« Offensive line moves interesting | Main | Starting safeties: Salley, Cooper? »

July 30, 2007

Carr awkward but effective

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Observations from Monday morning’s practice:

• Backup quarterback David Carr has one of the most awkward throwing motions in the NFL. More often than not, he looks like a baseball pitcher stuck somewhere between over the shoulder and sidearm. But it doesn’t really seem to impact his throws. Carr’s accuracy has been good. Coach John Fox said there are no plans to tinker with Carr’s motion as he pointed to quarterbacks like Bernie Kosar, who have had success with awkward motions.
  • Coaches and players always like to say defenses are ahead of offenses at this point of camp. That’s largely true. But the exception is Steve Smith. The wide receiver has been absolutely abusing the defensive backs.
  • The more I see of second-year quarterback Brett Basanez, the more I like him. Don’t get too excited yet. Basanez is raw, doesn’t have great size and won’t be anything more than a third-string quarterback this year. But he’s showing the kind of intangibles that could move him up the depth chart in a year or two.
  • Rookie linebacker Jon Beason missed his fourth practice because of a contract holdout. Unless there's a miracle, that number will climb to five tonight.
  • We all know Drew Carter is a deep threat. But Carter had a nice grab in traffic in a short route. That’s something he hasn’t been able to do in the past. If Carter can do that with any kind of consistency, he’ll earn a lot more playing time.
  • One under-the-radar player who’s been impressive so far is defensive end Dave Ball. Keep an eye on him because he could sneak his way onto the roster. Backups Stanley McClover and Charles Johnson are pass rushers, but Ball can play the run and that’s going to help his stock.
  • The full story will be in tomorrow’s paper and on charlotte.com. But rookie center Ryan Kalil is off to a great start, despite having to deal with a major personal issue.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 30, 2007 at 03:02 PM | Permalink

Comments

How has Carr looked in Practice, I live in Houston and want to know how he is doing, Big Carr supporter/ Texan Fan, Just wondering thanks!

Posted by: Douglas Church | Jul 30, 2007 4:21:48 PM

Hes doing much better now that he is on a team with an offensive line. Thank the lord that Carr was able to get out of stinkin' Houston otherwise he probably be dead. It's amazing the Texans couldn't get an offensive line in five years. Shaub will get owned.

Posted by: Texans suck | Jul 30, 2007 4:28:37 PM

Yea Shaub has the same guys Carr had last year in front of him, I would just like to know how camp is going for him. I never understood the coaching staff in Houston for NEVER drafting a Olineman before the 3 round, 1 time in 6 drafts. I remeber when they brought in ZERO!!!! FA Olineman or Drafted one, they brought in Victor Rilley and then cut him in 6 weeks.

Posted by: Douglas Church | Jul 30, 2007 4:34:18 PM

*I've been a believer in Brett Basanez from the beginning. He had a PHENOMENAL career at Northwestern, which isn't exactly a QB factory. I don't think he's the kind of guy you'd want to pencil in as your starter, but in terms of being able to be a steady presence who can account for himself in the vent he has to step in for an injured guy, I think he can absolutely be that guy. Furthermore, he will likely stay cheap.
*Also, there's no reason a guy like Dave Ball shouldn't be able to compete in the league. He's another guy who had a FANTASTIC career at UCLA, and we've got the coaching to fill in his gaps. Still, though, look out for Jason Hall once he comes off of his rehab for a minor knee injury.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 30, 2007 5:16:14 PM

What's Jasons timetable to be back?

Posted by: S.H. | Jul 30, 2007 9:42:45 PM

He told some of his old school friends was supposed to miss the first week of camp in a facebook group we made for him:
"Hey thanks everybody for all the shout-outs and the luv. I am back from Europe as the final reigning Defensive MVP since they have shut down the league. I am fortunate that I was able to get the experience and accomplish what I set out to do. However, unfortunately I suffered a minor injury out there so now I will be having a minor knee surgery Tues. July 10th so pray for me, but I should only be out a month. I will probably miss the first week of training camp and that's all. I don't know what will happen in Carolina, but I feel good about my chances regardless. Wish me luck and thanks again for everything!"

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 30, 2007 10:18:17 PM

So maybe they get the chance to IR him and take another look next year if it's not looking like he'll get a spot.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 30, 2007 10:18:59 PM

Has Michael Gaines fallen out of favor with Fox and the staff? Gaines dropped some passes last year and did catch the ball for a TD and is capable of running well after the catch. Will he be given the same opportunity other players are given to succeed?

Posted by: SEW Jr. | Jul 31, 2007 7:53:40 AM

Gaines is a TERRIBLE pass-catcher. Certainly the strongest and best blocking TE we have these days, but I think the team would rather have someone with a more balanced skill set in there, like King.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 31, 2007 1:24:13 PM

Speaking of not messing with Carr's throwing motion, an article in ESPN mag stated that Carr and his agent basically would only talk seriously to teams who stated they would not mess with his motion. It was one of the things the Texans did which he feels damaged his progress.

Posted by: Need tickets | Jul 31, 2007 4:29:04 PM

Carr's motion didn't hurt him when he was tearing up teams from the Big 10, Pac 10, or WAC in College, nor was it an issue when he got drafted. What became an issue in Houston was the lack of talent around him. He had no protection. His receiving corps was sub par. His O-line took a dive every week, and what did he get for it? He got the record for getting sacked the most times. He got the crap beat out of him, and he got traded. Give him some protection, and some serious threats on the offensive side of the ball, and Carr will do just fine. I happen to like both of the Carolina Panther quarterback's, and I think that you guys are in a very enviable position as Panthers fans with them being there. can't wait for the season to begin. I live in Ca, and got the NFL Pass just to watch the Panthers now. If Jake can't get it done, then Dave will come in and prove why he was chosen # 1, and Houston is going to live to regret it. I can't wait for that to happen.

Posted by: mike | Aug 1, 2007 1:14:35 AM

I'm not concerned about the D-Line, and these potential third stringers for two reasons: our starters are pretty good, and the coaching staff is good at picking personnel and coaching who they pick. Our D-Line is going to be pretty good, and I think Kris Jenkins shows everyone that last year's Pro Bowl was not a gimme due to reputation (even though we know it was.) David Carr had a problem in Houston of holding onto the ball too long and eyeing one receiver too long. He has a bad throwing motion, too, but he still completed over 68% of his passes and Jake throws the ball too high. If Jake can bring it down and hit receivers in stride, and learn to look off defenders, then Carr never gets on the field. If not, Carr takes over, and we still get to the Super Bowl and win it all.

Posted by: charlsong1 | Aug 1, 2007 6:42:26 AM

I can't wait for Carr to start for you guys either.

Please let him start against Houston. We fear Jake Delhomme MUCH more than ole Chuck & Duck. Jake went toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Carr has yet to win a game with any real significance.

Posted by: Sam J from CLC, TX | Aug 1, 2007 9:59:44 AM