« Little man, big block | Main | Update: A safety misses practice »

August 27, 2007

Still seeking answers at safety

Remember back a few weeks ago when the Panthers traded for Chris Harris and some fans thought all the problems at safety were suddenly solved?

After watching Harris get beat on some deep balls in exhibition games, it seems some are ready to send Harris back to Chicago and hit the panic button. But the truth is what’s happened in the preseason games shouldn’t be that big of a surprise.

What did you expect from a player who cost the Panthers a fifth-round pick in 2008? The book on Harris has always been that he plays the run well, can come up and make a big hit on a pass play in front of him, but that he has trouble turning and running on the deep ball.

Harris has his limitations, but he can be a decent strong safety. He’s going to need help, though. For Harris to succeed, the defensive line has to apply steady pressure and the cornerbacks have to play well.

Harris is definitely a concern. But maybe the bigger concern should be at free safety, a position where the ability to play the deep ball is even more important. Deke Cooper has worked there in the first three preseason games and hasn’t looked all that good. Don’t be surprised if Nate Salley gets a start there in the preseason finale Thursday.

And don’t be surprised if the Panthers take a long, hard look for safety help on the waiver wire as other teams make cuts in the next week or so.

– Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on August 27, 2007 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Comments

Have you heard anything about them being interested in Nick Sorensen, who was recently cut from Jacksonville. No you probably havent because I doubt you even knew it happened. Right now its almost desperation time. What can they lose by bringing in some guys who have been cut, its how McRee was discovered. But something has to be done fairly soon.

FIRST!!

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 27, 2007 11:35:48 AM

Yeah, Pat...why can't you actually stay on top of the goings-on in the NFL? I, for one, am CERTAINLY scanning the waiver wire for safeties with 60 tackles over a six-year career!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 27, 2007 11:56:30 AM

Ok, who has been the most consistent WR for the Panthers this pre-season? Answer Biddle. The Panthers need to try him with the first string this week.

Posted by: Hugh Haynsworth | Aug 27, 2007 12:55:06 PM

Hey all else fails, put Julius at Saftey, bet he would make the Pro Bowl!!!!! hahahaha! Shoot all our QBs keep going down, put Julius at QB!!!!!

Posted by: BigKahuna | Aug 27, 2007 1:02:32 PM

Hey Michael Procton, since you know it all why not apply for a job at the observer or for the Panthers? Your little belittling childish posts are getting old. You hide behind a computer and act like you know it all. Personally I agree with what Pat says and people like you are a waste of air.

Keep hiding behind your computer and talking big Michael Procton, you are nothing but an idiot. Maybe you and that other know it all catman can work together since you both are nothing more than unintelligent blowhards. Go Pat, keep up the good work!

Posted by: Sick of Procton | Aug 27, 2007 1:20:23 PM

Procton was simply pointing out what Pat DIDN'T say. Any news on safeties shouldn't have to be broken by mattdaddy. Thanks anyway mattdaddy!

Posted by: S.H. | Aug 27, 2007 2:50:58 PM

Yeah thanks mattdaddy for doing the Observer's job!!

Posted by: M.T. | Aug 27, 2007 2:53:41 PM

i'm not a beat writer, I'm not a journalist, I'm not an 'insider', I'm just a daddy named matt. And I have no business posting stories before pat 'the russian' yasinskaksalaldakisfosheezy

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 27, 2007 3:14:11 PM

I'm surprised Tom Sorenson didnt mention anything to Pat about his little bro getting cut by the Jags.

Honestly, I know my NFL and I have never heard of Nick Sorenson. We can get a million nobodies, we need a somebody. Some dude named Nick Sorenson doesnt fit the bill. Maybe a guy will hit waivers that we can use, like Lawyer Milloy a couple years ago. I wouldnt so much mind a retread at this point, but after this season, if we don't find a long term answer at the safety positions, I am going to be sick.

Peace and Love,
Rob

Posted by: Rob | Aug 27, 2007 3:40:00 PM

They need a safety, at this point they need to bring in whoever they can, and it doesnt hurt to give him a shot for a week. There are several guys who've been cut or who went undrafted who may be available, but I dont want to spend hours trying to research these fellas, its not my job, my job is to read the news paper. Its Pat's and Stan's job to do a little research, i.e. work, and give the readers a breakdown of potential guys who could be brought in.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Aug 27, 2007 3:44:44 PM

Amen.

Posted by: S.H. | Aug 27, 2007 8:26:29 PM

Thanks, Rob. As for you, whoever you are, I'm certainly hiding less than you are. I post my real name...YOU certainly don't. I was not being critical of Yasinkas at all, just "mattdaddy"'s ridiculous suggestion that a guy who has played nothing but special teams his whole career is the answer for us at safety. I think Yasinkas does a fine job, and I, for one, know what a difficult job field journalism is and the work required to do the job. He doesn't need to be wasting his time doing research on guys like Nick fucking Sorensen. That's not a "story", md.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 27, 2007 10:32:23 PM

put lucas at FS,and let marshall and gamble do their thing

Posted by: james | Aug 27, 2007 10:33:47 PM

Got a lot of journalism experience, do ya Procton? Did they teach you that at The McCallie School or the Westchester Acadamy?

Where did you learn to curse, at Southwest Elementary?

Posted by: No Cursing, Procton | Aug 28, 2007 1:08:40 AM

I hate to be pessimistic about this situation, but Marty Hurney should have really made an effort to bring in safety help WELL before the team ended up like this ...

I just looked at all the AFC teams' depth charts and if hypothetically they were to cut all the 3rd string safeties, the only two recognizable names are Dexter McCleon and Bryan Scott ...

In the NFC, it wouldn't fare much better. NFL.com was being a jerk, so I couldn't access all the depth charts, but I'm sure the players out there were probably garbage as well ...

What about Michael Boulware in Seattle? Isn't he on the bubble to make the team? At least he's had some starting experience ...

Posted by: Shane | Aug 28, 2007 2:10:14 AM

It's inexcusable that the Panthers didn't take a safety in the first three round of the draft. Everyone could see Minter was a real short-timer on top of needing another safety besides. The Panther brain trust is so overrated by their fans!

Posted by: Logan | Aug 28, 2007 2:21:25 AM

I agree 100% with James. I said to my family right after the draft that we should move Lucas to Free Safety. I would still look for another safety to come in and compete, but making Salley, Cooper and one other guy the back ups to Lucas and Harris would make the defensive backfield much better. Marshall and Gamble at corners with a couple of the younger guys (Christian Morton) vying for the nickel spot would make me feel better about the secondary. While it is a gamble to make the move at this point, I still feel it would be worth it. Atleast by week 3 or 4 they would be in a groove. All of this boils down to the front four putting pressure on the QB and making the secondary look better than they are. Let's go Panthers!

Posted by: JLIV | Aug 28, 2007 8:13:25 AM