine memories of The Hive once again!!!

Posted by: Daniel | Jan 24, 2013 9:29:58 AM

Beth, Cho is getting this team on track and will have a good team on the floor soon. Will I support the team, yeah! However, I don't feel like I have any bond or tie to the team due to the Bobcats name. Therefore, even though I will support and cheer for them, I won't buy merchandise or go to many games. There are many things that binds a team to it's fans besides just wins. Do you go to games? I do, but only b/c it's good for the city when the team does well. I cannot force myself to buy any ugly Bobcats hats, shirts, or jersey's. I just cannot understand why any current Bobcats fan would oppose a name change? Jordan has the money to spend on the name change, and it isn't as if that money will effect the salary cap or free agent signings. Jordan has plenty of money, so let him worry about that. Now if he comes out and says he cannot afford it, then that's a different story. However, changing the name isn't going to negatively affect the team. Go HORNETS

Posted by: ktown8 | Jan 24, 2013 9:34:55 AM

I am from Charlotte. I used to go to all of the Charlotte Hornets games. It was a huge part of my life. Once the Panthers came to town, I became a Panthers fan. I have traveled over 4 hours to watch the Panthers play in their bad years and the good ones. Thick and thin, still love em. I have had ZERO desire to EVER see the Bobcats. Something as simple as bringing the Hornets name back would make me a fan again. I would watch the games and even drive to 4 hours to see them. Even if they still are not a good team, I would become a fan again. I still have all of my Hornets merch. "STAND on YOUR FEET, and GREET YOUR CHARLOTTE HORNETS!!"

Posted by: Adam | Jan 24, 2013 9:36:43 AM

I already own a lot of bobcats clothes, id prefer to keep the bobcats name. They actually have the name Charlotte on the jerseys. You would know this if you actually paid attention to the team. To all the people saying they will buy tickets if they change the name. Why dont you buy the tickets now and vote with the season ticket holders to make your opinion actually matter? I already voted against the name change so if you want a voice buy one.

Posted by: Spaceman Mike | Jan 24, 2013 9:37:23 AM

Bring the Hornets back....

Posted by: Kc | Jan 24, 2013 9:38:51 AM