« Value at 59 may be at DE | Main | Johnson fills DE need. Next up: S, PR »

April 28, 2007

Kalil really was 'best available'

For once, the Panthers really did draft the "best available player''. The pick of Southern California center Ryan Kalil had nothing to do with need. That's because the Panthers already had three guys who can play center in Justin Hartwig, Geoff Hangartner and Will Montgomery. Now, they've got four and even more flexibility on an offensive line that already had some depth.

The run on defensive ends right before the Panthers picked left them without any prospects at that position. Or at safety. Kalil was, by far, the best player available.

Now, the Panthers just have to find a place for him on the field. Oh, keep one thing in mind: Kalil also can long-snap. Veteran long-snapper Jason Kyle is costing about $900,000 toward the salary cap.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 28, 2007 at 09:12 PM | Permalink

Comments

Man I would hate to see Jason Kyle get cut. But if Kalil can play center or guard, as ESPN claimed, that's nice flexibility. But he sounds like a very heady player, and that sounds like a center to me.

Posted by: Darrin | Apr 28, 2007 9:19:38 PM

Amen...and though Kyle's been a good soldier for a long time, any time you can save the money and a jersey for somebody who actually DOES something other than LS-ing, that's a good thing for your football team.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:21:06 PM

What in the world? Four deep at center? That's just what we need. No DE depth, No starting Safety. No LOT depth. No kick returner.

But, hey, we've got yet another player that can play center. Sounds good to me.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 28, 2007 9:21:53 PM

We really need to keep Jason Kyle as long-snapper... he's by far the best in the league at that position. (He also used to be my next-door neighbor for a couple of seasons... he's a good guy.)

Posted by: Clayj | Apr 28, 2007 9:24:22 PM

Waah, waah, waah...how do you argue with 3 guys with grades well above their pick slots? If we pick up a premiere center for the next 10 years (which many have said he can be), you won't be complaining then.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:26:09 PM

There's nothing wrong with drafting the best available player....unless you have 3 people deep at that position. DE and Safety are MUST gets! Having 4 centers isn't going to help us on a depleted defense

Posted by: Jake | Apr 28, 2007 9:26:17 PM

Please explain to me the difference between the best and the worst long snappers in the league. He's earned his keep, but at some point, football and finances have to outweigh sentiment.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:27:47 PM

What a worthless draft!! Trade down in the 1st round and lose any chances at a quality safety, picked up 2nd rounder and use it on another OL?! No need at ALL for another center. Complete waste of a 1st rounder!! beason the bust, 4.8 40?? Slow and short LB, now there are no safeties left. Dwayne Jarrett = next Keary Colbert. Get rid of the front office...and Fox too to clear the way for Cowher!!

Posted by: Pissed off | Apr 28, 2007 9:30:28 PM

Panthers don't want to win. No offense Jake needes help. they take another crook from Miami. Henning not as much problem as Fox is. SO JUST MORE OF THE SAME. Live in the past and no win,. 3 yards and a cloud of dust went away with Woody Hayes. Fox needs to move along just like Woody

Posted by: Joe | Apr 28, 2007 9:31:15 PM

Down goes Piscitelli...20 picks is a long time to keep our fingers crossed on Rouse and Gattis.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:32:08 PM

Thus far we have drafted what I consider quaility some quaility players. However, it still concerns me that we still have no S or DE and I fear that the talent level for those positions will begin to drop rapidly. I feel we will be alright with Jeff King at TE.
Anyone know of the FA prospects at S or DE?

Posted by: Juan | Apr 28, 2007 9:32:36 PM

Beaon has game speed...apologies for his knee injury during the combine. Dwayne Jarrett will be an 800-8 TD receiver in 3 years. And please tell me how Beason is a "crook".

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:34:02 PM

Best 2nd round pick according to ESPN's NFL Tonight: Ryan Kalil

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:35:53 PM

It has been literally YEARS since Kyle muffed a long snap... and I can't remember the last time someone got past him (since he's the center) on a field goal attempt or punt.

That's what I mean by best in the league.

Posted by: Clayj | Apr 28, 2007 9:36:47 PM

Beason was a good choice with what they had available. He's a solid LB who plays good run D.

Jarrett was a steal at that number and the Panther's needed a WR.

As for the Center pick...Yeah we could have gone with a DE, but picking any safety available with that pick would have been stupid as they will easily be available in the next rounds. Adding depth to the O-line isn't a stupid move, and so far...besides the "fans" I haven't seen any other analyst on any site thinking these were horrible picks. Better to pick a solid player than one that's overrated for that pick

Posted by: mark | Apr 28, 2007 9:38:31 PM

People are way to quick to judge this draft. I bet the same people that are pissed of about the way this draft is going loved it when we took Timmy B., but they never will admit it. We have taken great value guys and now we have a little more talent on our offense of line we can always use that.

Posted by: Billy | Apr 28, 2007 9:43:30 PM

Why are the "Posted" times 3 hours behind?

Would like to have had Piscitelli.

Posted by: Juan | Apr 28, 2007 9:43:45 PM

AMEN...nice to see a fan who's not on the bandwagon every third Thursday.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:44:03 PM

The company that runs this blogging service for the Observer is probably based in CA.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:46:26 PM

Funny thing about drafts... I remember when a certain Carolina Head Coach took an undersized guy from Utah in the third round of the 2001 draft. Everybody immediately jumped on it as being an absolutely horrid pick. Not only was he "undersized", but while in school he really more of a return guy than what he ever was a receiver. I remember everybody saying... why in the world would we ever spend a third round pick on an undersized punt returner. I may be wrong, but I -think- #89 has turned into a better than average receiver. As I said... funny thing about drafts.

Posted by: rlw | Apr 28, 2007 9:51:30 PM

Geez, Procton, are your knees getting tired yet?

Okay, I thought the Jarrett pick was decent. Not great, he could be another Keary Colbert, easily. But at least the front office didn't get confused and picked the right receiver, a taller and more physical type to complement Smith.

Call me a dumbass or whatever, but I promise you this Beason pick is not going to pan out. I have watched a lot of Hurricanes football over the past few years. You'll see.

The needs coming into today were 1 - a safety who can start from Day One. 2 - a fast DE who can keep Peppers from getting mauled every down by double-teams. 3 - a middle linebacker to replace Morgan after the first half of the first game. 4 - a big possession receiver. 5 - a tight end who can catch.

The only position that absolutely needs to start from the first is a free safety. Reggie Nelson was sitting right there. The best centerfielder-type safety in college football last year, bar none. Laron Landry? Big guy, good safety, but still has cleat marks on him from guys like Kenny Irons, Tim Tebow, etc etc etc. It was just stupid not to take Nelson at that spot.

Barring that for whatever reason, at least take a DE. Shoot, stay with the Gators, the best college team in the country in 2006. Jarvis Moss was sitting there too. Or pick a good one with the second.

The LB or the TE will be there in the 3rd, don't need a full-time starter right away. Too bad we couldn't deal Jenkins and pick up another high pick or two. That doesn't bode well if no one showed interest, I don't know.

Maybe not the worst draft ever, but if we end up paying 1st-round money to a back-up LB and ST player, and used the other first-day picks on another tall, stiff receiver with hands of stone like Colbert, and our FOURTH center, it will sure come close. Sorry, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, and I'm getting a little tired of forking over all that money each year. Oh well, at least I get a good tan on Sundays! :(

Posted by: Pete | Apr 28, 2007 9:56:58 PM

Yeah, I remember when we drafted Steve. Event all the announcers, including Kipper, said we reached for that pick and thought it was horrible.

As for Beason. I'm concerned because it says he is injury prone. That worries me we have Dan, Jr. Two great LB's but neither can play a season. I'll just hope I'm wrong and he lives up to a 1st round player.

Posted by: Brady | Apr 28, 2007 9:59:01 PM

It's good to see guys like Michael Procton posting here, he makes all of us sound smart. It's amazing how much he knows, wonder why he's not an NFL head coach?

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 28, 2007 10:06:18 PM

Hey, if you're getting a tan, that's better than the majority of lower bowl owners, who are back on 85 by the time beer sales end.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 10:06:30 PM

Hey now, some of us lower bowl owners don't drink beer... and we stay all the way to the end of the game and then walk the six blocks home.

Posted by: Clayj | Apr 28, 2007 10:13:46 PM