« Gardner didn't live up to talk | Main | Be realistic about free-agent RB prospects »

December 28, 2005

Ricky Proehl's final season?

Odds and ends for the final week of the regular season.

- Receiver Ricky Proehl's introduction with the starters before the Panthers' game against Dallas on Saturday sure had the look of a symbolic gesture. Proehl, who was coaxed out of retiring before this season, said he's made no decision about his future. Proehl said he was told by coach John Fox before the game that he would be introduced. Consider that a pretty strong sign that this is Proehl's final season.

- When the Panthers defeated the Falcons in Charlotte on Dec. 4, it was a huge win. It stopped a five-game Atlanta winning streak in games started by quarterback Michael Vick. The Panthers let out a huge sigh of relief when that happened.

But they've got some other challenges to overcome when they face Atlanta on Sunday. The Falcons have won nine of the past 11 meetings and the Panthers have won only once in Atlanta. That was in 1997.

- If you've followed the Panthers this season, you've seen a lot of Sam Rosen and Bill Maas. You'll see (and hear) the Fox television tandem again Sunday as they call yet another Panthers game.

- Former Panthers radio voice Bill Rosinski will call Carolina's game for the second straight week on Westwood One. The broadcast isn't available on regular radio in the Carolinas, but can be found on satellite radio.

- Despite their disappointing season, the Falcons (8-7) have a couple of things to play for. They have a chance for the first back-to-back winning seasons in franchise history. They also have a chance to break the team record for rushing yards in a season. They need 152 yards to top the 2,672 yards they rushed for last season. The Falcons are the only team in the NFL to rush for 100 yards in every game.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 28, 2005 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Comments

As a Bucs fan, I want to see Ricky Proehl OUT of the NFL. The guy has killed us his whole career. He always manages to crawl off the bench & make a huge play against us, no matter what team he plays for.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 29, 2005 8:24:31 AM

You (and I) can't chide Ricky if he wants to retire. It's his life and "It's a free country" still. I'll miss him when he does.

Clutch has been one of my faves since before the downtown Catch the NFL rally I went to about 25 years ago.

I've hated to see him open all those times lately when he wasn't thrown to. Really hated to see that 69 yarder wasted against the Boys `cause our coaches would not trust our offense at the 11 yard line.

My best non-tv memory of him will always be when he and Jake did that perfect dallas?play to beat the Jags starting our run for the Super Bowl.

Good Luck Ricky Proehl, whichever way you go.

Posted by: John | Dec 29, 2005 6:37:46 PM

I forgot about Rock Cartwright as well. For me, I would be happy if the Panthers could sign either Chester Taylor or Rock Cartwright in the off-season to upgrade the RB position. Like I said, go with someone that's relatively young and don't have to worry about having to throw a lot of money their way.

Posted by: Perry | Dec 30, 2005 12:42:31 PM

DA BEARS MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY CRUSHING THE PANTHERS ON SUNDAY.. AGAIN!! HA HA HAAAAA

Posted by: BE SCARED..BE VERY SCARED OF... | Jan 10, 2006 5:28:49 PM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Panthers...........Don't let a couple of losses get you down, we still love you, and stand behind you

Posted by: Barbara | Sep 17, 2006 8:59:10 PM