« Diggs' injury 'just a hiccup' | Main | Veterans have message for Beason »

July 31, 2007

Observations from Tuesday's practice

Wide receiver Steve Smith didn't practice. He's not injured. He was just getting a day of rest.

The wide receiver position is going to be a lot more competitive than a lot of people think when it comes time to trim the roster. Smith and Dwayne Jarrett are locks and Drew Carter is safe. Rookie Ryne Robinson is going to make the team as a return man. Although it remains to be seen if Robinson will have any impact as a receiver, he’ll take up a roster spot. That’s four receivers and the Panthers will carry either five or six. Keary Colbert is also firmly in the mix for playing time, but Taye Biddle and Chris Horn have to be factored in. Biddle is making some plays as a receiver and is showing signs he can fill some of the special teams roles previously held by Karl Hankton and Horn also has the tools to be a special teams regular.

By the way, Carter made a catch in traffic in the end zone Tuesday. That’s at least the second time that’s happened this camp and it could be a sign of huge progress because Carter never has been much of a factor in that situation before.

There’s been a little more noise than last year in practices. That’s because the offense no longer is snapping the ball on "one’’ every play. You can hear Jake Delhomme and David Carr mixing up the counts a lot and that’s caused some movement on the defensive front.

It’s easy to see the tight ends are going to have bigger roles in the passing game. Jeff King continues to catch every thing thrown his way. Even Michael Gaines, a non-factor most of last year, has been making some plays.

Speaking of tight ends, rookie Dante Rosario is doing double duty, getting work at tight end and fullback.

Here’s a scene that Panthers fans should hope to see a lot more of this season: Running back DeAngelo Williams ran a go-route in Tuesday’s practice, burned the defensive back and caught a bomb from Delhomme.

It will be interesting to see if running back Nick Goings stays on the roster now that offensive coordinator Dan Henning is gone. Goings was a Henning favorite, but he could be in jeopardy if Eric Shelton (not a Henning favorite) shows any signs he’s capable of being the third running back.

Defensive end Julius Peppers continues to do things defensive ends aren't supposed to be able to do. He intercepted a Jake Delhomme pass.

Very quietly, defensive end Dave Ball continues to have a nice camp. Ball had a play where he broke through the line and would have sacked David Carr, if contact on quarterbacks wasn't banned.

Posted by Observer Sports on July 31, 2007 at 06:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

Is anyone not performing well?

Posted by: JanitorDan | Jul 31, 2007 6:49:29 PM

Options, options, options! I love it! Sounds like our offense is going to better utilize the tallent on this roster. Different snap counts to keep defenses jumpy, tight ends who actually have to be considered a pass threat, running backs running go routes! It will be much harder to game plan against us.
This is awesome!

Posted by: Christian | Jul 31, 2007 8:11:59 PM

Does everyone remember how accurate Jake was while wearing the glove in the final game. I hope someone reminds him of this. It could be our ace in the hole this year.

Posted by: thefan | Jul 31, 2007 11:07:04 PM

Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana, Ecstasy and Alcohol.

c-c-c-c-c-cocaine

Posted by: Feel Good Post of the Summer | Jul 31, 2007 11:09:48 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else totally shocked that the Panthers snapped the ball on the first count every time? I thought it was a no brainer to vary the count. Could we really be that dumb?

Posted by: Ron | Jul 31, 2007 11:18:09 PM

I was already looking forward to the start of the season, but after reading this article i'm ready for it to start yesterday. If the Panthers are able to use in games what Pat saw in practice this is going to be one fun season.

Posted by: Steve H. | Aug 1, 2007 1:09:06 AM

Colbert was supposed to be on the rise last training camp as well. Maybe he had another "secret injury" last year and will somehow find a way to get open now. I am hoping that Robinson can turn into Smith-lite, the Panthers probably hoped the same thing by stretching for him in the 4th round. He couldn't have a better mentor...

Posted by: Brant | Aug 1, 2007 3:39:25 AM

Does thefan remember that New Orleans was playing their practice squad players that game? I think I'll take my Pro Bowl QB WITHOUT the glove OR the thumb injury.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 1, 2007 3:42:11 AM

Yeah, the WR position is going to be competitive...that's what happens when you have one good player and 10 crappy players competing for a few spots.

YMCA leagues are pretty competitive, too.

And LOL @ the Peppers comment. Defensive ends, defensive players, and Steve Smith are the only guys in the league that catch Delhomme's passes.

That's why they'll be 6-10 this year.

Posted by: Will | Aug 1, 2007 7:26:51 AM

Michael Procton you should go back over to the BET Black Every Time message board and continue kissing Bob Johnson's ass.

Posted by: thefan | Aug 1, 2007 7:41:46 AM

Will is a secret Blackcat fan to. He goes to the blackcat board and trashes the Panthers. The more he writes the more retarded he sounds.

Posted by: thefan | Aug 1, 2007 7:43:25 AM

Maybe if you kept your retarded @ss over here instead of stinking up the Bobcat area, I wouldn't have to come over here and get you to smell the roses when it comes to your sh*tty NFL team.

Posted by: Will | Aug 1, 2007 7:47:44 AM

And don't get mad at me for the Panthers sucking. As we've seen from the Bobcats section, you like complaining about the owner.

If ever their was an owner to complain about, it'd be Richardson and his group of perpetually-mediocre criminal thugs.

6-10.

Posted by: Will | Aug 1, 2007 7:49:13 AM

I also thought it was a given to vary the snap count. Duh! Must be alot of mentally challenged athletes and coaches in the nfl if we beat 8 teams and never changed the snap count.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 1, 2007 8:05:46 AM

Hey, 6-10 is VERY possible unless we find a 1000-yard back and T-go does something other than sit back and watch receivers come open across the middle to convert 3rd downs.

I'm still not convinced -- for example -- that we fired the right co-ordinator.

This defense HAS to be more aggressive and Pep should NOT be 20 yards down field half the time, playing SS.

Posted by: JAT | Aug 1, 2007 9:28:06 AM

Just so everything is disclosed I am a employee of the Bobcats. This is why I am always looking to pump up Bob Johnson. Oh yeah I am black he will not hire white people.

Posted by: taxpayer | Aug 1, 2007 10:10:07 AM

taxpayer you do not work for the bobcats. I work for them so I would know. I enjoy sucking I mean pumping up Rent-A-Jordan and BET (Black Every Time) Bob Johnson

Posted by: will | Aug 1, 2007 10:11:31 AM

We always do better when there are not a lot of high expectations. I personally feel that this team, with the rookies, everyone being healthy, and Jake having some competition, should feel as good about their chances as we did last preseason. Keyshann is gone and so will be his poor route running and drops.

Posted by: pslholder | Aug 1, 2007 10:35:27 AM

i dont understand how this became about Bob Johnson. Will I understand you missing something in your life since you come here and Bobcat blog and always have something bad to say. And the Rent A Jordan thing is crazy, so I guess you was a big George Shinn fan. Panther going to playoffs and Bobcats going to playoffs, live with it.

Posted by: steve | Aug 1, 2007 1:35:27 PM

Deangelo, King and Carter all making tough catches... Jake confusing the defense with his counting... all sounds great! And Steve Smith wasn't even mentioned! There is a good Steve Smith article at www.charlottesportsblog.com

Posted by: Jaxon | Aug 1, 2007 2:13:45 PM

Procton must have forgot that we beat New Orleans twice last year once with the glove once without it. The Saints talent does not compare to the Panther’s. Last year their schedule was easy, they were healthy, the Panther’s was hard and they were injured. Regardless we still sweeped them.

Posted by: Jaxon | Aug 1, 2007 2:22:19 PM

No, I didn't forget that at all...I'm simply stating a fact that one game with a glove (which I hate for quarterbacks) against NO's backups does not mean that a QB with PRO BOWL experience should change his equipment philosophy. And furthermore, Jaxon (whatever the hell that is), it would be swept...hope those remedial classes went well this summer.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 1, 2007 3:10:57 PM

Well, I moved out of Mecklenburg county after the city council built Black Johnson his arena and the taxpayers voted it down. I wish someone would build me a new building to run my for profit business out of.
Richardson has class and built most of his own stadium, other than a land grant and the PSL owners, which yes I am.
All this talk of the offense is nice, as long as Fox's input doesnt result in calling draw play on 3rd and 7 every series.

Posted by: screaming sheep | Aug 1, 2007 9:41:01 PM

Does anyone give a shit if Michael Procton likes the glove or not.

Posted by: thefan | Aug 1, 2007 10:21:35 PM

That explains why will was seen coming out from under the table that Bob (Black Every Time) Johnson, and Rent-A-Jordan, and Friends of Rent-A-Jordan was having dinner at last night.

Will is it true what they say about their size?

Posted by: gay is will | Aug 2, 2007 5:16:00 PM