« Charlotte Bobcats' Kemba Walker East player of the week | Main | The night a $5 bettor apparently would have gotten on the Vegas "Black Book" »

February 25, 2014

Ex-Charlotte Bobcat Raymond Felton arrested in Manhattan on gun charges

Former Charlotte Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton was arrested in Manhattan on felony gun charges overnight, according to various New York media reports.

Police told the Associated Press this morning the charges stem from the gun not being registered in New York State. Felton was arrested hours after his current team, the New York Knicks, lost a home game against the Dallas Mavericks.

Felton was charged with two felonies and a misdemeanor during an arrest on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The New York Times quoted a law enforcement source as saying the gun was turned into a precinct house by Felton's wife, Ariane Raymondo-Felton. Felton has publicly acknowledged the couple is divorcing.

The Times story indicates Felton might have threatened his wife with the firearm.

New York State has particularly stringent gun laws. Former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress was sentenced to two years incarceration for accidentally discharging a weapon at a Manhattan nightclub.

Felton, who played for North Carolina, was drafted fifth overall by the Bobcats in 2005. He played for the Bobcats through the 2009-10 season before leaving in free-agency.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 25, 2014 at 06:29 AM | Permalink

Comments

Someone is headed to prison.

Posted by: Truth | Feb 25, 2014 6:51:53 AM

Bobcats PG gets player of the week. Knicks PG going to jail. Sounds about right.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 25, 2014 6:52:51 AM

TAR

Posted by: matt doherty | Feb 25, 2014 7:14:53 AM

HEELS!

Posted by: matt doherty | Feb 25, 2014 7:15:09 AM

The article barely acknowledges his time with the Tar Heels. He probably got his gun from the same guy that supplies current players like PJ Hairston. FATS has got the rental cars and the heat for the BABY BLUE HEELS...

Posted by: Gettleman | Feb 25, 2014 7:53:37 AM

Ray ray must have found the gun PJ threw out the car window during the drug bust in Derm. Those tar heels may not learn to read during their time in college but they sure do learn the thug life.

Posted by: James Reed | Feb 25, 2014 8:08:59 AM

Sounds like a bunch of Tarheel haters on this site. Probably still upset that they lost to Heels last week. Your jokes about people lifes and getting arrested and losing eligibility is only funny to idiots. And being a Dook fan def. have to be one of those. Hope it works out for Ray. Playing for the Knicks this year has been tough enough.

Posted by: panthersallday | Feb 25, 2014 9:12:50 AM

Felton is no thug but the loosing and media negativity against got the best of him dude is from a small town in sc, gl Felton in court

Posted by: Teedog | Feb 25, 2014 9:30:27 AM

Felton is the idiot here. Just another NBA player gone stupid.

Posted by: Go Cats | Feb 25, 2014 9:47:21 AM

Probably headed to the Italian league!

Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2014 11:38:49 AM

If this guy wasn't in pro sports, this wouldn't even be news, much less front page news. And "ex-Bobcat"? Big whoop. Who cares.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 25, 2014 11:40:49 AM

Must be a pretty ugly divorce Ray is going through.

Posted by: apauldds | Feb 25, 2014 12:12:06 PM

Hey James Reed,

You stand up for your thug, man. You didn't go to class either, just like your team. Heels are just average this year, you would think as much as they cheat that they would be really good-

Posted by: Gettlemen | Feb 25, 2014 12:14:57 PM

This is not a crime in 99% of the country, where the US Constitution notes Americas have an inalienable right to keep and bare arms.

Posted by: Ghoul | Feb 25, 2014 12:26:57 PM

Hey Ghoul, the second amendment also gives you the right to bear arms. Except in New York City unless you have one of their super secret permits.

Posted by: James Reed | Feb 25, 2014 1:05:52 PM

We should have kept Felton, Wallace, Jackson, etc. What a team that would have been! Remember those idiots that said we should not have rebuilt? What a freakin joke.

Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2014 1:46:52 PM

^ ^ ^

I'll tell you what's a freakin' dumb joke: it's to imagine that what happens with Raymond in February 2014 has any relevance to the decision not to re-sign him in 2010.
What happened in 2010 was that he went on to play with the Knicks and, at that time, he was doing great.

More relevant, up until now Raymond was known as a great character guy, the opposite of a "thug". You don't know what he's going through now, when you think you can pass judgment on him.

And what does this mess have to do with Gerald W. and Jax?! At THAT time ('10-'11), they were the team's best players.
And, with or without rebuilding, their big contracts with the Bobcats expired anyway in 2012.
Talking about them in this context is totally irrelevant.

I'm really happy with the direction the team is taking now. But, trying to "settle old accounts" is senseless.
Unearthing the management controversial decisions of 2010-11 is as unnecessary as it became irrelevant to the present and future of this franchise.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 25, 2014 4:43:48 PM

I'll tell you what us a freakin joke. It is Sandy assuming that my statement has anything to do with what happened to Felton in 2014. It was simply about that team. A team that was not constructed to be any more than an 8th seed that was pressed up against the cap and had squandered draft choices. If you are happy with the direction of the team now, it is only because many of the decisions they made set them up to be in the position they currently in.

Great character guy? Maybe. I don't know him. Not my concern Although it sounds like his wife would disagree. She likely knows him a little better.

Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2014 7:08:30 PM

Thank goodness we got rid of this marginal over weight player years ago. Bang Bang his baby "shot" him down.

Posted by: lefty | Feb 25, 2014 7:26:15 PM

Just another Tarhole falling in line with his matchbox degree in a fake department. Cheating, lying, and breaking the law....it's the Carolina way!

Posted by: BigJohn | Feb 25, 2014 8:12:22 PM

Very predictable reaction, John. The team we have now is the product of the rebuilding process. Of course, you're stating the obvious, but that was never the point. The point I, and other fans, made repeatedly in the past few years was that this was not the only way to change and improve the team.

We never advocated a "Catholic marriage" to the players who achieved the best regular season in this team's history (44-38, and 7th playoffs seed).
I was always for change and improvement, but gradually, not through wrecking a successful team that generated lots of fans' excitement at that time; people forget easily...

The "wreck and rebuild" process resulted in three seasons ('10-'11, '11-'12 and '12-'13) with a cumulative record of 62-168. 106 games below .500.
One hundred six games deep into failure and futility. If this didn't bother you, congratulations. To me and many other fans, it was an unnecessary and really painful process.

Teams change and can be improved without being wrecked on purpose first, in a multitude of ways of which I wrote many times.
I see no need to rehash this argument, which went on and on between fans for the past few years. I said it before, it became irrelevant now, and it was overly debated too many times by now already.

I just responded to your post (1:46 p.m.), which did nothing but unearth old dried bones. You sounded too pleased with yourself in your rudeness (just have another look at it, see if you're still proud of it) to let that slide.

- - -

I don't know Raymond personally any more than his haters do. What I said was that everything that was reported about him by those who knew him personally showed nothing else but a great character guy.
What he did to be arrested is reprehensible, but it also can't erase everything that's known to be good about this young man.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 25, 2014 9:45:19 PM

Sandy, those folks with deep seated and full-blown anger management issues like John can't be counseled or convinced by even the most simple and logical deductive reasoning. Dereistic thinkers like John are a lost cause so letting him vent until exhausted really is the only advisable course of action.

John, the floor is yours....blast away.

As for Raymond, I bet that gun isn't new and the wife has known about it all along -- wouldn't she be an accessory? Pretty low move on her part.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 26, 2014 10:50:17 AM

Sandy. Thanks for responding to my post and calling me rude.

Wallace at 10 mil a year for 4 years? Uh no. Felton wanted more and got less else where. 15 mil for Chandler who plays when he feels like it. Nope. Jackson. Not worth discussing. DJ? See Felton. Nice work signing Thomas. Still paying for that one. All that with no cap space and no picks. You are right. There is more than one way to build a team. But it is amazing that even with hindsight you can't see it was the right move.

Now they are back in the playoff picture with a younger roster and room to improve with cap space and picks. Really not much to debate.

Good news is that you have NASATAR on your side. That is a positive sign. According to him Thomas is still on the roster and Kemba is playing in Italy. Nothing like having the biggest troll on the Observer website on your side. How could you be wrong?

Regarding Raymond. Who doesn't have an unregistered weapon with armor piercing bullets and a missing serial number.

Gotta go. Headed to Milan to see Kemba play.

Posted by: John | Feb 26, 2014 1:57:21 PM

John, you're restarting an old argument for no reason. Your're totally unaware of your mistakes.

If you paid any attention to this team's dealings - or, at least, to my earlier post - you would've had to notice this: "with or without rebuilding, their (Gerald Wallace's and Stephen Jackson's) big contracts with the Bobcats expired anyway in 2012." EXPIRED ANYWAY. In 2012. Then, in 2012, it would've been time to decide how to best use the room gained under the salary cap. There was no need to break up, and immediately weaken, the team in '10-'11.

Also, if you had paid any attention: you would've known that
1. Tyrus Thomas had little to no merit in the team's ONLY one winning season, and
2. I posted several critical comments on the mistake that was made in 2010, by splurging on his contract; too big a contract for an unproven player.

That was a mistake, which went in the opposite direction of not keeping together, at THAT time, the players who actually were responsible for the 44-38 record.
They have an excuse for not re-signing Felton (he demanded too much in 2010, and we had DJ ready to become a starter), but not with regards to the other top players (Gerald W., Jax, and Chandler).
Tyson Chandler went on from here to become an important piece for both the Mavs' championship team (2011), and Team USA (gold medals in the 2010 World Championship and 2012 Olympic Games).
When they broke up that team and started losing, Diaw also lost any interest in wasting his time with this franchise; that's why he was waived.

Besides, anybody with half a brain understands that I'm responsible for what I write, and NASTAR is responsible for his own comments.
Briefly John, you imagine you're arguing with me (totally NEEDLESS, these issues are all water under the bridge now), but you don't now what the hell you're talking about.

Anybody who reads these comments knows that I support the team in its current direction, whereas NASTAR turns anything positive about this team into an opportunity for another negative comment.

In the previous discussion thread, I posted a comment praising Kemba, and another one against NASTAR's disparaging comment, that Kemba belongs in the Italian league, and the Eastern conference is about similar to the Italian league. I made it clear that this was wrong. Even though it's less strong than the its Western counterpart, the Eastern conference is much stronger than the Italian league. Again, anybody with a half a brain knows this: NASTAR and I are on opposite sides when it comes to the Bobcats this season.

Also, in a whole series of posts during last year, I had only positive comments on the management moves in 2013.

Trading Carroll for Warrick, then trading Warrick for Josh McRoberts, waving Tyrus Thomas, firing Dunlap, then hiring Steve Clifford, re-signing Gerald Henderson and signing Al Jefferson, and drafting Cody Zeller (even though he's a project, but I think this choice will pay off in a few years) -
ALL these were good management decisions that helped improve the team.

This good course on which the team is engaged now has nothing to do with the wanton decision to break up the play-offs team in 2010-11. Remember, I already told you about those contracts that expired anyway.

You're wrong on every single point you tried to make, you argue against things that I never said while you're imagining you argue with me. Evidently, you don't need to agree with me on the '10-'11 management decision; the issue is that you totally misunderstand and misrepresent each and every one of my positions.
As clear as I made this here, I strongly doubt you'll ever get it. If there is one thing NASTAR got right, it's NOT in his comments on the Bobcats this season, it's what he wrote about you.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 26, 2014 3:10:40 PM

Seriously. Hang on to Wallace and let him play out his deal instead of getting 2 first round picks? One that they get to use this year to add even more talent to an improving team. Should we have kept Brown as well who would have continued to push them to mortgage the future at every turn? C'mon Sandy even you don't believe that would have been the right move. So I guess there is some merit to my argument. Pretty defensive response to a post that was not directed at you. It's OK to be wrong. See NASTAR. He has no problem with it.

Posted by: John | Feb 26, 2014 3:57:46 PM

^^^People are not still talking about this are they? Can't really argue the Wallace piece. Guy literally fell apart after the trade and bounced around to 3 teams. I will take the picks thank you. But tearing it all down? not sure about that. I do like where they are at now.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 26, 2014 4:32:33 PM

To any fans who had the misfortune of stumbling upon this unnecessary argument, a clarification:

I have no interest in rekindling this years old debate.
I'm not trying to convince anybody to agree with me on the "wreck and rebuild" process.
Fans had, still have, and will always have different opinions on this issue, and that's not gonna change.

I couldn't care less about this old argument.
That's because all that matters now is the present direction the team is taking, and the opportunities to continue improving it.

What I did above was only to take issue with someone whose arrogance is only matched by the dumbness of his comments (a post on 2/25, 1:46 p.m.). Clueless, but very confrontational. [more examples of dumbness: referring to Gerald W. and Jax in a 2014 hindsight, forgetting that at THAT time - season '10-'11 - they were the team's best players].

I did it without actually going into any details as to what would've been the alternate ways of improving the team - after it was swept in the 2010 playoffs - without wrecking it and bringing about years of misery. This is something I've done more than enough in past years. Now, it's water under the bridge.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 26, 2014 4:59:35 PM

^^^Talk about misfortune. You may literally be the softest and most sensitive poster I have ever encountered. Taking a 4 sentence post not even directed to you and turning it into the above and more. Obviously hit a soft spot, but there are probably many. Thanks for pointing out that GW was the best player. Did you know he was an All-Star too? Brilliant. Also, nice to know there are other ways to rebuild a team. Another intelligent comment. At least you are happy with where the team is now even if you can't come to grips with how they got there.

Glad you apologized for your comments. People should not be subjected to that much rhetoric. Shows a touch of perspective. However you might want to re-read your insult laden posts. Good thing to review with your therapist tonight to determine how something so benign can set you off. Can't be the first time.

Posted by: John | Feb 26, 2014 5:24:45 PM

I think we have an early leader for the 2014 Angry Award!

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 26, 2014 7:10:30 PM

Well all the recent post have been fun....but what is the chance that the cats could possibly get Granger off of wavers?

Posted by: shane | Feb 26, 2014 7:37:52 PM

NASTAR is finally right about something. The anger Sandy has expressed over that comment is award worthy. Way to go NASTAR. Finally got one right!

Posted by: John | Feb 26, 2014 7:46:51 PM

Nice little slap fight ladies. Nothing better to do I assume.

Posted by: Special K | Feb 26, 2014 8:35:10 PM

I like Steve Clifford...the more I hear from him the better I like him.*

I like Big Al...he's truly an elite offensive talent.**

I like Kemba's hustle and enthusiasm...he always comes to play.***

I like MKG...he seems like a good kid, a sensitive kid, and I know he wants to win.****

I like McRoberts...clearly he is extremely intelligent and understands how to "play" basketball.*****

I like Bizmack...his enthusiasm is contagious and the story of the road he's traveled is inspiring.******

I like Cody...clearly he has great basketball genes and I know he too badly wants to win.*******

I like Gerald Henderson...he ever causes any trouble and is clearly a team first guy.********

I liked Michael Jordan as a player...despite attending a competing school nobody was pulling harder for MJ when he was chasing those last 3 rings.**********

=============================

*As they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then and despite his cheapness and complete ineptitude somehow Air Min & His Yes Men found a good one, we'll take it.

**The Promises were (i) repeated forays deep into the playoffs and (ii) a championship contender -- is a 14 year vet that doesn't play defense going to be able to deliver?

***Kemba is undersized and playing out of position. He's undersized at PG, woefully undersized as a 2, and doesn't have the natural instincts of a PG. When/if they get to the playoffs and the game slows down and is half court oriented I believe he will be taken advantage of.

****MKG can't shoot. Come (if) playoff time when points are scarce he will be a liability. If he's only getting 19-20 mins now, come playoff time that number will only drop.

*****McRoberts washed out with 5 other teams, are the Boobs his saviour? Is he our saviour?

******Bizmack is 9th or 10th in the rotation with the Boobs, I guess that's ok, can't hurt us from that far down the depth chart (but it's a disappointment considering where he was picked).

*******Cody, the jury is still out, but for a #4 he sure ain't outperforming -- didn't even get selected for the Rising Stars game.

********Gerald is clearly an intelligent guy...but he couldn't get an offer from another team and is ranked #34 at his position, need anymore be said?

*********As illustrated in the article linked below. Air Minimum is The W.O.A.T. The undeniable W.O.A.T. of all time. This is where the rubber hits the road, ownership -- ours SUCKS.

So, slurpers, hope this clears some things up for you...

...in fact I like all our players, nice guys, well adjusted, just not competitive...

...ownership/management, despise them, useless, incompetent, a putrid rotting pile of management failure -- the W.O.A.T.

Got it slurpers?

PS....John, don't kid yourself a**hole.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 26, 2014 11:01:11 PM

CBS Sports -->> "Jordan hasn't just failed as an exec, he's the greatest failure ever"

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 26, 2014 11:04:58 PM

"Remember those idiots that said we should not have rebuilt? What a freakin joke."

That's as benign as you get, john.

No "rhetoric" here. You are what your posts proved about you: a pompous conceited fool, delivering one stupid comment after another.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 27, 2014 8:37:02 AM

Just saw john's 7:46 p.m. keyboard dropping.
Another stupidity...

If you bother to look at NASTAR's comments right before, and also right after that, you'll know the Angry Award was meant for you. Yes, he got this one right!

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 27, 2014 8:45:11 AM