« Keyshawn still draws interest | Main | Keyshawn was a reporter's dream »

May 02, 2007

Jarrett, Kalil to attend workouts

Bit of good news, involving rookies Dwayne Jarrett and Ryan Kalil. Although a lot of players from West Coast schools have been prohibited from taking part in June workouts in recent years, general manager Marty Hurney said that won’t be the case with the two players from Southern California.

Hurney said Southern California is on a semester system and classes will be done in time for the June workouts.

The NFL and the NCAA have a rule that prohibits players from taking part in those workouts until their classes have graduated, and that previously has impacted some Panthers coming from West Coast schools that use a quarter system.

Attending the workouts should be a big help for Jarrett and Kalil, who will get a chance to be familiar with the offense before they get to training camp.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 2, 2007 at 02:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

That's good to hear. The sooner they can get acclimated to the NFL, the sooner they will have an impact.

Let's hope all goes well with the front office and Jenkins this week.

Go Panthers!!!

Posted by: Will P | May 2, 2007 3:25:29 PM

I hope so Will, or Yaz, Fowler, and Sorensen will throw Jenkins under a bus too -- provided there is a big enough bus.

Seriously, what happens with Jenk is about the 3rd or 4th most important thing facing this team. I want Kris here happy and healthy, but bigger things loom, like safety, Morgan's noggin, and a 1,200-yard RB.

Marty just looks like a giant tool for supposing Jenk was worth a 1st rounder when Randy Moss went for a 4th.

Posted by: JAT | May 2, 2007 8:19:04 PM

Jenks made the Pro Bowl LAST year. When's the last time Moss did?

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 2, 2007 8:44:19 PM

When Jenkins heard he was going to be traded he started working out with a personal trainer....So if anything he's more motivated and in shape for this seaon and he's still a panther

Posted by: Dewey | May 2, 2007 9:04:03 PM

Jenkins will also be playing for a bigger contract here or most likely somewhere else.

Risky move, but the higher the risk the higher the reward.

Posted by: Matt A | May 2, 2007 9:26:16 PM

I think we should look at sending Jenkins to Chicago for safety Mike Brown. they both have comparable salaries, they've both had injuries however Brown more serious, and Chicago WILL have a need at DT once Tank johnson gets out of the pin. Plus we still have needs at Safety.

Posted by: emil | May 3, 2007 8:49:08 AM

Didn't Chicago draft a couple D-linemen? There is no way they would trade Brown for Jenkins. Jenkins didn't deserve the Pro Bowl nod last year, and he needs to play better this year if he's going to be worth the space he takes up as a starter. I think he will play better, though, because many of the best players play their best the second year after a serious injury instead of right away. What are the chances that our DE draft pick beats out Mike Rucker? I think we'll be good to go this year because we'll have a real return guy, a pass catching TE (although not in the same class as a guy like Gates or Shockey), a healthier O-line with more depth, and D Williams and Garrett will surprise this year as well.

Posted by: charlson | May 3, 2007 9:37:20 AM

I'm in love with Carolina's first round pick. Beason, I may not have watched him as much a I should, however since the draft I've been blowing up my computer watching game film of him, I may be reaching here, but I believe that we have the next Ray Lewis(don't Smile)... this guy play's the game with "Rage" not passion. We would be better suited to line him in at
Middle Line Backer, flank Dan Morgan to SLB, and let Thomas Davis WLB. I believe that this line up will yeild many tackles. Watchout NFC South.

Posted by: Caro2daheart | May 3, 2007 11:40:11 AM

I think people are over looking the signing of Jessie Daniels, S, from LSU. Landry got all the press, but I think Jessie could become a solid starter. With a solid D-Line and Cornerbacks in Gamble, Lucas, and Marshall, I think we will be just fine, regardless of that position. But my question is, how could so many teams let Kalil drop? I think our o-line will be much improved this year.

Posted by: Rick | May 3, 2007 10:32:16 PM

ill tell you what its hard to make panther fans happy...jeeeees

Posted by: daryl | May 4, 2007 6:20:40 PM

What If???? Jenkins is the 2nd most important. If he is here too help?! IF he returns too close too The jenkins of 2003 and He Dominates The O-line of Opponents and Demands Double teams on passing plays(frees Peppers) and Crushes the running lanes whether it be right or left of the line!! This being said he cushions the impact play of LB's and Safties.. He was at camp today or was that a play too get more MONEY out of him???? He is our foundation of the D-fense or he will be the Cornerstone of ANOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bt | May 5, 2007 1:44:47 AM

charlson: you are right on man, that is by far the best lineup and will help prolong Morgan's career! I hope the Panthers are listening.

Posted by: Jeff | May 5, 2007 2:03:12 AM

just went on panthers.com and checked out the photo gallery from the mini camp, Kris Jenkins looks as fat as ever. Its nice that he showed up, but if I were the panthers front office, I would not be putting those pictures on the website, it just pisses me off( a big fan) and henders possible trades for Jenkins in the future!

Posted by: Jeff | May 5, 2007 2:14:13 AM

I don't know if this will make since...and off topic somewhat. Not directed at anyone. Some of you get upset when fans Whine about decisions made and automatically think fans are being negative about The Panthers and are not supporting the team. For all of you optimist out there in LA LA Land... The critics are not criticing the team it's who is operating the team. For example if you get into a Nice, Fast , Powerfull car and the person driving is terrible driver! It has nothing to do with the car it is the person operating, you know bad drivers or bad coaches, coaching staff, Team Decisions ETC.. You have mechanics who can build a car, but cannot drive at all! I have friend that fits the description. So don't automatically assume we are being unsupportive of the panthers when they have a Gripe!! Oh yeah Jenkins will make all of you ambitious "lets trade to get something"(Nothing), Rethink!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bt | May 6, 2007 1:22:07 AM

Hey BLT, do the numbers 384 mean anything to you? Jenkins is 100 lbs FATTER than SAPP. He might have to play all 3 downs cause I don't think it's safe to make him run on and off the field.
Maybe we can get a special cart to drive him on to play and off the field to rest.

Posted by: paulb | May 10, 2007 1:36:52 PM

Paulb
We'll see how well Sapp does that light I am saying he will put some them pounds back on. What did he weigh last year and led the raiders in sacks?? Was he a fat boy or no!?? You do the math smartmouth! Do you know that Jenkins weighs that much now? Have you seen the scale? Are you a 6'oclocker? The sports you watch is on at 6'oclock news. You a sell out like many of the other Jenkins haters, bet you was all about Jenkins in 2003... When he dominates this year remember your comment that you posted.

Posted by: bt | May 10, 2007 5:54:45 PM

My mistake he had 10 sacks 2nd on his team. How much was it they said he lost from last year? Approx 65 to 75lbs.. Raiders were 3rd in defense.

Posted by: bt | May 10, 2007 6:16:12 PM