July 27, 2006
I love Spartanburg, really
In the past, I've taken some heat from the fine citizens of Spartanburg for making an occasional critical comment about their city.
I'm not going to do that this year. Maybe it's the full-service Marriott hotel that opened a couple of years ago. Maybe it's time to be kinder and gentler. Or maybe it's the realization that as long as Jerry Richardson owns the Panthers, they're going to train at Wofford College.
Whatever, I'm looking forward to my month at my home away from home.
The 10 best things about Spartanburg:
- The city's forefathers appreciate middle linebacker Dan Morgan more than people in Charlotte. There's a road called Daniel Morgan Avenue. Next on the agenda: The Steve Smith Expressway and Karl Hankton Blvd.
- The Sake Grill in downtown Spartanburg has the best egg rolls this side of Greenville.
- If I were allowed to be a fan, Spartanburg would be the place to do it. The autograph opportunities after each practice are about as good as you'll find in the sports world.
- The traffic is minimal and you no longer have to watch out for Todd Sauerbrun.
- The casino in Cherokee is only a short ride away.
- From a team perspective, the facilities at Wofford are about as good as you'll find among NFL teams that train away from home.
- At least one night during camp, there's comedy in the Wofford gymnasium when a bunch of sports writers try to play basketball.
- The Spartanburg YMCA always has an open racquetball court.
- The weather doesn't vary. The forecast for every day from now until the end of camp: Hot. REAL hot.
- It's the perfect place to prepare for the preseason trip to Jacksonville. Actually, Spartanburg may have a better nightlife and more cultural opportunities than downtown Jacksonville.
Posted by Observer Sports on July 27, 2006 at 10:32 AM | Permalink
Ow! Jax, take that!
Posted by: Gerald | Jul 27, 2006 2:41:27 PM
Don't let the Top Cats in on the Spartanburg nightlife secrets.
Otherwise, how can you leave out "The World Famous Beacon?" Home of the "Beacon Burger Plate-A-Plenty?" Try the ice cream sundae as well. If you eat both the plate-a-plenty & the sundae, well you're just a pig!
Posted by: David | Jul 28, 2006 12:16:16 PM
The Beacon blows, Sugar & Spice is where it's at.
Posted by: Bobby | Jul 29, 2006 7:12:01 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.