« Bridges may be odd man out | Main | Safety shopping starts tonight »

August 30, 2007

Bell to toil tonight, but tomorrow ...

0830daltonbell_2

Quarterback Dalton Bell came into camp with only a slightly better chance of making the Panthers' final roster than we had of seeing a Beatles' reunion.

Bell was the fourth quarterback, the guy to fill in after the players the team actually cared about had gotten all their work in for the day.  But this week, an unlikely confluence of events has conspired
to bring Bell front and center as Carolina prepares to play Pittsburgh tonight at Bank of America Stadium.

It started last week, when some big bozo stepped on backup quarterback David Carr's right pinky toe and broke the little guy.  Carr can still throw, but he's hobbled a bit and the Panthers won't
want to overuse him tonight. Then Monday, we found out that third-stringer Brett Basanez will miss the entire season with an injured right wrist.

That same practice saw starter Jake Delhomme clutch at his side after launching a pass, and, while everyone involved insists it's just a "tweak," Delhomme has gotten little work since.

With the starters scheduled to play just one or two series tonight, rest assured that Bell will play most of the rest of the game. And the guy with 0.1 percent chance of making the club will get a  chance to show what he can do.

Bell hasn't been overly impressive so far. Coach John Fox said  some nice things about him the other day, but Fox would say nice things  about the team's baggage handlers after they had dropped the  video equipment.  So watch closely and make your own judgments  tonight.

With Basanez out, expect Carolina to go with two quarterbacks on  the final roster. But Bell could make the practice squad.  That is, if he doesn't throw for 250 yards tonight. Last week, 14 teams sent scouts to the Panthers' game, and there will probably be more tonight.

If Bell is too good, he just might be gone.

--Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on August 30, 2007 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Seeing as how Jake, Carr, and Basenez are all out, why dont you include who will back-up Bell? Once again, I've got to go digging for information that should be presented in these entries.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 30, 2007 12:27:37 PM

does it really matter who will back up Bell? once Delhomme and Carr are finished, Bell will play the rest of the game no matter how well (or not well) he plays. the only way anyone else plays QB is if Bell gets hurt, and in that case we will have some non-QB fill in and probably run the ball the rest of the game.

Posted by: papa | Aug 30, 2007 12:47:22 PM

mattdaddy, you couldn't do yasinskas job if it only involved writing you name. Get off the guys back. He does his job well and does give you infomation that is well informed. While it would be nice to know who his back up WOULD be, who gives a hoot. If you had any common sense you would know that it would only be someone to hand off. They could put Otis Grigsby in there to take a knee for every snap. Who cares? 95% of the roster is set. There are maybe 5 roster spots still up for grabs and those will be set by the 3rd quarter when Bell comes in the game. Quit complaining about things and be happy to have any info even if its not exactly what you want. Of course you would probably win the lottery and bitch that its a quarter short.

Posted by: pantherfan925 | Aug 30, 2007 3:40:51 PM

No, I'm not a paid journalist who has had a long career in sports journalism, so no I probably couldn't. But it urks me when I see other smaller newspapers with only one beat writer come up with more original, thought provoking articles than the newspaper for the largest city in the state. If Bell comes out and is injured and another position play had to line up behind center, thats a story in itself. Surely with Jake and Carr banged up, someone must be taking snaps at practice. Who is that person?? Thats all I'm saying that these guys need to start telling us things we, or most of us, already know like the Defense is better when Jenkins is playing good, wow, who woulda thought!!!

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 30, 2007 4:11:35 PM

I bet I could do his job. Let's see...

While talking to a pro scout I know from a different team today, he stated to me that if the Panthers win 12 or more games, they have a very good chance of making the playoffs.

See? It's not that hard.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 30, 2007 4:53:03 PM

LMAO!!!!! You guys are halarious. The comments are more interesting then the article! Pleeeeease keep up the good work, Mattdaddy! I'll be looking forward to the next entertaining set of afterthoughts.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 30, 2007 5:04:25 PM

BTW... Yeah, Sorenson says some goofy things sometimes (who doesn't?) and his articles aren't always pulitzer prize winners, but overall I think the guy is great and look forward to reading what he has to say... just for the record. :)

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 30, 2007 5:14:46 PM

Mattdaddy,
As Carr said the other day (if you had happened to read the actual paper), Ryne Robinson was taking the snaps. It was kind of old news, but I guess I could've put it in there again. You sure you don't write for one of those smaller papers you're always referring to?
Like our fellow posters said, don't expect to actually see Ryne under center...
I'm new to this blog thing; didn't realize every one had to pass your inspection

Posted by: stan olson | Aug 30, 2007 5:41:49 PM

I am very sorry to say that I agree with mattdaddy. The Gaston Gazette regularly scoops the Observer. They are quoted constantly by the national sites, while the Observer seems pleased to do a third rate job of covering our team. I have actually found two excellent articles on the Panthers in the Tampa Tribune. Really sad when the enemies paper does a better job on your team than your paper twicew during the pre-season.

Posted by: Superman89 | Aug 30, 2007 5:45:01 PM

Yeah, Stan! Didn't you know that every minute detail has to be squeezed into 1000 words or less? No way should I actually have to read more than one article! Come on! What do you expect from the readers? Actually reading?

[/sarcasm]

Posted by: Chris | Aug 30, 2007 6:17:09 PM

[/sarcasm]

Posted by: Chris | Aug 30, 2007 6:17:21 PM

I'm glad to see Stan says, "it was kind of old news". I wonder why the Associated Press doesn't use that logic when they include background information on every follow-up story from politics, sports, international news, etc., to not only refresh readers' minds but also to inform those that didn't get a chance to read the original story.

I doubt Mattdaddy writes for one of the other local papers seeing as how they already have excellent talent.

Keep up the good work Mattdaddy! I echo the sentiments of one great American named SYRPIS.

Posted by: Matt A. | Aug 30, 2007 6:29:53 PM

Changing subjects, I predict Otis Grigsby, Kenyatta Walker, and Taye Biddle will get cut after tonight. Not very exciting, but I still like to try and predict who will make the final 53. Why don't we start a blog on that?

Posted by: ZJ | Aug 30, 2007 6:38:22 PM

Posted by: ZJ | Aug 30, 2007 6:42:34 PM

Posted by: ZJ | Aug 30, 2007 6:42:42 PM

The critics of the reporters sound like inexperienced adolescents.

Posted by: lp | Aug 30, 2007 6:43:41 PM

Also, in reference to the "old news" line.. Why on earth doesn't the CO use this logic when they continually take random quotes from past (old) articles and mix them together with a couple of new paragraphs and call it a NEW story?

And as for the final 53 thread idea, it's already going on at carolinagrowl.com.

Posted by: jason | Aug 30, 2007 6:58:15 PM

Ya know you don't have to actually read the blog.

Posted by: stating the obivious | Aug 30, 2007 7:20:16 PM

In the words of the immortal Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

I hate to see the sportswriters being trashed. After all, it's their job, and they have families to feed. How would you like your boss and fellow co-workers critiquing your own job performance on a public forum?

I was taught, as a good Southern boy, that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" and "Disagree without being disagreeable." Of course, we're adults and we'll disagree and argue, but why not try doing it in a civil manner?

If you're unhappy on the blog, you could always go over to www.catscratchreader.com/ for some great analysis and discussion on the Panthers.

By the way, if Bell got hurt tonight, the answer is simple. Carr or Jake would come back in the game and finish it out. This is football, remember -- unlimited substitution.

Posted by: NewPantherFan | Aug 30, 2007 9:19:01 PM

NewPantherFan, first, they signed up for the job, not me or anyone else that doesn't prefer their work. That's the same logic athletes use when they don't want to be considered role models. "I'm just trying to feed my kids...leave me alone." Well, if that's the case then go get a job at FedEx or something where you won't be opened up to public scrutiny and/or criticism because it comes with the territory in the 21st century of the careers these men selected.

Secondly, I'm not their boss or their co-worker. I'm a reader/consumer and the last time I checked we live in a free market society and the C.O. is a business serving the public, thus, they have opened themselves up to market forces. Being a reading/consumer, I'm a part of the market and at least from the area I occupy in the market I'm saying that I want a better product than what is currently being put out.

Yeah, I'll admit maybe the rhetoric gets a little too caustic on these fellows as I'm sure they are good guys in real life and I'll work on toning that down. They are obviously good writers, however, they just don't seem to be good reporters. Perhaps, that's not their fault, but the fault of their editor and the direction he has set for his newsroom.

However, as another old southern saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, or perhaps, another one, such as, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." So, until the product improves my criticism will not decrease.

Posted by: Matt A. | Aug 31, 2007 12:11:57 AM

Matt,

You make some good points, and we probably don't disagree as much as it may appear. Your analogy of the writers and athletes doesn't work -- kids don't walk around wearing writers' names on their shirts. So it's ironic that writers are held to a higher standard by their employers in their personal life. If the writers pulled any of the stunts that some trashy athletes do, they would be fired summarily.

A better analogy would be Jake. I have seen some unnecessarily harsh things written about him. His play is certainly subject to criticism and review by the fans and the writers. But must it be so crude and coarse? Why not show some respect for what he has achieved for this team?

I agree that the reporting could be much better. I have been disappointed that the Panther coverage in the Observor is not of a higher quality. I have had to go to other sources to get more coverage, and I have found Cat Scratch Reader to have the best and most objective reporting and analysis on the Panthers, both timely and thorough (and he's not even on a payroll). The management of the Observor should invite fans to tell them what changes they would like to see.

I am not suggesting at all that the writers are above criticism and disagreement. I was just hoping for more reason and logic in the comments here, and less vitriolic and personal attacks. Attack the work, not the man.

Posted by: NewPantherFan | Aug 31, 2007 7:47:56 AM

The question here is how in the new issue of Sports Illustrated quotes John Fox as saying that the offense hasn't "lit it up" in the five years he has been the coach. Has that quote appeared in any oberver stories? (props to Matt A.)

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 31, 2007 7:51:56 AM

Or, what about this quote from Steve Smith in the Winston-Salem Journal:
“I know offensively we need to get it together,” receiver Steve Smith said. “We’re not doing a very good job in the passing game. I don’t know what the problem is. I can’t put my finger on it. I’m just saying the passing game, it’s not as good as we need to be with the season coming to a head pretty soon. We need to get it fixed very quickly.”
It is being covered and discussed at www.catscratchreader.com/

Posted by: NewPantherFan | Aug 31, 2007 9:46:02 AM

and what about this comment, you have way too much time on your hands to analyze beat writers. SC-daddy

Posted by: SC | Aug 31, 2007 9:49:16 PM

honestly, it takes about 2 minutes to analyze a beat writer. The time you wasted by making that comment is the same amount of time I could waste criticizing the staff.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 31, 2007 10:25:47 PM