« Panthers have moves to make as free agency approaches | Main | Panthers might have interest in linebacker Fletcher-Baker »

February 17, 2007

For Jake's sake, write it straight

Ran into a friend who works for Fox network during the Super Bowl in Miami. He shed some light into what happened on that-now infamous day last season when Joe Buck uttered something like, "Terry Bradshaw is reporting that Jake Delhomme has played his last game for the Carolina Panthers."

The real story is this: A script writer made a mistake. Bradshaw, who analyzes, not reports, wanted to make an observation. His point was supposed to be that if Delhomme didn’t start playing better, the Panthers might start looking for a quarterback during the offseason. The script writer got carried away and made the item sound a lot more dramatic than it was supposed to.

It got the attention of coach John Fox and Marty Hurney, who angrily disputed the report. Some folks at Fox also were upset and the script writer got some stern words from his bosses.

Posted by Observer Sports on February 17, 2007 at 06:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

Why don't you mail that to two months ago when I might have cared.

Posted by: Timing Is Everything | Feb 18, 2007 1:27:36 AM

did u tell Fox that information would have been useful a couple months ago?
would have been nice of them to say that ages ago and end the speculation

Posted by: cat | Feb 18, 2007 8:20:58 AM

who cares? thanks for the old news.
just another attempt for yaSTINKas to talk about how cool he is. My "friend" at Fox. You are my hero pat.

Posted by: pat's dad | Feb 19, 2007 5:33:58 PM

I would take a long hard look at Shelton and Morgan. Weinke would be in this group. I would make certain that I held on to Keyshawn, who in my opinion is A-OK. I don't envey Coach Fox, but this is a professional team and as such there are some very difficult decisions to make. I feel for Morgan who is great when healthy but at this point he should review his health record and quit. There is life beyond playing football and he should find it.

Posted by: Bob Cue | Feb 19, 2007 10:27:53 PM

An example of journalistic sloppiness on the part of Fox Sports. What else can I say.

Posted by: Adrian | Feb 19, 2007 11:27:32 PM

I would take a real hard look into the near future.In my world Weinke would be goon he proved nothing for three games. Thay shuld consider Three or four QB's that are free agents or a mid round draft. First pick would be LT if avalabal or OSLB. Alot of you how make comments need to think vary carfully at what you are saying,and try to analize the situation. We have a great teem just a littal fine tuning and the reight moves and we will be superbowl bound.

Posted by: Darryl | Mar 1, 2007 9:42:15 AM