« Hall sacks up storm in Europe | Main | Pat Yasinskas' blog will return soon »

May 10, 2007

Trying to gauge Gross' value

Received a very thought-provoking e-mail the other day.

"What is Jordan Gross worth?’’ the e-mailer asked.

That’s a great question and one the Panthers have to be asking themselves. With Steve Smith just signed to a three-year contract extension, the focus turns to extensions for Gross and defensive end Julius Peppers.

Any deal for Peppers is going to involve ridiculous numbers because he’s a ridiculous talent. But it’s much harder to get a gauge on Gross’ value.

Offensive tackles such as Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones average more than $7 million a year. The players in the next tier of tackles average more than $6 million a year.

Does Gross belong in the upper-echelon? That’s what the Panthers have to decide and an argument can be made both ways.

On one hand, Gross is a solid player, the only lineman in franchise history who was drafted early and has panned out. He’s been durable and versatile, playing left and right tackle. When he’s played on the right side, his level of play has been close to the Pro Bowl level.

On the other hand, Gross never has made the Pro Bowl. He’s relatively young, but he’s not going to get much better.

Is he worth $7 million a year or do the Panthers turn him into the next Will Witherspoon and let him walk after the 2007 season?

Owner Jerry Richardson has said the Panthers want to keep Gross and said he believes the team can make it happen, while also keeping Smith and Peppers. But maybe this is a decision the Panthers don’t need to rush into because there could be a lot of other factors.

Left tackle Travelle Wharton is also scheduled to be a free agent after this season, and the jury’s still out on him. Rashad Butler didn’t play as a rookie last year, but the Panthers believe he has potential. Jeremy Bridges, who started at right tackle much of last year and might move to guard this year, also can be part of the future plans.

The Panthers have a good idea of Gross’ capabilities, but his real worth might not be fully determined until they figure out what Wharton, Butler and Bridges are worth.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 10, 2007 at 04:06 PM | Permalink

Comments

I thought those who's talkin about Smith and Peppers in a bad way is jokin,I cant believe how some can think that The Panthers can make it without Smith and Peppers,Somebody is seriously on Channel (LOSS YO MIND) Somebody needs to go home and rest they nerves,There's other teams out there had players playin the SAME position with a better record and didnt WIN the Super Bowl,How do you explain that?.

Posted by: #1 Fan | May 10, 2007 5:00:01 PM

#1 -- I don't think anyone is saying the Panthers "can make it" without Smith and Peppers, the questions is more what are they worth.

I think the Panthers probably got it about right with Smith -- didn't overpay for too long. With Pep, the question is what is a DE worth. Were Pep disrupting plays every down like, say, LT in his prime, then we might have a better idea of his value. But the fact is that Trgo's scheme doesn't have Pep doing that.

No matter -- I think the Big Cat has decided that Pep will finish his career as a Panther and as Rosinski and Keyshawn learned, once the Big Cat has decided it is all over but the timing of the pounce.

Posted by: JAT | May 10, 2007 8:21:13 PM

You forgot to include Hartwig in the equation. Remember he was drafted as a RT by the Titans out of K State before being switched to Center. If Kalil can start we now have enough depth to let Gross walk (if he's not reasonable) and get a 3rd round comp pick. I'd much rather sign Peppers/Smith and save Gross' money to spread around elsewhere.

Posted by: Steve | May 10, 2007 9:31:16 PM

I think it would not be terrible to let Gross walk if he want a blockbuster contract. I believe Rashad Butler will be great, zone blocking works in his favor too. Travelle is very underrated. He only allowed something like 2 or 3 sacks in college. He just got hurt as he was developing and everyone thinks he's crap. Paying 7 mil a year for a good not great RT will mess our cap up for years to come.

Posted by: Josh | May 10, 2007 9:56:37 PM

Pat that sounds like a blog I stated earlier. Too much potential on our Offensive Line, sounds like a great problem to have. Training camp is coming where our staff will evaluate this great talent and assemble the best offensive line that we've seen in a few years. My picks:

LT - Travelle Wharton - Played great until injury, we can save money with this option.

LG - Evan Mathis - Played well last season.

C - Ryan Khalil - First round talent should start him.

RG - Jeremy Bridges - Move Him inside with that weight to open running lanes.

RT - Rashard Butler - Added weight, should do fine, besides it's RT.

Since we paid for the free agents we'll use them until their contract is up, so our line will actually look like this:

LT - Travelle Wharton
- Eric Graham

LG - Mike Whale
- Evan Mathis

C - Justin Hartwig
- Ryan Khalil

RG - Jeremy Bridges
- Evan Mathis

RT - Jordan Gross
- Rashard Butler

However I could be wrong:)

Posted by: Caro2daheart | May 11, 2007 1:35:48 PM

Why would you start either Mathis (who was average at best) or Bridges (who has never played inside) over Wahle, who is a proven Pro Bowl performer and made a valiant effort to battle through his various injuries last year, as people like Hartwig did not. I think your "real" starting lineup is good, though I'd pick Kalil over Hartwig at C and Hartwig over Bridges at RG. I think they do indeed like Bridges, but they'd probably like to keep him as a good 3rd-tackle option like Todd Fordham has been the last couple years. He probably slides back into the starting lineup NEXT year when either Gross, Wharton, or both walk.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 11, 2007 3:25:10 PM

Respected opinion, I love Wahle and what he has done for our line. My wish would be to have a good inexpensive line, but if I had to pick whale would Definately be in my starting 5.

Posted by: Caro2daheart | May 11, 2007 4:17:20 PM

Gotcha...I understand you desire to save money on the line...it seems like a place you can get away with cheaper players. Still, you can definately afford to splurge on at least a guy or two and fit it under the cap, and Wahle seems like a guy actually worth the money.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 11, 2007 8:10:53 PM

quoting another fictional character, "specifics, man! specifics!!"

Posted by: luke37 | May 13, 2007 12:20:07 AM

haha...I'll take it, then, that you haven't heard from this crazy bitch before...I wish you had had a chance to read her rants a month or so ago. Fortunately, though, Pat was smart enough to get rid of her crap. She'll have you believe Richardson is running a prostitution ring and bootlegging on the side, all because her husband (mediocre at best FB Chris Hetherington...) liked his daughter more than her...poor thing. I hope someday she can get the help she needs.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 13, 2007 2:16:35 AM

Thanks, Michael. I thought I stumbled onto a soap opera post by mistake. Whew! Crazy bitch indeed. Jerry as the Anti-Budda!

Posted by: S.H. | May 13, 2007 3:31:14 AM

Well, since you asked so nice, crazy bitch just doesnt quite seem appropriate. Asylum escapee with internet access. Step away from the keyboard, maam.

Posted by: S.H. | May 13, 2007 3:45:19 PM

Gross is worth 7 million years if you want a power running game. Is jerry Richardson a shape shifting reptillian? I would love to see him stay, therei s only a couple tackles drafted since 2000 that have become all-pros, Gross is on the cusp.

Posted by: jason | May 13, 2007 11:43:56 PM

I think we need a chance to see Gross play the same position (RT, it seems, would be best) for not only a whole season, but multiple years in a row. I believe he was actually named to SI's All-Pro team as a rookie.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 13, 2007 11:47:41 PM

It is ironic how Alexa speaks of threatening suit of defamation and then goes on to defame a multitude of individuals herself.

Anyway, truth is an affirmative defense to defamation Alexa, and it seems that "crazy bitch" isn't all that far from the truth.

Posted by: LeeL | May 14, 2007 8:28:38 AM

Well, you see, LeeL, you're confused...the difference in her claims is that she IS telling the truth...haha.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 14, 2007 12:37:17 PM

Crazy extraordinary high society bitch, please step away from the keyboard.

Posted by: S.H. | May 14, 2007 6:49:42 PM

THIS BI@TCH IS CRAZY AS HELL. SHUT UP. I'VE NEVER HEARD SO MUCH RIDICULOUS SHIT IN ALL MY LIFE.

Posted by: WOWO | May 15, 2007 9:50:26 AM

I guess that means you didn't read her LAST series of posts then. Her "deposition" was a wonder to behold.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 15, 2007 11:03:01 AM

ARE YOU CRAZY? I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE SO AGAINST THE RICHARDSONS AND NFL. WOULD EVEN BOTHER TO TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT A BLOG FOR THE CAROLINA PANTHERS???HUH???MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. FIST OF ALL DAN HENNING WAS BEING QUESTIONED BY ALL SPORT WRITERS IN THE COUNTRY NOT JUST BY THE "RICHARDSON CLIQUE" I PERSONALLY AM THANKFUL THEY CUT MR. HENNING THE GAME SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE PAST HIM. NOT TO MENTION KEYSHAWN THE REASON HE WAS BROUGHT HERE WAS TO BE A POSESSION RECEIVER YET LAST SEASON WE were LAST in THE NFL!!!!!IF YOU REALLY FELT AS STRONGLY AS YOU DO I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO FIGHT AND ARGUE WITH FANS ON A BLOG, THEY ARE ON IT BECAUSE THEY SUPPORT THE RICHARDSONS(MOST OF THE TIME)SO IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE JUST LOOKING FOR AN ARGUMENT OR POSSIBLE MANHATER!!!FOR THE SAKE OF ALL PANTHER (INCLUDING JERRY RICHARDSON)FANS PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO FLY A KITE!!!

Posted by: WOWO | May 15, 2007 4:19:07 PM

Brilliant people. I think it's funny you consider yourself brilliant. Sounds like if there was any "Richardson clique" you were one of the sluts that went to the rooms of the players. Or maybe your husband cheated on you, while with the Panthers and you blame Mr. Richardson??CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY HE WOULD EVER CONSIDER CHEATING ON YOUR PHSYCOTIC ASS BUT WHATEVER...

Posted by: wowo | May 16, 2007 1:01:31 AM

And my "dieing" wish? Find the real ""Escape goats" to blame your skin cancer on...haha. Good luck with the case, hun!

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 16, 2007 3:21:41 AM

Alexa, I think the reason this keeps happening to you is because you are the problem. What is your telephone number? Maybe we could get up some time. I like'em crazy.

Posted by: LeeL | May 16, 2007 8:21:04 AM

I have to agree with the comments about Jerry Richardson. Last year, during the Philly game, I got tickets and took my son. We were walking along the club level when my son loosened his jacket and out hopped his little puppy. In another time and place it would have been cute to see a little boy hide his puppy to bring to the game. Well, out of nowhere comes Jerry Richardson. He grabbed the puppy, snapped his neck and then threw the dead body against the glass wall of a smoking booth. When my son started crying, Richardson then had a couple of his goons come over and tell my poor crying son that there is no Santa Claus nor is there an Easter Bunny and that in all likelihood, he will die of colon cancer before he turns 40, assuming of course the polar ice caps don't melt and drown us all first. The whole time Jerry is smoking a big cigar and laughing and carrying on. When I tried to object, his goons held me down and he put out the cigar right on my forehead. I still have that scar on my face to this day. After that, I was forced to lick clean the entire 500 level. When I found a police officer that was working, Richardson just laughed and punched me in the kidneys and told me I should have read the back of my ticket before I walked in. My son was then forced to work for a year as a servant at Richardson's estate, being fed a measly 500 calories a day despite the heavy workload of tending after a herd of yaks that Richardson keeps on his property for weekend fights. Since he escaped to freedom by hiding in a pile of yak poop, my son has been in and out of special schools and recently took up a heroin addiction, even though he's only 7 years old. My wife left me to become one of Jerry's polygamist wives, my truck broke down and now George Lopez has been canceled. Thanks, Jerry! You ruined my life!

Posted by: Archibald LaFebre | May 18, 2007 1:00:11 AM

I hope Alexa reads that...that'll sure add to her ammunition against the Richardson NFL clique...haha.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 18, 2007 1:07:55 AM