« Where's Weinke? | Main | Fox has little to say after defeat »

September 30, 2007

Jenkins blasts Panthers, calls effort garbage

In perhaps the most emotional locker room outburst in franchise history, Kris Jenkins ripped his teammates. Jenkins wasn’t asked a question to start the outburst and he wouldn’t take questions at the end. But here’s the entire text of what he had to say in between:

You all ready (clears throat)? All right, I’m going to be honest. I think the players owe the fans an apology. I would be as upset as they are if I had to sit in the stands for four hours and look at that garbage. I’m going to be honest with you. That’s what it was, garbage.

I apologize to you Pat because I didn’t put everything out as far as the issue (in an Observer story last week, where Jenkins challenged his teammates to handle prosperity better). This is our issue as a team. As a team collectively, we have no heart. We have no energy. We have no drive. Football is about pride and passion. I’m going to repeat that again. Football is about pride and passion. The pride and the passion that you have for this game makes you want to win. It’s not about the money. It’s not about looking the part. It’s not about standing on the field so everybody can see you on TV and that you look good. It’s about pride and heart. If you have those two, if you win or lose, you’re going to look like a football team.

That’s why we have issues with prosperity. That’s why we have issues when things look good. That’s why we can’t get enough together to look and act like a football team. This is not a 9-to-5 job. This is a game. It is a street fight. It is a gladiator sport and I apologize that sometimes I don’t look the part for what people want me to be. I’m not the weight that everybody wants me to be. But when I step on that field, what you are going to see is pride and heart because I value this game. I love it and that is what is frustrating me. We don’t have that.

We went out there and I felt embarrassed. I walked out the little line or whatever you come through to go play and I walked out and basically, in certain way, I challenged their team. And I challenged my team, because when you step out there like that and you do something like that, you better back it up and we didn’t. We got broke off. We really got broke off and I’m embarrassed to say so.

Right now, my heart hurts. It really does. It’s hard to sit there week after week and go through this. This is what’s not being addressed. Week in and week out, we might say this and we might say that or we need to change this. It’s not that you can’t pay for pride and heart. It might good when you look at the stats or when you look at someone’s 40 time or you look at everything else. But it doesn’t matter how many skills you have. It doesn’t matter how good you look when you catch a pass or when you run the ball or when you tackle somebody or cover somebody.

It’s not going to matter if you don’t have those two things, because this is the NFL. It is the National Football League. It is a professional sport and you have people out here, such as myself, who love this game enough that they’re going to put it all out on the field.

Tampa Bay came and they did that and they royally broke their foot off in our butt. I have nothing else to say. I’m upset about this, but I wanted to say that.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 30, 2007 at 08:43 PM | Permalink

Comments

Wow. That sums it up for me. At least some of them have pride.

Posted by: JT | Sep 30, 2007 8:50:03 PM

Thank you Jenkins for speaking out and for caring. It's obvious to us fans that the team lacks one fundamental element more than any other, heart.

The politcal question dodging in press conferences is old hat, we appreciate hearing from a player that the team sees and feels the same way as the fans.

Thank you for your honesty and candor, it's a welcome change. Hopefully your fellow Panthers will answer the rally call and pull this "team" out of it's funk and play like we all know they can.

Posted by: John Watson | Sep 30, 2007 8:53:09 PM

God bless Kris Jenkins. That was a beautifully epic rant.

Posted by: Ryan Martin | Sep 30, 2007 8:54:11 PM

Can someone give Kris Jenkins that "C" emblem? He's the only one who seems to vocalize what is obvious to all who see and hear the games.

Now watch the Panthers cut him in the offseason.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 30, 2007 8:57:37 PM

I would hope that Jon Fox would be asked about these comments in tomorrow's press confrence.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 30, 2007 8:58:31 PM

It wasn't 34-3, but it was a dominating 20-7. Well, it was fun posting on your team's site. I am sure your team will bounce back. You have a good coach and some good players. However, other than Jenkins, who played lights out today, your defensive line needs help. Peppers was a no show again.

Good luck with the rest of your season. Well, not really. Go Bucs!!

Posted by: Tom | Sep 30, 2007 9:06:24 PM

Hey, no wonder Marty has problems with Kris Jenkins. Kris Jenkins is a man -- not a perfect one by any stretch -- and he does not duck and dodge or offer cryptic homilies.

There is no doubt that he is the only guy on the defense who has given consistent, sell-out effort this season.

Kris called it BEFORE this game, he BROUGHT it this game, and he was basically ALONE this game. I really, really thought that with Jake out the rest of the team would up their game. Instead, the exact opposite happened. Tells you how import Jake's fire it to this team.

Don't know what more there is to say. Either this franchise decides it needs to start fighting for its very life or it is lights out this year.

Absent that, I amend my projection down to 4-12 for the year.

Posted by: JAT | Sep 30, 2007 9:06:58 PM

Start with firing the defensive coordinator for not getting the defense ready. I don't care if he is your buddy. He can't do the job. Then fire the special teams coach for really sucking. And if that doesn't do it, fire Fox for just thinking that they are close if you change this or that. He doesn't get the team ready to play week in and week out and ANY coach who doesn't do that should go back to where they came from. I would get fired for performance like this.

Posted by: altdude | Sep 30, 2007 9:12:55 PM

Please ask John Fox about these comments tomorrow and don't let him beat around the bush. Thank you Kris Jenkins for showing some heart. Why is it that I only need one hand to count the amount of players that show heart on this team? What is wrong with Peppers? If he is sick then why not let somebody know instead of giving a half-asses effort on the field. We can put somebody healthy on the field at least. He is not the only problem. I just don't understand what has happened to the talent on the squad. Have the players lost confidence in the coaching? Turdo is the worst DC.

Posted by: DS | Sep 30, 2007 9:12:59 PM

You can tell that Kris Jenkins really doesn't want to continue this weekly ritual of poorus football bullshit. I feel for Steve Smith as well because you could tell he wanted more touches even though he dropped a couple earlier in the game. We don't show heart or fire, and we gave up when we brought out the punt unit in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes left.

Posted by: Murk N | Sep 30, 2007 9:13:36 PM

I second that I hope that Fox is absolutely grilled over the Jenkins comments and this game and this team's "heart" tomorrow.

I'm counting on you Observer reporters! BRING IT!

Posted by: Johnny | Sep 30, 2007 9:18:28 PM

I sat thru 3 hours of commercials today on the pa system. I am so sick of this HOME environment. I would rather be at home watching the game on tv. I will make a point of not supporting any of the sponsors that the panthers endorse. This HOME environment is a joke. We don't win at home because it is such a easy environment for the visiting team.

Posted by: pslholder | Sep 30, 2007 9:20:35 PM

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Posted by: kevin | Sep 30, 2007 9:21:10 PM

That does it. I'm throwing away my 90 jersey and buying a 77 right now.

Panther fans, show your support for Jenks by wearing 77 to the next game!

Posted by: Martin J | Sep 30, 2007 9:21:50 PM

Peppers is sick, DS. He has a heart problem: he doesn't--and never has--loved the game or playing it. As suck, he gets taken out of the game on a near weekly basis at this point, yet remains Smilin' Julius with those huge donkey lips. Glad to see Jenkins fired up.
Fact of the matter is that this is still potentially a playoff team. NO has fallen off this year, ATL is garbage, and TB isn't THAT good (if Jake is in and we have any SEMBLANCE of offense, that's a competitive game, I guarantee it! Our run game was getting the job done at over 4 YPC, but Carr had one of the worst performances I've ever seen by a quarterback on ANY level.) I've honestly been happy with the offense as long as Jake is in there, but the defense needs to start playing with some FIRE, Morgan or not. Until that happens, no amount of points the offense puts up will make a difference.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 30, 2007 9:24:06 PM

Someone please explain why Nick Goins is returning kicks?? No "break away" speed, just lower your head and get it to the 20. It would be a lot easier just keeping it in the end zone (and less likely to fumble. Also, how many games does Dan Morgan have to sit out before there is a decision to bring in someone else that can help at the linebacker spot. I won a bet today...I knew Dan wouldn't make it 5 games before he got injured. He's probably a great guy, but enough is enough. This is, after all, a business as well as a game.

Posted by: bw | Sep 30, 2007 9:24:39 PM

Hey, Pantherfan, I did a little research on Ricky Bobby after you kept referring to him in you post, and your right I can't count past one, as in one loss. I did learn the number three today, as in 3-1. That would be the Bucs, can you say 2-2? All fun aside, and as much as I would love to serve up a little... well who a we kidding... a lot of crow, if the tables were turned my day would be ruined too.

Posted by: Doofus Dan | Sep 30, 2007 9:25:25 PM

Hey, Pantherfan, in case you were wondering, I am still an idiot.

Posted by: Doofus Dan is an Idiot | Sep 30, 2007 9:29:51 PM

Congratulations on giving Carr a job. He is a LOSER, but only time will tell. (He is, however, a fine person).

Disgusted Texan fan from Houston: rotsa ruck!

Posted by: Dumbnang | Sep 30, 2007 9:30:44 PM

I'm going to once again state this...but I'm begging!

PLEASE DRILL FOX ABOUT THIS TOMORROW! Don't let him dance around this. He needs to be fired and the more he dances around the questions the the more everyone will see him as the fraud that he is.

Posted by: Janitor Dan | Sep 30, 2007 9:34:43 PM

Maybe Jenkins' outburst is what this team needs to wake up...

or maybe it'll just land him on another team after this year... :(

Posted by: Mav | Sep 30, 2007 9:35:17 PM

Rumor has it that the game was going to be canceled because the Panthers were worried about a mysterious white powder on the field that they have never seen. Turns out that the powder was actually the goal line!

Go Bucs!!

Posted by: Tom the Bucs Fan | Sep 30, 2007 9:38:56 PM

QUESTION THE HELL OUT OF JOHN FOX ABOUT KRIS' COMMENTS! DON'T HOLD ANYTHING BACK. THE FANS NEED ANSWERS!

Posted by: Max | Sep 30, 2007 9:42:46 PM

Can we say IT WAS WHAT IT WAS?

Posted by: Adam | Sep 30, 2007 9:43:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to sleep well tonight how about you Panzie fans? LOOOOSSSSEEERRS

Posted by: Doofus Dan | Sep 30, 2007 9:44:19 PM