« Veterans have message for Beason | Main | Who's getting a monster contract extension? »

August 01, 2007

Safety position still a concern

SPARTANBURG – Observations from Wednesday’s afternoon practice:

+ Don’t hit the panic button just yet, but move your hand a little closer. The first-team safeties were journeyman Deke Cooper and seventh-round draft pick C.J. Wilson. And Wilson got scorched on the first play of team drills.

Cooper and Wilson were out there because veteran Mike Minter was given the afternoon off and Nate Salley suffered a knee injury in the morning practice. Salley’s injury isn’t believed to be serious, so there is some consolation. But I still think radio broadcaster Eugene Robinson might be the best safety on the team’s payroll.

+ On the bright side, Spartanburg now has a Hooters and safety Cam Newton, suddenly elevated to the second team, made a nice interception.

+ Just out of curiosity, why is Jeremy Bridges working as the first-string right guard? He’s been suspended by the team for the first two games of the regular season. Coaches love to talk about continuity when they talk about the offensive line. Why let a guy work for a month as a starter when you know he won’t be there for opening day?

+ Keep waiting for running back Eric Shelton to step up and shine in the new offense. Still haven’t seen any signs of hope.

+ Wide receiver Chris Horn wears the same number (81) as Ricky Proehl did. He also plays like Proehl. Horn had two touchdown catches in heavy traffic. Horn’s bounced around the league a bit, but he sure looks like he has a shot at a roster spot.

Posted by Observer Sports on August 1, 2007 at 05:57 PM | Permalink

Comments

I saw this Horn guy in practice and he seems to be an underrated force. He is usual in the right spot at the right time when it comes to catching balls. Hopefully he can make the roster, because i think he can help the team out just how proehl used to do. Lets go Panthers!!!!!!!!

ps. Fellow Panther Fans, I am sure you have been noticing comments from Will the anti Panther fan. Please express your discontent for him at the end of your comments; this idiot has to go!!!!!

Posted by: bra | Aug 1, 2007 6:33:15 PM

Maybe will is really Bill, as in Maas, the original brain-challenged Panther hater, getting his kicks pre-prison?

Posted by: catchick | Aug 1, 2007 7:27:05 PM

This Cam Newton,and Quinn Teal has been looking good at pratice.Especially Newton,whose he? where he come from? Keep your eyes on this one.

Posted by: FATTDADDY385 | Aug 2, 2007 2:18:39 AM

Cam Newton is Syvelle Newton's older brother, I think. He and Teal are both from Marboro, SC. They both played safety at the same high school. Tremendous workers.
Go Panthers!

Posted by: catchick | Aug 2, 2007 8:58:01 AM

Not to brag on my football genius, but prior to the start of the 05 season I told anyone who would listen that by mid season Shelton would be THE GUY at running back.

Hopefully Cam Newton and Quinton Teal can have an impact on the safety position. Both are from the same high school in S.C.

Well, back to my day job.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 2, 2007 12:50:11 PM

Cam starred at Furman. A great hitter with good coverage skills at that level. A much harder worker than Syvelle!

Posted by: S.H. | Aug 2, 2007 2:01:17 PM

in less than 24 hours we sign a former practice squadder safety and trade for another safety...is nate salley done for the season or something?

Posted by: scout | Aug 2, 2007 4:01:44 PM

I am Will. I am the illegitimate son of Black Every Time Bob Johnson. He told me to get on these message boards and trash the panthers and praise the bobcats. Dad told me that if I can get some of those psl holders to buy tickets to see the bobcats play that he would let me meet Rent-A-Jordan sometime.

Did anyone notice that daddy Bob named his team after his first name BOBcats, get it?

Just think if Mr. Richardson had as big of a ego as daddy does the Carolina Panthers would be called The JerryPanthers. Jerry is not as smart as my daddy bob. By the way has anyone seen my daddy? I have been searching all over Charlotte and no one has seen him. Please Help Me.

Posted by: Will | Aug 2, 2007 9:34:10 PM