« Relocation vote on Sacramento Kings a stunner if you recall Charlotte precedent | Main | 5-and-counting on Bobcats candidates »

April 30, 2013

Bobcats receive permission to interview Cleveland assistant Nate Tibbetts

The Charlotte Bobcats asked for and received permission to interview Cleveland Cavaliers assistant Nate Tibbetts for their head coaching job, the Cavs confirmed Tuesday.

Tibbetts, 35, was retained by the Cavaliers after they fired head coach Byron Scott and replaced him with Mike Brown last week. Tibbetts also interviewed with the Bobcats last spring before they hired Mike Dunlap.

Dunlap lasted a single 21-61 season in Charlotte before the Bobcats fired him last week.

Before joining Scott’s staff, Tibbetts was a successful development-league coach. He took the Tulsa, Okla., franchise to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons before coming to Cleveland in December of 2011.

The Bobcats place a priority on player-development and Tibbetts got high marks in that regard from Cavs All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving. The day Irving was named rookie of the year last spring, he singled out Tibbetts for the constant attention and advice Tibbetts delivered.

“Coach Tibbetts would pull me over at the start of the season. I was always a shy guy, all I did was come to practice,’’ said Irving, a former Duke star. “I was here three hours early, getting my shots up because I was so nervous to come in and I wanted to make everything perfect.

“Coach Tibbetts told me what to do and what not to do every single day.’’

Posted by Observer Sports on April 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

Comments

they call me Mr. Tibbs

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 30, 2013 12:12:54 PM

Terry Vandrovec is the guy you need to talk to about Nate Tibbets. Beat writer for South Dakota State and the Sioux Falls Skyforce.

Posted by: Alex Thompson | Apr 30, 2013 12:33:17 PM

Using my pie chart as an example, I can show you many reasons why this is a bad idea.

Posted by: Jerrry Richardson | Apr 30, 2013 1:29:04 PM

so we're firing the head coach of a 21-61 team in his first year with a young talented team to possibly replace him with the assistant coach of a 24-58 team with more young talent and where he was NOT immediately promoted to head coach when they fired their coach. And he was presumably passed on last year for dunlap.

This firing still baffles me.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 30, 2013 1:31:18 PM

I heard there is an opening on death row. Maybe Tibbetts would like to interview for it?

Posted by: Courtside | Apr 30, 2013 1:37:59 PM

The entire Bobcat front office needs to be fired. There isnt a worse run team in any sport. When will they realize its not the coach but the lack of talent the coach has to work with?

Posted by: Mr. Smee | Apr 30, 2013 1:47:02 PM

This team is like the Clippers of the 90s.

Posted by: Smitty | Apr 30, 2013 2:01:22 PM

The guy we fired was let go because NBA pros didn't respect him....and we think this 35 yr old with a community college coaching resume will have the respect and player development we need?

bunch of morons

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 30, 2013 2:13:31 PM

The B*bcats front office is a joke! Nothing surprises me with this bunch anymore. You can look at Fred Whittfield and tell he's a cocky,know it all, that really in truth is so dumb he wouldn't know his a** from a hole in the ground! Higgins is clueless as well and cho must be an idiot for getting himself mixed up with these morons. MJ needs to just sale the team.. Like Muggsy Bogues said on Wbtv last week.. The whole culture of this franchise needs to be changed from inside out!

Posted by: Charlotteisfullofprunes | Apr 30, 2013 2:48:13 PM

If they're going this route, why not give it to one similar already on payroll...Steven Silas.

Posted by: eduardo | Apr 30, 2013 2:51:01 PM

I am just curious who do you all suggest and what do you think the chances are of them coming?

Posted by: David | Apr 30, 2013 2:53:13 PM

Greeeeaaaaaaaaat!

Another cheap alternative by His Minimumness.

#laughingstock

#doormat

Posted by: NASTAR14 | Apr 30, 2013 3:22:14 PM

Nothing gets a disgruntled fan base fired up like the possibility of hiring an assistant coach to turn the team around. Between the side-stepping of changing to the Hornets and piss poor management, I've just about reached the end with this team. I mean, if they can't even make a home run and easy move like the name change, I can't expect them to make any correct difficult decisions. I'll give this team through free agency to make some bold/good moves and announce a name change. If not, adios for good!

Posted by: ktown8 | Apr 30, 2013 3:29:45 PM

Hiring Dunlap was a mistake from the beginning. His questionable rotations and lineups, his continuous use of zone defense, his refusal to play MKG in the fouth quarter, his over use of playing small ball, and his cold, staunch attitude were enough to send him packing.

It's funny how some say this team has no talent, but with the addition of one player (McBob) all of a sudden made this team better. That's coaching folks. This team has young talent, but the coach could not do anything with it.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 30, 2013 3:33:15 PM

Is this franchise so bad that they cannot attract a real coach? Seriously, this is awful. The front office is a joke.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 30, 2013 3:49:35 PM

I agree with NASTAR14 comments. I am a huge Jordan fan, but he has been horrible as a team owner and he has surrounded himself by too many yes men I see no hope for the Bobcats unless Jordan decides to sell the team.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 30, 2013 4:12:59 PM

Dead man walking if he takes the job.

Posted by: Jiggy Man | Apr 30, 2013 4:26:44 PM

D.W.G.,

you didn't make any sense. we were good post mcroberts trade and so that is somehow irrelevant to dunlap? or was the an indictment on how poorly mullens played outside of the first 10 or so games and the first 5 after his injury?

rick carlisle won a championship with a zone defense. and dunalps rotations were not the least bit inconsistent. the team doesn't lack talent, it lacked experience. if the coaching were horrible, we would have been blown out every single game. we were competitive in a TON of games we lost. we lost them either because of talent or experience. there were only a few games where he was culpable because he went with a lineup that wasn't ideal down the stretch and he owned it those games.

the people that got him fired were the same people that only won 21 games this year so let's put that in context. they were either past their prime and pissed off that they actually had to show up to work and work hard or they were too young to appreciate what his coaching was doing for them.

if kemba walker had ANYTHING negative to say about dunlap, he's an idiot. that dude saved his career from mediocrity. The difference between kemba being mike bibby and kemba being nate robinson. kemba owes that dude big time. you could have had a coach come in and say kemba's too small and start sessions instead.

the only guy whose opinion on this would be completely respected in my mind would be gerald henderson. Maybe mcroberts too but his sample size was small. henderson was there all summer through the hire. Would absolutely love to hear henderson's take on it.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 30, 2013 5:11:45 PM

Yeah the team made a few bad moves (Morrison, Ajinca, Trading Chandler and Wallace, Letting Felton walk with nothing in return). But Byombo is not a bust. Walker, MKG (youngest player in the league),Taylor, McBob,Sessions is a strong young core. 3 or 4 1st round picks in the next 2 years. Sounds good to me.

But we have a bunch of immature fans writing in calling people jokes, idiots, morons, awlful, laughing stocks. Grow up people.

Posted by: scoopy doo | Apr 30, 2013 5:12:44 PM

you forgot henderson who is easily our most consistent player and currently our best. hopefully we don't let him walk like we did with felton and augustin.

but firing dunlap feels awfully like a move of old and not a move of new.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 30, 2013 7:04:43 PM

Brutal. How does Higgins still have a job? How many coaches does on GM get to hire before people realoze he is he problem? I have never seen anything like this. How does the Observer cover all of these coaches being fired, but lets a guy like Higgins completely off the hook? Not renewing ,y tickers until they make some real changes there.

Posted by: Symbiotic | Apr 30, 2013 9:31:20 PM

Why do we even bother interviewing another inexperienced coach? I'm totally baffled. SMH..

Posted by: nucat | Apr 30, 2013 9:43:07 PM

Nothing against Dunlap because he is unquestionably a good coach. What are they looking for in a head coach?

Posted by: nucat | Apr 30, 2013 9:47:39 PM

Jordan is hoping that this team is sold to Seattle!

Posted by: H | Apr 30, 2013 10:14:02 PM

H, that would in fact be the very best outcome for His Minimumness!

Way to go guys, feels like more and more of you are getting grounded in what the reality of this situation is....a complete debacle.

This just is not going to get better as long as current ownership remains at the helm.

Posted by: NASTAR14 | May 1, 2013 1:10:30 AM

Show me where I said henderson was a superstar. Truthfully, he WOULD start for over half the teams in the league, he just wouldn't lead them in scoring.

He's a great pro who should be a 3rd or 4th option on a great team. A slightly better version of his dad, realistically.

Everybody hates him because he's not kobe. but he's not supposed to be kobe either. what he is.......is good. and definitely worth keeping. that lineup of kemba/hendo/mkg/mcroberts/biyombo could be something as they grow up and add more pieces to the puzzle. put noel in instead of mcroberts and have josh coming off the bench and it looks even better.

Posted by: charlottean | May 1, 2013 12:40:02 PM

If Jordan sold this team to Seattle it would simply show he played this perfectly. The fact that an NBA team as bad as Sacramento is going for 525 million already made this a good investment for Jordan. The rich get richer. He may not be able to turn this team around, but he was smart enough to make money off it. Even as he keeps it, the new CBA lowers any losses. The guy has the business part figured out.

Posted by: James R. | May 1, 2013 1:12:19 PM

I've been a season ticket holder from the start but I've just about run out of patience. If MJ screws up this offseason I'm throwing in the towel.

Posted by: apauldds | May 1, 2013 2:14:44 PM

this crap is getting worse each week..just look at all the former bobcats that are in the playoffs with other teams.i also notice the draft picks that we didnt draft on playoff rosters..dam we suck

Posted by: charlottelife | May 2, 2013 8:32:50 AM

IF they get the right hire here and land Noel in the draft (assuming he's healthy).....we'll be more than fine. If we get the wrong hire and draft the wrong guy.....we'll be effed. again.

Posted by: charlottean | May 2, 2013 10:26:41 AM

We have an extra 1st round draft choice...for coach. Don't blow it on a mediocre talent that won't turn the team around.

And yes, it is about talent and experience...both for the players and the coach.

Posted by: Airbrush87 | May 2, 2013 12:40:59 PM

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if MJ finally gave in and gave the People what they want....

MJ at press conference... "I heard our fan base screaming and I'm a big believer in giving the fans what they want. I heard about the Bring Back The Buzz movement so I decided to give it to you. Our next coach is Buzz Peterson"

But, Michael that's not the Buzz we wanted..

Please get this right Michael