« Two more free agents agree to terms | Main | No $3 million bonus for Johnson »

May 01, 2007

Why Panthers canned Keyshawn

Here's why Keyshawn Johnson is gone:

Although the receiver, who was followed by controversy in his previous stops, seemed to be a model citizen in his one season with the Panthers, there were some-behind the scenes issues.

Some very important people in the organization weren't happy when Johnson failed to stand up and take blame away from quarterback Jake Delhomme after some critical passes intended for Johnson were intercepted. At least one very important person in the organization urged Johnson to do that and he didn't.

Johnson also didn't endear himself to some key people by questioning some coaching moves. The Panthers are on the hook for $3.75 million in salary cap space because of remaining signing bonus prorations. They may designate Johnson as a June 1 cut and spread the cap hit over two years.

The decision to part ways with Johnson actually was made at least several weeks ago. When a rumor was circulating about this move last week, Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told The Observer that information was "not accurate.''

Apparently, the Panthers wanted to make sure their bases were covered before officially making the move, and the clincher came when they drafted USC's Dwayne Jarrett in the second round Saturday.

Posted by Observer Sports on May 1, 2007 at 03:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Why the heck did they not trade him for something, either a Safety or draftpick or a package deal with jenkins for a first round pick???

atleast the Raiders got a 4th round pick for Randy Moss, we could've drafted a Safety with that.

Posted by: jp | May 1, 2007 3:31:29 PM

I've already heard a rumor going around that the Patriots will make a move to sign Keyshawn. Any legitimacy to this rumor?

Posted by: Patrick | May 1, 2007 3:32:34 PM

And who is going to fill in as #2...Colbert, Carter, Jarrett? And why the hell does this organization feel that it needs to protect freaking Jake Delhomme so much...he must really be a little cry baby! Key saw it and said it like it was...you'd think a guy who says "it is what is" would get that...maybe it "isnt what it isnt"

Posted by: CatDog | May 1, 2007 3:34:49 PM

There needs to be better reasons than this...reminds me of Rosinski who is sorely missed! The tight wads in our organization need to wake up and put on some real britches and take off the panties. We have some women running this organization if they want Key and others to take the blame off of Jake and not open their mouth otherwise. I'm getting to the point where they can take my money and shove it!!!

Posted by: Sick | May 1, 2007 3:35:17 PM

Why didn't they trade him if they are on the hook cap wise anyways??? Trade him to Houston or someone and get a TE or a Safety since they failed to do that in the draft. Panthers mgmt needs to get over themselves and this BS pride they have.

Posted by: Wraunch | May 1, 2007 3:42:24 PM

WHAT A JOKE! BUT THAT IS WHAT YOUGEN WHEN YOU HAVE NON-FOOTBALL PEOPLE IN THE FRONT OFFICE (MARTY HURNEY)

Posted by: Carl Leazer | May 1, 2007 3:43:21 PM

I was sure Colbert was gonna go before Keyshawn. I think with a year of tutelage he could have sped up Jarrett's learning curve, who plays the same kind of game. I wonder if this means something to Morgan and Rucker since the Panthers drafted their replacements also.

Posted by: Dave | May 1, 2007 3:45:58 PM

how much cap space did we just save for this year?....anyone?

Posted by: emmett8 | May 1, 2007 3:46:01 PM

What a reason to cut Keyshawn. They wanted him to take the blame for Jake Dellhoms sorry ASS! The Panthers are pityful and classless! I'll root elsewhere!

Posted by: Pissed | May 1, 2007 3:46:16 PM

Oh, man. I hope Smitty takes some aspirin before those games. He's going to get killed.

Posted by: Keith | May 1, 2007 3:47:25 PM

Amazing, absolutely amazing how this team coddles idiot Delhomme and then cuts someone who refuses to be made a scapegoat to make that idiot Delhomme look better than he really is. Smooth move Fox

Posted by: Fox is an IDIOT | May 1, 2007 3:50:15 PM

BIG MISTAKE, unless we saved a large ammount this year to sign elsewhere...even then we just let go of the perfect mentor for our new 6"4 220lb child with gargantuan ability. this makes no sense unless we saved 2 mil minimum for this year by splitting the bonus hit over 2 yrs.

Posted by: emmett8 | May 1, 2007 3:52:08 PM

Hey sick and catdog, you've hit the nail head on.I concur.

Posted by: Bill | May 1, 2007 3:52:50 PM

it makes no sense why they just let him go, after paying bonus, and not getting anything for him.

I wonder if the idiots realize that floating this story of him not covering for Delhomme will just create more resentment among Panther fans with Delhomme, David Carr Jersey's are going to sell out.

Posted by: jp | May 1, 2007 3:55:58 PM

The way I see it is maybe the FO thought there was too much "meshawn" in the way he handled his job?

I really liked that he was on our team, and I was proud to have him, but maybe the FO got tired of his cocky attitude??

Maybe they realize that Smitty is enough veteran leadership, and he has a more "team" mentality.

IF I was the FO I would have NOT liked how he paraded his position the whole offseason and kept everyone on a limb, then with that being said the FO assumed all off season he was comming back.

Now also think of the draft choice of Jarret now, did the FO do this because he was the BPA or because they KNEW they were gonna cut him???

I hope this all works out for the better....

Posted by: AK Joe | May 1, 2007 4:03:12 PM

Now what am I going to do w/ my Johnson jersey I bought last year....GD'it???

Posted by: JOHN | May 1, 2007 4:07:09 PM

Keyshaw gets to leave with his pride and millions of dollars. Look for smitty to be gone next year too if the team and it's homer fanbase are going to expect receivers to take the blame for Delhommes notorious innaccuracy.

Posted by: Key | May 1, 2007 4:07:39 PM

The small town mentality continues with the release of Keyshawn,I have never been a big fan of his but I respected his work on the field.This reminds me so much of the slave/ master role so much.Jerry Richardson needs to come and live in the 21st century!

Posted by: J.C. | May 1, 2007 4:13:32 PM

I do not understand why the Panthers would cut Keyshawn knowing that he would be a great teacher for the rookie wide receiver. Eventhough Dwayne has similiar traits like him that is not a replacement right not. If this was due to a price cap then the contract should have been redone since he would be retiring in the next couple of years anyway. Why is it that everyone else's fault with catching the ball when the QB is not throwing it that well. I guess it is always the wide receivers fault for the qb throwing bad balls. If anyone should take any blame it should be Jake. The wide receivers is what made Jake look good when we made it to the superbowl.

Posted by: lg | May 1, 2007 4:16:26 PM

THIS IS CRAP!!!I DON'T CARE IF WE HAVE TO PUT E. HILL AT WIDE RECEIVER THEY BETTER CUT COLBERTS SORRY ASS TODAY!!!!NO WAY WE ARE A BETTER TEAM WITHOUT KEYSHAUN...HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS ONE FANS. I JUST CANCELLED MY TRIP TO ST. LOUIS FOR OPENING DAY. PASS

Posted by: WOWO | May 1, 2007 4:19:54 PM

So wait...let me get this straight. The interception Jake through were Keyshawns fault? Ok. Good ridance then. We'll be back in the Super Bowl this year!

Posted by: Killy | May 1, 2007 4:21:35 PM

You guys say whatever you like but it's obvious, as every other place he's been, that Keyshawn didn't fit in. He was a cancer at NY, Tampa & Dallas. The guy is purely a posession receiver and you can pay anybody to do that...pay them much less money might I add. He reminded me of Moose a little, big posession reciever, good blocker & drops a lot of passes. They didn't resign Moose & he was a leader on the team so you think their going to keep Keyshawn w/ his attitude? Every teammate he's had says that the guy is the first one to point the finger that its never him why something didn't happen. Who wants a teammate like that? At least be accoutable for the bad things you do. You can talk all day about Delhomme too but every press conference I read, watched or listened too showed Jake being a man and taking the responsibility for everything. He doesn't whine about it...he takes the blame for it all and moves on to the next week. The guy basically threatened to leave if we fired Henning. Then he dangles whether he's coming back or not to the team, tells the team one thing but tells the press another. Who needs that....get someone you can count on. Someone dependable...

Posted by: JT | May 1, 2007 4:23:40 PM

What in the world are Fox and Hurney doing?! They'd better have something big up their sleeves. Why release Keyshawn?? What sense does this make? No tight end, rookie wideout on the other side, and Smitty will surely be doubled and tripled out of his mind again. I sure hope Mr. Jarrett is ready to play! Oh...I forgot to mention the fact that we need a safety too. Wow...unless something happens soon, looks like the Panthers will be watching the playoffs with all of us at home next season. I wish the team the best, but something has to give.

Posted by: Garron B. | May 1, 2007 4:23:55 PM

Second guessing the passing on Brady Quinn on National television wasn't smart either. God only knows what else exist between the lines. A house divided against itself can not stand. If you will listen to Fox's comments on the post draft interview you could tell that did not sit well with the powers that be. Keyshawn with his behavior probably influnced the draft and caused us to pass on the safety needed in order to replace him.

Jake as a real sportsman always tries to deflect criticism away from teammates and always passes the glory around. That is not to much to ask of someone who wasn't where he was supposed to be nor attempt to obstruct the defender from intercepting the pass. Arrogance personified can not long endure.

Posted by: hykDball | May 1, 2007 4:25:56 PM

Expect more restructring and maybe one or two more suprising cuts to save cap room. The Panthers HAVE to get Peppers locked down soon with a long deal or he will be gone if he hits the free agent market. Also, Steve Smith will be looking for a new contract soon as well...he's been quiet but the top receiver in the league should at least be in the top 10 in regards to pay for receivers. It would be great if we could have pro bowlers and big names at every position like the Redskins only to have to release and move players every year to fit under the cap. Imagine this time next year if we had to wish Pepper goodbye!

Posted by: HSP | May 1, 2007 4:27:41 PM