« Jenkins blasts Panthers, calls effort garbage | Main | Jenkins discusses state of team; Peppers talks, too »

October 01, 2007

Fox has little to say after defeat

1001panthers5 John Fox just finished his weekly day-after-the-game news conference. After reviewing the film and getting some sleep, Fox said ... well, basically, nothing.

So, if you’re still looking for the only insightful explanation of Sunday’s disaster against Tampa Bay, we once again give you the locker-room words of defensive tackle Kris Jenkins in their entirety:

"You all ready (clears throat)? All right, I’m going to be honest. I think the players owe the fans an apology. I would be as upset as they are if I had to sit in the stands for four hours and look at that garbage. I’m going to be honest with you. That’s what it was, garbage.

I apologize to you Pat because I didn’t put everything out as far as the issue (in an Observer story last week, where Jenkins challenged his teammates to handle prosperity better). This is our issue as a team. As a team collectively, we have no heart. We have no energy. We have no drive. Football is about pride and passion. I’m going to repeat that again. Football is about pride and passion. The pride and the passion that you have for this game makes you want to win.

It’s not about the money. It’s not about looking the part. It’s not about standing on the field so everybody can see you on TV and that you look good. It’s about pride and heart. If you have those two, if you win or lose, you’re going to look like a football team.

That’s why we have issues with prosperity. That’s why we have issues when things look good. That’s why we can’t get enough together to look and act like a football team. This is not a 9-to-5 job. This is a game. It is a street fight. It is a gladiator sport and I apologize that sometimes I don’t look the part for what people want me to be. I’m not the weight that everybody wants me to be. But when I step on that field, what you are going to see is pride and heart because I value this game. I love it and that is what is frustrating me. We don’t have that.

We went out there and I felt embarrassed. I walked out the little line or whatever you come through to go play and I walked out and basically, in certain way, I challenged their team. And I challenged my team, because when you step out there like that and you do something like that, you better back it up and we didn’t. We got broke off. We really got broke off and I’m embarrassed to say so.

Right now, my heart hurts. It really does. It’s hard to sit there week after week and go through this. This is what’s not being addressed. Week in and week out, we might say this and we might say that or we need to change this. It’s not that you can’t pay for pride and heart. It might good when you look at the stats or when you look at someone’s 40 time or you look at everything else. But it doesn’t matter how many skills you have. It doesn’t matter how good you look when you catch a pass or when you run the ball or when you tackle somebody or cover somebody.

It’s not going to matter if you don’t have those two things, because this is the NFL. It is the National Football League. It is a professional sport and you have people out here, such as myself, who love this game enough that they’re going to put it all out on the field.

Tampa Bay came and they did that and they royally broke their foot off in our butt. I have nothing else to say. I’m upset about this, but I wanted to say that.’’

Posted by Observer Sports on October 1, 2007 at 01:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

Let me guess.....his answer......"execution"

Posted by: Matt A. | Oct 1, 2007 1:47:01 PM

It is what it is!

Posted by: Steven in the words of John Fox | Oct 1, 2007 1:57:28 PM

Posted by: Mute | Oct 1, 2007 1:58:32 PM

I am so finished with this asshole. Why does he think that he is better than everyone. What has he done. Gave up 30 some points as defensive coordinater for the Giants against a bad Ravens offense. Can't produce back to back winning seasons with the Panthers.

Good luck next year as a Special teams coach with Idaho St.

Posted by: Charles | Oct 1, 2007 2:03:56 PM

It's time for an obvious and sorely needed coaching change.....someone like Bill Cowher who coaches with some fire and has his men PREPARED to play and execute each and every week.

www.firejohnfox.com

Posted by: RK | Oct 1, 2007 2:20:46 PM

Kris was certainly correct in his assesment and I personally appreciate his apology. The fans are so hungry to cheer for something good. I was at the game, and the crowd went crazy when Carr "flipped" for the first down. That was a great example of heart. Unfortunately we've only seen a handful of those examples this season, most coming from Steve Smith. I just think it goes to prove that the fans here will cheer and be supportive when given something to cheer about.

parking costs - $10
food/beverages for tailgate - $75
family tickets to game - $300
1 round of drinks/food at game - $45
total cost of panther "fun" for afternoon - $430
feeling that you wasted almost $500 and 5 hours of your afternoon - PRICELESS

Posted by: Bryan D. | Oct 1, 2007 2:23:50 PM

Yes, Fox could fire his players up more. But it is the player's job to be ready to play to teh utmost of his ability on Sunday. If that's asking too much, maybe they could do something else for a living.

Posted by: firedup | Oct 1, 2007 2:25:23 PM

I'm sick of this s$%#. All he can ever say is "we didn't execute." I think John Fox doesn't care about winning or losing.

Posted by: DS | Oct 1, 2007 2:25:40 PM

Yesterday's game was such a disappointment. I admire Jenkins for at least acknowledging that there is a lack of heart on this team. I personally think that ultimately falls on the head coach's lap. I heard Fox's post game interview on the long drive home..."they played way better than us on all three sides." Way better? C'mon,that doesn't sound like a NFL coach speaking! Most of the griping that I hear is about the coaching ability (or should I say lack of). There is too much talent on this team for a losing season!

Posted by: J | Oct 1, 2007 2:43:48 PM

My opinion is Fox is waiting for Tom Caughlin to get fired in New York so he can get the Giant head coaching job... Rumor was if the Giants did not get into the playoffs this year, and win some playoff games, he would be gone. then Fox could go back to NY where he had some success and is loved by the fans. I certainly don't think this is all Fox's fault, but he is the head coach and is responsible for the product on the field. Ultimately its his head that will roll. It would benefit him to axe some of his coaches to try and avoid that... and I would start with Trgovac. Millions of dollars tied up in what is supposed to be a great defense, and it looks pitiful. Obviously Trgovac is not doing something right...

Posted by: Mike R | Oct 1, 2007 2:44:08 PM

The sorriest performance by
a "football" team Ive seen
since ive been watching football
and im 64.
I think it is not just one person
but a team attitude that needs to
be adjusted.
When the real Panthers show up they
are damn right scarey

Posted by: D Shoemake | Oct 1, 2007 2:45:20 PM

Posted by: J | Oct 1, 2007 2:45:23 PM

Since the players don't show up for home games, the fans should take the next game off.

Posted by: Joe Smo | Oct 1, 2007 2:50:45 PM

Marty Shottenheimer lives in Lake Norman, he went 14-2 last year.

Posted by: Anthony | Oct 1, 2007 2:55:20 PM

Somebody get BILL COWHER's address.I will walk from my house and pick him up AND CARRY HIM TO THE STADIUM if the fire JOHN FOX. And i live in MARYLAND!

Posted by: BEHAVE29 | Oct 1, 2007 3:05:16 PM

Ok, so John Fox had little to say? Well WHAT DID HE SAY?!!!!! How about filling us in on the little that he did say instead of reposting the same entry.

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 1, 2007 3:37:14 PM

Why don't you post these "nothing" comments? I'd rather make that judgement for myself, thank you.

Oh, I forgot. The Observer Sports Dept is supposed to tell me what to think. Thanks guys.

Posted by: mm | Oct 1, 2007 3:38:43 PM

IT SEEMED LIKE THE GUYS JUST WAS NOT MOTIVATED TO PLAY,JAKE WAS OUT OF THE GAME,THEY DIDN'T SEEM TOO POSITIVE.COACH, MAYBE IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO CALL MIKE MINTER AND LET HIM COME OUT AND GIVE THEM A MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH.THAT'S JUST AN IDEA,HE SEEMED TO INFLUENCE THEM ALOT WHEN HE WAS ON THE TEAM.

Posted by: FE | Oct 1, 2007 3:39:05 PM

All PSL owners should sell their tickets to Colts fans and all Panther fans that do show up should cheer for the Colts so to at least create the impression that this is a road game for the Panthers.

Posted by: mbm | Oct 1, 2007 3:39:22 PM

Okay..Enough said concerning the fire, effort & desire of the Carolina Panthers. Everyone knows that this has been the "status quo" of this team for quite some time. Too many premadonna's who think their &^$( don't stink. I will definitely call them out. Peppers is not being used correctly, we all realize that he is a physicall specimen. But why would you drop a 6'7 290lbs Lineman into courage. How about get his %@$ in position to put pressure on the quarterback. OL- No words can describe our pieced-meal line that changes week-to-week. Colbert and Carter, I believe could possibly start for Independence High School and with a probably the most dynamic wide receiver in the fame today, why can we not get the ball into Steve Smith's hands? Finally, Dwayne Jarret is a bust! Hurney got rid of Keyshawn for a player that finally suited up for one game but has not show in flashes of potential performance. GM decisions are a bust and the coaches need to be replaced, Def Corrdiator, Special Teams, and Head Coach and especially Hurney. Hey Richardson, you are truly a smart guy how about exercising your discretion and get rid of this underperforming coaches and players or else your ass will have empty stadium for the football games with slumping sells of everything. The Carolina Fans can weather a storm but we cannot and will not stand by and watch consistently dumb decisions being exectuted by your GM and Head Coaches. Finally, Mr, Rihardson if you want your team to win you might want to seek to get the Panthers in the Class 4A with independence. You might be able to pull off some wins. I won't comment on your defense. Get rid of Dan Morgan, and the Safeties! I like Harris b/c he will hit but Deke and Gamble are two DB's you can do without! Moroever, I believe that JOhn Fox and Hurney are the best players on the opposing teams each week!

Posted by: Sam | Oct 1, 2007 3:41:59 PM

Here is what John Fox had to say regarding the team and Jenkins, its a typical Foxy answer but it would have been worth posting by Pat and Stan; props to Steve Reed of the Gaston Gazette and CarolinaGrowl.com on this one:

On Monday, John Fox addressed Jenkins comments by saying, "I think after the way we peformed there is frustration and that is what those comments are based on. I don't know if it was as much a lack of effort as it was a lack of execution. We had a couple of critical third downs on the opening drive where we could have played better and we allowed them to convert."

Fox said Jenkins' comments were "understandable."

When asked if he feels like his team has heart and passion, Fox said, "I think just looking at what went down in the second half, I think that speaks a little bit about that. But that doesn't change what happened in the first half."

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 1, 2007 3:48:45 PM

see i told u guys last week that the bucs were a good team and guys all doubted me sayin wat a joke and that there defense was bad, man i hate that we lost but i told u so it was like the panthers didnt come to play which is a big dissapointment

Posted by: Dwayne | Oct 1, 2007 3:59:01 PM

Here is something for the fans:

Well, let's catch up, after a productive hour-plus in the locker room.

QB Jake Delhomme said surgery on his right elbow is a possiblity, but called it a "last-resort type of deal."

MLB Dan Morgan came in wearing a cast on his right foot, saying he had a partially torn Achilles tendon. The cast comes off later this week and he's hopeful of playing again soon.

And then DT Kris Jenkins arrived, saying he didn't back off from any of Sunday's statements, and suggesting he might have asked to be traded as a result of the "issues" that bothered him to the point of speaking out.

Posted by: Darin Gantt | Oct 1, 2007 4:19:27 PM

Nah, that wasnt really Darin Gantt; although this is what appeared on his website, he isnt the one who posted it on this site.

Posted by: dont get so worked up | Oct 1, 2007 4:22:11 PM

TRY TO CALL HIS SHOW ON WBT TONIGHT. THEY WILL CUT YOU OFF BEFORE YOU CAN ASK THE HARD QUESTIONS. HURNEY IS TO BLAME JUST AS MUCH AS FOX IF NOT MORE.

Posted by: Carl Leazer | Oct 1, 2007 4:24:19 PM