« Charlotte Bobcats center Al Jefferson (ankle) says it's "very realistic" he'll play in season-opener | Main | Charlotte Bobcats guard Ben Gordon out a week after a knee procedure »

October 16, 2013

Exclusive: Michael Jordan on Steve Clifford, Al Jefferson, Cody Zeller and a "comical'' one-on-one proposal

IMG_bobcats.JPG_2_1_HO7MAU2L(2)Hours removed from the owner of the Memphis Grizzlies challenging Michael Jordan to a charity one-on-one game, MJ had a response:

“Comical.”

That’s the word the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats (and Hall of Fame player) used in a brief interview with the Observer Wednesday. If new Grizzlies owner Robert Pera wants to play one-on-one for $1 million to charity (as he said on Twitter), Jordan won’t be his opponent.

“I think that’s comical,’’ Jordan said. “It didn’t make any sense. Why would I play one one-on-one? It’s a no-win situation for me no matter what.”

On more serious matters, Jordan is very happy with the changes his team made in the off-season, hiring Steve Clifford as head coach, drafting Cody Zeller fourth overall and signing free-agent center Al Jefferson to a $41 million, 3-year contract.

On Clifford, the Bobcats’ third head coach in as many seasons:

“I’m so happy about Steve. He’s a very professional guy. Professional in a way that the players can respond. He’s worked with some very good programs. I’ve watched him with the players. He has the right patience and rapport – he knows how to position himself with the players.

“That’s a big move for us because no matter how we spend on players, it starts with the coach. I’m not putting down (predecessor) Mike Dunlap. He had some of the same qualities.”

On Jefferson:

“Jefferson is a great addition. He’s been asked to be a leader on the basketball court. He’s never been asked to do that before. But he has some credence with our guys and I think they’ll respond.”

On Zeller:

“I love Zeller. To me, he’s a connector like (Josh) McRoberts, only more talented. He’ll make teammates better. He’s not flashy in what he does, but he’ll be a really solid player for
us.”

Jeff Siner Photo: Michael Jordan explains the importance of contributing to the community during a press conference at West Charlotte High School on Thursday, March 21, 2013.

Posted by Observer Sports on October 16, 2013 at 03:13 PM | Permalink

Comments

jordan has no balls. lets face it.

Posted by: chris | Oct 16, 2013 3:30:52 PM

It would be a win win for whatever charity the 1 million goes to.

Posted by: James Reed | Oct 16, 2013 3:56:34 PM

He would massacre that guy. If the guy makes one lucky shot that is all people would talk about. I love it when people issue challenges to aging atheletes. It really is comical. I would kill Bob Cousy. Where is he at?

Posted by: Mike T. | Oct 16, 2013 4:00:02 PM

In before Nastar.

Posted by: apauldds | Oct 16, 2013 4:05:53 PM

No one is stopping the Griz owner from giving a million to charity. Just give it or shut your mouth punk.

Posted by: deepenwide | Oct 16, 2013 4:12:01 PM

MJ has never won outside of his playing days ...

but the shoes on MJ
Its the only chance you got....

Posted by: Scott | Oct 16, 2013 5:37:33 PM

Chris drop by and say that to his face....you are disgusting.

Posted by: Hugo Panther | Oct 16, 2013 6:20:26 PM

@ the post by Chris at 3:30:52
Jordan usually shows people what kind of "balls" he has with his crotch is in their face, after he posterized them with a sweet dunk.

Posted by: John | Oct 16, 2013 6:39:08 PM

I am sure I could be Bill Russell.

Posted by: DD | Oct 16, 2013 7:23:08 PM

@post by John at 6:39:08

Or when he's trying to get a MTV VJ to roll dice with him for her virginity.

Posted by: Fred | Oct 16, 2013 10:03:04 PM

For the first time in I don't know how many years, I liked Michael Jordan's comments on the team (and the one on the Griz owner's "challenge", too!).

This is gonna be an exciting season. The team is on the right track.

Posted by: Sandy | Oct 16, 2013 10:14:49 PM

Let me clear it up for you Michael, here's how it looks...

1. You stipulate the winner chooses to which charity the loser donates the $1,000,000.

2. Assuming Mr. Pera accepts Stipulation One, you accept the bet -- 1-on-1 game of 21.

3. You let Mr. Pera score the first 10 points uncontested...

...then you score 21 straight, you win 21-10.

4. You direct Mr. Pera to write a $1,000,000 check to the Bobcats Charitable Foundation.

Michael, surely your not so incredibly stupid that you're going to turn down free money on behalf of your foundation, are you?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 16, 2013 11:04:48 PM

**Jordan said. “It didn’t make any sense. Why would I play one one-on-one? It’s a no-win situation for me no matter what.”**

Seriously? Even Michael Jordan couldn't screw this up. But to him it doesn't "make any sense"? Curtis where are you?

A: you would play 1-on-1 to win $1,000,000 for the Bobcat Charitable Foundation.

Michael, this is a no-lose situation for you, no matter what.

Only a moron turns down a no-risk gift of $1,000,000...

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 16, 2013 11:20:38 PM

OH, WAIT...

...I never considered the possibility that MJ might actually lose to the guy?!?

Could he?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 16, 2013 11:31:28 PM

When you make an estimated 80 million a year in endorsements for having the reputation for being the greatest player ever, why would you step on a court publically at 50? That would be an ignorant business decision. You can do alot more for charity if you continue to earn at that level than you ever could with Pera's 1 million. Looks like alot of pretend businessmen writing on blogs these days.

Posted by: John Stanton III | Oct 17, 2013 6:20:51 AM

^^^Man. My Nastar list is growing.

- Bobcats losing money. Nope
- Won't amnesty Tyrus. Wrong
- Too cheap to change the name. Oops
- Should play Pera one on one. Sorry.

and that is just recent. Who knows what else.

When everything you believe is wrong. The opposite must be right. Please provide your winners for this weekends NFL games Castanza so we can go the other way and make some money.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 9:31:38 AM

John Stanton, please explain how Air Min beating Pera in a $1,000,000 charity exhibition would have any negative effect whatsoever on any other business venture? Please be specific.

Bobslurp, I've really gotten to you havent I ;) You having trouble sleeping? Drives you crazy doesn't it?! HAHAHA! You, are, the ultimate, slurper....bet you're proud!

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 11:33:57 AM

Nope. Just like to point out ignorance when I see it. Consider it a hobby. In your case it takes a few seconds. 20 for this post to be exact. Must be getting to you. Later Castanza. Please forward your NFL game picks.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 12:56:20 PM

Hey Bobslurp...I bet a buddy here $20 that you can't make a post with 2 original thoughts of your own as to why Air Minimum shouldn't play a 1-on-1 charity game for the benefit of the Bobcat Charitable Foundation.

Now I know you hate me and the last thing you want is for me to clear an easy $20, so...

...can you provide a post that proves you can think for yourself? Go ahead, make a cogent case against Air Min cherry picking a $1,000,000 donation for the Bobcat Charitable Foundation.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 1:21:24 PM

Judging from his comments (bragging about his billions in wealth, etc) Robert Pera is a major douche bag a-hole. MJ participates in plenty of charity events throughout the year without having to feed this megalomaniac's inflated ego.

Posted by: apauldds | Oct 17, 2013 1:26:06 PM

I see the Sixers played all their starters in every other preseason but this one. Hope that was for the kids and not because they think we are the past 2 years Bobcats. Got that behind handed to them.

Posted by: David Stern has to go!! | Oct 17, 2013 1:30:31 PM

I see there is a real lack of business acumen here.

Jordan is known as the greatest player of all time. Specifically known for is above the rim exploits and other worldy game. A reputation that has only grown in the 10 plus years he stopped playing. Unlike any other playeri in the history of professional sports, he has cultivated a billion dollar brand around that performance. To step onto a court and unveil a 50 year old version of himself and in any way diminish his image to the consumers that line up for his products would be a massive marketing mistake. He made one when he came back with the Wizards. This would be another.

It can't be any more simple and it is likely what he was referring to. If you can't comprehend that, you should not be any where near any type of business or marketing operation. Especially a billion dollar one built on success on the basketball court.

"Bobcats game brings students, 300 buses into uptown Thursday"

Now this was a nice philanthropic endeavor by Mr. Jordan. Exposing thousands of local kids to his team and brand. Perfect intersection of his businesses.

I have no more time for this. I would recommend pursuing an MBA or finding a mentor if you need to improve your understanding of these types of marketing/business decisions.

Posted by: John Stanton III | Oct 17, 2013 1:51:55 PM

Stanton, that's a load of complete and utter nonsense and you clearly have no understanding whatsoever of the core Jordan Brand customer base. This may be understandable as I doubt you've ever had a fist fight in your life, and I'm 100% certain you've never stabbed anyone.

If your thesis had any merit whatsoever MJ wouldn't be out doing things like this (dunking on 6 yr old kids):

Hey, where did you get your MBA? An Ivy?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 2:19:43 PM

apauldds, what better way to shut him up than put a beat down on him on-court and relieve him of $1,000,000 in the process?

Remember, the $1,000,000 would benefit the kids...

...the kids could use the $1,000,000, right?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 2:23:06 PM

Holy cow. You got completely served. Sure, that makes sense. Go play a one on one game when most people remember that you can basically fly. Dunking on a 6 year old is a little different to playing a publicized competitve one on one game. You are literally always wrong.

I have a prediction. Your next preditcion will be wrong...again. Haahahahahahhahaha. What an idiot. How did Tyrus look today Castanza? hahahhaahaha. I hope people are reading today. This stuff is so funny!

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 3:14:39 PM

Nastar: Idiots like Pera are best ignored. You play into their scheme and pretty soon every idiot wants in. MJ does plenty for charity already on his own terms.

Posted by: apauldds | Oct 17, 2013 3:56:12 PM

Can I play Elgin Baylor? I know I could take him.

Love the cool school game they had today. Much better than playing some idiot like Pera.

Posted by: Mike T. | Oct 17, 2013 5:05:21 PM

applauds, that's a fair and reasoned response, good man. I'm not so sure Pera's an idiot but I can understand your rationale.

Having said that, $1 million is still a huge number to an organization like Cats Care where annual cash donations for 2011 was less than $500,000. Interesting tidbit, in 2011 the "fundraising events" for Cats Cares actually LOST money to the tune of $117,695...nice!!

990 here: http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/200/200946449/200946449_201109_990.pdf

Bobslurp, I wanted to bet my buddy $100 but he wouldn't do it, no confidence in you -- good risk management on his part. BTW, why is dunking on a 6 year old more palatable then schooling a 35 year old in a charity exhibition? You probably didn't see the humor in the Barkley vs. Bavetta race either...

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 5:09:45 PM

You can understand aaplauds rationale? Hahahahahahah. Thanks for admiting what everyone knows. You were Wrong again. Thanks for the info on the Bobcats foundation. You might want to go back to the lesson that Stanton III taught you. Not a good reason for the front man of a billion dollar brand to play against someone no one has ever heard of. Small and simple minded. Can only imagine how many bets you lose to your "friend". HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. This is great comedy. Thanks Castanza. "It's gold Jerry. Gold I tell ya"

I wonder if the Bobcats will change their name. What? They are? Holy cow what a dope you are.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 6:05:19 PM

Bobslurp....Pera one of a handful of current era self-made billionaires before age 35 who didn't inherit, or come out of Google or Facebook. Not surprising that you haven't heard of him but rest assured he is very well known. BTW, for every dollar Air Minimum has, Pera has 4 or 5. Young aggressive billionaires with piles of cash (this Pera, Prokhorov, etc) are going to make His Minimumness (and you) miserable.

Hey, this NASTAR List you are compiling, where do you keep it? A notebook? Do you keep it with you at all times? You really are consumed by me aren't you?

PS...I don't agree with apauldds but applaud him for at least putting forward a logical opinion, something you are incapable of.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 17, 2013 7:15:32 PM

Yes. Pera. People all over the world are wearing a logo designed on his likeness. Holy crap you are beyond dumb. I am sure people every where would recognize him. Right on par with Jordan.

The list is above. I am sure it will grow. I am consumed by your absolute stupidity Castanza. It is almost impossible to wrong as often as you are. You are amazing! Some how you pull it off. Keep it going. Hahahahahaahahahahahahaa. This stuff is hilarious. How can one person be so dumb. Hahahahahaahah.

Yes. Applauds reasoning for not playing him is sound. Stanton's is even more thoughtful. Both prove you wrong again, Hahahahahaahah.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 8:06:14 PM

This is so funny. I can't stop laughing. Hahahahahaahah. Very very amusing. Only thing better would be if people could see you when you write your response with furrowed brow trying so hard to write some thing that won't be proven wrong almost instantly. Hahahahahaahah. Oh my god. So funny. What a moron. I can't stop laughing. Thank you for being such an idiot, Please keep it coming. Yes. Pera is "well kown" Hahahahahaahah.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 17, 2013 8:12:24 PM

Hey Nastar, looks like you have your very own stalker, watch out. Apparently Bleacher Report agrees with Nastar.

What I'm saying is, it's difficult to grasp the "no-win" aspect of all this for His Airness.

Jordan could lose, in which case he wouldn't be a winner. And he'd be out stacks of cash, too. But MJ wouldn't lose. He has six more NBA championships, five more league MVPs and one more Space Jam appearance than Pera.

Even if he lost, charities would still win. Can't Jordan find bliss in helping others?

Posted by: No Dog In Fight | Oct 17, 2013 11:21:50 PM

Hey Bobnet. Be careful. Looks like NASTAR is now stalking you like he is Jordan. Look up hater in the dictionary and his picture is there. He has been stalking and hating on Jordan for quite some time. Thank god he doesn't own a team based on his track record of wrong statements.

Apperantly Pro Basketall talk agrees with Bobnet....

"He’s right. If he dominates Pera he did what he was supposed to do and still doesn’t look like the 1997 Jordan. If Pera keeps it close… that’s not good either."

I am not surprised that most people would not have any clue how to manage the marketing around a billion dollar brand. Especially when it is completely based around the playing reputation of an individual person.

I would not worry about the stalking. No one would ever put their real name or face to the kind of comments he makes. So you don't have to worry about him showing up at your house.

Posted by: Even less of a dog in the fight. | Oct 18, 2013 3:37:46 AM

"If Pera keeps it close… that’s not good either."

Hey lesser dog, explain how that hurts the Air Minimum Brand. Exactly how much of an impact do you think it would have on sales?

No Dog, I hear ya, dude is nuts...or 14....not sure which. (or both)

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 2:45:20 PM

Hey No dog...tough to stalk someone no one has ever heard of like ASSTAR. an anonymous commenter on a blog. The real stalking is defintely ASSTAR on Jordan. He has a real infatuation with him. Probably is why he keeps talking about slurping. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Keep on slurping Castanza. Love the Pro Basketball Talk piece. Much more credible than Bleacher Report. Wrong...Again. Try not to make any more bold predictions to add to the list.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 18, 2013 4:16:10 PM

....and do continue to check back. Glad to see it was so easy to get in your head. Probably because there is so much empty space..HAHAHAHHAHAAH

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 18, 2013 4:17:54 PM

Updated: February 9, 2013, 9:03 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan has been retired from the NBA for a decade, but he warned at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2009 not to count him out from making one last comeback.

"One day you might look up and see me playing the game at 50," Jordan said near the close of his speech, eliciting laughter from the crowd in Springfield, Mass. "Oh, don't laugh. Never say never. Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."

"He wasn't joking," said Jamison of Jordan's declaration at the HOF ceremony. "You hear stories still to this day, especially last year, him going to the practice facility and playing 1-on-1 with the guys and still they can't stop him."

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:27:36 PM

Could Michael Jordan play at 50? His trainer is ready if he does

By Adrian Wojnarowski/Feb 15, 2013 7:39 PM/Yahoo Sports

"I heard that speech differently than everybody else," Grover said. Grover heard Jordan raising the idea of playing in the NBA in his 50s, and that was all the nod he needed to begin preparations.

"If I ever get that call," Grover said, "I was going to be prepared for it. And I am."

"There's no doubt in my mind, that right now, Michael is still the best player on the Charlotte Bobcats," Grover said.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:30:23 PM

POSTED DECEMBER 13, 2012

Bobcats players claim owner Michael Jordan could still play in NBA

BY BEN GOLLIVER

Jordan, who will turn 50 in February, visited his team for a little instruction and shooting competition on Tuesday. Afterwards, Bismack Biyombo and Gerald Henderson told reports that MJ, who retired for the third time in 2003, still isn’t washed up.

“He can still play the game, honestly,” Biyombo said. “The way I’ve seen. I think he can still play the game if he want to. Just 50-years-old going after 25-year-olds. Playing as hard as he was playing. He’s pretty good.”

Henderson co-signed that sentiment in comments made to the Charlotte Observer.

“He’s the best ever to play and he’s still got that competitive nature. He always feels he can help you,” said team captain Henderson. “We played one-one-one. That’s always fun. He wants to win.”

How much does a 49-year-old Jordan have left? “He’s still got it. He can still shoot,” Henderson said. “I don’t know about his defense, but he can still score.”

Bobcats.com reported that Henderson said he “went even” with Jordan in a game of one-on-one, but Biyombo said Jordan “killed” Henderson.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:33:39 PM

All that and you Slurpers are worried about Air Minimum embarrassing himself against one Robert Pera?

lesser dog, come up with any numbers yet?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:36:22 PM

...Tim Glover, his former trainer during his glory years in the Windy City, said: ‘There is no doubt in my mind that Michael is the best player [on the team].

‘If I ever get the call [that Jordan is making a comeback] I was going to be prepared for it. And I am.

‘His skill level was so superior to everyone else, I absolutely believe playing again at 50 is obtainable.

‘Even with what’s diminished by age, by not playing, I still think he is superior to a lot of players out there now.’

Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, expected to develop into an NBA star, backs up that assertion.

The 19-year-old is averaging nine points a game for Charlotte and said: ‘[Jordan] did play me one-on-one one time and it was hard for me.

‘I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.

‘I didn’t think I was going to lose. I mean, he is 50. I didn’t allow him to beat me. Because he is my boss? Nah.’

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:41:08 PM

One more for good measure there.

So Slurpers, His Minimumness is putting beat downs on his own players and you're worried about him taking Robert "Phone Book Vertical" Pera?!?!?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 5:43:33 PM

You really are the dumbest person on the face of the planet. You just officially proved why you are wrong with post after post after post after....

All that information just continued to perpetuate the legend that is Jordan. Any video? Nope. Just second had accounts and conjecture. What does he really look like on the court at 50. No one really knows beyond an occasional dunk. but the myth continues to grow. Wow. Just when I thought you could not be any dumber. Nice work genius. Jordan is playing this perfectly. You think this about beating pera? Thank The Lord above you don't handle his marketing. The myth would have been dead long ago. Absolutely unbelievable. I am sorry. This is not funny. You have the IQ of an acorn. You spent how much time pulling info together that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he should not play anyone in public.

Please tell me you are not involved in any type of business that involves marketing. At least not above teaching a high school class. If it is true that you were fired by the Bobcats. It is pretty clear why. I just hope more people see this.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 18, 2013 6:54:59 PM

^^^^^. Slurp slurp

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 9:15:24 PM

You are good at that. Really seems natural for you. It would be funnier if it wasn't so gross. Still pretty funny. Wpuld have liked to have been there when the Bobcats fired you, Now that had to be hilarious..

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 18, 2013 9:38:06 PM

^^^^ lemming

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 18, 2013 10:32:30 PM

Don't worry. There will another blog for you to comment on soon. This one didn't go so well. If only these things weren't anonymous. You couldn't even walk around town making such moronic comments.

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 19, 2013 5:54:12 AM

^^^^^ never left the county in her life.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 19, 2013 7:48:09 AM

How did it feel to get fired by the Bobcats? You must have been a horrendous employee to get fired by them. Especially before they started to make money. Wait a minute. Now it makes sense. No wonder they were in such rough shape. .

Posted by: Bobnet | Oct 19, 2013 2:40:33 PM

i just feel like I can't relate to the way the guy feels because I like facts and I've never been fired in my life.

I think that's the big disconnect between us.

this dude hates jordan more than his ex-wife, utah jazz fans, sam bowie, and kennedy from mtv combined.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 19, 2013 4:45:02 PM

LOL..... You can't handle the truth!

When does this team get past the 1st round? What year?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 20, 2013 10:10:44 AM

2016. if 2015, it's a miracle. 2016 is on time. 2017 is tardy.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 20, 2013 10:34:02 PM

Well I appreciate that answer. Most aren't willing to give one.

Fact of the matter is at some point the piper has to be paid and a determination of success or failure has to be made.

Other than a couple of us I just can't see where anyone is holding Air Min accountable at all -- the local press certainly isn't.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 22, 2013 3:05:20 PM

One more question, in your opinion is there a current team the is in stage 1 of a rebuild like the Bobcats were in 2011? Anyone just entering the rebuild phase?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Oct 22, 2013 3:07:53 PM