« Jake update on hold; Bridges feeling good | Main | Jake's No. 3 »

September 28, 2007

Stan: On watching practice, and offensive posts

I was just reading some of the comments on my last blog and wanted to clear up one thing in particular. During the season, we are allowed to watch practice but are NOT ALLOWED to write about what we see, according to an agreement between the NFL and the association of writers who cover the league.

A very obvious example why –suppose a team is working on a double reverse for the first time this week, and it’s in all the papers. So long, element of surprise. We can report on injuries, and that’s it.

This is obviously not the best situation from our viewpoint, because that means we can’t relay what we’re seeing to you fans. And while Panthers coach John Fox worries about giving an opponent a competitive advantage – he uses that phrase often – and sometimes carries it to the extreme, he’s actually somewhat liberal in allowing media to watch the workouts.

A number of NFL teams close all of their practices.

So why do we bother going to practice at all? To get context. Knowing who is playing at what position and what stuff the team is working on for the upcoming opponent enables us to do a better job of covering the game on Sunday.

It also helps our daily coverage in more subtle ways; i.e., when we interview someone during the week, it’s always for a reason.

I want to add one other thing. We try to keep these blogs clean.

It’s fine to have fun, but not at the expense of offending someone or being crude in your comments. If you are offended by something someone has written here, get in touch with our sports editor (mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com), Kelvin Hart (khart@charlotteobserver.com) or online@charlotteobserver.com.

Any of those folks will look at the comment, and if it is offensive, immediately remove it.

That said, let’s stick to football. We have some posters on this thread who know more about the game than I do, and I like to read those guys. But a post might have 20 comments and 7,000 hits. Keep in mind that you’re not simply writing to the guy who posted three comments ago.

Let’s keep it clean and at least somewhat respectful for everyone.

STAN OLSON

Posted by Observer Sports on September 28, 2007 at 05:30 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well said, Pat!!! Let's stick to football for a change!

Posted by: Panther Fan in GA | Sep 28, 2007 5:49:15 PM

I agree with you Pat that people need to be more civil on here and really on the Web in general. I don't know why some people believe that all courtesy goes out the window just because they're communicating over the net.

Posted by: Jerad H. | Sep 28, 2007 5:58:08 PM

way to go Stan

Posted by: stonymabry | Sep 28, 2007 6:34:48 PM

So are you saying that the Panthers are working on a double reverse?

Posted by: Mick | Sep 28, 2007 6:50:57 PM

Talking crap on these blogs is all in good fun. It is the expected that anything involving sports can become quite debatable. To see passion in numerous blog comments is exciting, entertaining, and stimulating. These self righteous people that are complaining about obscene material need to get a sense of humor (LEARN TO LAUGH AT THINGS).

Posted by: wimps | Sep 28, 2007 6:57:50 PM

Nice Comments Stan

I have been a 6 ticket season holder since the beginning. That's a lotta money - so I don't see how giving my opinion about poor football is being a fair weather fan. I expect more from my team.

Save the name calling for someone else.

Posted by: kel | Sep 28, 2007 9:42:54 PM

Well said, Stan. As a frequent poster on the Tampa Bay paper sites and a frequent reader here, I like to see good, clean fun.

I've tried to keep posters in line on "our site", but, there's only so much I can do. Nice to see you do a post on this to remind folks.

Let's make it a clean, well-fought game this weekend. Go Bucs!

P.S. Go Jr., too...

I can't wait 'til Daytona!

Posted by: Mr.T | Sep 28, 2007 10:22:18 PM

Stan, you're so silly. Today I was out picking flowers in the field and saw a pretty buttefly, then out of nowhere I saw a beautiful rainbow with doves flying up into the clouds....

Excuse me Stan what did you say???

Posted by: catdawgman | Sep 28, 2007 10:25:54 PM

first of all, catdawgman, hilarious.

second, i really thought i was about to read an article about our offense throwing post patterns on sunday. stan olson, keeping us on our toes.

Posted by: tomP | Sep 29, 2007 12:16:51 AM

Although that may be true this is still America.Freedom of speech to voice what we want and say what we feel no matter how vulger.Anything a person can say or type could to some effect offend another.So dont try to deny or say we cant voice our own oppion,thats anti-american,even if it does hurt another poor pathetic soul.It's part of life and this world,your not always going to agree with what another says or feels about you...........

Posted by: WillHas4LipsNbLeeds4SevenDays..... | Sep 29, 2007 12:26:28 AM

p.s. I forgot Will is still pu$$y........It's my American right to say that and even Captain America agrees,even if I cant spell opinion........

Posted by: WillHas4LipsNbLeeds4SevenDays | Sep 29, 2007 12:30:42 AM

This is the internet, not America. The people who run this blog are entitled to make any rules/standards they wish.

Posted by: Actually... | Sep 29, 2007 1:09:14 AM

Stan, kudos. Well explained. For every post on these blogs by someone who actually has anything to add there are about 943,622 3rd grade level namecallers. It's sad. And a big reason why I don't post on the C.Com Panthers forum anymore.
He's right, Fox allows a lot more access than say Belichick does. I can't blame guys who report on the team for wanting to keep Fox's trust.

Posted by: CKL | Sep 29, 2007 1:19:43 AM

Nicely written Mr. Olsen, I enjoy reading the blogs and the comments on this site its unfortunate that some people choose to clutter it up with stupidity.

That being said, I have a real football question for you or anyone who'd like to throw their two cents in. If Carr starts at quarterback this week, what do you think the possibilities are of Drew Carter having a big game at wide out are?
It seems like Carr would have the most comfort throwing to him because they have both been on the 2nd team practicing together all year to this point. I remember him having a big game last year when that other guy we had at backup was in (I know his name but now that he's gone I'd rather not ever have to say it or type it again Thank God he's gone!).

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2007 2:23:18 AM

We Suck!!! Bunch of damn pansies. I am turing in my PSL tickets for mvoie tickets.

Posted by: Carolina Fan | Sep 29, 2007 3:26:53 AM

Carter or Colbert are gonna have to have big games because Chuckie is not even going to mess with letting Smitty beat him. They are gonna roll a safety over top of 89 all game and have those LBs sitting wide on the underneath stuff. They probably will given try to bait Carr a couple times and try to get a pick 6 by jumping 89's short routes at the expense of leaving holes elsewhere.

In short, Carr is going to have to look elsewhere and hope will get a running game going, pinching those LBs and safeties up an in. Then and only then do I think 89 comes open.

Posted by: JAT | Sep 29, 2007 7:32:26 AM

Well Stan if you guys would write something substantial once in a while then we probably wouldnt be this hard on you. How many Steve Smith feels disrespected, Steve Smith needs another WR, John Fox is on the hot seat articles do we really need. Read a philly or dallas paper sometime and see how they cover the team. Quit trying to make friends and do your job.

Posted by: real panther | Sep 29, 2007 8:07:02 AM

Thanks for the post stan. good stuff. Also, thanks for the info on how to report these punks that ruining my reading experience. BTW, the constitution gives a freedom of speech to all, but also protects all... Younger folks and those of higher character should be freely be able to read comments on a public site withou being constantly offended by you punks. So get a clue before you start citing constituional law according you Utube... got it!?!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 29, 2007 9:35:29 AM

How to fix the Panthers:

1. Make the Johnson C Smith band the official band, let them play during the game and at every pregame and halftime.

2. Ban cell phone use, let fans fill empty seats after the end of the first quarter, no matter where the seat is.

3. Stop messing around and trade for a power back to compliment the other two. We need a hammer, and although nobody ever talks about him, Hoover doesn't do anything but swinging gate block and run slow. When is the last time you saw him drive someone backwards on a run? We need our version of The Bus. We could call him something more civilized to match the Panthers and the press call for teacakes and lemonade, like the Ethically Diverse Mass Transit Guy.

4. Make up your mind what position Peppers is playing. If you want to make him a monster and move him all over the field, go ahead. Or make him a DE. Or put him in the middle, how about that? Let him shed some of the fake pounds he puts on to play DE and then watch the havoc.

5. Safety blitz. Review the concept and apply.

6. Oops. Safety. Review that concept and apply before you employ number 5.

7. Put your new receiver in the game. Who cares if he makes mistakes, he at least has upside. We bought a new car, let's drive it.

8. Get rid of Sir Purr and make the mascot someone dressed like Hallie Berry from Catwoman. Who says the panther has to be male. A mascot that says domination can come in many forms.

9. Play Ric Flair is full "whooo" on the big screen every time there is a big hit.

10. If grown men want to go shirtless and paint themselves, let them. Church is what happens before the game. I know this comment may offend someone, but if it does, I apologize in advance and hope that when you do come out of the closet you have a smooth transition.

Posted by: willy | Sep 29, 2007 10:06:38 AM

Also, to the first two posters, you thank Pat for the blog, when, in fact it was written by Stan. This is offensive to Stan, and you can consider yourselves on report. I cannot believe your insensitivity and the manner in which you slighted Stan. Judging from their photos, I think this is a clear cut case of age discrimination. I think it is fair to insist that when sportswriters stick to sportswriting only you can insist that readers stick to football only in response to any column. I don't really need to know Tom Sorenson's opinions of Led Zeppelin to gain knowledge of the Panthers do I? By the way, as a CCR fan, I was offended by his failure to mention them as a great band as well.

Posted by: willy | Sep 29, 2007 10:34:10 AM

Actually, I like to see passion on the blog, just not vulgarity. Kids read this stuff too. Taking shots at me or Pat is just part of it and I have no problem with that. It's when there's stuff that I wouldn't want kids reading (and a lot of them read these), that I have a problem.
Oh, and Tom absolutely should have mentioned CCR. Those guys may have been the peak of western civilization

Posted by: stan olson | Sep 29, 2007 10:43:22 AM

I do agree that no matter what you have to say, vulgarity is the least common denominator of communication, and is the band-aid of the ignorant in an attempt to hide a lack of vocabulary and education. One question, does Pat really look that much like Colin Montgomery in person? Oh yeah...Panthers. Uhh.....is Chris Gamble still on the team?

Posted by: willy | Sep 29, 2007 10:53:02 AM

First of all, good post Stan.
Second, all the vulgarity is coming in most part from fans of other teams jamming up our blogs - namely the Tampa idiots.
Third, how about if you like what you see at practice, without naming plays, etc., let us know. Give us some hope man!
GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Ben | Sep 29, 2007 11:15:28 AM

First of all, good post Stan.
GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Ben | Sep 29, 2007 11:15:52 AM

First of all, good post Stan.
GO PANTHERS!