« Draft to visit Rams on Thursday, then possibly Bucs | Main | Radio frequency an issue for Panthers D »

March 17, 2007

First-round receiver for Panthers? Sources say yes

Scan the mock drafts out there and most of them have the Panthers using the 14th overall draft pick on a safety, middle linebacker or tight end.

There is another theory making the rounds, and when you consider the sources, you have to give it credibility.

This is the time of year when NFL teams try to figure out what everyone else will be looking for in the draft. People around the league talk to friends with other teams, and it’s also pretty easy to observe which players teams are focusing on at the all-star games and workouts.

The word from several teams with draft picks near the Panthers is that those teams are expecting Carolina to use its first pick on a receiver.

Maybe it’s a smokescreen being sent out by the Panthers, who seem to have much more pressing needs at safety, linebacker, tight end and maybe even defensive end.

Or maybe it’s true.

Maybe Ohio State’s Ted Ginn is sitting there at No.. 14 and the Panthers can’t help but take a speedy receiver with the potential to be a top return man.

As a receiver, Ginn could be brought along slowly behind starters Steve Smith and Keyshawn Johnson. Drew Carter also will figure into the mix. But, Carter can become a free agent after this season and Johnson might only play one more season. If that happens, drafting Ginn could pay off big in 2008.

For now, we’re going to stick with the theory that the Panthers will draft a safety, a spot where they need a starter in 2007, which is the only year coach John Fox and general manager Marty Hurney can afford to worry about at this point. If they really want a receiver, that can come in the second or third round.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 17, 2007 at 05:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

Great story Pat!

Posted by: Steven | Mar 17, 2007 7:08:21 PM

There is no way that the Panthers pass on Nelson, Griffin, or Willis. Although, I believe if they are gone, Timmons from FSU (can play all LB spots) would be worth a look.

Posted by: Steven | Mar 17, 2007 7:09:57 PM

This is my mock draft and ONLY God and his Son Jesus christ how big and how true this could happen and i dont want any doubter talking about this if you can't be postive then pray to God that you will so become one.here my list of name we might have to make some or alot of trade but with God antthing is possilbe if you believe me say amen if you dont well i hope you get saved. so here my list
TED GLENN JR
TONY UGOH
ROY HALL
CHRIS LEAK
ERIC WRIGHT
WARRICK JOHNSON
Jason Hill
and we can get all or need like i say in Jesus name anything is possilbe and i beleive that the panthers has to have neds to make this draft happen and it will.
Now it not in perfect order but I PRAY TO God everynight to answer this pray so if you are a doubter please keep your comment to your selve for your not going to block this blessing GOD and his son JESUS got for the CAROLINA PANTHERS GOD BLESS AND HAVE A BLESS DAY IN JESUS NAME

Posted by: Jackson | Mar 17, 2007 7:34:00 PM

That's a nice prayer request and I'll agree with you, if you'd like, but what if some other person is praying for their team to get these guys, then what?

Just a thought!

Posted by: Brandon | Mar 17, 2007 7:57:13 PM

I hope that was a parody, because, man, if not, you need some perspective.

Here's a hint. Jesus Christ probably couldn;t give a flip about NFL football. Just a hunch. Seeing as how we continue to kill each other and children continue to starve, I don really think NFL football is foremost on His agenda.

Posted by: DrFrankLives | Mar 17, 2007 9:04:26 PM

Yep, quite scarey really. Good comments about perspective & Jesus likely not giving a flip. I think he has more important things on his agenda than the Panthers. How about we pray for each other & the world & just enjoy the Panthers?! :-)

Posted by: PantherAttax | Mar 17, 2007 10:39:04 PM

Enjoy the Panthers! AMEN!!!! Also The Good Book does say If you don't ask for help you won't get help. I guess wouldn't hurt... But I would put it at the bottom of the Priority List.
I said it the other day Panthers taking a WR at 14. I'd bet "Harrington Is coming to Town" and that will be it, Will officially be DISGUSTED!!!!!! WR at 14, WHAT are they thinking!!!! The Future, WELL THE FUTURE IS THIS FALL!

Posted by: bt | Mar 17, 2007 10:59:23 PM

I just got dumber by reading these comments.

Posted by: Lee | Mar 17, 2007 11:34:26 PM

Can you say smoke and mirrors boyz and girlz… this is nothing but a façade. The glaring holes we have to fill at Safety and Middle Linebacker are so pronounced that we can’t afford to entertain the thought of adding to our four deep wide receiver set of Smith, Colbert, Carter, and Johnson. Do we need special team help? Yes!!!, but not in the first round. I do like Ted Ginn Jr. but I also feel anyone taking him in the first round would be a mistake… very early second, but not the first. He’s more of an athlete than a receiver not a polished route runner, undersized but has heart and speed, hell even Devin Hester was taken in later rounds. Remember it took Steve Smith almost three years to develop. I believe that he’s a bit over hyped… but that’s just me. If we address our Free Safety position with Ken Hamlin or Middle Linebacker position (I’m hoping for Briggs) then the possibility of drafting a receiver increases... but I would go OL and TE before that.

Posted by: Caro2daheart | Mar 17, 2007 11:40:08 PM

Good news Cato June just signed with the Buccaneers which only leaves one of the top 30 free agents left which is (Drum Roll please)… Ken Hamlin. So we should know within the week (hopefully) if we’ll actively pursue a Safety in the first round or a Middle Linebacker.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Posted by: Caro2daheart | Mar 17, 2007 11:52:50 PM

Caro2daheart
I hope you are right!
I am afraid that painfully watching Fox and Hurney, Offseason and Fox During season, The Passive aproach they have taken and just head scratchers(Morgan, Rucker over Wallace, Witherspoon too leave us in a nasty hole, slow too adjust during the games, Jamal Robertson one of the most productive kickoff return guys gone, No tight end Plan to help offense, even when Delhomme is getting sacked and sacked again, Pitching the ball into backfield telegraphing the play, No shotgun with Delhomme. Etc. Sorry got carried away! ). That they will take the path of least resisstance and take what is there, like they have with the opponents defense during the season!

Posted by: bt | Mar 18, 2007 12:42:32 AM

Cato June's gone of the board, and here is the Panthers always sleeping in free agency, but then again I think we will get Ken Hamlin, and I think there is going to be some sort of splash in free agency and something is brewing. Anyway I hope somehow we get Hamlin, hes a great safety and we need him. Hes young and good. So in the draft look for us to get if Avalible Laron Landry or Ted Ginn Jr. Think about this.. Landry can sit on the bench for the first year, and learn our system and be a utility spy for our team, and then after we let Minter go next season he Hamlin can move in his spot and Landry can go to his old position. I think that is the smart move here..

Posted by: Al | Mar 18, 2007 1:23:21 AM

caro2daheart, why would you respond to your own question?

Posted by: knox11 | Mar 18, 2007 4:11:26 AM

Its realy good to hear fans put trust in the Lord,That is wonderful! But God is a rightous God he dose not pull for one team anymore than the other, he loves everyone on every team. We all have to sew into our talents in order for them to grow to what has been given from God. Now as far as Smith he is far the best WR in the NFL,the reason others WR sometimes tends to have success is because of the talent around them,But Steve Smith record is better,Think what can happend when the talent around him is better,lets not forget who we are talking about,some still want to let go of all the Panthers and start all over,because of 2006,I have gotten past that,but for those who can not be convinced until you see progress,cant blame you on that neither.Soon we will all see the out come!.

Posted by: 1# Fan | Mar 18, 2007 12:47:49 PM

I don't believe that I did... it was an additional statement, but thanks for reading.

Posted by: Caro2daheart | Mar 18, 2007 1:58:09 PM

Jamal Robertson "one of the best" at returning kicks? Hardly, with a career avg. of 22.8 and a career long of a 49-yarder.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Mar 18, 2007 2:13:40 PM

Has anyone heard if Hamlin has or will come to NC for a visit? Also I don't know about you all, but I am glad the Buc's got Cato June. The way he tackles we should average over 100yd/game rushing against them.

I hope we get Hamlin, then can be more flexible with our draft.

Praise God when we lose and when we win. "Facing the Giants" - great movie

Posted by: Will | Mar 18, 2007 3:46:15 PM

Why would want you Hamlin? The guy can't cover a receiver. that's why Seattle UFA'd him. Hey, what about you guys sign Jerramy Stevens as well. Take another under-performing free agent off the board. While you're at it get an offensive line to protect your battered harrassed QB.

Posted by: sfhawker | Mar 18, 2007 5:17:45 PM

This is Jesus, the One true Savior. Tedd Ginn is hiding a lins franc injury in his foot and therefore would not be worthy of a first round choice, just like you peon panther fans aren't worthy of my blessing. The Panthers need help on the defensive line, anyway. Now stop bothering me. I have to spread more starvation and disease in Africa.

Posted by: Jesus | Mar 18, 2007 5:30:20 PM

the panthers are going Tight end..Greg Olsen out of The U would provide a great option for stretching the middle of the field and keeping the safeties at home instead of cheating over the top to double team Smith. our new offensive coord. nows a litle about the value of a fast, soft handed tight end...Winslow had a strong season in Clevland this past year....the Bowe kid out of LSU would be a solid choice as well.

I am with the other entry...their patient approach means something is brewing come draft time.

Posted by: Heath | Mar 18, 2007 8:07:58 PM

IMHO: With 21 of 22 starters returning, the Panthers are laying low in free agency to save cap space for next year. There will be a lot of core players becoming free agents after this season. Following this trend they will trade back in the first round of the draft at least once and perhaps twice for more second and third round picks. The salary cap hit is much less for late first, second and third round picks compared to early first round picks. However, there still will be plenty of starting calibre talent available in the second round, just at much reduced cap cost. With the cap going up next year and keeping a lot of cap space this year, the Panthers will be able to lock up a lot of players after this season and go on the shopping spree like the one we see the Patriots doing this year.

Posted by: Curtis | Mar 18, 2007 8:33:55 PM

i don.t matter what we think fox and martey suck at keeping the right guy or draft pick sorry peppers but...any fool knew he had to be #1

Posted by: gopanthers1 | Mar 18, 2007 9:28:27 PM

Procton
Jamal Robertson
Was better Than Rod Smart and Williams, did not say the best, Most Productive out of what we have had.. What was Smart avg. and Williams This year I believe we were 25th or worse. Smart or Williams we were lucky to make it to the 20, Less Than 22.8.

Posted by: bt | Mar 18, 2007 9:52:04 PM

Looking at a 8-8 team what core guys your talking about.Only peppers job should be safe.

Posted by: Damon Benjamin | Mar 18, 2007 11:44:58 PM

Rnd1: OLB - Lawarence Timmons

Rnd2: OT - Joe Staley

Rnd3: SS - John Wendling

I'd be happy with these players.

Now as for the bizarre comments about God, let me just say that all we can do is guess as to whether or not God favors one NFL team over another. To say God doesn't care football or the Panthers, is just as much of a guess as saying He does care. We all have no idea. You may guess whatever you like, but it doesn't change the fact that we don't know or understand the mind of God. It's possible God uses divine power to aid the Panthers every Sunday. It's also possible that God doesn't care about, or even hates the Panthers. It is not more likely that God doesn't help NFL teams, both guesses are equally unknowable.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 19, 2007 1:20:49 AM