« A fanfest for Panthers sponsors | Main | Bridges may be odd man out »

August 28, 2007

Jenkins key to DL success?

In a preseason where there haven’t been a lot of positives, there’s been one very pleasant and quiet surprise.

We haven’t heard much from defensive tackle Kris Jenkins since he did a lengthy interview with The Observer on the first day of training camp – and that’s a good thing. Jenkins cleared the air about his controversial offseason when he did talk and said he was committed to and focused on spending this season with the Panthers.

Through training camp and three preseason games, Jenkins has done exactly what he said he would. He made it through camp without missing a  practice, which is impressive for a guy who has a history of injury and weight issues.

His weight appears to be under control. And, most important of all, Jenkins, who the Panthers tried to trade in the offseason, seems to be content.

Don’t underestimate the importance of a healthy, happy and productive Jenkins in the lineup.

One scout I know from another team was at the preseason game against New England last week, said Jenkins can be the single-biggest key to Carolina’s season.

“A few years back, everybody thought they had the best defensive line in the league,’’ the scout said. “That was a few years ago and that’s when Jenkins was healthy. They haven’t been near that level the last few years. But he can change all that because he can be such a presence on the inside.’’

The scout said Jenkins has looked very good in the preseason, but he hasn’t been impressed by Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis, the other two top tackles.

“You can live with one of them if Jenkins is the old Jenkins an you’ve got Julius Peppers on the outside,’’ the scout said. “If Jenkins and Peppers are playing well, everybody else on that line suddenly gets a lot better.’’

-- Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on August 28, 2007 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

Comments

Good job.............stating the obvious.

That scout sure sounds like he is one of the best in the business. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if Jenkins is healthy and playing well and Peppers is in there the line gets much better.

Posted by: Matt A. | Aug 28, 2007 1:34:23 PM

Whoever that scout is, I agree with them on Kemo. He doesn't play with the kind of power you'd expect from a man of his size. I've never seen a 350 lbs. DT get manhandled by the O-line so often.

Posted by: Jerad H. | Aug 28, 2007 1:54:58 PM

Yeah, thanks for the insight, Pat. I didn't know that a healthy productive Jenkins would make us better. I think you guys must work like 2 hours a day. Break a story for once.

Posted by: McLovin | Aug 28, 2007 1:57:14 PM

Hey Matt A. and McLovin, you guys are the ones that need to get a job or something. All I ever see posted is negative crap on this blog related to the Panthers, or whoever happened to have written the post. You don't like what there saying?? Here's an idea, STOP READING IT!! Bunch of whiny crybabies.

Posted by: Norm | Aug 28, 2007 2:18:50 PM

I'm always so glad when I get a chance to read the comments. I always get to see so many knowledgable people who seem to already know everything writers and sources have to say. Congratulations on feeling superior because you know that if someone is playing well, it's a good thing.

The fact that Jenkins is not having issues and is looking very good is something I'm happy to hear from pro scouts, and I'm interested to read Kemo and Lewis are not impressing.

Way to pick out a positive note Pat chose to end on, and "rip it apart" to prove what a great football analyst you are.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 28, 2007 2:21:14 PM

Where the hell has Pep been this preseason. I'm glad Jenkins is doing well but Pep needs to shake the bug, wake up, and start playing football. HEY PEP, get in the game!!

Posted by: Jake Fan | Aug 28, 2007 2:48:54 PM

Its great to see readers rip the Panthers beat writers. As fans of the team and the nfl, we want insightful, original articles and stories from those who have access to the team. When those guys fall short of providing insightful, original stories, its expected that the readers voice their concerns. Given the fact that the Observer his stationed in Charlotte and has a handful of writers covering the panthers, and have the largest budget of the area papers, they are expected to offer the best coverage, which they do not, and they should be held accountable.

Posted by: sadshawn | Aug 28, 2007 3:07:41 PM

Pat thanks for the blog, do this for me find out what was “really” wrong with Peppers and if Salley will need surgery.

Posted by: Roger | Aug 28, 2007 3:22:11 PM

I think steve smith is good at football.

Posted by: thunder3 | Aug 28, 2007 3:58:52 PM

Some people are never happy with anything. If all you guys have all the answers, start your own website or blog and blow our socks off. It's pathetic that reading the comments leaves you scratching your head and wondering what they had to do with what was written. Get over it or move on, it's really that simple.

Posted by: John Watson | Aug 28, 2007 5:07:28 PM

I am stupid and I cant say things that are in my head without passing them off as "a scout said"

Posted by: Pat Yasinkas | Aug 28, 2007 5:43:43 PM

Come on! How can anyone excuse such pathetic attempts at journalism? As was stated,there are several reporters on this paper, who "supposedly" have exclusive access to the team. Yet, every article we see here can be seen on several other sites with slightly different wording surrounding the same old quotes that many of us have seen 3 or 4 times, by the time it's in the C.O. Yeah, a scout said. He must be the same scout that said last year Thomas Davis wasn't picking things up too well? LMAO

Posted by: jason | Aug 28, 2007 10:26:09 PM

Hey Jason, why don't you and the other 3 year old whiney girls complaining on here do yourself a favor and LEARN WHAT A BLOG IS..

Posted by: Get a clue | Aug 29, 2007 11:11:28 AM

Get a clue?.. I have enough of a clue to not need someone to tell me "a scout said" Thomas Davis isn't looking very good or the line will be better if Jenkins is healthy or Bridges might lose his spot if Kalil plays well.

I also know what a BLOG is. It shouldn't be a place to try and pass off the obvious as something said by a "pro scout."

And, finally, I am a grown man. Of course, if you know so little about football that you find this BLOG to be the least bit informative, you probably aren't old enough to know better than to call people names.

Posted by: jason | Aug 29, 2007 12:35:40 PM

I do know what a BLOG is.....it's called

www.ProFootballTalk.com

And it's not even run by so-called journalists and it blows these lazy farts out of the water.

And Norm....think about something, if all you see if negative stuff about the blog, then why do you think that might be? Maybe because that's the only response you can have to such shabby reporting. The Observer is typically a day late behind other area newspapers in reporting things. The things they include in their "blogs" are something a guy at a bar could come up with. These men are supposed to be professional journalists covering a professional sport with professional and self-derived opinions. They may be nice guys in real life, and I actually enjoy hearing Stan Olson on Packman. However, it seems to me that we have minor league journalists covering a professional sport giving bush league analysis. I'm a reader and consumer of this product so I have every right in the world to voice my opinion on a crappy product.

I never have negative things to say when I visit www.carolinagrowl.com because it's insightful stuff that the Observer typically reports a day late.

I'm sorry Norm, that the standard of Panthers reporting that you are used to comes from either the Winston-Salem Journal or Greensboro News & Record or perhaps it's the High Point Enterprise you know since you all will never have a professional sports team in the area. The Observer looks like the Wall Street Journal compared to them, but when my standard is at the level where I find the best reporting done by the longest tenured Panthers beat writer, Steve Reed, and he's located in a suburb of Charlotte I have a reason to be negative.

Now, why don't you grow up, Norm, and devise an argument towards me like an intellectual human being instead of a juvenile adolescent who resorts to calling someone a crybaby.

Posted by: Matt A. | Aug 29, 2007 2:34:50 PM

Matt A, you got it RIGHT on all points, there are others setting the bar (profootballtalk, S Reed, WSJ)and the C.O. doesnt even come close to that baseline especially for being a "local" media outlet.

Posted by: catdawgman | Aug 29, 2007 6:01:38 PM

I personally flipped the bit on the CO's Panthers coverage -- which I was really rooting to reach the level found in most other NFL cities -- with Sorensen's column on Keyshawn's departure.

I was agnostic on Key, but for Tom to sit on the Big Cat being unhappy with Key since the Philly game and wait until he was released was seriously weak and told me CO values access over information.

So it has been with the defense under Trgo -- constantly underachieving with glaring holes. Pass catching TEs have ripped this defense for years -- should've never lost to a sorry Redskin team last year -- and using Pep in coverage half the time is insane. (At least Fowler addressed that a little today.)

Also, I am behind tired of the stance that we are going to be told how the NFL REALLY works. As we are Andy Griffith wondering into a game.

Bottomline is this defense has serious problems. The DTs are supposed to catch blocks and let Morgan make plays -- except when Morgan can't play. Slow DTs on the line cripple Pep -- you can't use twists effectively to set up lineman for Pep's change of direction. Besides Trgo thinks bringing an LB off the edge works better that bringing Pep. The safety position is a mess, the CBs erratic.

Pray this team has a massive running game cuz we will need to keep the D off the field and score a ton of points.

Posted by: JAT | Aug 29, 2007 9:16:26 PM

"CO values access over information."

Sometimes, I think this is the case but then again, I look at what they write and there, VERY RARELY, is anything even close to "exclusive." So, what access could they be afraid to jeapordize? It's painfully obvious at times that at least some of them don't have a clue when it comes to football or the Panthers.

Posted by: jason | Aug 29, 2007 10:40:36 PM

great job Matt A. and Catdawgman, you guys are on point. I'd expect the paper who is stationed in CHARLOTTE to have more exclusive stories and to offer better commentary, but it has yet to happen.

I have a suggestion, I've heard Brentson Buckner appear on 610 WFNZ's the Mac Attack (shout out to Gump!!) and he offers great analysis of the Panthers. The Observor should hire him to run this Blog and take questions from the readers seeing as how the current staff is incapable of doing either.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 30, 2007 9:52:00 AM

All these blogs are amusing to me. You have an editor such as Pat Y, who could care less about the team b/c he has a job and a Journalism S--- bag degree, ask simple controversial questions to get everyone fired up. And everyone feeds into it by attacking each other. And then you have these over-achievers who want to critiqe every single word you write just b/c they didn't make the pee-wee roster. Bottom line, Mike Trgvok needs to go. He is the epitome of wasted talent.

Posted by: SC | Aug 31, 2007 9:36:09 PM

I agree with SC... Turgovac is a product of the Passive approach too football as John Fox, Dan Hennning and Marty Hurney, Prefer! I understand Henning is not the coordinator, NOW! just making a point for all you analyticals, Turgovac... This is why Fox hired him! The Passive/Conservative Offense and the Passive "BEND DON'T BREAK" DEFENSE!!!! Last season against the Cowboys, Romo his first start, NO Blitz, just played conservative too see if he made a mistake! 2ND --Jason Campbell(Redskins) a week later, his second start, 1 Blitz entire game and was a sack made by, whats his face cannot remember? Nuff said! Fox is a Football relation to Capers and Seifert! Conservative!!!!! This is the 80's NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! You have the talent USE IT TOO ITs FULL POTENTIAL!!!!

Posted by: bt | Aug 31, 2007 11:26:28 PM

ALSO, I AM SCREAMING!!! RIGHT NOW! MONTHS AGO WHEN ALL YOU HATERS OF JENKINS, CALLING HIM A FAT WASTE! WAS BUMPING YOUR GUMS. TALKING ABOUT HOW MANY HAMBURGERS HE WAS CONSUMING.. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING NOW? WHEN I SAID WAIT AND SEE, WHEN THE SEASON STARTED. THAT ALL OF YOU HATERS WOULD EAT YOUR IGNORANT WORDS! WHERE ARE YOU!!??? I HAVE BEEN AWAY FOR A WHILE.. TOO BUSY FOR IGNORANT CHATTER ABOUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW! I SAID HE WAS PURE ENERGY, PURE POWER, NATURAL STRENTH, NOT ARTIFICIAL LIKE SOME! OH!!!! HE's TOO FAT!! HE'S A FAT SLOB!! LETS HEAR IT!! LETS TALK ABOUT THE TOPIC NOT ABOUT THE WRITERS!!! SOMEONE RECALL MY COMMENTS AND SAY, They were WRONG!!!!!! If your not scared too say Scared! yeah a presaeason series but he is in there making a difference! DON'T JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW MANY OF YOU SAID TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE TRADE!!!!!! KISS MY ASSS!!!!!!!!!! HOW MANY TIMES DID I SAY ALL OF YOU OPPURTUNISTIC PEOPLE WOULD EAT YOUR WORDS IF HE WAS HERE OR SOMEONE ELSE. OK!!! FOR ALL OF YOU DOUBTERS STILL HIDE AND WATCH!!!!!! IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bt | Sep 1, 2007 12:42:04 AM