« Still seeking answers at safety | Main | A fanfest for Panthers sponsors »

August 27, 2007

Update: A safety misses practice

Update to my last post: Maybe we won't see as much of Nate Salley in Thursday night's game as previously expected. He sat out Monday's practice with the same knee injury that forced him to miss a lot of camp. More than ever, the Panthers have to watch the waiver wire for safety help.

Also, Jake Delhomme was on the practice field, but didn't participate in team drills. Coach John Fox said Delhomme was getting a day of rest and the "tweak'' the quarterback had in his side Sunday is not an issue.

-- Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on August 27, 2007 at 01:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hi Pat -
Any word the Panthers might try to convert an extra CB or skinny/fast LB to safety? It sure seems they have missed the boat on getting Moe, Curly, and Larry to play. Hopefully, it's just pre-season goof ups. Hopefully.

Posted by: Ben | Aug 27, 2007 1:37:12 PM

we have a better depth at LB than safity way not try anderson or shaw there they are fast and smart

Posted by: Kenneth picklesimer | Aug 27, 2007 3:33:38 PM

I hear alot about our lack of depth at safety.What is the status of C.J. Wilson? Will they let him play so he can either prove he can play this position or do they plan to let him learn and grow for a year? Your thoughts...

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 27, 2007 5:29:20 PM

How come the Panthers dont look at someone in the free agent market? Terrence Keil is still available and has not signed with a team yet. Anyone can be better than Harris, who we traded for, and who hasnt shown fans anything yet, and Salley is hurt, while Deke Cooper is a mediocre player. We need help back there. Please tell Marty Hurney to sign Terrence Keil.

Posted by: Robby | Aug 27, 2007 6:22:41 PM

Madden 08 tells you all you need to know about the Panthers current safety situation. In my Panthers franchise I allowed the computer to automatically sign free agents. I started my season and the computer only signed 1 free agent... Terrence Keil, LOL. So basically it evaluated my roster, got to safety and said "doh!" and made a move.

Maybe we need to get Hurney a copy of Madden 08?

Posted by: Dave | Aug 27, 2007 7:44:14 PM

Why are you guys already biting Harris's head off? I mean its his 3rd game with us and he has to learn a whole new defense now that he is in Carolina. It takes time im sure. So give him a freakin' shot. He's not a terrible safety, and he's not the best... but he is decent. Just give him some time... its not all his fault our defense is stuggling.. It's the whole defense. Not just one guy. All I say is that he is a good safety, and just give him a shot.

Posted by: Al | Aug 27, 2007 7:47:36 PM

I'm willing to give Harris a shot, but there's nothing wrong with bring in another guy as an insurance policy. I'm actually more concerned about free safety then I am strong safety but if Keil is out there an has a reasonable price tag then I say go get him.

I wonder if the Panthers have considered moving Lucas to free safety and pushing Marshall up to a starter. Lucas is a strong, physical guy who's good (not great) in pass coverage...

Posted by: Dave | Aug 27, 2007 8:02:24 PM

Well guys this is the real NFL not Madden, if it was that easy I would be the greatest GM/Coach in NFL history. Terrence Keil has character issues and while I am not saying I am happy with the safety position we wont thankfully wont go after guys with character problems.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 27, 2007 8:28:57 PM

I know that we need a free safety, Kiel is decent, I like his play a lot and he has a great pass coverage defense. Having Harris and Kiel back there, it will be an amazing duo... Harris to stop the run and Kiel to stop the pass. I like this idea. But, before we go jump over board and say we need a free safety, let's look at Nate Salley, for a few games. Maybe we can give Kiel a shot and sign him before the regular season but he will need time to learn our system if he does come to our team just like every other player. If we set him in as the free safety starter, right off the bat, he won't learn it right away and other people will be biting his head off just like they are doing to Harris. So im all for signing him and let him for insurence, then if he learns the defense than let him start.

Posted by: Al | Aug 27, 2007 8:38:27 PM

Yeah...and we could certainly have all the federally illegal syzzurp we wanted if we signed Kiel. As much as you people bitched about what Bridges did, I can't imagine why his FELONY would suddenly be ok.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 27, 2007 10:25:51 PM

Thanks for the reminder Billy - it was an amusing anecdote based on the previous post. I realize Kiel has had some serious off-field problems and I agree that the Panthers should think carefully before signing him.

I think the real point is that we have gaping whole at the safety position, Harris is okay but it would be great to see the Panthers make a move to bolster that position, especially since they are so fond of the cover 2.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 28, 2007 8:28:06 AM

You geniuses who want to convert a linebacker to Free Safety obviously know nothing about football. If you thought seeing Harris getting burned all Friday was bad, try putting a linebacker in there and he'll get torched 10 times worse. The safety must cover fast wideouts and no Thomas Davis couldn't cover them even when he was a safety - why do you think he is a linebacker now. Further more the Panthers don't need a low character guy like Terrance Kiel on the team.

Brainiac

Posted by: Brainiac | Aug 28, 2007 8:30:00 AM

You guys are a hoot! Had me in stitches. Especially the guy from the last post that called Pat the mad Russian "Pat Yasesesheweisnkaseinski...." Sorry Pat. I know what it's like to get your last name butchered, but I still laugh when a good one comes along. :) Anyway, it's going to take much more than suring up one postition on this team. Poor decision making and even worse draft choices have sent the Panthers on a slow but decisive downward spiral. In short, the team brass has lost control of this team's personel. Jenkins should have been traded long time ago, OL Batiste should have been reprimanded, Morgan should have been forced into retirement, and team officials should have been much more aggressive this off-season. As it stands, these players will just be going through the motions this year in hopes of surviving the next major coaching staff change next year. Just my opinion.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 28, 2007 9:00:59 AM

Lucas is GREAT in coverage and it would not make sense to move our best cover corner to safety.

Posted by: you kidden me | Aug 28, 2007 10:17:13 AM

Thomas Davis is a bust! I graduated from Georgia and I'm assamed of him!

Posted by: JOhn | Aug 28, 2007 12:27:43 PM

Lucas is GREAT in coverage? Since when? Did you see the game Friday night? Brady threw a lob pass that Lucas had 10 minutes to get in position for and the WR caught it right over his head.

You have no idea what you're talking about, so stop. Lucas is not a great cover corner, he's mediocre at best and frequently gives up the big play. Last year he was struggling so much that they benched him in favor of a rookie. What Lucas is good at is physical play at the line (pressing, etc) and run support.... sure sounds like a good FS to me?

Move Marshall up to start accross from Gamble and move Lucas to FS. Done deal.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 28, 2007 5:34:43 PM

Right, Dave, because you regularly see free safeties in press coverage...NOPE.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 28, 2007 7:47:56 PM

That's not what I was saying Michael, I mentioned press coverage because being good at press coverage requires you to be a strong, physical player. I'm sorry you couldn't understand that, and that I have to spell it out for you.

Read and understand a comment before you respond.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 28, 2007 9:03:20 PM

So then you suggest, then, that you should change his position despite the fact that: a. he's a poor tackler, and b. it would take away his ability to perform a skill YOU YOURSELF acknowledge as one of his strengths (press coverage in man coverage against a receiver). I like the way you think.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Aug 28, 2007 10:55:44 PM

Lucas is between good and great his yards per attemept the last 2 years with the Panthers has been top 10. He got bumped last year cause of a neck injury. Also now you need 3 good CBs with the recent discovery of the slot reciever.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 29, 2007 7:23:28 AM

Thanks, Billy.

Posted by: S.H. | Aug 29, 2007 12:20:43 PM

JOhn, if Thomas Davis is a "bust", after just two years, I'm glad someone took a flyer on Brett Favre after his second season. Late bloomers in the NFL are legion. Stick to fantasy football. Steve Smith took a while to make the starting lineup as a wideout. It's not an easy league.

Posted by: S.H. | Aug 29, 2007 12:31:04 PM

Dave I have said the same thing many times, read the comment 2 to 3 times, before you respond for SOME People(MP)!!!!!!

Posted by: bt | Sep 2, 2007 12:16:19 AM