« Will Hartwig be the center or move to guard? | Main | Carstens' football future uncertain »

June 05, 2007

Panthers' camp schedule changing

The ultimate creature of habit is making changes.

For the first time since joining the Carolina Panthers in 2002, coach John Fox will alter his training camp schedule.

Fox said Tuesday he will go to a schedule that includes more late afternoon/early evening practices.

“We’re going to change a little bit to try to keep the players fresher and give them more recovery time,’’ Fox said.

The exact times still are being worked out, but Fox said the team will get away from the usual schedule of practicing at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day when camp begins in Spartanburg in late July.

The big change will be the afternoon practice. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the Panthers will begin practice at about 5 p.m. and end it about 7 p.m. They’ll still practice around 9 a.m. on those days.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the players will lift weights and attend meetings in the morning, but the only practice will be around 3 p.m.

Fox has had a handful of night practices throughout his tenure. He likes the idea of practicing when the temperature is a little bit lower, but getting done at 9 p.m. caused issues Fox didn’t like.

“The problem with true night practices in the past has been that they were too wound up and they lose that sleep time,’’ Fox said. “They need that to recover. We’ve kind of blended it the best that we can.’’

Posted by Observer Sports on June 5, 2007 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

Comments

Sounds good to me. Foxy always thinking outside the box. Thats usin ya grape son!

Posted by: Whatsit2ya | Jun 5, 2007 1:21:35 PM

Welcome back Pat! Congrats on the new addition to your family. Looking forward to more training camp updates. I've got a feeling 2007 is going to be a good year for "The Panther Nation" (TPN).

Posted by: PMK | Jun 5, 2007 2:24:42 PM

I like the idea of late evening practices. As a fan with 2 small children the less heat the better. Training camp is always a blast regardless of when they practice. I hope that this is a turn around season for us. If not we will still be faithiful and "STILL BELIEVE". Go panthers!!!!

Posted by: panthers4life | Jun 5, 2007 3:11:47 PM

This training camp schedule is similar to that Dom Capers had in the late 90's. Let's hope for better results.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 6, 2007 7:17:33 AM

Why is some guy hatin on Goodell and Richardson. This is about the team and training camp. Every year people get hurt and are lost for the season during training camp. It's about time something different is done.

Posted by: charlson | Jun 6, 2007 7:33:16 AM

Charlson, it's not Mike Minter or even a guy. This can only be the deranged diva, Alexis, poster bitch for all women scorned. Apparently not getting over it. Enjoy our Super season, hun!

Posted by: S.H. | Jun 6, 2007 1:42:29 PM

The "guy" hating on Richardson is Alexa Hethrington, or so she's said. If you haven't seen her previous BS rants, you've truly missed out on something special. Either way...ignore anything that uses the phrases "NFL cult", "NFL sect", or--a new one, apparently--"charlatan."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 7, 2007 12:24:27 AM

Hey, darlin'...you've got the IP address...I'm STILL waiting!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 7, 2007 1:55:21 PM

It's OK Alexa, I know you've been thru some tough times hun but its time to let it go and move on with your life. Spending all your time posting senseless messages about Jerry Richardson on every Panther article is not the answer. I just want whats best for you!

Love,
Your mom

Posted by: Your mom | Jun 7, 2007 1:58:54 PM

Pat,
With all due respect. I am an avid reader. I also enjoy all the post by my fellow panther fans. PLEASE AND I MEAN PLEASE COULD ALL OF THESE RIDICULOUS ACCUSATIONS AND MESSAGES BY "Mrs. Hetherinton" just not even be posted!!!!! Congrats on the new addition to your family that is very exiting. Welcome Back!!!

Posted by: WOWO | Jun 8, 2007 9:23:10 AM

Pat,
I really enjoy the blog and glad you're back in action. It is great to know Fox is willing to change. On a few occasions, Fox's resolve to win appeared to be more about proving his plan is always the correct method.
Is there a way to flag this chick's post as abuse to the blog? If the story newsworthy, call the BBC, they're always looking for another sob story.

Posted by: Here's A Quarter | Jun 8, 2007 10:21:41 AM

Wow! I just saw the longest post ever on a football blog. Notice I said I saw it. I didn't read it. Have any of you ever seen Alexa Hetherington? I wonder if she's hot. Some gorgeous women out there are really psycho.

Besides all that, the Panthers are great every other year, and since last year sucked, bring on the Super Bowl. I said we should've drafted Olsen for his rreceiving skills at 14. Well we got another guy who can catch in the 2nd rd, and a defensive starter, when Morgan gets hurt, in the first, and a steal in Ryan Khalil. This year is going to be awesome, and I can't wait for the haters to recognize the Panthers are back. This year, Fox and Delhomme have their jobs on the line, and they're going to play like it.

Posted by: charlson | Jun 9, 2007 8:01:40 AM

Yo Alexis- could you concisely get to the gist of your rants? I'm always interested in hearing someone's POV but my gawd woman, get it down to a sentence or two.

You ramble on so that nobody has the time nor inclination to hear you out.

Posted by: Boonie | Jun 10, 2007 8:19:53 AM

Wow, i just started reading these blogs, that alexis sounds crazy, she just goes on and on about nothing.

Posted by: blkprince1971 | Jun 11, 2007 11:26:14 AM

NFL Europe update: My boy Jason Hall, whom I have been and will continue to brag on, has continued to tear it up. From Mike Carlson's 6/7 Europass on NFL.com:
"Cologne's bright spot against Hamburg was defensive end Jason Hall. Hall had three sacks against Hamburg, giving him 10 on the season, four short of the league record set by London Monarchs linebacker Danny Lockett in both 1991 and 1992. Coming out of Tennessee, Hall, barely 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, was looked at as a potential conversion to linebacker himself. But now, at 265 pounds, his pass-rush quickness could convince teams that he could be used like a Dwight Freeney or Elvis Dumervil, and he's earning himself a long look by the Carolina Panthers."

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 11, 2007 2:42:23 PM

1st he breaks camp early in 2006. Now practicing when it's not as hot. His team luvs this "player's coach," but he better make playoffs this year! Winning isn't a popularity contest.

Posted by: Chuck | Jun 11, 2007 9:02:37 PM

alexa,

please lay off the crack.

sincerly,