« Maybe Peppers just has the look | Main | Gruden, Barber speak about Peppers, Smith »

September 25, 2007

Everybody's asking about WR Jarrett

No matter how many times we write about it in this blog or in the paper, the e-mails keep coming, wanting to know why rookie wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett has yet to play a down. That’s understandable because Jarrett was a second-round pick and people want immediate results.

There is all sorts of speculation (Jarrett doesn’t know the playbook. Jarrett is soft. Jarrett was set back by a training camp injury. Jarrett just isn’t any good.) as to why the rookie has been inactive for the first three games. You can read between the lines of what’s been written and you can listen to the speculation. Some of it may be true.

But, once and for all, here’s how the folks who make the important decisions around Bank of America Stadium view the Jarrett situation. We’re not saying it’s right or we agree with it, but simply stating what they’re thinking:

They believe wide receiver is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to succeed at (just ask the Detroit Lions of a few years back about that) and, no, they didn’t think Jarrett was ready to help in the first three games. They’re still very high on him, but they view this as a high school situation.

In their eyes, Jarrett is a freshman. Keary Colbert and Drew Carter are seniors. At least as of right now – and you can throw in your punch line at the end of this sentence - the people who count think Colbert and Carter are more prepared to help the team.

The feeling is that Jarrett will be activated at some point and he’ll gradually start to contribute. Colbert and Carter each are in the last year of their contracts and they’re not going to get new ones if they don’t show they can contribute on a consistent basis. Jarrett’s not going to stay on the junior varsity forever.

Again, that’s the company line and it may play out exactly that way. Then again, remember Eric Shelton? - Pat Yasinskas

Posted by Observer Sports on September 25, 2007 at 05:52 PM | Permalink

Comments

How can they say he's not ready, was Biddle ready atleast he caught the ball, and was pretty fast (from his own mouth). it's a win now league i like Colbert and Carter but what have they done lately when needed. i'm in the military and if you can't do your JOB U MAY CAUSE SOMEONE TO LOOSE A LIFE. that was overly dramatic but the same sticks for W's and L's. What gives i love our team but the defense is getting soft, the offense give the guy a break improvement isn't an overnight thing, it takes time maybe even next season, but to have a proven weapon on one level and not test him on the next level even in the houston game he could have been tested and let one of the linebackers or defensive line men go. you have to see what the guy has, not just in practice but in game time. and for the record they should get Taye biddle and deactivate the KR now. he runs into the ground, they tested him he isn't working so deactivate.

Posted by: panta4life | Sep 25, 2007 6:41:43 PM

I agree with you about the KR panta4life, but you are way off about Jarrett. Since you are a military guy, you should also know the extreme importance of "teamwork," thinking like one unit. This Dwayne guy does not block like Carter and Colbert, and yes, in the Panther offense that is very important (it's why they took a chance on Meshawn, because he was a blocker too). Until Dwayne is ready to sacrafice of himself for his teammates, he remains a liability... you, of all people, should understand that.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 25, 2007 6:52:09 PM

Of Course we will resign Colbert and Carter. Hurney and Fox have no idea who to keep and who to let go i.e. Morgan or Witherspoon, Rucker and Minter and not knowing to pick a safety in the draft (Nelson, Merriweather).

Of course if Jarrett is not smart enough, physical enough, and not a hard worker, why did they draft him?

Love you PTR

Posted by: Steven | Sep 25, 2007 8:09:31 PM

what happpen to tay biddle

Posted by: egg man | Sep 25, 2007 9:18:46 PM

This Dwayne Jarret issue is just another blunder by our head coach and g.m. I remember distinctly reading early in training camp that the panthers were confident that Jarrett could contribute THIS YEAR, maybe even as a #2. Now he is inactive every week? As Pat said, the company line is that they are brining him along slowly behind two guys in Colbert and Carter who know the system better. That is a bunch of crap-I think that this is just another example of John Fox's blind loyalty to his players, regardless of their production on the field. He regards seniorority as the number one factor in playing time. Why else would he allow either of these two receivers continuous opportunities to SUCK almost every time they play. I really am getting tired of this coaching staff and G.M. They are slowly driving this team into the ground with their vanilla, 'it is what it is' attitude. No real improvments made in the offseason, blind loyalty to players, lack of emotion and heart. I haven't even talked about the most overrated defense in the NFL or the most overrated defensive player in the NFL-I'll save that for another day. I really want to see this team succeed and I am coming to the conclusion that cleaning house out from the top is the only way to produce an eventual consistent winner. John Fox and Marty Hurney are just not the answer.

Posted by: Mr. Niolte | Sep 25, 2007 10:49:16 PM

Dwayne Jarret should be the 3rd receiver, with smitty and carter. maybe only use 1 TE and use 4 receivers to keep dc quessing as to who to guard who. Carolina needs to quit putting off signing Peppers and sign him now before we lose him. Also, Fox should use all their linebackers and move Peppers around more often. And when do you say enough is a enough with Fox and go after Coward.

Posted by: tx-panther4life | Sep 25, 2007 11:33:16 PM

Pat, why use a top draft selection on a position the Panthers believe is difficult to learn and likely won't start?
The Panthers have successfully used this logic with QBs. Jake failed in other settings, but came to Carolina ready start and able to lead. Same situation is shaping up for Carr. Brett was/is being groomed for the future without pressure of a high draft pick.
I enjoy the blog. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Theo | Sep 26, 2007 2:35:27 AM

How do they know that Jarrett can't play if they don't actually put him in a uniform and let him play? Some guys are practice players who don't perform in games. Some guys are gamers who don't necessarily look good in practice. All I really know is that Colbert & Carter can't catch a cold in Alaska in January.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 26, 2007 8:22:12 AM

Eric...You are correct sir!!!

Posted by: RJR | Sep 26, 2007 8:39:23 AM

We shouldn't put in Jarrett this game. It would be demorializing for a rookie to have to play against that tough Tampa defense. He may get hurt. In fact, Delhomme is faking his injury so he doesn't have to play Tampa. I'm sure Steve Smith will mysteriously develop a hammertoe so he doesn't have to get hit by Derrick Brooks. Can you blame him?

Posted by: Tom | Sep 26, 2007 8:58:18 AM

When are the Panthers going to use Rosario? He is so much better that Christina Fauria. He is a better blocker and has more speed. Why isn't he in when they go to 2 tight ends?

Posted by: Bryan | Sep 26, 2007 9:20:01 AM

I dont think this years team will ever have a traditional #2 wr. Steve Smith will get the lionshare of the receptions, then the rest will be spread among King, Foster, and Williams, Colbert and Carter. Maybe the threat of utilizing so many options is better than the threat of a #2 receiver. But still, it would be nice to at least see what Jarrett can do in a real game, Charles Johnson too.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Sep 26, 2007 10:02:24 AM

Drew Carter has been productive this year (2 TD's and a 12 yrds per catch average) and we finally have a TE, now all we need is Colbert to show up.

Posted by: Hugh Haynsworth | Sep 26, 2007 11:10:12 AM

Taye Biddle is going to be in Bank of America Stadium this weekend but will be on the wrong team. He was signed by Tampa. Not sure if he is active. I wish he had made our roster. The kid can ball.

Posted by: NMH | Sep 26, 2007 11:20:13 AM

I read that Delhomme wasn’t playing this week. Maybe he feels that if Carr plays, Tampa’s defense will make him look so bad they will cut him. No more quarterback controversy, and after see how bad Carr plays the fan will welcome Delhomme back no matter how bad he sucks.

Posted by: Doofus Dan | Sep 26, 2007 12:05:24 PM

Posted by: Doofus Dan | Sep 26, 2007 12:10:38 PM

Very insightful, Doofus Dan. I haven't looked at it like that. Maybe you're right. I feel bad for Carr. He's going to get banged up.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 26, 2007 12:17:01 PM

I agree with you Foodus Dan. As a Panthers fan I would like to see Carr go down. But I also would like to not get shut out. If we can at least put up a field goal like the Rams did last week against the Bucs, I will be happy. Go Carr or Lina!

Posted by: Pathersfrombehind | Sep 26, 2007 12:18:45 PM

It seems that John Fox and Marty Hurney would like to make the Panthers organization into what the Steelers have. An organization that develops players consistently, not just every year throwing about 4 rookies into the starting lineup and seeing who survives. I like the idea. It's cool to do, IF you can survive when you're team has down years. I say it's worth the risk.

Posted by: Lamont Bracey | Sep 26, 2007 12:24:22 PM

WOW, you panther's fans really dont have much confidence in your team. I just came from a Bucs forum where they were talking about getting a win against the Panthers, and I come here and see people talking about hoping to not get shut out. It's ok, you guys have a better team then what you think, Im just being modest. Chin up Panther's fans.

Posted by: BUCSFAN | Sep 26, 2007 2:06:00 PM

Tampa Bay has done nothing but get messed up in all but one game against the Panthers during the PAST FOUR YEARS.

Next.

Posted by: Stinger | Sep 26, 2007 2:18:03 PM

Fellow Panther's Fans, I hate to say it, but we better get a lot better. I felt almost like crying when I heard Jake went down. My mom comforted me and then I watched All Dogs Go To Heaven. I want us to win. I think if we can get good we can.

Posted by: PANTHERSRULE | Sep 26, 2007 2:18:48 PM

Tell em Stinger! Go Panthers, RA RA RA, WOOOOOO!

Posted by: PANTHERSRULE | Sep 26, 2007 2:20:49 PM

I hate John Fox for being too loyal to his players. He would rather start Carter and Colbert -who combined has only 4-8 catch this season. We should fire John Fox after this season because he is way too conservative than being aggresive and also his loyalty to players. In NFL you should start your best player and not loyalty. I mean what difference is it going to make if we put Jarrett in at #2. If we put him opposite Smith, he might put up some good numbers. You never know unless you put him in. Would someone please fire John Fox

Posted by: Mike Jones | Sep 26, 2007 2:30:11 PM

Keyshawn said on read & react that Jarrett didn’t have the heart, and Bill Parcells agreed with him that it was a mistake in letting Key go. The fact that he’s not starting has nothing to do with loyalty toward Carter and Colbert. Jarrett’s just not tough enough, if they had kept Keyshawn, he could have tutored him into maybe being a descent receiver. I guess you just can’t teach heart. Oh yeah they also said the Panthers were going to get whopped by the Bucs

Posted by: panthersfrombehind | Sep 26, 2007 3:00:42 PM