« Video: Charlotte Bobcats' road skid reaches 13 after 94-75 loss to Memphis | Main | New Orleans video makes name-change buzz louder »

April 11, 2013

Nickname change to Hornets coming soon?

IMG_Charlotte_Hornets_03_2_1_AB6EF3VS

The New Orleans Hornets will become the Pelicans next season, leaving the Hornets nickname as somewhat of a free agent.

The Charlotte Bobcats are holding a "town hall" meeting Monday with season-ticket holders, one that will include NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver.

Two days later, Bobcats owner Michael Jordan's company, Jordan Brand, is re-releasing some purple and teal gear and sneakers that harken back to the old Charlotte Hornets.

The Bobcats have reportedly invited some to a Wednesday event, tied to the season finale against Cleveland, to "discuss the Bobcats' future," and Thursday the team will host an open house.

Two fan blogs are reading the tea leaves of all this and coming to the conclusion that the team has decided to change its nickname back to the Charlotte Hornets, the name the city's NBA expansion franchise took in 1988 and held until 2001, when the Hornets bolted for New Orleans after failing to get a new arena.

And while "Bring Back the Buzz" notes that this could all be "one giant, big, huge, coincidence,"  Bleacher Report goes far enough to suggest that the sneaker release is a sign Jordan and the Bobcats front office have made up their mind.

Except they're saying they haven't. A Bobcats source told The Observer on Wednesday that nothing is "imminent" on a possible name change.

Not that it won't ever happen. Jordan, and the franchise leadership, might well decide a change is well worth the $3 million cost. But they might not. Some argue that the Bobcats, who have the NBA's worst record, can improve their financial situation more by winning consistently, regardless of the nickname.

The team has yet to make public the results of its scientific survey of ticketholders and others, which is almost certain to be more evenly split than the unscientific landslides -- including the ones we have measured at charlotteobserver.com -- touted by name-change supporters.

But there isn't a name-change announcement scheduled for next week.

Incidentally, if you want to read tea leaves, the first 5,000 fans Monday receive Bobcats jersey coolers from Sprite. If they announced a name change Wednesday, would those be retro-cool by next Thursday?

-- Mike Persinger

Posted by Observer Sports on April 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

Comments

Come on, BRING BACK THE BUZZ ALREADY!

Posted by: PantherHead | Apr 11, 2013 11:08:20 AM

Please change the name they look like a NBA D league team. Why would anyone be attached to the bobcats name except bob Johnson?? What happy/good memories does anyone have associated with these zombie hornets. They have been a bumbling mess of epic portions since the get-go. Nothing good has been associated with this franchise since we were given it.

Posted by: Jiggy Man | Apr 11, 2013 11:10:25 AM

Bzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hugo | Apr 11, 2013 11:32:18 AM

I will say this, The Charlotte Hornets logo/name is Very Popular on the "retro" scene and alot of that money can be recouped in merchandising alone.

Posted by: Smitty | Apr 11, 2013 11:37:32 AM

Hell no!! Don't placate the children who can't grow up!

Posted by: ChoKnows | Apr 11, 2013 11:38:52 AM

HORNETS, HORNETS, HORNETS!!!!!!!!! Make it happen!

Posted by: Big Bad John | Apr 11, 2013 11:48:04 AM

For the love of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus, please bring back the Hornets.

Posted by: BB King | Apr 11, 2013 12:14:03 PM

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't make up the $3 million in merchandising by itself. People still buy Charlotte Hornets gear over a decade after they stopped existing. Imagine how much they'd sell if the name came back? I bet it's more than Bobcats merch is selling now.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 11, 2013 12:17:44 PM

THANKS SO MUCH FOR BRING BACK THE HORNETS NAME !!

Posted by: brendan | Apr 11, 2013 12:18:59 PM

If what the negative, pessimistic voices are saying is true: Just win and the name doesn't matter. Then why not change the name? If winning is all that matters to these people and the name makes no difference then let the people who care about the name have it. I don't think I have heard one voice in this discussion say: "I love the Bobcats, it is an awesome name and we should keep it." The only argument I ever hear is "just win, yada-yada" So why can't we have both; let's call them the Hornets and win!

Posted by: Steve | Apr 11, 2013 12:20:19 PM

I would like to see them do it, but saying that merchandise sales will support the expense is laughable. Thank god these people don't run a team or it would already be out of business. I have invested in retail based businesses. The margins on apparel products are not great. To make 3 million or more back in actual net profit would take a massive amount of gross sales. It might be a small piece of the teams return on investment, but that is it. If they really want to make their money back, they better hope people buy tickets.

Posted by: James R. | Apr 11, 2013 12:30:07 PM

The fact that the powers that be have allowed the issue to perpetuate to this point tells me all I need to know. Blowing this opportunity would go down as one of the legendary PR blunders in marketing history, and the 'Cats have folk that're smart enough to know that.

Charlotte Hornets 2.0. Not if, but when.

Posted by: John Morgan | Apr 11, 2013 12:32:19 PM

If jordan screws this up, I'm completely done with the NBA and this team.

Posted by: Stickyd | Apr 11, 2013 12:41:36 PM

Bring back the buzz.

Posted by: Marty Hurney | Apr 11, 2013 12:44:59 PM

I like your zing to all the Hornets fan at the end Mike ("If they announced a name change Wednesday, would those be retro-cool by next Thursday?") but no the Bobcats gear would absolutely not be retro-cool if the name is changed. The cool logo, colors, and positive vibes from the old Charlotte Hornets is what has kept that gear retro-cool. The Bobcats have none of that.

Posted by: bball fan | Apr 11, 2013 12:49:14 PM

Yes Rick Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Posted by: Demetrious Wilson | Apr 11, 2013 12:55:01 PM

adults worried about nicknames.......YAYYYYYYY

next it's going to be "bring back the cats". never stops in this town. we need more real sports fans and less bandwagoneers.

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 11, 2013 1:09:33 PM

fire mike

bring back huge

i wanna be like hugo! buzzed outta my mind.

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 11, 2013 1:10:30 PM

Be sure to look for those free giveaway tees at your local goodwill after this game Saturday. They will NEVER Retro any bobcats gear!

Posted by: Jay Evans | Apr 11, 2013 1:11:49 PM

Bring back the BUZZ already!!

Posted by: Brett | Apr 11, 2013 1:22:41 PM

Just as an example, I think that Minnesota and New Orleans would almost kill to have their "Lakers" and "Jazz" names back respectively. To have this oppotunity and not take advantage of it would be an INCREDIBLE blunder by Jordan and the "Bob's-Cats"

Posted by: DukeOfFUNC | Apr 11, 2013 1:24:25 PM

Maybe your source DIDN'T want to tell you (or isn't in the know). I'm sure if the news was coming, they wouldn't want it spoiled by some "blogger."

Posted by: MMM Donut | Apr 11, 2013 1:26:01 PM

Slap lipstick on a pig, still a pig. Half of the jokers in this city asking for the name change will probably attend 1 or 2 games, and after the luster wears off you will all be the first to bash the team and the management/owner.

Just recall how many of you Tarheel fans screamed and cheered for Felton and May being drafted. How many of those people are still cheering at Bobcat games even when they were still here?

Posted by: Khiem | Apr 11, 2013 1:28:16 PM

Something as important as reclaiming our identity is worth the wait. Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later. Keep the faith.

Posted by: Derek Gomes | Apr 11, 2013 1:59:22 PM

Nah you got it all wrong!!!! The meeting is to inform everyone that the team will be sold and moving out of Charlotte!
LOL

Posted by: Big Daddy | Apr 11, 2013 2:00:17 PM

Although I really don't care for the name, from a business stand point it makes perfect sense. Even more so when you are rebuilding and trying to give fans and media something positive to talk and brag about.

Now, there are rumors that Doug Collins might be heading out the door in Philly. If that is the case, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MJ, Cho and Co. try to bring this guy to coach the Bobcats/Hornets. That's indeed the best thing you can do, and then go sign Al Jefferson and draft McLemore.

PS: You may also amnesty Tyrus Thomas, hopefully the name change will help pay for that too.

Sincerely,

A 4 Years STH

Posted by: RobC | Apr 11, 2013 2:04:28 PM

If they change they name, that's great... But I'd rather see a winning Charlotte team on the floor first!

Posted by: PantherDave | Apr 11, 2013 2:04:32 PM

we got rid of bernie bitchastaff and his moron son....we got rid of the BET loser owner....now lets get rid of the Bobcats name and bring back the Buzz baby!!!!

bonus for getting rid of Foxx....HUGO FOR MAYOR!!!! THE CLT IS BACK BABY

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 11, 2013 2:08:18 PM

Rare is the sort of unconditional love and undying devotion that was once the hallmark of the relationship between the city of Charlotte and her Hornets. Night after night, year after year, "The Hive" was alive; impassioned Beelievers wreaked a unique aural havoc upon all who dared to enter that hallowed hall. From the 20-win seasons of Rambis and Tripuka, to the genuine Eastern Conference contenders of the late 1990's, this city; this jewel of the New South; provided both the NBA and the nation at large a perfectly-executed blue print of the power of civic pride. Then there were the lean years. Our once beloved owner...let's just say he became somewhat less beloved. This was followed by the acrimonious arena issue. And in a matter of a few short seasons, the one constant in this city of flux, our beloved Hornets, was gone. I defy any of you present for that final, crushing playoff loss to state that you didn't shed a tear as you filed into the parking lot. But hope, as they say, springs eternal. B** Johnson managed to bring the NBA back to the Queen City in 2004. As my mother taught me to refrain from speaking of someone unless I had something complimentary to say, this will be the last I will mention of Mr. Johnson. Let's cut to the chase. The B**Cats have been a PR disaster...the ownership has, in a round about way, admitted as much. Whether it was through their own doing (oh, I don't know...C-SET, anybody?!?) or factors outside of their control (the 'jilted-lover' scars of a fanbase done wrong), they've never taken hold in the city of Charlotte, much less on a national scale (stroll through the streets of any major city long enough, and you're bound to see a hip kid sporting throwback Charlotte Hornet gear. I don't think I've ever seen any B**Cats paraphernalia outside of the metro area...and not much inside the metro area). The Honorable Sir Airness himself vented his frustrations in a recent Charlotte Observer article: "Number one for 10 years!" Jordan said, his voice rising. "The community supported it and at that time, the Hornets supported the city. I want to duplicate that. I want us to be No. 1 in attendance and No. 1 in the community. "If we ask people to invest in us, we must invest in them." Let's face the facts, Mike. The swiftest, savviest, most crowd pleasing way to convince this community to "invest in (you)"? GIVE US BACK OUR HORNETS. The current New Orleans Hornets franchise has been embroiled in an unparalleled period of strife. Left high and dry by George Shinn (sound familiar?), the team was purchased by the NBA in 2010. Recently, League Commissioner David Stern has made%2

Posted by: Scotty Kent | Apr 11, 2013 2:13:22 PM

Khiem you obviously weren't here when the Hornets were here, or you would understand why Hornets fans want them back. I'm not a "Joker"; I am a lifelong Hornets fan and Charlotte native who would buy two season tickets the moment the announcement is made. Just wondering how many minutes you've been in Charlotte before you decided to comment.

BRING BACK THE BUZZ!!!!

Posted by: Candy | Apr 11, 2013 2:14:26 PM

Charlotte Hornets!!!

Posted by: Joseph Mack | Apr 11, 2013 2:31:21 PM

I am the "Joker"? I was a season ticket holder for the Hornets when I was old enough and employed enough to buy tickets. I have also been a season ticket holder for the Bobcats even after moving away from the city so don't even question my loyalty. if you loved the Hornets that much as much of this city claims they do why did everyone throw their hands in the air and basically decline upgrading the stadium to begin with? Oh that's right, I guess "Hornets" is only the "Buzz" right now, in the moment. Just like before, this city, with all their fairweather fans, i.e look at Bobcats and even Panthers, the name change will do NOTHING to bring the fans back. It will just be a brief satisfaction that will fade quickly.

In pro sports, its about wins, especially in a wine and cheese city like Charlotte.

Posted by: Khiem | Apr 11, 2013 2:34:05 PM

Moved here from Houston in 2001. It doesn't take a "Rocket" scientist to understand that having a name with a historic connection to the city increases loyalty on both the part of the fans and the average citizen. Bring back the Hornets and hear the buzz build...

Posted by: javadiva | Apr 11, 2013 2:36:03 PM

Also to add, buying tickets b/c of a name instead of just simply supporting the local team no matter what they are called is just plain counter productive and why this whole conversation is a joke.

The name change does NOTHING about the teams current short comings. It neither fixes the wins, or the city in which it is located. If you are supportive of the team the name should not mean anything. Having the Hornets moniker will not help the team get better. Get real already, if the name change is what brings you to the stadium, I'd rather you stay home.

Posted by: Khiem | Apr 11, 2013 2:38:27 PM

Give this team and this city a much-needed boost...
BRING BACK THE HORNETS!!! :)

Posted by: Jen | Apr 11, 2013 2:39:40 PM

$3 million dollar hornets name change would have a greater impact on this team next season than $10 million dollar Tyrus Thomas. Money isn't a favor here, pride is. Admit the Bobcat regime in CLT has been a tire fire and make some real moves to build a national brand and watchable team. this should not even be a discussion.

Posted by: Garsonthegreat | Apr 11, 2013 2:45:52 PM

Hugo the Hornet Bio

Birthdate: November 4, 1988

Home: Nest at the New Orleans Arena

Appearance: A purple and teal Hornets with a ruffle of yellow hair on his head

Objective: To entertain the public with his acrobatic antics and comical routines during quarter breaks and timeouts as well as crowd interaction.

Gotta bring Hugo back to his true home!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN CLT !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 11, 2013 2:54:36 PM

What MJ should do is punt this to next year, and then the next year, and the year after that. It keeps people talking about the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets and as we all know any publicity is good publicity.

Posted by: JMo | Apr 11, 2013 2:55:45 PM

HORNETS! HORNETS! HORNETS!

Posted by: rhinosolott | Apr 11, 2013 3:21:31 PM

BEE-Fense!!....Bee-Fense!!!
Yea, you remember...
Love it!

...and bring back the big dude cutting flips across the court!

Posted by: Don Mexico | Apr 11, 2013 3:23:36 PM

I can't wait to buy the new Charlotte Hornets gear. I'm a season ticket holder and I have never spent $1 on Bobcats gear although I've spent multpile thousands on tickets.

Bring our Hornets name home!

I will be so upset if they blow this opportunity. The have a chance to unite the fanbase and this city.

Charlotte is Buzz City

Posted by: Current Season Ticket Holder | Apr 11, 2013 3:33:30 PM

Personally, I would prefer a team thaty can win games.

Posted by: Russ | Apr 11, 2013 3:40:13 PM

bring back the buzz, the family atmosphere at the games, and how about some 1988 ticket prices for a few games to win back fans???

how's that for a PR idea to win back the city?

it can be done

Posted by: big gulps | Apr 11, 2013 3:50:14 PM

@ "big gulps" -

If you actually attend a game you would know two things:

1.) The family atmosphere is actually there, I've been part of it with my family for 4 consecutive years.
2.) Attending a Bobcats game is actually cheaper than going to the movies. I can "almost" guarantee you that they are by far the cheapest of any pro-sport in US.

So stop complaining and put your money were your mouth is.

Posted by: RobC | Apr 11, 2013 4:11:33 PM

Wow. Look at all the comments this topic has generated. And rightfully so.
I was just talking about this earlier today saying to myself that Jordan CANNOT afford to blow this opportunity to get the city's historic, meaningful name back where it belongs.
Make it happen MJ. This will be the smartest and biggest financial move you could EVER make concerning this team.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Apr 11, 2013 4:31:52 PM

It seems the short memory bunch are out in force again. Let me remind you that didn't live here or have forgotten: The last two years the "hive" was empty. The city didn't support the team in the slightest. I purchased COURTSIDE tickets at the box office the last playoff series, and the place was 1/3 filled. Say no to these kids crying for what was never there Mike. Stick with the Bobcats, we true fans are here and have been since day one.

Posted by: ChoKnows | Apr 11, 2013 4:37:54 PM

Being born and raised here, attending be cool stay in school events, having seen the multiple murals of bugsy, lj, zo, dell, and hugo downtown, being in multiple arenas, breaking attendance records, the bee-lieve towels swirling around the arena, this is a no brainer. We grew up with the Hornets, we loved them, embraced them, cheered for them, defended them, and they broke our hearts...they left us and we have yet to recover. We have tried to mend our broken hearts with the Bobcats, but the love affair is just not the same. Bring back our first love, the only love we only knew. Da Charlotte Hornets

Posted by: Reggie | Apr 11, 2013 5:49:21 PM

I would actually start paying attention to basketball and our team if this would happen

Posted by: burntmatch2003 | Apr 11, 2013 6:09:17 PM

I am a big Bobcats fan. I was a big Hornets fan too. I live in Durham but still manage to drive down to Charlotte at least once a month for a game. It it hard to imagine a "fan" who lives in Charlotte and doesn't support the team especially if the care for basketball. I suspect that there is more to wanting a name change that most folks are willing to say.

I also support the Panthers and the Hurricanes. Unfortunately, all three of my teams have terrible records in terms on wins and losses. The thing they have in common is NORTH CAROLINA. We simply do not have the environment or incentives to appeal to "star" players (and their families) in any professional sport. All things considered, the environment is getting worse. I feel that LA would appreciate a move by the Panthers to their city and would not insist on calling them "Rams". I also feel that Seattle would embrace the Bobcats and not insist on calling them "Supersonics". If any of our teams moved to another city I would support them UNTIL North Carolina obtained a competing franchise. I supported the New Orleans Hornets until the Charlotte Bobcats came along.

Prior to my getting married, Patricia, the love of my life, married someone else. I never had a desire to call my wife Patricia nor do I have a desire to change her name. The name has nothing to do with the characteristics of the object it represents.

Posted by: jimm | Apr 11, 2013 6:56:29 PM

All the people saying the name doesn't matter you ever thought for one second that people are tired of being reminded of BOB Johnson? He did kind of trash talk Carolina and name the team BOBcats. I myself personally think that supporting a name of a man who downed this community (Carolina) is stupid and something that someone who doesn't care about this community would do. If you say that the Hornets name is not by far more popular and not going to out sale BOBcat Johnson gear you will lose all credibility. Of course winning would bring some fans but facts show during their lone playoff year TV viewership and Merch sales were near the bottom so apparently not curing all. You people saying it's fickle to want a name that is a TRUE Carolinian nickname are the same people bending over backwards to support a nickname that downs this community. Pick and choose your argument facts are BOBcats average 7,000 TV viewers and are dead last in merch sales and have been even when they had a decent team.

Posted by: CHARLOTTEHornets | Apr 12, 2013 5:40:20 AM

If they change the name and the support isn't there, you can say good bye to this team. Some other city will have them when they are finally good. I don't care what they do, but I don't think the support is truly there. At least not the kind of support that is really needed. People who will spend on tickets. No one with a real job and responsibility has time to spend starting or participating In a social media campaign about a topic like this. The Bibcats hav said to are following the OKC model. Might be following it closer than they think.

Posted by: Symbiotic | Apr 12, 2013 7:01:50 AM

The name change and the team’s record are separate issues.
It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that the Bobcats name - even in its current *Cats incarnation isn’t doing ANYTHING to advance the cause of this franchise. If things remain as they are we WILL lose this team.
Changing the name heals a lot of wounds and gives back what the NBA allowed Shinn take from this City. The Hornets name can change the image, up the positive attitude, increase the “Buzz”- if you will, and allow Jordan and Cho enough space and goodwill to get the team on track.
If Jordan releases this clothing line, makes money off the trend without returning the name he’s made an unforgiveable blunder with his Bee-liever fanbase who DO attend Bobcats games.
I have to believe he is no fool.

Posted by: Tricia Kent | Apr 12, 2013 8:24:53 AM

I supported both teams and will support any NBA team in Charlotte. If the name change generates some excitement that's great. If it coincides with improved play next season that's even better.

One thing that I find rather humorous is the way people reminisce about the old Hornets. One would think that the Hornets must have won multiple Eastern Conference and NBA championships. Fact is they were never better than average or slightly above average in the best seasons. There's a lot of rose color in people's glasses. That's okay I guess.

Posted by: apauldds | Apr 12, 2013 9:08:30 AM

It has been sort of lame reading and hearing about how people think this is a big deal.
As everyone is aware, this will not make the team any better and if people continue to have to watch a last place team, they will tire of the Hornets name also.
$3 Million seems like it would be better used to somehow get some better players here, such as a top center who can actually be depended upon to score some points rather than these retreads they keep moving in and out. Understanding this money has nothing to do with the salary cap, the point is and remains better players are needed, not some color or name change. Cosmetic only, no substance.

Posted by: BD | Apr 12, 2013 10:03:29 AM

As a now 5th year STH I am all for the name change. Just some change excitement as a fan will be good. Plus everyone in this city will give the team a chance at least again. From a buinsess perspective I think it is a no-brainer but at the small mtg they had with STH Fred reminded everyone it has never been done before. No team has moved given up a name and gotten it back in any pro sport.
My guess is they change it but who knows.
On the To Do list:
- Change name
- amnesty TT
- get FA stud for front court- but no baby like Smith.
- Draft Noels
- resign Henderson!!

Posted by: Season Ticket holder for now | Apr 12, 2013 10:10:29 AM

As Raymond Felton said, taking this opportunity to bring back the Hornets name is a no-brainer. The excitement this will generate for all those who used to love the Charlotte Hornets, and even for newer fans who understand the historic connection of this name to the city, plus the increased sales in the rebranded team merchandise, make this a really easy decision.

However, as long as this team keeps going on its losing ways, there's no point in this name change; long losing streaks will kill the initial excitement. Remember, in their last 10 years in Charlotte, the Hornets had 8 winning seasons, and two more at .500.

First, make sure you build up a winning team - roster and head coach - and then, by all means, bring back the buzz! I don't think we're too far from making this happen; if not in 2013-14, then in the '14-'15 season the rebuilding process should finally result in having again a playoffs team here.

Posted by: Sandy | Apr 12, 2013 10:49:13 AM

It's basketball! It's a game! It's supposed to be fun. I know it would be a lot more fun to cheer for the Hornets than the Bobcats. Stop comparing this to your ex wives, ex girlfriends, and some pig with lipstick. Just look at it for what it's worth. Would you have more fun cheering for the Bobcats or the Hornets? Simple question with a simple answer!

Posted by: Fraser | Apr 12, 2013 11:27:50 AM

I think the name change will happen. But if I were Jordan I would make people put their money where their mouth is just to be safe. I would make season ticket buyers buy PSL's or sign a contract for 3 years of season tickets along with a survet of what name they prefer. If the numbers don't add up, give them back their money and keep the CATS name. But 1 big thing that makes me think they are leaning toward a name change is Adam Silva's presence at the meeting. Remember when the Hornets left and commissioner Stern wasted no time getting another franchise back to the QC. He knows what this community is capable of (10 yrs #1 in attendance). Now that the name is available i'm sure the league office would like to see it happen.

Posted by: nucat | Apr 12, 2013 1:55:02 PM

whatever happened to adults paying the bills and not caring about ish like this?

Posted by: charlottean | Apr 12, 2013 5:04:29 PM

All for the name change but PLEASE change the colors. Purple & teal are way too 80's.

Posted by: BCS | Apr 12, 2013 8:11:14 PM

The hornets are a relatively significant name to this city. It is such a better choice. Bobcats were and always be named after a owner that was not liked and done to flatter his own ego. That will always leave a bad taste in people's mouths. I am not a fan of purple of teal but even I know it is time to make the change.

Posted by: CAG | Apr 13, 2013 11:08:57 PM

The Hornets left Charlotte , this is not the same team it doesnt have the same history. The buzz isnt going to make this team better, purple and teal isnt going to make this team better. Im a season ticket holder. Im not a big fan of the Bobcats name either but the Hornets isnt the answer !!

Posted by: Roy | Apr 14, 2013 9:35:29 PM

C'mon Michael!!!...Just Do It!

Posted by: Tim | Apr 15, 2013 1:12:14 AM

Fans in Charlotte are willing to pay the freight...but 9 out of 10 sports fans in Charlotte believe they could have managed this franchise better the past 10 years. And, they probably could have. You can offer excuse after excuse, but it's been bush league. When you buy a ticket to an event, you want a unique experience. A roller coaster. A great concert. A great sports game. Or, at least great players. I would always pay to see Alonzo, Larry, Dell and Muggsy play...even if they lost. The sad fact is that we haven't had an unselfish good team since those days when people were clamoring to see them. Put the Lakers team in Charlotte and you would pack the house. But, that's not going to happen. However, the overall heritage of the first 10 years of the Hornets in Charlotte was amazing. The first 10 years of the Bobcats in Charlotte is poor decisions, wastefulness and mismanagement. I'd rather be reminded of the Hornets heritage in Charlotte any day than the Bobcats'.

Posted by: Raphael Jorge | Apr 15, 2013 9:23:42 AM

HORNETS! HORNETS! HORNETS!

Posted by: Alcore1 | Apr 15, 2013 3:01:38 PM

Winning and a name change are not mutually exclusive! Duh. Hornets!

Posted by: Adrian | Apr 15, 2013 3:42:39 PM