« Jarrett pick OK, but Panthers need safety | Main | Kalil really was 'best available' »

April 28, 2007

Value at 59 may be at DE

As much as I'd like to see the Panthers get a safety with their second pick of the second round (59th overall from the Jets), there might not be good value there. Aside from Syracuse's Tanard Jackson, who is as much of a cornerback as he is a safety, I'm not seeing a safety worth this pick. The Panthers might be better off shooting for a defensive end, such as Notre Dame's Victor Abiamiri, Florida's Ray McDonald, Georgia's Charles Johnson or Texas' Tim Crowder.

Posted by Observer Sports on April 28, 2007 at 08:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

2 of those guys just got gone in a hurry, so you could be right. Time to grab the value before it's gone.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 8:52:33 PM

Look out, Hartwig...time to get that groin right in a hurry, bud. Either way, Kalil will be competing for a starting spot at C or RG, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he won one of them. Fans might not be thrilled, but all the analysts are going to love our first day.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:04:42 PM

Dude, you haven't put down one single pick that the Panthers have chosen. i could do your job better, i promise. I mean from now on, just say, the panthers will choose a player out of a north american college, ok?

Posted by: whitemike | Apr 28, 2007 9:06:10 PM

yeah, I cant say I understand this one. I heard alot about this guy and he was one of the top centers. I suppose its just insurance at center because Hangartner may end up starting at guard or center. I''m really suprised they didnt go DE, but oh well.

Posted by: MM | Apr 28, 2007 9:08:16 PM

Kalil was the right pick. Most of the safeties we would have been considering at 59 will still be there in the third round. Kalil was a borderline first round player, and you can never have enough talented linemen. Panthers have done a great job balancing need and value.

Posted by: W. Wotton | Apr 28, 2007 9:08:26 PM

Kalil is also trained at zone blocking that the Panthers are moving to this season. It's a great value pick.

Posted by: GG | Apr 28, 2007 9:10:43 PM

3 guys with a lot of combined 1st-round grades so far...can't argue with that.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 28, 2007 9:16:02 PM

I like the Kalil even more now that I hear that he is trained in zone blocking! In the third round I would like us to pick up Quentin Moses (DE, Georgia) or Charles Johnson (DE, Georgia). If they are not there then best available S (Though I still think best available S in the third is a good choice). If we take one of the DEs then we need to pick up best available S in the 4th round.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 28, 2007 9:22:35 PM

You can't argue with the Panthers have come up with in this draft. You could easily make an argument we ended up with 3 first rounders, if you believe the mock drafts.

Safety is not a high priority for this defense, at least in theory. If we can pick up Rouse or maybe Michael Robinson (Arizona), with the picks already in the book, I think the Panthers get an A on day 1.

(I'm not sold on Gattis. The two knocks on him scare me - not tough and not a great tackler.)

Posted by: Tom | Apr 28, 2007 10:01:57 PM