« Safety shopping starts tonight | Main | Giants' safety Demps among players released »

September 01, 2007

Despite broken toe, QB Carr said he enjoyed time on field Thursday

Thursday night brought David Carr a little more than he expected. But with starting quarterback Jake Delhomme getting the night off and No.3 Brett Basanez out for the season with an injury, Carr wound up playing the entire first half despite a broken right pinky toe in Carolina’s 19-3 exhibition loss to Pittsburgh.

"I felt alright," Carr said in the locker room. "I got a little more than I probably thought I was ready for because of just trying to heal this toe up. But I was fine with it; if they want to leave me in there, I was having fun; I was enjoying myself. It was a good time getting to run with those guys up front, the first group. Coming out there kind of felt back home."

Carr, of course, was referring to starting, something he did regularly in five years with Houston. He said the toe was numbed before the game and laughed, adding, "I’m sure I’ll feel it around 2 or 3 in the morning. But right now it feels great."

He was good and bad Thursday, showing a nice touch and good instincts while completing eight of 12 passes for 85 yards, mostly short stuff. But he also had a woefully underthrown interception.

Carr was in charge for six possessions. The offense produced 139 total yards and three points on those tries and got into the red zone once, reaching the Pittsburgh 13. Another drive got to the Steelers’ 34.

"We hit and missed," Carr said. "We had some good drives, but then we’d get down in the red zone and kind of sputter out. It’s something we’ll have to look at. We don’t have a lot of red zone-specific plays in yet.

"This offense has got some pretty standard red zone-specific plays (that aren’t) in the game plan right now. But we’ve got to find a way to get in the end zone regardless. When you’re down there a couple times, you want to come away with a touchdown."

- Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on September 1, 2007 at 02:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thanks for the nice objective article on Carr. Wish he could have gotten a couple of series with Steve Smith. That would have been interesting. Did Carr have any comment on the interception?

Posted by: NewPantherFan | Sep 1, 2007 4:21:10 PM

The game on Thursday was mostly the same pattern as he's shown throughout his NFL career. Accurate overall, particularly in short passes, but poor decisions leading to picks/turnovers (like the pick in Steelers territory.)

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 1, 2007 4:44:46 PM

Very Frustrating to see Carr throw a Delhomme type INT... obviously QB coaches are going to have to work with Carr to teach him patience and decision making in the pocket... since he obviously had very little time in Houston too make a decision.

Posted by: bt | Sep 2, 2007 12:08:50 AM

Tough to say that Carr threw a "Delhomme-type INT" when Carr's the one with more INTs than TDs over the course of his career. Delhomme's NEVER done that as a starter, if you're keeping track at home

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 2, 2007 2:42:30 AM

Michael,

You write as though Jake and Carr played with comparable O-lines. Jake had a decent line, and Carr was forced to play behind the worst O-line in the NFL for 5 seasons. (And only one first-class receiver.)

You write about Carr's interception and ignore Jake's interception and two dropped interceptions in one game with the first team line, against Philly. I believe Carr's only had two interceptions in the whole preseason. I'm not attacking Jake -- just trying to keep it objective and balanced.

Peyton Manning would not have become the great QB that he is if he had played behind the Texans' O-line for the past 5 seasons, often with only one or two seconds to get rid of the ball, and occasionally zero seconds!

To understand the context, you would have to go through the Nine Circles of Hell, i.e., watch all Texans' games -- which I did. You would not believe how many times David was hit before he could even complete his dropback, or would have someone (or often several) in his face when he turned around. With usually less than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, a QB has no time to look for a second receiver. In one of the most ridiculous moments I have ever seen in the NFL, in a late-season game as David completed his dropback, before he could even get set to pass, he was surrounded by FOUR rushers! Nobody blocked anybody.

A QB is particularly vulnerable -- stationary, with a ball in his hand facing a quarter-ton of bone and muscle hurtling at him at break-neck speed. David's courage or physical/mental toughness cannot be questioned. His sacks do not record the innumerable times he was leveled after getting rid of the ball. Remarkably, he started every single game in 4 of the 5 seasons he was with the Texans!

Under the circumstances, his record deserves praise not criticism. Even his 68% NFL-leading pass completion percent in 2006 is often put down because "they were short passes". Well, they averaged over 9 yards, which compares very closely to Jake's average last season. Fortunately, David is very agile and relatively fast. In his 5 seasons at Houston, he AVERAGED 250 yards a season rushing, which is more than Jake's CAREER TOTAL. He also rushed for 8 TDs in those 5 seasons.

Posted by: NewPantherFan | Sep 2, 2007 9:16:47 AM

Carr's clearly still getting comfortable with the personnel, and learning the offense. It's got to take a little while to get used to your primary play no longer being "run for life, duck and cover."

No question Jake is our best option right now, but I could see Carr challenging for the starting job after he's had a year to get used to the locker room and learn Davidson's offense. (I love Jake, but I'm wondering if age is starting to take the effectiveness off of his freewheeling style.)

Posted by: BullCityDog | Sep 2, 2007 2:15:18 PM

Hey Carr is better then Jake PERIOD It was a bad throw and he knows it, atleast it was not for 6, hmmmmm, Philli?

Anyways try and keep it objective or just go work for the chronicle in Houston. JK just be fair.

Posted by: BigKahuna | Sep 2, 2007 5:52:14 PM

Hey guys,
I am a Houstonian and I watched all of Carr's games as a Texan. I hope y'all don't mind if I chime in now and then. David Carr is a train-wreck that I can't stop watching.
I hate to crush y'all's hopes, but the guy just isn't a good NFL quarterback. I predict there will be many articles written about how the Texans O-Line wasn't so bad the last few years.
David Carr is the ultimate example of the Halo Effect in action. Because he is white, handsome and a "Good Christian", the fans, the team and the ownership in Houston made excuse after excuse for him.
He held on to the ball to long. On third and long, he regularly runs for a few yards and takes a big hit instead of throwing it away, in post-game interviews he places blame on everyone but himself. He was penalized for crossing the line of scrimmage and making a forward pass TWICE in one game last year.
He is awful. It will be fun watching y'all learn.

Posted by: Mason Lerner | Sep 3, 2007 12:35:59 PM

The only "fun" you'll be having is watching the Texans have another losing season.

Posted by: nosoupforyou | Sep 4, 2007 8:55:50 PM

Touche'.
But I am of the VY is God ilk.

Posted by: Mason Lerner | Sep 5, 2007 2:44:20 AM