« Ex-Charlotte Bobcat Raymond Felton arrested in Manhattan on gun charges | Main | Bobcats waive Ben Gordon hours after buyout deadline expires »

February 27, 2014

The night a $5 bettor apparently would have gotten on the Vegas "Black Book"

This has to be the story everyone tells his grandchildren. Tonight I was asked if I’m a card-counter.

I’m not. Let me explain:

I’m in Las Vegas for a couple of days before I fill in for Jim Utter on the NASCAR beat. After watching the Clippers game over dinner, I found my low-limit casino to play blackjack. I hit a bunch of times. Apparently too many times. Twenty-four times in a row, and that draws attention even low-stakes.

When I colored up, a security guy gently, but firmly, asked who I was. I asked why. He told me I had quite a run of luck at the end of a 5-deck stack.

I chuckled. I showed him my ID. Asked him a simple question: “If I was a card-counter, why would I be playing at a $3 minimum table?

He explained to me that since the movie “21,” there are card-counting teams constantly training members in low-limit games. I was shocked and flattered I was targeted to be the “Big Player.”

Posted by Observer Sports on February 27, 2014 at 02:59 AM | Permalink

Comments

Sandy. So YOU put yourself in the idiot category for believing the Bobcats did not go about the rebuilding process the right way and that is my fault? Projecting is another topic to cover in your therapy session. In most cases I would be willing to give you some benefit of the doubt. However having NASTAR in your corner eliminates any possibility that you could be right. Sorry. Have to run to check the box scores from the Italian league to see how Kemba played.

Posted by: John | Feb 27, 2014 8:54:29 AM

I must know where you found $3 minimum tables in Las Vegas in the year 2014.

Stratosphere? Circus Circus?

Posted by: Pauly | Feb 27, 2014 9:31:04 AM

Old Vegas

Posted by: Andy | Feb 27, 2014 9:40:39 AM

You're pitiful, john, repeating your nonsense, and also pushing it into a discussion thread that has nothing to do with the previous one.

So, I'll repeat myself too:

You are what your posts proved about you: a pompous conceited fool, delivering one stupid comment after another.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 27, 2014 10:31:14 AM

This story is so boring. Who care rick you are a small dick that no one likes, yet has a big ego. You are brett Jensen are perfect together. Your story sucks. Your coverage sucks. And I can see why you are divorced. Worst story ever and probably a lie.

Posted by: Marcus | Feb 27, 2014 11:07:47 AM

You and brett Jensen = fired or soon to be fired. You look like a walrus. And I am not surprised you play 5 dollar tables. Making 60k a year as a poor writer, yet acting like a millionaire.

Posted by: Marcus | Feb 27, 2014 11:10:10 AM

Acting like a millionaire outside, yet when the truth comes out, you are just a 5 dollar table guy, divorced with no purpose in life. That's why you share dumb ass stories about yourself. No one cares rick.

Posted by: Marcus | Feb 27, 2014 11:11:50 AM

Sandy. Very funny. Read your posts. Juvenile behavior. You started with the name calling. I was surprised, but not any more. Clearly lacking any perspective or objectivity. Now you are demanding that people stick to the subject of the blog? Wow. You are going to correcting a lot of people in the future. I hope no one brings up any other topics. Talk about conceited and arrogant. Nice to know that all you have to do is disagree with you to fall into this category. Any of this registering yet. Don't worry. NASTAR will step in soon and support you. That will help bolster your position and make you feel better about it. Yikes!

Posted by: John | Feb 27, 2014 11:48:43 AM

Marcus - The story was what any reasonable person would have expected after looking at the title, so maybe look at the title next time and skip the story. As for the personal attacks, they have no place on this or any other blog. They reflect more on the person posting than they do on the recipients.

Posted by: Cats_Fan | Feb 27, 2014 12:22:31 PM

Cats_Fan, I liked your comment.

Some people may know, most probably don't, that through the many years since I've been posting under this blog, I asked repeatedly other fans to refrain from name-calling.

Then, I expanded my call, by asking repeatedly to stop throwing insults not just at other fans, but also at Rick Bonnell and at the team management.

Honestly, it took years until I was occasionally subjected to the name-calling game too (in some personal attacks), and evidently, then too, I asked the fans who have this bad habit to stop.
Did it work? No.

Since then, I learned two things:
1. If you're gonna make your opinions public, expect this kind of crap. I stopped caring about the name-calling.
2. Not caring can't mean giving a free pass to the rude commenters. So, I adopted (just last year!) a new "policy", based on the old wise saying "he who sews wind shall reap storm". Those who step on my toes will get it back, with high interest too, always - even though, to tell the truth, their name-calling can't reach me anymore, I really despise it and don't care about it. Still, I reject giving a free pass for such language.

So, Cats_Fan, I fully support your standpoint, and I wish I could believe that such calls could bring fans' name-calling to an end. Experience shows otherwise...

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 27, 2014 2:40:46 PM

Actually, Sandy, while this current thread has disappointingly dropped to new depths of trolling, it must also be pointed out that Rick Bonnell (or his family/pals) also attacked in the comments posts using various names several years ago.

After he was called out on it on the thread, I don't believe he's done it since. However, I think some contributors stopped posting after that.

Posted by: The Truth | Feb 27, 2014 2:50:54 PM

What the heck happened here?....

Posted by: TheRealJD | Feb 27, 2014 3:03:40 PM

Sandy. You do realize that you were the one that started the "name calling". You at least understand that correct? You were never called out in my original comment. I had no idea what your position on the rebuild was until you took this abnormally defensive position.

Just to be specific. You cannot name call without using a name. An example would be calling Michael Jordan Air Minimum. That would be name calling. Your supporter is by far the biggest name caller in blogosphere.

So a comment that was not targeted to any specific individual is what set you off. Let's just be clear about that.

Posted by: John | Feb 27, 2014 4:04:19 PM

This is the wrong blog to be on if you have any sensitivities. NASTAR alone blasts anyone and everyone that says something positive about the Bobcats.

Posted by: JC | Feb 27, 2014 4:40:32 PM

"Remember those idiots that said we should not have rebuilt? What a freakin joke."
Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2014 1:46:52 PM

"I asked repeatedly other fans to refrain from name-calling.
When I first did this, about six or seven years ago, it was in reference to insults hurled by some fans at some other ones - NOT at me."
"I reject giving a free pass for such language." [from my post, above]

"Let's just be clear about that." [from John's post]

Yes, indeed.

Posted by: Sandy | Feb 27, 2014 5:12:51 PM

The slap fight continues....

That post does not appear to be directed at anyone. Was something left out?

Fight on ladies......

Posted by: Special K | Feb 27, 2014 7:57:08 PM

Cats_fan gives handjobs for money!

Posted by: Marcus | Feb 27, 2014 10:07:48 PM

"An example would be calling Michael Jordan Air Minimum."

That's simply a nickname. Round Mound of Rebound, Dr. J, Magic, etc....nicknames.

All deserving.

John, have your feelings somehow been hurt? What can we do to make you feel better?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 27, 2014 11:29:22 PM

Yes they are. It was disappointing watching Kemba not make it in the NBA and head to the Italian league. I still have not recovered.

Posted by: John | Feb 28, 2014 6:26:54 AM

Don't forget. The Bobcats would also never attract a good free agent. Not sure who that person putting up 20 and 10 is every night or where he came from. But damn glad he is here!

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 7:52:07 AM

Y'all are funny...team hasn't won a damn thing and is under .500 but you're crowing like they've already split the first 4 in the NBA Finals!

I'm a huge fan of Big Al but the casual fan in Charlotte had never even heard of the big fella prior to his arrival. The expectations were that His Minimumness and his attendant Air Aura would lure a superstar, a max player, not "a good free agent".

Again, a huge fan of Big Al but in the blink of an eye he's gonna be in his 14th year....didn't we ship some popular players a few years ago because they were "too old"?

Slurpers, don't lose sight of The Promises:

1. regular forays deep into the playoffs.
2. a championship contender.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 28, 2014 10:10:26 AM

...and MJ was too cheap to amnesty Thomas and change the name to the Hornets. Other NASTAR classics. There were many many more. If NASTAR doesn't think that they can make regular trips to the playoffs, that is good enough for me to be sure they will. If he predicts something, the opposite will happen. It is almost 100%. Start planning the parade. Also, someone please let me know how I can pick up Kemba's games in Italy on satellite.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 10:22:44 AM

"...they can make regular trips to the playoffs..."

That wasn't The Promise -- the promise was regularly advancing in the playoffs....big difference. Do you really believe this will happen?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 28, 2014 12:13:39 PM

Is Kemba in the Italian League? Did Jordan amnesty Thomas? Are the Bobcats changing to the Hornets? If the answer to those questions are no. Which makes you wrong on all three. Then yes. I believe they will regularly advance in the playoffs.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 1:09:54 PM

I should say. If you were wrong on all 3. Then yes. I believe they will advance in the playoffs. Sorry. You have been wrong so often. It gets confusing.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 1:11:51 PM

1. I never said Jordan wouldn't change the name to Hornets -- what I did say was he'd be a moron if he didn't make the change. Even then he was stupid enough to waste a ton of dough and time on hiring a "national polling firm" and made ridiculous statements like "the opinion seems to be very mixed"...which was complete nonsense. He didn't want to do it but the will of the people won!

2. In fact I did not think he'd amnesty Tyrus and still haven't seen a decent explanation of what took him so long?

3. As for the Italian league, is satire a concept that is lost on you?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 28, 2014 4:21:20 PM

I got it. So when you say something ignorant like Jordan doesn't have the money to make it work, even though Forbes says he is making more money than ever, his net worth is only increasing and he is approaching billionaire status then it is satire? OK.

Let me help you. For the Thomas situation, instead of saying Jordan is too cheap to amnesty Thomas. You could have said...I don't think the bobcats will amnesty Thomas. Then when they did it. You could have simply said. I think they should have done it sooner.

Or when you said shorty won't make it in the NBA and will be playing in the Italian league, you could add...Just kidding. That way people can distinguish between when you are serious or just trolling like normal.

If you would like me to handle your posts in the future so it doesn't come off like you are ignorant and constantly wrong, I can do that for you.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 5:23:23 PM

Gerald Wallace out for the season.

Posted by: John | Feb 28, 2014 5:44:58 PM

"...his net worth is only increasing and he is approaching billionaire status..."

Could you provide some numbers to back this up?

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 28, 2014 5:50:31 PM

Maybe you have heard of Forbes. Probably not based on your ignorant comments. I guess you were being satirical. Thank god this site is anonymous. The embarrassments would be endless for you. I guess you can cross this off your list of why the Bobcats will never win. You will just have to make up more. Fortunately they play the 4 best teams in the NBA so you can ridicule them a bit more before they clinch a playoff spot and continue their rebuild.

"NBA teams are also on the verge of a massive cash infusion with new TV deals set to be negotiated this year. The current pacts with ESPN/ABC and TNT are worth $930 million annually and insiders think the next round of agreements will be worth at least twice as much. The value of the Bobcats, which Jordan owns 80% of, was up 30% over the last year to $410 million in Forbes’ latest look at the business of basketball. Mark Cuban thinks every NBA team will be worth $1 billion within 10 years. We estimate Jordan’s current net worth at $750 million. His earnings prowess shows no sign of letting up and should land him a spot on Forbes billionaire list in the coming years"

There is much more to the story if you can figure out how to find it. Offer still stand to handle your posts in the future. It would really help you.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 7:06:49 PM

You're all fired up aren't ya!!

Bet you also believe that albatross of a home His Minimumness owns in Chicago is worth $29,000,000....funny stuff, thanks for the laughs ;0)

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Feb 28, 2014 7:47:55 PM

Yes. Forbes is known for its humor. What a peasant. Or maybe is is satire? Fool.

Posted by: Mike T | Feb 28, 2014 10:52:39 PM

That is classic NASTAR right there.... When Forbes said the Cats were losing money he quoted it like the bible...Now that it says they are making cash it is not to be believed....dude is full sh%t....

Posted by: Real | Mar 1, 2014 7:10:01 AM

Jefferson missed 6 elbow shots last night . Instead of forcing shots not in his area , he should call for his teamates to cut and get the ball to them . He should have 4 assists or more a game on average based on his touches . Kemba must understand he's going to get doubled and must get in the lane and facilitate , not continue to force shots . Henderson can't settle for jumpshots and at times must demand the ball off cuts and back doors . Kemba and Jefferson combined for less than 3 assists I think or thereabouts . This is unacceptable . The help defense out of McRoberts and Jefferson in crunch time was awful .

Posted by: Iron man | Mar 1, 2014 8:04:52 AM

"...after five straight years of heavy losses..."

True. You slurpers denied there were ever any losses...but what else is new. Let's call it $100,000,000++.

"...the Bobcats turned an operating profit (earnings before interest, taxes and depreciation) of $7 million last season."

So slurpers, whadya figure interest expense on $150,000,000 (or more) of bank loans is? Think the bank said "aww heck Air Min, we want you to make a profit, don't worry about paying us back".

"Jordan became majority owner of the Bobcats in 2010 in a deal that valued the team at just $175 million."

Where did the other $100 million go?

NY times says $275 million: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/sports/basketball/18jordan.html?_r=0

NBA says $275 million: http://www.nba.com/2010/news/03/17/jordan.sale.ap/index.html?rss=true

"The value of the Bobcats, which Jordan owns 80% of, was up 30% over the last year to $410 million in Forbes’ latest look at the business of basketball."

Nonsense. Straightlining valuation increases for all teams based on a TV deal by one of the top teams is ridiculous. The Boobs just might be worth $410,000,000 -- IN SEATTLE. Those guys would take the team off Air Min's hands for sure, but only if they could move it. Remember when there were no interested buyers for the Boobs (except Air Min) when it became evident the NBA wouldn't let the team be moved from Charlotte? Just like the $29,000,000 valuation on the Chicago Albatross...$410,000,000 is a pipe dream (and not relevant, can't spend it).

Think what you like slurpers but by NBA owner standards His Minimumness is a pauper...

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Mar 1, 2014 10:22:03 AM

BTW, despite getting out scored by 24 in the 2nd half the boobs competed hard all night long and it was a superb effort by the bench -- might be a couple future starters on that bench.

Clifford is doing a great job. Probably about time for his agent to leak the absurdly low salary I'm sure Air Min signed him for....Clifford really deserves to be paid fairly. Think the boobs will offer him an extension after the season? They should.

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Mar 1, 2014 10:55:40 AM

Dude is sad. Quoting Forbes one minute. Disputing their numbers the next. Little man can't make up his mind. And Seattle would spend 600 mil on a team in a minute. Jordan is straight up crushing it. Bought it for less than people thought. Making cash now and seeing the team soar like a bird. Even NASTAR blog crusade can't stop it. Haters hate. Time to appreciate.

Posted by: Real | Mar 1, 2014 11:44:16 AM

Mike T. helping NASTAR write posts that will not be interpreted as hate....

I was really impressed by the team last night. They played hard against one of the NBA' s best The bench looked good including the recent acquisitions. Some of them could merit consideration to start in the future.

The coach is excellent. Jordan really got this one right. Since it is his first time as a head coach, he is probably being compensated below market value, I would recommend that they extend him and increase his pay. Thank you. NASTAR

Posted by: Mike T | Mar 1, 2014 9:08:20 PM

LOL....you two slurpers are a coupla angry ones.

Delude yourselves all you like but this team has never made a profit as long as Air Min has been an owner (even when he was #2) and if you think a high class food stamps program is going to put Air Min, Yes Co. & Cho on equal footing with exceptionally well managed small market organizations like the Spurs, Pacers and Jazz, well, you're fools.

These clubs built track records of excellence all without invoking the Woe Is Me I Can't Manage My Way Out Of A Paper Bag So Give Me A Handout whining which Air Min was the ringleader for.

The reason they were able to do so is due to the presence of exceptionally smart owners who hire exceptionally smart basketball executives and then get out of the way and let management execute on their behalf.

So, even with the high class food stamps program we have a dummy owner who gives lifetime employment to a guy like Higgins... Whatever the rules Midget Management will always get left in the dust -- this slurpers, is an immutable law in the world of big business, sorry.

Stern putting His Minimumness in charge of a franchise is like AM,YC&C drafting MKG #2, neither possess the skills to justify the selection, shame really...

Posted by: NASTAR99 | Mar 1, 2014 10:47:57 PM

I have to agree with NASTAR99 about drafting MKG with the #2 pick. Andre Drummond is a future All-Star who was selected by Detroit with the #9 pick. MKG is a role player who will give you 1 or 2 hustle plays a game, but is severely limited offensively in what he can do. It is sickening that the Bobcats selected MKG who has no range beyond a layup and the worse jump shot in the NBA over Drummond.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 2, 2014 2:25:10 AM

Mike T NASTAR translator. From the language of an A hole to that of the evolved....

I know Forbes said Jordan turned a profit, but I choose not to believe it. Even though the new CBA has evened the finances between teams he wil still have a challenging time competing with more established small market teams.

Other teams have built there success without the new CBA polocies. Though I realize this it is necessary due to growing disparities between large and small markets. I will give Jordan credit for battling for a new CBA.

I would contend that other teams have succeed is due to intelligent decisions by hiring the right basketball executives. Then allowing them to do their jobs.

Even revenue sharing will not allow you to succeed if you don't make better hiring decisions. Rod Higgins does not have a very good track record yet remains in charge of the basketball team. It has been proven that without the rigth leaders your business will never be successful. This is a fact people.

I do not believe David Stern should have allowed Jordan to purchase this team. It is like drafting MKG. Neither deserved the opportunity in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Mike T | Mar 2, 2014 7:19:40 AM

I agree on Drummond. But he went 9 for a reason. Bobcats were not the only one that missed on that kid. I think Beal would have been a better fit and of course Lilliard would have been great if we are going with hindsight.

Posted by: Real | Mar 2, 2014 9:59:55 AM