« Johnson fills DE need. Next up: S, PR | Main | Free agent pickups trickle out for Panthers »

April 29, 2007

Take a shot on Chris Leak?

Just a random thought as we're sitting here waiting for the next pick by the Panthers: If Chris Leak is available when the Panthers pick in the seventh round, why not take him?

Yeah, the Panthers don't really have a need at quarterback. But the seventh round is nothing more than a roll of the dice, anyway. Drafting Leak, a Charlotte native, would win the Panthers some points with their fans, even if he doesn't make the team.

Leak's lack of height is the reason he wasn't picked higher. But he's only an inch or so shorter than current No. 3 quarterback Brett Basanez. Plus, Leak's got a national championship at Florida under his belt and a lot of big-game experience.

Taking a seventh-round shot on Leak would be a no-lose move by the Panthers.

Posted by Observer staff on April 29, 2007 at 01:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

If he's there at that point, he won't get drafted. I'm sure he'll sign with the Panthers before anybody else. A potential 3QB will have no impact on your squad in the next year. At least get somebody who can play special teams.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 2:05:09 PM

hell no.
championship experience doesnt mean anything. Look at chris weinke.

Posted by: andrew | Apr 29, 2007 2:10:36 PM

Tim Shaw was a good pick at this point in the draft. Crazy as it might seem, maybe they're thinking about moving TD back to safety.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 2:16:10 PM

Drafting a quarterback you don't need is a great idea if there's no one else left who can make your football team.

Posted by: Panthermark | Apr 29, 2007 2:17:34 PM

They are not thinking about moving Thomas back to saftey , It is already decided, or they would have taken a saftey by now.

Posted by: will proffitt | Apr 29, 2007 2:21:47 PM

Okay, I can moving TD back to safety... but how many times are we going to move this guy around? It got to be a learning curve.... at some point.

Posted by: Doug | Apr 29, 2007 2:27:03 PM

dont we already have 3 qb's under contract?? Leak would be a waste of a draft pick, but yeah, he'd be worth a shot in free agency I suppose. I'm really impressed with todays picks, that KR sounds really good and the FB/TE from Oregon will be a great fit for the offense, and the LB from Penn St. adds insurance to the shakey lb core. I dont think Thomas Davis will go back to safety, although it is possible. I just think they will give nate Salley every opportunity, or they may bring back williams or just wait until the next wave of cuts following the draft.

Posted by: MM | Apr 29, 2007 2:28:55 PM

Is it TD to safety or something else? Has Nate Salley improved that much? We gonna try Gamble there?

Seriously, if members of the news media in this town doesn't button-hole Marty and Foxy on the safety issue they might as well stay at home.

Posted by: JAT | Apr 29, 2007 2:32:40 PM

Chris Leak won't get picked. He'll be free to sign with the Panthers as a free agent, and he won't be a great signing.

The Panthers have to bring back Shaun Williams and Colin Branch. Both are still unsigned, they know the defense, and maybe Tim Lewis can coach 'em up a little. Not getting a safety at all in this draft is just unacceptable.

Posted by: Dave @ Panthers FanHouse | Apr 29, 2007 2:41:39 PM

why is it unacceptable, if there are no safeties that you feel are good enough to contribute, then why draft one. There will be plenty of safties that go undrafted who will be just as talented as the ones taken in the late rounds. Plus, teams are not finished cutting players, they may be waiting to explore that option. Ideally, I would have wanted a safety in the first or 2nd round, but the really good ones were all gone, so they went to plan B. Now I'm just guessing but if they do have Minter, Williams, Branch, and Salley all returning and they dont sign anyone else, then the defense is in some trouble but they might just have to suck it up and address it next year.

Posted by: MM | Apr 29, 2007 2:46:28 PM

Get off the Chris Leak tip,he's OK,but not good enough,Please,can we talk about someone in need,like a TE,WE NEED A ,SHOCKEY A HEAP A WITTEN A MILLER A CLARK,This would help change the face of Carolina,We have a TE,the problem is,he cant catch,Gaines,he gets open all the time but cant catch,when will we get a good TE? somebody tell me.

Posted by: #1 Fan | Apr 29, 2007 2:48:22 PM

I don't know about unacceptable. If they felt like they were making a big reach, there wasn't a need for them to make it. Williams and Branch weren't great, but they're just as likely to come in and do well as anybody we could've gotten from the 5th on. There probably won't be too many of the "June 1st" cuts this year, as the NFL made a move where teams can cut a guy anytime and designate him as "June 1" to spread the cap hit. Al Wilson, for instance, was one of these. I'll admit that it's not the best way to go about getting significant contributors, but there are always some decent veterans who unexpectedly get beat by younger guys coming out of training camp.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 2:49:47 PM

we will get one of those good pass catching TE's probably when John Fox, Jeff Davidson, and Marty Hurney are long gone from this team. And as a fan, I'd rather have those three guys than a one-dimensional tight end. Sure it would be nice, but the offense would not utilize them in that receiving capacity so it would really be a waste.

Posted by: MM | Apr 29, 2007 2:51:46 PM

Give this Leak thing a break !!! ALL Panther fans don't live in Charlotte, so why waste a pick on some STUPID emotional choice? If he was NFL caliber he'd be gone by now.

Posted by: Tim H | Apr 29, 2007 3:19:19 PM

How do you waste a 7th rounder?

Go 'head and take him, nice one or two day story, then ship him off to NFL Europe -- if that. Most of those guys have NFL bodies but not NFL experience or savvy. Chris has exactly the opposite.

Also think of it as an insurance pick, if Leak goes somewhere else and makes a roster, the Panthers will never live it down.

Posted by: JAT | Apr 29, 2007 3:34:19 PM

You waste a 7th rounder by picking a guy who you KNOW has no chance to make an impact even IF he makes the team. If you KNOW he won't make the roster, that's even worse...and when you're talking about Leak, that's something you know with three solid QBs on the roster.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 3:49:54 PM

The panthers should take a flier on David Ball the all-time ncaa touchdown reception record holder. Shattered Jerry Rice's record ncaa records and could prove to be the next Ricky Proehl.

Posted by: Jersey Panther | Apr 29, 2007 4:03:12 PM

We already have 5 WRs who are basically locks to make the roster, and I can't se us carrying many more. I'd rather have Jarrett as our "next Proehl" as soon as this year.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 4:07:02 PM

I would like to see us get Jon Abbate, from Wake, before we go after Leak. I know he is a LB, but he would come more near contributing than Leak would.
Abbate is a hard charger on every play. He could also help with the special teams coverage.

Posted by: Juan | Apr 29, 2007 4:09:00 PM

Another decent pick would be Craig Dahl North Dakota State. He's a tough safety who at the minimum could make a special team impact

Posted by: Jersey Panther | Apr 29, 2007 4:12:01 PM

I'm not familiar with Dahl, but I just read his review and seems like he would be a good fit as well.
I like Leak, but I just can't see him contributing in the near future. I would like to see him prove me wrong though.

Posted by: Juan | Apr 29, 2007 4:16:57 PM

Another pick better than Leak would be the TE from Delaware Ben Patrick. Anyone but Leak.

Posted by: Jersey Panther | Apr 29, 2007 4:21:03 PM

Yeah, I think we need to go away from the positions we've already drafted at. There could be good value in a guy like Brandon Siler or Abbate, but at some point, you have to wonder where these roster spots are going to come from.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 29, 2007 4:22:02 PM

I just read up on David Ball the WR. Sounds like a solid performer to me. I wouldn't getting him, and cutting Colbert or Carter. Colbert's performance has totally dropped off and I don't think Carter will ever live up to his potential.

Posted by: Juan | Apr 29, 2007 4:25:45 PM

I like Siler also but Abbate is just too small and doesn't have enough physical ability he's a tough guy but lack of that much size and agility is just too hard to compensate for in the NFL.

Posted by: Jersey Panther | Apr 29, 2007 4:27:14 PM