« Carr taking unique free agency approach | Main | Inside the Panthers will return next week »

March 31, 2007

Oddsmakers not impressed by Panthers

Swung by Las Vegas on the way back from the NFL meeting in Phoenix. The Final Four, obviously, is dominating the sports scene out here. But I checked out the NFL odds at Ballly's Sports Book and saw that the oddsmakers think the same way about what the Panthers did last season and in the offseason as their fans.

The Panthers, who were a Super Bowl favorite last year, are viewed as a middle-of-the-pack team in 2007. Back in January, they opened as a 25 to 1 favorite to get to this year's Super Bowl. After a quiet offseason, their odds have dropped to 28 to 1.

The Patriots (7 to 2), Chargers (4 to 1) Colts (5 to 1), Bears (8 to 1) and Ravens (8 to 1) are the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Carolina's odds to win the NFC Championhip Game are 15 to 1. The Bears (4 to 1), Saints (5 to 1) and Seahawks (5 to 1) are the favorites to win the NFC Championship Game.

Now, back to basketball.

Posted by Observer Sports on March 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

The Panthers need on field leadeship you can see on TV like noticed by other teams on TV who end up in the playoffs.

Posted by: Richard Lloyd | Apr 1, 2007 6:34:50 AM

The Panthers neeed the underdog role to have a good year. They need to have something to prove. If they don't they have a year like last.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 1, 2007 7:53:03 AM

What, you get to expense your vacation as a business trip by writing what anyone can get on the web. Call the IRS!!!

Posted by: Steve | Apr 1, 2007 8:17:11 AM

isn't winning the NFC Championship and getting to the Super Bowl the same thing? Why are the odds different?

Posted by: Josh | Apr 1, 2007 9:00:06 AM

we will be fine thats how they do.every other year there great then when vagas knows it they suck super bowl bound ....

Posted by: Brad | Apr 1, 2007 9:23:02 AM

See where Carolina's great odds got them last year? Why is Las Vegas odds even worth mentioning? Means absolutely nothing. Keeping players like Steve Smith and Peppers and adding key role players are the things that will put us back in the Super Bowl - not whether we are 25 - 1, 28-1 or 10000-1 odds.

Posted by: ncriptide | Apr 1, 2007 10:16:48 AM

"Who cares what the Odds are,It dosent mean that they are right,Ask the Odds this,How come when a Team has the best record Lose the Super Bowl?.

Posted by: #1 Fan | Apr 1, 2007 11:59:34 AM

All Panther fans have high hopes and expectations year in and year out... and they should! The NFL is kinda like the SEC in college football. The SEC...any team on any given Saturday. The NFL...any team on any given Sunday. THAT is what makes football so GREAT!

Posted by: Bear | Apr 2, 2007 12:10:24 AM

When are the panthers going to get a large running back to get threw the line?Until then, middle of the pack!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Robert | Apr 2, 2007 12:29:34 AM

Through our short history we have been better when we were under the radar anyway, so thats how I would like it to be. With the expactations so high last year there was a lot of pressure on the team.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 2, 2007 12:58:42 PM

Drink the Kool-aid...we will be fine. It's all under control. Put the same team out there and we will get better results....believe it, count on it, bet the house. Place your bets, boys.

Posted by: Robert Wilkins | Apr 2, 2007 1:09:49 PM

as long asfox stays in love with jake the fake we wont be a middle of the pack team but everleague needs a good foundation--like last place

Posted by: john | Apr 2, 2007 6:21:31 PM

I agree with Patrick. I think we do better when we are not expected to. However, I seriously think that we can improve rather than get worse. The tools are there and now the attitude will be visible as well. The Panthers know it's a crucial season for most of them, including coaching staff. The preassure will mount on those who are trying to make a good first impression, and those who took risks towards the 07 season. It's time to shine...not hide. Go Panthers!

Posted by: Ralph | Apr 3, 2007 9:37:53 AM

I totally agree with the Carolina Panthers NFL Insider...I've seen the same stuff with CMS and Dr. Gorman and I am furiously and vociferously indefensible about the whole matter. We must prevail and attack these forces.

Vilma Leake (no relation to Chris)

Posted by: Vilma Leake | Apr 3, 2007 10:46:31 AM

Great teams come to play every day! They don't have to have their backs against the wall to bring their A game, so yes, it bugs me people say that Carolina needs to be looked down upon before they'll show up. Come on!

The real problem with the team last year was injuries to the line. If we can stay healthy, I expect good things.

Posted by: Todd | Apr 3, 2007 3:42:38 PM

Carolinas NFL Insider
Let me in on what exactly you are saying or someone else, explain it too me?

Posted by: bt | Apr 4, 2007 1:57:42 AM

I love sports because it's a great escape from Washington and Raleigh politics and the other real problems of the world. Some of the comments that have been posted on this forum strongly suggest that something untoward is going on with Jerry Richardson and the Panthers organization. These vague and ambiguous allusions to nefarious activities are probably just the silly ramblings of a few people who have been passed over by the Panthers because of a lack of ability, a lack of character or both. If you have an accusation to make, please be specific and maybe you'll be taken seriously. Otherwise, can we just talk about football?

Posted by: Kenneth Irving | Apr 4, 2007 2:08:22 PM

Seriously, CPNFLI...what?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 4, 2007 10:53:03 PM

I HEARD JERRY IS RUNNING A PROSTITUTION RING

Posted by: JT | Apr 5, 2007 8:50:47 PM

Hey ya'll

I'm from Houston, and I thought I'd drop you guys a line to let you know that David Carr stinks. He is a tanning bed, pretty-boy, panzi and ya'll better hope Delhomme does good and stays healthy. Trust me.

Posted by: Luke | Apr 7, 2007 12:58:26 PM

Yeah, Luke...though his manicures sure didn't look real good during the game when his o-line let him get dropped on his back half the time he dropped to pass.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 7, 2007 2:07:25 PM

What's up with the Carolina Panthers NFL Insider? Get a life. If I knew of a crime and had evidence, I'd call the cops. If I had no proof, I'd shut the hell up. But what kind of guy posts it on a blog. Her's something I have a feeling everyone already knew: All NFL Owners are all about the money, and most of them are dirty. On Sunday, though, I just want my boys to win. I'm not impressed with signing David Carr unless he proves to be a good QB in the future, but I don't see it happening. I'm more focused on the draft than Insider's bitching. I hope we get Olsen and I think Willis is going to Buffalo.

Posted by: charlson | Apr 9, 2007 11:33:41 AM

Dear Insider Nut Job, please describe the PROOF you have of laws that were broken. You go on and on but don't say what was done. Sounds like you got fired and have some serious sour grapes.

Posted by: T | Apr 9, 2007 5:39:28 PM

Holy freaking Moley!!!

Are you the same crazy fool chasing Jake Delhomme around?

At least Steve Smith wasn't listed as one of Richardson's hooligans!

Is this some kind of freak joke? It reads like The Electric Koolaid Acid Test...

By the way you forgot to include the "My socio-human sub monkey brain saw the electric banjo man point lighting eye bolts at my bingo player fingers," clause of the Federal Anti-Corruption Psycho Article.

Posted by: Goodtimepete | Apr 10, 2007 11:47:38 AM

One of her e-mails was written just after Happy Hour, the other one right around Last Call...

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: Goodtimepete | Apr 10, 2007 11:55:29 AM