« Smith just step one of Panthers' strategy | Main | Trying to gauge Gross' value »

May 09, 2007

Hall sacks up storm in Europe

When it comes to performances in NFL Europa, you have to keep things in perspective. Remember, Dameyune Craig once threw for something like 600 yards a game and it translated into nothing on this side of the Atlantic. Maybe this means nothing, too, but there is one member of the Panthers off to a great start in NFL Europa this season. That’s defensive end Jason Hall of the Cologne Centurions. In his past two games, Hall has eight tackles, three sacks, a forced fumble, two quarterback hurries and one pass defensed. His three sacks lead NFL Europa for the first four games.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 9, 2007 at 02:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

Pat,
At 384 lbs, how long do you think it will take the Panthers to trade him for a S or DE? I figure less than three weeks.

Posted by: MR | May 9, 2007 3:03:23 PM

I'm glad he's doing good and hopefully that success will translate to the NFL. I don't know about you guys though but I can't stand NFLe. Its just not that good if you ask me. Its all these German teams and I just don't get into it. I know Jake, Kurt Warner and some other players came from there but man.... And who was the goofball that decided to change it from NFL Europe to NFL Europa? That's about as cheeseball as you can get. Sorry if I offend any NFLe fans.

Posted by: JT | May 9, 2007 3:43:02 PM

JT. Are you an idiot? NFL Europe may not be up to par to the NFL, But it serves a purpose to players that need playing time to improve their skills. This is their time to shine and to their NFL teams see what they can do on the field with repitions. Look at the big picture next time and not just for your entertainment value. You sound like that commercial for ESPN and talking out of your A$$. Please become more educated in the art of football and practice.

Posted by: Greg | May 9, 2007 4:58:26 PM

I get made fun of a lot on here for my air of superiority and implied inside info, but I have some legit info on Jason Hall. He was a senior at my high school when I was a freshman before going to UTK. He led the team to our first ever state championship as a DE/TE (he was actually pretty good on offense, too), and established himself as a very quality, if quiet, football player. He was never a star at Tennessee, but he's always had a great motor and is a BIG TIME character guy. I've said it before on this site, and it will only be tougher with the drafting of Charles Johnson, but I'd love to see J-Hall get a spot, at least on the practice squad.
And yes, the Europa is a nod to the NFLE's mostly German support and geograpic base. I'll assume that's Europe in German. As for the quality of the league, of COURSE it's not spectacular. But for guys like J-Hall (who spent last year out of football after being dropped in the last round of cuts by the Bills) and others who are rusty from inactivity, it can be a great chance to refine mechanics and get in shape while working under better quality coaching than you can get in a lot of other places.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 9, 2007 5:28:48 PM

Europe is what it is Europe not just Germany folks. While I was stationed @ Lakenheath I played football w/ some guys that played in NFL Europe. Let me tell you it is the best possible offseason workout for anyone thats not a premier player, but wishes to be one! Kudos to any of the Panther players that participate in NFL Europe, it shows their dedication and initiative to get better!

Posted by: JohnnyB | May 9, 2007 10:28:11 PM

Actually, most of the non-German teams have folded. Every team is based in Germany except Amsterdam.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 9, 2007 11:42:11 PM

Further NFLE updates (stats through 3 games):
Justin McCullum: #4/5 WR, 1 REC-25 YDS
Kevin Garrett: starting CB, 9 TAK, 3 PD

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 9, 2007 11:47:26 PM

I'd just like to know why the people in the Charlotte region (the Observer) are the least informed fans in the NFL. I mean really, Scott, Pat - why do we have to consistantly rely upon ESPN or the Rock Hill Hereld to get us up to date on what is going on with the Panthers? You guys are at least 24 hours behind all the other media. By the time you post anything, it's old news. What is the issue?

Posted by: mark | May 10, 2007 1:06:00 AM

The Rock Hill Hereld??? Really come on Mark! No one aside from those in Rock Hill give a rats ass about the Rock Hill Hereld???? Stop trying to plug your paper! Is it Hereld or Herald???? Jesus, you get your info from a paper that cannot even spell their name correctly? I notice a lot of Observer bashing on here, you must appreciate the paper though since you are posting, huh.

Posted by: JohnnyB | May 10, 2007 11:28:17 PM

Actually, I'm from High Point, and the Herald's Panthers blog is more consistently updated with more in-depth information that is actually difficult to find outside of the channels any person could get. Draft coverage was WAY better, and they've broken a few of the recent stories (Keyshawn's release, Smitty's extension) before the N&O. I'm not complaining about N&O coverage, but the Herald has had the edge lately.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 11, 2007 3:08:19 AM

Listen Syrpis, just because JT doesnt get into NFL Europa, its no reason to get personal. To speculate that JT must be Jewish because "Jews loathe Germans and Europeans in general (especially Christian ones).", is very inflammatory and has no place in this forum. You topped that off by calling JT a Fascist. Please get back to your usual rant about our front office and forego any more religious and political hate-speech. Unfortunately, your comments about the panthers show no more wisdom and even less team pride. Why are you even a fan? This is a powerful team that has had the discipline to take the best pick left on the board,instead of reach for needs. Down the road that will pay off, and Im still not convinced we wont be playing for all the marbles come Supersunday!

Posted by: syrpis-hater | May 12, 2007 3:18:12 PM

Thank you, s-h. I'm Jewish, and I didn't feel that his comment even merited a response, but I'm glad somebody did it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 13, 2007 2:14:27 AM

Why is hate speech against Jews or anyone else allowed in this forum? I am shocked and amazed that The Charlotte Observer has not removed this racist content. Shameful.

Posted by: Steve | May 14, 2007 10:53:39 AM

racist... no. Stupid... YES!!!!

Posted by: Tommy | May 15, 2007 8:57:56 PM

awsome dude

Posted by: pimp | May 16, 2007 6:02:31 PM

Michael - thanks for helping to keep J-Hall in the news. Hopefully he makes it back to NFL, and stardom for the Panthers. All of us McCallie guys are pulling for him (I'm a father of '07 and '11 alum).

Posted by: JB | Jun 29, 2007 8:13:28 AM