« QBs still up in the air | Main | Everything but rubbing dirt in it ... »

October 30, 2007

Kicking game struggles not limited to returns

It's pretty obvious Carolina continues to suffer in the return game, much as it did last year. But there are other problems beyond the simple fact that the Panthers can't seem to EVER break a long punt or kickoff return.
            John Kasay is a superb field goal kicker, outstanding in the clutch and about as accurate as they come. But his kickoffs have left something to be desired. He is last in the league in touchbacks
(kicking the ball into the end zone and not having it returned) with one. By comparision, four kickers have ten or more, and Oakland's Sebastian Janikowski has 17.
            This, along with Carolina's inability to break returns, translates into a deficit in field position to start drives following kickoffs. Panthers'  opponents have started from the 28.6 yardline, on average. Carolina has started from the 21.9 mark, tied with Denver for last in the NFL.
              -- An aside to MattDaddy; we can't put coach John Fox's press conference up on video; it's against league rules. Saw your question and figured a lot of other people might be wondering the same  thing.

- Stan Olson

Posted by Observer Sports on October 30, 2007 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

Speaking of league rules is it against them to show replays of penalties or challenged plays or just against league rules not to fill every remaining second with ads at BoA stadium. Our stadium game day operations team is awful.

Posted by: Warren | Oct 30, 2007 12:37:24 PM

Is it also illegal to just give us the audio? if it is, then is it illegal to print out a transcript?

Posted by: mattdaddy | Oct 30, 2007 1:08:58 PM

Stan,

I actually posted a similar comment to the Q&A site. But lets take it a step further. Ever since we parted ways with our former special teams coach, we've been going down hill. We used to always see at least a couple of returned kick offs, blocked punts & field goals and other wins for Spec. teams. But now, we don't rush the kicks and we don't block for the returns. Were is everybody???? And I don't think the return guys should take all the blame either. As for the kicker, I love Kasay... but maybe its time to retire or at least have the punter do kick offs?

Posted by: Chet | Oct 30, 2007 1:55:17 PM

Does this tell ANYONE that we need to can the special teams coach? How can we be last in everything and the coaches or owners think it is OK, that we need to just execute better, a few tweaks.

Posted by: altdude | Oct 30, 2007 2:07:32 PM

In my opinion, the sorry stats on special teams, not just kickoff, speaks to the lack of depth beyond the starters of this team. Do you see that we still have Beason on special teams? Why,why would you have a starter on special teams. If you can't cobble together a good special teams unit out of the non-starters on your football team, those that see performance there as a way to get playing time, then your talent and development of the rest of your team is sorry at best. I really like John Fox, and appreciate his attempts to turd polish, but trying to convince anyone that we should be happy with the record is silly, because nobody believes that he really believes it. The talent level beyond the starters is really pitiful. Remember, they get paid big bucks too.

Posted by: Willy | Oct 30, 2007 3:19:42 PM

I agree with Warren about the ridiculous BOA constant "simon says" routine. Do they have to be so obvious that they see us as nothing more than 70,000 captive-audience that MUST be marketed to/entertained avery moment? I have club seats and I swear to God I go to the concourse sometime just to quit hearing Robinson talk. "Hold up your harris teeter VIC card".. "turn to page so-and-so in your program" " Ok fans now it is time for"....blah blah blah. Here's an idea: show a replay of each and every play and let us catch our breath during dead-balls so we can drink our drink and talk to our friends. Then we will be ready to cheer when live action starts.

Posted by: longtime-firsttime | Oct 30, 2007 4:05:09 PM

Guys, the commercials on the video boards would drive me crazy if I owned PSLs. My brother does, and he can't believe that he paid a pile of money for seats, only to be besieged by ads, instead of getting to see replays.

Posted by: stan olson | Oct 30, 2007 4:09:54 PM

I believe that they could manage it so that they could pump up the crowd, and get the revenue from advertisers. But, whoever is in charge of what is played and when during a game is truly an idiot, and is either tremendously out of touch with the fans or doesn't care, since a PSL seat is paid for whether there is a butt in it or not. I wouldn't mind the ads, but they could bunch them up at halftime, and at quarter changes or could have an advertiser sponsor something that pumps the crowd up. For example, show the Panther hit of the game so far sponsored by BC Powder, plug BC for five seconds, then show someone from the other teams getting his head knocked off. You can combine the two, you just have to have some imagination and feel the need to get the crowd enthused. Perhaps the owners have developed an elitist view, we are now the little people that are ungrateful for what they have delivered to us, and we should shut up and be happy with what we get. Are they that out of touch with reality? How could they possibly not see what everybody else in the league sees and every TV commentator sees? Perhaps they see but from the luxury of the skybox they can't quite grasp it. Owners, come down from Mt. Olympus and joint the mortals during the game, try to remember what is was like to spend a good percentage of your weekly wage at a game, and see if you feel you get what you pay for.

Posted by: Willy | Oct 30, 2007 4:33:56 PM

anyone else find it hard to beleive that for a marquee game like sunday that towels could not have been given out to everyone? same as last year with the dallas sunday night game. nothing. na-da. now, I like my seat cushion I found in my club seat, but I would rather all 70K fans have a towel to wave. sometimes this stadium/team is so clueless. I do not mund commercials running. it is the games such as "celebrity look-alikes" that are concocted that is wearing thin.

Posted by: longtime-firsttime | Oct 30, 2007 4:35:55 PM

I am in 309, and there is a speaker right over my head--underneath the upper level--and for me it is like sitting on the sofa next to your brother-in-law who will not shut up while trying to watch the game. It really is getting ridiculous. If they let 30 seconds of silence occur, I guess they look at it like WFNZ having 30 seconds of "dead-air"...I look at it like "whew! thanks!"

Posted by: longtime-firsttime | Oct 30, 2007 4:41:54 PM

Johnson C Smith as the house band.
Sponsors that are tied to pump up ads, etc.
Tradition - whole stadium doing the Ric Flair Whoooo on the replay of a big hit or good play.
A Super Hugo version of Sir Purr that gets up into the crowd.
Blow some stuff up.

Posted by: Willy | Oct 30, 2007 4:48:25 PM

we have to get smith the ball. if our only other receiving threat is king, then it will have to be via punt returns or reverses, or maybe even a direct snap like we did with d.williams at ATL last year. look how creative the Pats are. linebackers as receivers and running backs! While we are at it, put peppers at middle linebacker for a few plays...we have a lot less to lose than new england and they are the ones remaining unpredictable.

Posted by: longtime-firsttime | Oct 30, 2007 4:50:25 PM

We should start a petition to get the replays played on the big "little" board.
During replay review by the refs they never show the replay to the fans. Between that and the dumb NFL logo in the middle of the field you would hardly know you were at the Home game. Jerry needs to do something about the home game stadium. It's really fallen behind the standard for home stadium entertainment.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 30, 2007 5:03:57 PM

I can see all of us are puffed up and up-set with the team,but we can not hate them or go for another team,We dieHard fans,are probly the only ones that fill so strong about this,I would say the majority dosent,they just go with the flow and hope the best,WICH IS THE BEST THING TO DO!,another year of 2006 six is hard to take,I will say,If we dont make the play-offs,Fox is walkin on thin ice,We have new players but not a new coach,And lets all REMEMBER our starting Qb is out,wich can be a negative,From here on out we have to go with what we have,Its time to get pass all the junk talk,and encourage them and make the best of what we have,cause its all we have,LETS MAKE THE BEST OF IT!

Posted by: #1 Fan | Oct 30, 2007 5:28:22 PM

Maybe the stats reflect they are not scoring very often!

Posted by: slipps | Oct 30, 2007 7:18:54 PM

YES! We need more WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS during the game. If anything it could become a signature yell for the crowd. And YES... blow stuff up!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Wooooooooooooooo! | Oct 30, 2007 9:10:57 PM

There was a story in the observer last year about Ric Flair having an altercation with his ex wife. The following Sunday The Ric Flair WWWOOOOOO was taken down. It has not returned since.

It makes me sick hearing 100 commercials at every game. Why can't we have a home field advantage. We welcome the opposing team fans, show them to their seat. There was a colts fan looking for their seat on Sunday. The usher told him the easy way to his seat. I told the usher that he should have sent him to the other side of the field. His response was "I can't I will get reported." Can you believe this. This is football not golf or tennis.

I have made a point of avoiding all sponsors that that goober of a pa announcer talks about at each home game.

Posted by: pslholder | Oct 30, 2007 9:52:34 PM

I can see 20 camera angles of a disputed play at home but can't see one on the jumbotron. Why not? Sell replays to advertisers. Fans would really pay attention to the replays and would surely notice the advertisers making it possible.
Plus the stadium needs more speakers spread around the bowl set at reasonable volumes. We cant hear in the end zone but cranking up the volume on the speaker at 300 level would not be good for those fans.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 30, 2007 11:09:47 PM

And that's why I prefer the "home" experience. No traffic, no waiting in line, cheap food, no blaring ads, all the replays I want, a clean bathroom, and my personal favorite, a comfy couch. It's a shame when fans would rather stay at home and watch the game on TV rather than enjoy the "real deal."
Sucks to be us.

Posted by: hillbilly | Oct 31, 2007 5:49:13 AM

I am a PSL owner and die hard fan. Every year since Scotty Obrien left our special teams have gotten worse,I understand he was one of the best. So the first year after he left I was not suprised at a drop off, but instead of getting better, last year was worse and this year we are anemic. John Fox wants to play a ball control, no mistakes offense and field position dictated by special teams and a stingy defense. We are failing in all areas. Special teams are bad, bad field position, offense that can not run the ball consisitenly, no ball control and a defense that is not getting pressure on the quarterback.I am not an expert but this has to be addressed. Sorry about 4-3 look at the wins, St luis, Arizona, Atlanta and the losses, teams with winning records.

Posted by: jay himes | Oct 31, 2007 10:22:44 AM

Guys,the problem with BOA is that its nothern-influence by all these damn foreigners. We get mexicans from the south and yankees from the north. BOA needs to get some southern tradtion like fly the confederate flag. But the stadium does have commercial tradtions, so you know thats always good.

Posted by: joe | Oct 31, 2007 7:57:07 PM